Carrara Academy for Light of Heaven

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi LoH :)

Depending on how much an object is deformed by modifiers, the Hot-point (centre axis) will change to stay in the centre of the object, which is why the deformed terrain is above the level where the flat terrain was.

There's no such thing as the floor :) but there are a couple of ways to move things to a specific point in carrara..
    .. try this.

Select the terrain object,.. Switch to the Directors Camera (if you're not already using it),. then press " 0 " (zero)
    this will Zoom the camera to fit the selected object into the view.

you can then manually position the terrain where you need it.

Or,..You can hit "Caps lock" and then adjust the position of any object's (hot-point) (the three R,G,B, arrows) without moving the object.
    this allows you to position the hotspot on a specific point in the model, then you can move the model where you need it.
    You can Hit Caps lock again to "lock the hotspot".
    once the hotspot is locked, you can move it to position the object where you need it in the scene.

Use the split views, if you need to move things around in the scene, since it gives you an "overall" view of the scene from the Top, Left, front etc...
    and it's much easier to select and move objects in a BIG way when you're not looking through your camera1.

Use the Directors Camera a much as possible for working in the scene,.
    If you find a nice view / angle,. you can save that position in the Camera menu,. then change to your main camera, and load that saved position,. ..

another way to adjust the terrain is to use the "motion" tab on the right, which gives you the numeric values for X, Y, and Z,. you can adjust the Z (height) there.

Or you could create an object,... EG: a Target helper object,. then select your terrain and go to EDIT / ALIGN
    you'll get a little pop up window with three arrows,. you can click on any, or ALL of the arrows to align the objects to the same point.

In the terrain editor, there's also a "filter" to Zero the edge of a terrain,. as when you add terrain generators like Mountain, they deform the sides of the terrain ,(so it can be Seamlessly tiled) .

If this isn't what you need,. you can add a "Zero edge filter" which will level the edges of the terrain, and allow you to adjust the filter effect

I hope some of that makes some sense to someone.. :)

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Now you all in trouble, boys and girls! The king of dumb questions has a new toy. Yeppers, I am now the proud owner of Carrara 8 Pro. Well, I will be when I download it, it's a monster!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

lol! you found the thread already!!
    I just suggested in "new hope" you come here!!! %-P

edited December 1969

lol! you found the thread already!!
    I just suggested in "new hope" you come here!!! %-P

Way ahead!

It's not downloading properly though, all my downloads are finishing prematurely (hey, happens to the best of us at some point!)

I'll try again in the morning. Might be because I've absolutely rinsed my broadband today!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Don't forget to at least clear your cache before you try another download attempt. PArt downloads have a terrible habit of lingering in the cache, causing subsequent attempts to fail at around the same point.

edited December 1969

Light of Heaven,... :)

I completely forgot about Sparrowhawke's (drop to floor) plugin (FREE) at http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/
    it should be part of the Beta plugin pack (zip file) at the top of the main page.

:)

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Don't forget to at least clear your cache before you try another download attempt. PArt downloads have a terrible habit of lingering in the cache, causing subsequent attempts to fail at around the same point.

Yeah, fallen foul of that before, but now I've got most of it in full chunky goodness I think. Still downloading the main program.
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

WHAT?! Did I read that right?

Andy, let's have a drink to celebrate this day when the great BlumBlumShub obtained CARRARA 8 PRO! That leaes Jeff and Anne to crack. :P

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Andy, Is that snail available in poser format ? or even OBJ as long as it has material zones.

Not sure if Andy saw this, so I thought I'd bump it up for Cho.

edited December 1969

Where do I stick the .dat and .mcx files?

edited December 1969

WHAT?! Did I read that right?

Andy, let's have a drink to celebrate this day when the great BlumBlumShub obtained CARRARA 8 PRO! That leaes Jeff and Anne to crack. :P

Well, I wouldn't say I'm great, but yep, got me Carrara 8 Pro, and hoping to get 8.5 when she's released. I've got the beta but I don't know how stable she is so not actually installed!
    edited December 1969

I never installed it. I don't like betas. Mostly because they tend to crash or freeze, or so I've heard.

edited December 1969

I never installed it. I don't like betas. Mostly because they tend to crash or freeze, or so I've heard.

Well that's why they're betas. It's our job to throw as much crap at it as we can and try to break it, so that we can tell them what we were doing when it broke.
    edited December 1969

The funny thing is, C8Pro just crashed on me.

It seems to do that when I go in the shader room after leaving a scene open and doing nothing with it for a day or so then start a new scene. I end up having to reboot my computer or Carrara will keep crashing in the shader room. Everything else works fine until then.

edited December 1969

HI All :)

The C8.5 beta is pretty stable,. we're coming to the end of the current beta development, but as with all programs, they can crash.
    Beta's should be used for "testing" (messing around) rather than serious projects, so there's no risk of losing important work.

The beta is designed to allow you to have Both programs installed at the same time.

It should be installed to a different folder,. (it's Not an upgrade) it has a different serial number, uses different folders, and creates a different preferences file, this all makes it easier to test the beta against the full version, and to install / un-install it.
    So,.. if you're curious, and want to have a look at how Genesis functions in C8.5, with "Smart content" or how well your files transfer from Daz Studio in the new DUF format into Carrara, ..go for it. :)

LOH :)

There are some known issues in C8 with shader preview refreshing causing hangs or crashes while the user is adjusting things while that's happening,.. if that makes any sense.

Oh,.. I got the message about the snail from cho,. and we're good :) ..but thanks for bumping it :)

edited October 2012

Yes Snailie is now residing on my hard drive, waiting a chance to crawl into action as soon as I have more time to play rendering.

Be fun to see if I can give him an anisotropic shell.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes Snailie is now residing on my hard drive, waiting a chance to crawl into action as soon as I have more time to play rendering.

Be fun to see if I can give him an anisotropic shell.

Give him a what now?

An antiseptic smell?

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Hehe, cute!
    edited December 1969

He is a very nice snail. It is funny, I hate snails when they invade our garden and eat the plants, but at the same time I am fascinated by them, and like to have a snail I can use in renders. Plus. I collect glass, ornamental glass, and have one snail already, and as you can see I am already thinking of buying him a mate. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350617413086?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 I do hope this one is a female.

I wonder if glass snails can get together and produce baby snails, because I can assure you this price will increase as the end of the auction gets nearer. Murano glass is very collectable. The one I have I managed to Ninja for £9.+ p&p. I am getting very good at doing ebay Ninjas.

edited December 1969

Glass snails? Is that what my windows are made of? O_O

edited December 1969

I bought a frog with a solar lit belly but refused to buy the snail one as I kill snails.
    a German friend had a cousin on holiday who kept trying to save the snails from her as they are rare and protected there.
    the ones we get are introduced to Australia, native snails are very tiny and do not do much harm.
    there is no shortage of the introduced blighters!!

edited December 1969

Jacob, you can make a slimy trail in Carrara maybe using a path and particles!!

edited December 1969

I can TRY and make a slimeball, yes.

edited December 1969

WARNING: Dumb question.

Do things get stickier the higher the friction? Or lower?

And where do i put .dat and .mcx files?

edited December 1969

Guess what happened in the middle of makuifngf my disgusting slimeball...

AUTO UPDATE!

And I didn't save.

edited December 1969

I have it kind of set up. But i'm off fornow.

edited December 1969

HI :)

DAT and MCX files ...(that sounds like a plug-in) ...

Those should go into the "Extensions" folder, within the main Carrara program folder,. You can also create Sub folders, to keep additional plug-ins separate from the "default" carrara extensions.

Windows Automatic Update (which happily reboots your system while you're working in your favourite software)
    how wonderful ! ....the skills of these programmers must take years to develop. (sarcasm )

not a dumb question. :)

Do things get stickier the higher the friction? Or lower?

It should get stickier, the higher the friction value,.. bearing in mind that physics is all about both surfaces.
    for example, throwing something sticky against a block of ice,... the sticky thing will slide down the ice, since the ice isn't sticky.

friction also depends on the amount of surface area in contact, and the forces in the scene such as gravity.

if you fake the gravity with a direction force,. then you can control the amount of gravity force which will cause the object to drop to the floor.
    If you add a point force,. or a damping force,.. then you may be able to "Hold" the objects in the "stuck to the wall" position.

Also,.. bear in mind that Bullet physics in Carrara isn't fully developed yet,. and some things don't work as they should right now.

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Windows Automatic Update (which happily reboots your system while you're working in your favourite software)
    how wonderful ! ....the skills of these programmers must take years to develop. (sarcasm )
    Yeah, tell me about it. Luckily for me I saved my work and was only rendering when it happened.

Also,.. bear in mind that Bullet physics in Carrara isn't fully developed yet,. and some things don't work as they should right now.

What is Bullet Physics? In a nutshell like, not in full tech manual style, I don't want you to waste all day!
    edited October 2012

It's the trajectory of a bullet from a gun to my computer screen.

Okay, not really. But that's what might happen if I can't figure out WHY my bloody sphere flies UP instead of getting sucked to the wall by my point force. And yes, I did set the strength to a negative number and unchcked the default gravity like a good boy.

I don't really know what Bullet is exactly. But I'm sure Andy or Wendy can enlighten us.

Post edited by VIArts on