Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,137
    It is much easier to tile all the maps just like you have been doing, and then tile only the Cutout Opacity map with the Image Editor by the reciprocal of the general tiling. For example, if you tile the shader by 4 use image editor to tile cutout opacity by 1/4=.25. This is a technique for Iray rendering.
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I don't know how the other two folks were doing it, but for that scoop neckline one, I was using Surfaces and selecting each part individually but didn't explore the image editor/instance tiling tab. That's good to know, thanks!

But my problem was the scooped out neckline, the cut out slot, wasn't gone- not that I wanted to retain it. When I selected it in Surfaces, the entire top was there and shaded in. Will what you're saying assist with that problem?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited May 2016
    Novica said:
    Tjohn said:

My take on Akiko.

Really love that lighting, the glow on the hand and shoulder is very soothing. 

Thank you. I was experimenting with creating my own 3-point lighting from scratch. I also added an hdr light at a low intensity setting as a final fill light (and background).

http://www.daz3d.com/iradiance-light-probe-hdr-lighting-for-iray

Post edited by TJohn on

I have those but haven't tried them yet either. Sigh. Too many cool products! 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Khory said:

I'm pretty sure I know what is going wrong with the shaders. First if your going to retain a neckline etc your going to want to look at what is in the cut out slot and put that back. The crazy stuff is I think due to tiling. Most shaders are created so that the tiling can be adjusted to match the scale of the uv. What your going to have to do in this case is take the uv tiling on the shader to 1 and then if it looks funky (odds are good it will) then you will need to adjust the tiling for each image other than the cut out. So..be sure you have the object and the surfaces your going to use the shader on selected in the scene. Surface selection tool is easy to use to do that. Hold down the ctrl key to keep adding surfaces. Once you have all the surfaces you are using that shader on selected then go to the surface tab. Look for any textures in the image slot. When you see one click on it and you will get a popup list. Select image editor (not the LIE one) and click on it. It will have a couple of options but the one you want is the instance tiling tab. You can then select the amount of tilling you need to make the texture look correct on the dress. Be sure to do all the textures maps with the same tiling setting. You also can use the offset (here and the regular one) to make fabrics line up correctly if you have the patience.

edit: It isn't a bug by the way. It is just how these things work.

Thank you!  ugh so much still to learn!  I will give this a try as soon as I have another spare moment

barbult said:
    It is much easier to tile all the maps just like you have been doing, and then tile only the Cutout Opacity map with the Image Editor by the reciprocal of the general tiling. For example, if you tile the shader by 4 use image editor to tile cutout opacity by 1/4=.25. This is a technique for Iray rendering.

Also helpful although I totally suck at math.  Will try this as well.

And as Novica said part of the issue is that the tiling works just fine until you actually apply the cutout. which shows in the surfaces tab as completely filled in and doesn't show the cutout part at all.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:

It'd be nice to have a thread like that regarding all the products. Since we have them, if changes are made, it'd be good to know what got done. Wasn't Jay (nola, think it was) doing some kind of running thread with product changes? Was that metadata?

Anyway, Brigitte coming up. Lovely skin tones.

My thread is here:  Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013 (although since Jay Nola isn't doing the Genesis updates I've been doing them as well).  Unfortunately, it only covers products I have for the most part.

edited May 2016

Here is my take on Akiko.  I like her. I had forgotten she came with fantasy make up

Akiko Medieval Dress.png
    506 x 819 - 671K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

My thread is here:  Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013 (although since Jay Nola isn't doing the Genesis updates I've been doing them as well).  Unfortunately, it only covers products I have for the most part.

Ah, there tis. 

Sonja, very nice.There is a nice variety of makeups, I didn't really pay attention either.

Just back in from the barn, the ranch manager texted me that a horse was down (the owner of the stables is out of town so the manager was checking in with me every night.) Figures that the minute the owner is gone, something happens.  Long story short, horse is okay for the night and expecting improvement tomorrow. (And no, it's not Stetson. He was wondering why I was walking someone else's horse in the arena at 11pm at night.) 

Happy Memorial Day everyone- thinking of our veterans and our Armed Forces members who served our country. 

Novica said:

Ah, there tis. 

Sonja, very nice.There is a nice variety of makeups, I didn't really pay attention either.

Just back in from the barn, the ranch manager texted me that a horse was down (the owner of the stables is out of town so the manager was checking in with me every night.) Figures that the minute the owner is gone, something happens.  Long story short, horse is okay for the night and expecting improvement tomorrow. (And no, it's not Stetson. He was wondering why I was walking someone else's horse in the arena at 11pm at night.) 

Happy Memorial Day everyone- thinking of our veterans and our Armed Forces members who served our country. 

Glad all turned out well.  Family day for us tomorrow hopefully everyone will clear out in time for me to play just a little bit. 

Didn't go to the barn but checked and the horse is doing better today, no extra vet trips last time I checked this afternoon. 

Am reading about lumens over in Commons,  thought I'd share a link to a post that really explains why switching over to Candela may work better. I know I had 5 MILLION lumens to light that lantern, ridiculous! 

I don't normally point out Commons threads because I know you surf in there, but this is a good thread- explains Light Portals. Richard's post (a couple down from the first one) will do that. Personally for lighting interiors, ceilings as emissives and point lights with high cutouts (so they dont show) work nicely for my doodles.

Ya I do try and read everything I can.  The part about candela was very helpful and I use that when I remember it lol.  This is one of my favorite things though from the Light Portals OP Post

"i just want to create art and make pretty girls. Help!"  I know just how they feel lol

Well, this is what the Geneva Hair does when I put it on Haley.  So I reloaded Haley, reloaded the hair, tested again, same thing. I tried Haley two ways, one with loading G3F then the shape, the other way loading as Actor, fully loaded already. Both had same results. Someone else try her with Geneva Hair?

genevaHairMessup.jpg
    402 x 500 - 850K
    genevaHairMessup2.jpg
    500 x 273 - 781K

"giggle'  sorry, she looks like someone tied a bow on her... Sorry I don't have the Geneva hair so I can't help.  But would be interested to see what caused the problem.

edited June 2016

It works fine on everyone else that I've used it on. We've showcased it several times here. sad Edit: Tested several other hairs, they do fine. Re-edit- well now another one is acting up. See below.

Post edited by Novica on

Well, Odessa Hair went on fine, but here's Eclectic Hair. And yes, the figure is selected when I put on the hair, and yes, I did it with the G3F with Haley added to the figure, then with it loaded straight into the viewport as Actor from G3F>Characters in Content Library. Screwy.

eclecticHairMess.jpg
    490 x 562 - 785K

Tested both those hairs on three other characters, no problem. I am returning Haley. 

edited June 2016

Found this in search (didn't go to the thread)

From Caravelle:

I don't know why, but the same happened when I tried to apply any G3F hair other than Haley Hair to Haley. It looks as if this character only works with its own hair and its own clothes (which I don't own), and that nothing of this all can be applied to other G3F figures (I don't know about Haley's clothes; maybe they are interchangeable). I think this should be told in the promo informations.

Well, I can't return this FAST ENOUGH.  This product lists Genesis 3 Females and I know for a fact the HAIR portion of that statement is correct. The clothes, the thread mentions the chest. I think I'd have to agree with that too slightly, didn't test it a lot.  The outfit I tried seemed very lumpity but had a sports bra under it, to be fair. The product page says AutoFit. 

And I'm disgusted this hair botching hasn't been addressed- or did I miss it? Wouldn't be the first time.  I'm not talking about that thread with the Haley Hair, I mean the fact that other hairs aren't working. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

Haley just washed her hair and can't do a thing with it. wink

edited June 2016

That Eclectic one reminds me of the Progressive Insurance commercial where Flo has the Russian do her hair. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

It's such a strange thing - I don't think any other character i've ever seen, WON'T let other clothes and hair fit her. I mean, heck, you can put any older hair on G3F and it'll work fine. What on earth is wrong with Hayley that she won't take hairs or other clothes?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    jakiblue said:

It's such a strange thing - I don't think any other character i've ever seen, WON'T let other clothes and hair fit her. I mean, heck, you can put any older hair on G3F and it'll work fine. What on earth is wrong with Hayley that she won't take hairs or other clothes?

Seems to be something that 3duniverse is doing to morph his/her girls - Rayn and Skyler have similar problems ...

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Yeah I've been reading about it. But what? LOL. It's just bizarre.  

Kerya said:
    jakiblue said:

Seems to be something that 3duniverse is doing to morph his/her girls - Rayn and Skyler have similar problems ...

Kerya said:

That's the one I referenced that I found in search and quoted. Thanks for the link, all I was finding was snippets. IMO Haley's not that great to justify keeping a problem child. 

Well, Florida has Tropical Storm Colin. Six days into the hurricane season and we're already on the C name. The first one was in JANUARY, the earliest on record, ever. So it's begun! You folks on the East Coast get Colin after us for a bit, before it zips out to sea. 

Going to show you folks Annelies. 

Novica said:
    Kerya said:

That's the one I referenced that I found in search and quoted. Thanks for the link, all I was finding was snippets. IMO Haley's not that great to justify keeping a problem child. 

Well, Florida has Tropical Storm Colin. Six days into the hurricane season and we're already on the C name. The first one was in JANUARY, the earliest on record, ever. So it's begun! You folks on the East Coast get Colin after us for a bit, before it zips out to sea. 

Going to show you folks Annelies. 

We are heading for Clearwater on Wednesday....

Looks like there are some updates coming for Haley and some zip files in the thread if you don't want to wait on the updates....

8000 without power and climbing. Going to be high tide when it hits. It's sunny and hot here in Pensacola. 

Novica said:

8000 without power and climbing. Going to be high tide when it hits. It's sunny and hot here in Pensacola. 

Great... Hope it blows threw quickly and that no one is injured.  And not too much damage is done.

Oh wow, I've got some fun people following my author Instagram account. One doesn't follow many people (12,000 followers, they follow 4,000) and they started following ME first!  How about the Creative Director of Apple?! I squealed like a pig!

Looks like there are some updates coming for Haley and some zip files in the thread if you don't want to wait on the updates....

I think those updates are to fix the bangs of the Haley hair, not to make her compatible with other hair products. So too limited.

This discussion has been closed.