Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811

Only DAZ knows

and the secret ninja beta testers if they exist 

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Secret ninja beta testers? More lilely they are playing hide and seek with the Carrara dev team

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

learned win7 supports 3 monitors!

Feature request, please make the panes floatable!

would like to put library/browser pane on left monitor,  and the right pane on right monitor.

would luv to display the storyboard pane on other monitor, same time as assembly room open in center

cheers

thanks!

• Lol, how about this little feature request:

When we gonna have Director's Camera parameters editable by the user (please) ?

Sometimes Distance to near plane for this particular camera get messed up and there is no solution for it sad

It's been like 10 years I'm waiting for it cheeky

edited April 2016

Lol, how about this little feature request:

When we gonna have Director's Camera parameters editable by the user (please) ?

Sometimes Distance to near plane for this particular camera get messed up and there is no solution for it sad

It's been like 10 years I'm waiting for it cheeky

I created Carrara Needs and Wants  just for things like that... suggestestions and things that Carrara needs or can be improved on. I can add that for you but you might explain it better.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    MistyMist said:

learned win7 supports 3 monitors!

Feature request, please make the panes floatable!

would like to put library/browser pane on left monitor,  and the right pane on right monitor.

would luv to display the storyboard pane on other monitor, same time as assembly room open in center

cheers

thanks!

Sounds good but I'd want "floatable panes" to be an option that can be turned on/off at the users discretion.

What is wrong or have I possible done that causes the cursor to become dislodged from a group or an object? This has happened before but not for quite some time. I've even tried to reload the saved file also to restart Carrara. I've also checked that "Lock Hot Point" is on and that everthing is the same as elsewhere in groups that do work properly.

edited April 2016

Caps lock?

also maybe one item way off from rest

can manually move with caps lock on to where you want

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I'll have to remember to check for the caps lock being on/off... don't think that was the problem. I did notice that the axis was far away from the group/obj(s) so "sent axis to obj" also tried "obj to axis" which got it where it should be. It's happened even when the axis is located from the get go in the center of an obj. I was able to open the group and move the objects in the group manually with no problem. It's just a hassle to not be able to move an entire group, of 2, at once.

i wish i could shape the edges of ocean primitive.  
    mebbe similar to like how to shape a motion path with like bezier control thingies.

and like a spherical ocean primitive and an inifinite ocean plane.

not even sure i care about g3 in carrara anymore,

but an update!  for  genesis  uvswapping  and  seamless  geografts without doing workarounds would be the awesome.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

i have saved so much money not having g3 support in Carrara, thank you Daz!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    head wax said:

i have saved so much money not having g3 support in Carrara, thank you Daz!

Yes, it makes it very easy to make decisions on what to buy!

can they make a patch for  uvswapping  and  seamless  geografts?

we no haz to wait for C9 for that, oui?

edited May 2016

Just an update... the axis became unattached from the object again... cap locks were not on so turned them on&off with no change... axis was centered on object... this time it happened only on a single object and not a group. Luckily I save often to incremental files

Shutting down Carrara then re-starting fixed the problem.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited May 2016
    MistyMist said:

mebbe similar to like how to shape a motion path with like bezier control thingies.

MistyMist, I don't have a lot of experience using the ocean primitive, but I have seen other users put a black and white mask in the alpha channel to create a custom shape. I know that's not exactly what you are requesting, but that might work for your needs. I guess you could even use an animated mask...hmmm... As for a spherical ocean, I tried some Modifiers, like Spherical Morph, but the results looked pretty awful. Formulas didn't seem to work either (way beyond my comprehension so I'm sure I did something wrong...), but other Modifiers had intertesting results smiley

ocean_circle_web.jpg
    717 x 854 - 65K
    ocean_carrara_web.jpg
    714 x 817 - 65K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    MistyMist said:

I just gave this a try by changing it to a vertex object... it can then be shaped, retaining it's texture... problem is it can't be changed back to the Ocean primitive.

wgdjohn said:

I just gave this a try by changing it to a vertex object... it can then be shaped, retaining it's texture... problem is it can't be changed back to the Ocean primitive.

Clever idea wgdjohn. Another idea struck me randomly today. I used the circular mask in the alpha chanel and then used a radial gradient texture map in the displacement chanel, then duplicated the ocean primitive, rotated the duplicate 180 degrees and tried to align them to make a "sphere". The results were awful...with prohibitive render times no less. I would ditch the ocean primitive and experiment with a sphere with the ocean shader, or any water shader variation to your liking,  and add Water:waves for displacement.

Interesting... never thought about trying a sphere. In Carrara Challenge 24 I what I'd used was a small small plain sunk into a crater I'd from the terrain, my first in Carrara, using a modified water shader. Tell me is "Water:waves" a shader I don't remember seeing it?

wgdjohn said:

Interesting... never thought about trying a sphere. In Carrara Challenge 24 I what I'd used was a small small plain sunk into a crater I'd from the terrain, my first in Carrara, using a modified water shader. Tell me is "Water:waves" a shader I don't remember seeing it?

In the drop down menu for the shader chanels you can find it under Natural Functions > Water:waves. The sphere was really a response to MistyMist asking for a spherical ocean primitive. You're right, I think if you are creating a body of water a flat plane is the way to go. Sorry for the confusion. 

waves.jpg
    398 x 509 - 33K

an animated surf would be kewl too.  edge curl on beach terrain

DesertDude, no poblem thanks for pointing it out to me as well.

Misty, Do you happen to have "Terrain Tools" from Digital Carvers Guild? It may work similar to what you want and more. I can't remember if I bought it last year or plan to this year.

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324

Has Daz stated whether they intend to fix the FBX import/export issue? Carrara hasn't become like Bryce, has it? Dead in the water?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    MacSavers said:

Has Daz stated whether they intend to fix the FBX import/export issue? Carrara hasn't become like Bryce, has it? Dead in the water?

for FBX use DS .

nothing on fix for C.

I gather this is on a Mac, I heard they have an empty file, keep bugging customer support is all I can suggest, if you have an installer for earlier version of Carrara you may be lucky and that one can be saved and copied over, I did this for DAZ studio on windows where they broke it for iClone, and yes submitted a ticket.

It has been stated repeatedly the forum posters are a minority of users so submitting tickets is the only way to get their attention, they do not read the forums and it is a waste of time posting here, this is just an unruly gathering of users having a beer and chat among themselves out the back, fun and many great ideas shared but nothing thats going to be implimented in the big house.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

If this is on a Mac, submit a ticket and get them to send you the file. Then fbx works fine. :)

• grankingrankin Posts: 18

I hope this is the correct forum. I recently rebuilt my PC and in reloading Carrara 8.5 got things a bit messed up. I've uninstalled everything and ready to install using DIM. PC is not online so I had to manually download the files and after transferring the files to the offline PC, point DIM to the folder. Everything shows up except the Carrara 8.5 Pro application which is in the same folder. I thought I could use DIM to install the application, then go back and install the content.

Any suggestions?

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Yes, you can use DIM to install the program, Have you tried redownloading the program Ensure that you get the 64 Bit Pro first and try to install that through DIM.

Ensure that you are placing the DIM Package in the folder that DIM is looking in.

Just to make sure you know how to configure DIM downloads, this is pulled from the DIM Manual just to make sure you know where to set up DIM for the download files..

We will now move to the Downloads Page to begin telling IM where we want things to go…

Step 3

Downloads Page

The Downloads and Installation pages are where most of your customization will take place. In Downloads, you tell the application where to save the files you download from your store account.

Download To Where - Click the “ ” browse button and choose the location you want the application to save any content installers it downloads from your account. This can be on your local drive, or an external location. For help on downloading files from your account, please see Downloading With Install Manager (WIP)

Using the application Show filter - Sometimes finding what you want in your account can be a bit daunting. Especially if you have a large catalog of purchases. In this section, you can filter the products by the application(s) you choose. Different combinations will give different results. If you are expecting a file you do not see, try adding another filter to your selection. Older files are backwards compatible, with some exceptions. This means if you have DAZ Studio 4.5 selected you will see more content than if you select DAZ Studio 3. DS 3 will not read .DSF (DS 4) or .DUF (DS 4.5) files so any of this type content would be filtered out. DS 4.5 will read all files extension, so you would see a great deal more products listed.

Once you have your location added, switch over to the Installation Page…

Step 4

Installation Page Install To - If you use one program and have a single location set for content installation, you will see “Recommended Folder”. If you use multiple programs such as DAZ Studio, Poser and Carrara on the same machine, you may have multiple content locations mapped. If you add your various folder paths, you will be able to choose where you want your content to be installed at any given time. For more on this please see Installing With Install Manager (WIP).

• To change the Recommended Folder location, click the “” browse button next to the path in the list. Browse to the new location.

• To add another location, click the “ + ” button in the lower left corner and browse to the folder location you want to add. Once it is added, you can now select it from the drop down list above.

Any added locations will now be available in the Install To: drop-down selection above.

Hope this helps.

edited June 2016

DAZ figures *missing* from Smart Content. Found a few *only* in Content. V4.2, M4, Genesis, V5, M5, V6, M6 and likely others do not show up in Smart Content. In Content I've not found V5 or V5. I've uninstalled Carrara and all it's content then re-installed it which had no change. At this point I wonder if I need to also delete it too. All were added via DIM and used to appear in "Smart Content. I've also tried Update Folder with no change. I've checked in DIM and all report to be installed... verified this by checking in DAZ Studio 4.9 Public Release in which I only work offline and never use Connect.

Also missing is a lot of content that are not figures. I have submitted a ticket on the problem but have not heard back yet. Any suggestions? TIA

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    wgdjohn said:

DAZ figures *missing* from Smart Content. Found a few *only* in Content. V4.2, M4, Genesis, V5, M5, V6, M6 and likely others do not show up in Smart Content. In Content I've not found V5 or V5. I've uninstalled Carrara and all it's content then re-installed it which had no change. At this point I wonder if I need to also delete it too. All were added via DIM and used to appear in "Smart Content. I've also tried Update Folder with no change. I've checked in DIM and all report to be installed... verified this by checking in DAZ Studio 4.9 Public Release in which I only work offline and never use Connect.

Also missing is a lot of content that are not figures. I have submitted a ticket on the problem but have not heard back yet. Any suggestions? TIA

Have you treid to use Studio to reset the database or to re-import the metadata again.