- - Little thief !! That kid pick pocketed my Complaint Thread! - -

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

KK - I'm still using an i7 920 here, simple scenes render quickly, more complex scenes certainly take time (with no upper limit beyond my patience, and I haven't had time to do many anyway recently). I've had the machine for two-and-a-half years, so in theory I could allow myself to think about an upgrade early next year; however, barring blue-smoke ecapes I think there's a fair chance I won't be in any great hurry to do so as it's basically an adequate machine for me. I do have 12GB of RAM, though.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2012

Yeah, I totally understand the render times, having studied 3ds max in the past. As well as my experience with daz and 3ds max. I just rather disappointed that I discovered my computer cant handle what seems to be nothing for others to do.

I just want it to all work lol

Is RAM the 'guts' of running DAZ???... Cos 6GB seems to be really weak

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

My computer plans is to set up my tv as a second monitor so I can have two monitors again. I just need to get a cable for that. I also want to get a second hard drive, after I do research to find out if external or internal is better. I also want to see if I can get more ram so I can run more programs more efficiently at the same time.

I want to first get my tv to work as a second monitor. Then hook up the cable to my computer as I got a tv tuner for some reason. better get some use out of it. I lost the little doodads that allow the remote to work with the computer. I think i still have the remote though. Not sure if it can work without the doodads. anyway I can use the mouse to control the desktop.

I also want to try to get another wacom tablet, but that will not be until next year at the earliest. I am also thinking of getting a certain mouse that is supposed to make playing sims 3 easier. If I get both i would have three mice for one computer. also I would like to see if any 3d mice would work with DS4.5 which would bring the mouse total up to four. wacom for 2d art, 3d mouse for 3d art, Sims mouse just for sims 3. Regular mouse for everything else. Or would that be too crazy.

edited December 1969

Seccond question, Is the 'i7' better lower than i7 860 or higher (I know nothing of hardware)

edited December 1969

I saw an article on yahoo that was saying that getting used games is cheaper than getting used games. but then I do not have a game console. I use my computer for most my gaming. Well I sometimes play games on my iPhone and kindle fire, but there are no used games for those type of things.

With sims being an open ended game as in there is no ending. Also the way sims is, every game is different. even if I 'complete" a game (have a sim die from old age that I started as a young adult) that sim could have had kids and those kids can be played until they die of old age. There is no end in the game sims. (unless Sims 4 comes out and you start playing with that instead.)

I need to play spore again. I also want to play Left 4 dead, but I am not sure if that game would be something for me to play in a group home. There is a lot of shooting zombies for some reason. Also playing with the game on mute is not a good idea because there is a zombie called a witch I think, and only hint she is near is some sound affects. Not notice that and your character could get killed. I also forgot how to play the game. Probably the same as any first person shooters, but I thought my character would not last long if I did not remember what to do during a zombie attack. (for some reason there are lots of zombie attacks in Left 4 dead)

edited December 1969

LOL, well in a way... should we be attacked by zombies I'd want to flee you considering your tenency to forget what to do in those attacks... However, I'd likely die just as quickly as you, which makes me want to fight alongside you.... IF TWO HALF DEAD RISKS WORK TOGETHER, WE MIGHT JUST HAVE A 100% CHANCE OF SURVIVAL... Or, we'll just die really quick in arms lol!!

edited December 1969

Just checked to see if Left 4 Dead 2 was on sale at Amazon. It is normally a bit under twenty five dollars, but not currently on sale. Twenty five dollars is expensive in case I cannot play that game because i cannot remember the keys to use to play or the group home lady in charge does not like the violence in the game. there is some violence in killing zombies, I think. Is there violence in Plants verses zombies?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

The i7 8xx processors were slightly lower-specced than the i7 9xx series. Both are now superseded, as far as I am aware. The 8xx and 9xx lines used different sockets, and at least one of the differences was memory bandwidth (the 8xx line used dual channel, the 9xx triple channel).

edited December 1969

Oh I see... So not just in ram, your computer is actually much more preferred for 3d than mine lol

edited December 1969

Mine is looking at like 4yrs old now I guess... Top of the line at the time (BUT NOT A CUSTOM)

edited December 1969

Jazlyn's clothing set comes with a crossbow. I could use one of those. (for my renders) It is a 3d object stored in a computer so that does not count as a weapon. Not a real weapon. my Daz characters can have weapons but I am not allowed to.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

Spyro said:
    Mine is looking at like 4yrs old now I guess... Top of the line at the time (BUT NOT A CUSTOM)

The one I am just now replacing is over 6 years old, but was a custom build, as the new one will be. AMD though

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I want the Stephanie 5 pro bundle also. Not for the Genitalia as I think it is the same one that came with V5 pro bundle. Maybe I can use Lycan hunter for an outfit for Lycans or Vampires or something. Not sure if it is a good outfit for a hunter, but then there are some people who think that a bikini would be a great outfit to go to war in.

Why was Leia in a metal bikini? I think it was because she was turned into a slave or something.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Spyro said:

The one I am just now replacing is over 6 years old, but was a custom build, as the new one will be. AMD though

Yeah Skiriki mentioned AMD was good... Seems that in my area of Aus, to get that must be from custom builds. I just not very knowledgable in that area... I'm doing research as we speak. (Though I must go to bed really soon lol)

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Morning. Big bright blue sky Monday, start of a busy week for me at least it looks like its going to be warm :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

Spyro said:
    chohole said:
    Spyro said:

Yeah Skiriki mentioned AMD was good... Seems that in my area of Aus, to get that must be from custom builds. I just not very knowledgable in that area... I'm doing research as we speak. (Though I must go to bed really soon lol)

SInce I moved to PCs from using computers that still used basic or DOS I have only had one bought off the shelf, all the rest have been custom builds. I am lucky to have had a couple of teccys in the family, and even now, although my son has moved away he can still advise me, and I have found a great company for custom builds. THey built this one, which has been going strong for the last 6 years, and are building the new one.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

You both claim to be from Australia. one needs to be going to bed and the other just got up. Why is that the case?

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Morning. Big bright blue sky Monday, start of a busy week for me at least it looks like its going to be warm :)

Where are you at? It's morning here, I'm rather surprised you didn't say afternoon or night lol

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    ps1borg said:

Where are you at? It's morning here, I'm rather surprised you didn't say afternoon or night lol

I think you are both in Australia. PS1borg keeps claiming he is in Australia.

My roommate is in the bathroom with the shower on, but it sounds like she is on the phone instead of taking a shower.

edited December 1969

You both claim to be from Australia. one needs to be going to bed and the other just got up. Why is that the case?

0800 and I have to go to work. Prolly wouldn't have stayed in bed anyhow, is a nice spring day :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited September 2012

Spyro said:
    While some here may know the answer to this...

I just want to ask... Is this computer a good one for 3d???

...OK here goes

--Memory

Well the basic RAM is good but RAM is relatively cheap these days. Of course to go to 16 you would need to swap out the current memory sticks (no doubt it comes with 4 x 2GB) as the MB most likely has 4 RAM slots. Mine has 6 and my MB will support up to 24G (though it would require upgrading to Win7Pro).

--CPU

The CPU is definitely a plus as this partially what affects render speed. Cache is the same as my 266gHz 920.

--HDD

Sounds like it has either two 1 TB drives, or one 2TB drive. 5400rpm is a bit slow. My old notebook even has a 7200 RPM HDD. This is important if you want to use a swap file to gain more overhead. A while back I have heard of large capacity HDDs being more prone to failure. That may have changed with time however. I'd still go for a dual HDD system, especially if you intend to run other software like word processors, spreadsheets, games etc. My build uses a 250GB for the Boot drive and a 1TB for the runtimes.

--Graphics

OK here is one point of contention.

While GPU choice is pretty much up to individual preference, I heard that nVida tends to work better with 3Delight than ATI. As rendering in Studio (and Poser) is still CPU based one doesn't need a totally top of the line shredding GPU (unless you also plan on using the system for gaming).

The 4350 is basically old tech (2008). as it still uses GDDR2 (maybe GDDR3 depending on the model). It also doesn't include a fan which could make it prone to overheating. According to it's specs it only supports up to DirectX 10.1 and OGL 2.1 though I am sure there are driver upgrades.

On the other hand, the nVidia GTX 460 I've installed in my build (while still being slightly older tech as well - 2010) has 1GB of DDR5 which provides faster graphics clock and memory speeds, fifteen times the memory bandwidth, and eight time the Texture and pixel fill rate of the Radeon 4350 as well as support for DirectX11 and OGL3.1 (all which translate to improved OGL/Viewport response which is important when setting up large or very "busy" scenes). The one downside it does draw more power than the 4350.

-----

The one spec missing is the PSU. This is critical, for often prebuilds come with barely adequate PSU's which can mean trouble down the road as the unit will be forced to work near it's peak output a good part of its life. Also this will hamper you when upgrading/adding components like RAM or the GPU. One has to look at the recommended "system" power requirement (that's everything from the CPU to Memory, not just the maximum load the GPU places on the system. Granted the 4350 benches out at 25W while the 460 tops at 160W However the recommended system power requirement is only 150W higher (450 vs 300) than that of the 4350. When I built my system I planned for further expansions so I am running with a 750W PSU.

-----

Another thing to consider is the case provided. The more "breathing room" the components have and the more fans the better. Overheating not only translates to shorter system life, but also lag and possible crashes as well (something that I've had to deal with working on a notebook all these years) . One thing to consider in a graphics machine is how many fans does the case have. Many "off the shelf" systems use an enclosure that has maybe a couple small fans which are woefully inadequate for dissipating heat while rendering. As the 4350 uses only a heat sink rather than having it's own fan this could become an issue, especially if the interior of the case is somewhat cramped.

Again for my build I went a bit overboard with an Antec p193. The case, while being advertised as a "mid tower", is huge which allows for easy access to components, excellent cable management, and lots of interior "breathing room". Furthermore, it comes with five fans including a large 200mm side panel fan next to the GPU. It also includes with the provision for installation of two additional ones.

The total cost (over the time it took me to acquire all the components) was about 1,200USD. Since then RAM prices have dropped considerably (I can now get 24G for just a little more the the 12G kit cost me), and GPU development has moved on (the GTX460 is now a "legacy" unit superseded by the 660 series).

However it is still a huge leap from what I have been working with for the past five years.

...apologies for the length and hope this helps a bit.

(ooh all the typos - and I've had plenty of caffeine today)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Spyro said:
    chohole said:
    Spyro said:

SInce I moved to PCs from using computers that still used basic or DOS I have only had one bought off the shelf, all the rest have been custom builds. I am lucky to have had a couple of teccys in the family, and even now, although my son has moved away he can still advise me, and I have found a great company for custom builds. THey built this one, which has been going strong for the last 6 years, and are building the new one.

You are VERY fortunate cho! My family are electricians, nurses, fire brigade, taxation, and me plain old security lol (I feel out of place)

I got heaps of tips on what to get and what not to get... Just trying to find the right store/IT people to get it through, not to mention knowing what I want and the quotes.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    ps1borg said:

Melbourne Eastern Standard Time

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    ps1borg said:

I think you are both in Australia. PS1borg keeps claiming he is in Australia.

My roommate is in the bathroom with the shower on, but it sounds like she is on the phone instead of taking a shower.

HAHAHAHAHA! No lies from either of us! Ps1borg is actually in my time zone... NSW, VIC... Cant remember if we the same as QLD or if we different by one hour at this moment....

I work night shift... So I sleep all day HAHA!

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Spyro said:
    ps1borg said:

Melbourne Eastern Standard Time

I am on the border (Vic-NSW) Technically I'm NSW.

edited December 1969

The bathroom is connected to the bedroom. I was able to hear my roommate talk while the shower was running. It was talking as if she was talking to someone. I went to the lady in charge of the home and told her. now roommate is out of the bathroom so now i can relax.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Spyro said:

...OK here goes

Well...
    -REMOVED LONG QUOTE-

Thank you so much! It all helps!!!

That was a high range priced computer at a major franchise is Australia... It all tells me like everyone has said... That CUSTOM is the way to go!! :cheese:

Just need to lean my stuff before getting one made... I dont want to screw up!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

home again. i didn't make it as far as wendy's, but far enough for pizzette and chocolate martini. it was so pretty had to take a pic of it.

the transformers movie was exciting. killbox alpha one. bro's before ho's - snappy one liner. :)

super sleepy now

edited December 1969

I can get to Wendy's by car. I am the only one in the group home with a car. i do not want to get rid of my car unless I have to. I prefer to drive somewhere instead of waiting for someone to give me rides. I still have to tell the lady in charge if I am going somewhere and when I am coming back.

Friday I forgot to tell her that I was going to do a quick stop at Walmart after I picked up my check. I did tell her that I was going to pick up my paycheck from work, just not that I was going to do anything afterwards. She was a little worried when I took too long just for picking up a check that is less than five minutes away.

i need to drink more water. I have plenty bottles of water so I have no excuse for not drinking water.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Spyro said:

...OK here goes

Well...
    -REMOVED LONG QUOTE-

Thank you so much! It all helps!!!

That was a high range priced computer at a major franchise is Australia... It all tells me like everyone has said... That CUSTOM is the way to go!! :cheese:

Just need to lean my stuff before getting one made... I dont want to screw up!
    ...you're welcome.

When it comes to micro electronics I was pretty much all thumbs (and having severe arthritis doesn't help either). Spent a lot of time researching and reading/watching various tutorials. It also helped to have a very tech savvy friend who was good at explaining things in a language I could understand.

One good place to start is Tom's Hardware. They have tonnes of reviews, tests, comparisons, excellent tutorials, and a very helpful forum.

Of course now comes the next really tough part, building a custom runtime structure Again, I have several good tutorials on this so I am well "armed" for the next phase of the operation.

Yeah, this ol' quasi-luddite (still don't have a cell/wireless phone or even a telly for that matter) has proved through all of this, that it really is possible to learn a few new tricks and join the "modern world". I can say the next time I do this, it will be be almost second nature.

This discussion has been closed.