- - Little thief !! That kid pick pocketed my Complaint Thread! - -

Comments

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Back from the store. Feeling better after a helping of ice cream.

Oh and thanks for the golden sunset.

Yay (BTW a stock photo) :)

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

Doesn't matter, had golden sunset. ;)

Also: got munny today, put moolah on my Visa at 8 am, so tomorrow I should have dough for doing shoppin' at DAZ if something comes up during the weekend and I also have cabbage for upcoming PC frenzy, so hopefully I'm all set.

edited December 1969

Sounds great :)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Spyro said:
    GREAT JOB with the sunset Ps1borg, that's amazing!!

I'm seeking some comments/feed back on the lighting of the below render. I'm going for realistic 'Sunrise' lighting, but at the same time I want to really bring out the foreground two main characters. (I'm also thinking I might give the render a soft blur in their background. But I'll play with that once the lighting is satisfactory)

Ps1borg.. I think It was you that mentioned something of subtle short ranged pin lights. Looking at this render, what would you suggest? I'm very keen to learn :)

ATM- there are 1x distant light (The main orange sunlight at 135%), 1x distant light Yellowish at 40%, 1 distant light white (Specular only) and one soft blue distant light at 35%.

Yellow light + blue light = white light, is the same as red+green+blue lights because yellow is red+green. You will need to decide on a dominant primary colour. A sunrise in the sky, as it is framed now, will backlight the subjects leaving a strong rim of sunrise colour around their edges. Shadow will fall toward the viewer. I would use point lights very close to each subject to highlight detail you want people to see. Everything depends upon how much detail, for example you could lower the camera angle a little to make more sky in the frame and then silhouette the subjects against the sky. It depends what you want to do, your strategy right now seems to be to light everything equally, when a sunrise would leave deep shadows in places. I always gamma correct (2.2), although we had a thing for anti-gamma correct in the thread a while ago. If you gamma correct you get more bang for lighting bucks, if you don't all the bang is in whatever dark you want to play with. I always overcrank lights, turn a distant light up to say 166% and aim it toward the camera, see what happens as you adjust its angle. When you see something you like crank the light up to 266% and see what that does. Once you got one light more or less happening you aim a second at whatever place you want to highlight. I always set falloff, where available. Use linear falloff until you get comfortable with it. How much falloff depends upon what you are lighting. Falloff from point lights makes good textures look better. Always crank up a point light to more than 100% (usually 333% for me - I always step in thirds) ) and use the rolloff to prevent stuff blowing out and turning white. GC is helpful there as well. That's a lot to take in for now.

Thankyou very much! That's really helpful :) I'm just saving some reference sunrise pics... I'll be using the pointlights as suggested... It's kind of a guess game with the lighting tests cos I havent loaded the trees in as they bump my render time into several hours! I see what you mean about me neutralizing the lighting... It was unintentional, there's just so many details I want to see lol!

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,386
    edited December 1969

Grawr :3
    Played with one of my photos :D
    I'm a sucker for zoom effects and blur and stuff :3

grawr_sm.jpg
    890 x 1440 - 649K
  • FyredrygyonFyredrygyon Posts: 763
    edited December 1969

Ugh.... no one should have to wake up this early >_<.</p>

Have to be at work before 7 as we have a safety meeting at 7:30 today and I have to get a ride in the van.

So far, no sign of headache. So maybe I slept it off.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    tjohn said:
    You can use your V4 hair on Genesis with the same flexibility as with V4. I use 4.0 but this should work the same in 4.5.

If you use "fit to' for the hair, your morphs will be broken and the hair "vacuum-packed to the head and body. and you won't be able to inj the hair morphs.

4.5 in my experience retains morphs. That was the reason why I jumped to 4.5RC* so fast that my hair was like a flag in brisk breeze.

Thanks, good to know. But does "fit to" still make the hair distort? If so, I guess my solution might still help Gen4 and Gen3 hair look better.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Thanks, good to know. But does "fit to" still make the hair distort? If so, I guess my solution might still help Gen4 and Gen3 hair look better.

I have to say it depends on hair. HOWEVER. You can "fix" some of the problems by diddling with "Actor" parameters that appears to fitted hair plus adding smoothing parameter. I got my elf-ear problem solved that way (I dialed ear morph settings away and bam, no more hair over ears in a sheet, now naturally).

Example:

Elf_Ear_Problem_02.png
    1246 x 444 - 352K
    Elf_Ear_Problem_01.png
    1246 x 542 - 430K
    edited December 1969

Coincidentally, that's my favorite anime elf ear recipe, so you're welcome. And "SilverMoon" is the hair, FYI.

edited December 1969

Hey that's the Skiriki hair! (Points at the pics)

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Hey that's the Skiriki hair! (Points at the pics)

Yes it is! Except wrong color, of course.

edited December 1969

Ugh.... no one should have to wake up this early >_<.</p>

Have to be at work before 7 as we have a safety meeting at 7:30 today and I have to get a ride in the van.

So far, no sign of headache. So maybe I slept it off.

oh noes, the hairy stuff you have to go through to be safe, a sign of the times maybe,surely it wasn't like this in the old days :)

edited September 2012

SAV drop

a30101.jpg
    1425 x 1900 - 197K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

A hero saving prehistoric primitive life from extinction??

edited September 2012

Spyro said:
    A hero saving prehistoric primitive life from extinction??

heh OK didn't think of that, more about contrast range for a particular shader tree , turned up the reflect channel of a Blinn surface and yay specular shinies! - or maybe Zarathustra, who promises to bury a dying man but instead carries his corpse around for a few chapters of Thus Spake Zarathustra, by F. Nietzsche :)

Post edited by ps1borg on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,609
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    AtticAnne said:
    I am afraid I am loosing my hearing. It is hard to hear things at work but is that because my hearing is going away or they play that music in the backroom so darn loud.

I could hear my mum okay on the phone so maybe it was the music is too loud at work and is hard to hear over it. Why is there music being played in the backroom of the store? music is for the customers I thought. There are no customers in the backroom.

Next year the store I work at is going to be remodeled as in rebuilt and redone. The GM said that I will be working at a different store during that period so I do not have to worry.

It is probably the backroom music then, not your ears.

That is what I am thinking also. i do not know why they have that music on so loud.

I thought i lost a library book but it fell off the night stand and was behind it. The book is Dead Until Dark, a mystery novel with a bite. True Blood is based on that series. I wonder I can see the 2012 season of True Blood. I also want to catch up on Dexter. i did not see the 2011 season of Dexter and there probably is a 2012 season of it I have not seen. Maybe I can catch up on that when I get Netflix, but that will not be for a while.

I made another trip to Half-price Books this afternoon and came home with a Eudora Welty and 4 more of the Stephanie Plum series. I love to read.

I think I saw a used book store near where I live. Maybe when I have money I can check it out.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,609
    edited December 1969

Got a roommate today. I barely met her so I do not know much about her. I forgot her name, but then I tend to forget people's names. I hope she does not want to use my computer.

edited December 1969

OMG! BIG COMPLAINT! Daz is running ridiculously slow... And I haven't even loaded the trees and plants! It takes me an average 10-15 mins to change from posing tab to rendering tab!!

Question for anyone that knows: Is there a way to allocate more memory to daz to make it work like a program on a windows 7 computer and not a mind boggling lagging s**t old Windows98? I CANT WORK LIKE THIS GRRRRR lol

edited December 1969

...I use Cacheman for that. ;)

edited September 2012

what's cacheman? Sorry but I not sure what you're talking about. :P

my rendering is at a halt until I can find a solution... I assume it shouldn't be this bad.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Daz store is taking forever to load. i shouldn't even look after what i spent yesterday. ouch :lol:

nuthin for lunch today. hopes the lunch truck has something yummy yet nutritional.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    what's cacheman? Sorry but I not sure what you're talking about. :P

my rendering is at a halt until I can find a solution... I assume it shouldn't be this bad.

This. It is not a hoax -- it has made my computing better since 2003. Bought a forever license this year. You can allocate resources better with it, and let it do cache/memory management instead of Windows' native. They got a trial version if you want to try it.

edited December 1969

Is it effective? I'm looking at it now... Daz seems to be my only issue with slow lagging problems.

edited December 1969

Also, when your on daz, what profile do you usually use? 'Best of all worlds'?

edited December 1969

Effective? Hell yes. Made my life smooth while using Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Spyro said:
    Also, when your on daz, what profile do you usually use? 'Best of all worlds'?

Sadly, custom, since I can tweak the settings as much as I wanna, on account of having paid version. ;) But you can test and tweak what's the best for you.

Go to Memory Management tab while DAZ Studio is running, and see if assigning it better priority gives you better results and let Cacheman do memory management. You will also want to tweak Dynamic Priority values. In "Sticky priority" tab, give "Above Normal" to DAZ Studio.

There are tons and tons of little things you can tweak to make life better. Such as running Taskbar as a separate process. ;)

edited December 1969

Wow, according to cacheman, windows by default runs daz at low priority

edited December 1969

Oh what would I do without you Skiriki! Thanks for the help :cheese: The basic free profile of cacheman definitely improves things, still slow, but faster than it was! I guess this highlights the fact that pretty soon I should upgrade my computer... Just need to learn the ideal specs for 3d software.

edited December 1969

Now there, those aren't all the tricks in my pocket to speed up stuff. ;) I truly recommend to slip some moolah into getting a bought version of it -- it REALLY makes things go smooth. :)

edited December 1969

I may be considering it, assumeing that the bought version is much better! Though, I do think I need to get an upgrade computer at some stage in the future. Sorry my reply was so long, I'm rendering a low-res of the jungle trees. As expected it remains rather tolling on my pc's ram lol I'll have to learn the resaonable specs for a dencent 3d rendering computer.

• bwaomegabwaomega Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

bwaomega said:
    Ivy said:
    why was this thread spilled over?
    Does daz forums have a 100 page maximum and then it automatically creates a new spill over thread?

why is it we have not seen any explanation for why it happened into begin with?
    or is this just all a dream and so when i wake up it will be some different completely new thread?

School is starting to wear on me...me thinks

Daz forums are so confusing sometimes! :)

LOL... OK, I will try to answer.... the "Complaint Thread" has been around longer than me. I don't even know how it got started!! LOL But I can tell you that it is one of the "running threads", meaning that it continues on and on and on...

Because of this, when the thread hits 100 pages, one of the mods ( usually Richard, I think) will start it anew with a link to the previous one. We used to vote on the thread title just before it was due to end and then guess who would get the start page and stuff... don't know how things are evolving since the switch... I've found myself ...kinda trying to get aclimated to the new forum a bit like one does at the beach when the water is really cold...lol.... I'm up to mid-thigh now I think...lol

Complaint Thread history lesson:
    Once upon a time at DAZ there was a man named kmwill, who thought one possible response to the deluge of complaints flooding the Forums was to make a post (entitled The Complaint Thread) in which he complained about all of the complaining in a satirical fashion. A number of other people, including a few from his (now defunct) self-created Fan Club thread, found the post amusing, and started posting to the thread. It then morphed (much like the Fan Club had previously) into the sort of community blog and general discussion thread that it is today. Most of those original posters have since moved on for one reason or another. I think Richard and I are among the most senior posters left, though I don't remember exactly when Vilian wandered over from the Fan Club.

Heyyyy...it's kinda cool to hear of the "Beginning" LOL Awww... now I wish I had known kmwill.... does he know what he started? lol Thanks for sharing!!

...and HOW ARE YOU!!??? Good to see you! :)

He did look back in here a few incarnations before the Forum switchover, remarking that he was surprised the thread was still around. But given what he had started with the kmwill fan club, I don't know why he was surprised. As for how I am, employed (for the moment, it's seasonal/temp work for H & R Block, and they haven't given me an offer for next tax season yet), and doing all right with my meds, so things look pretty good.

This discussion has been closed.