A New Hope

Comments

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I have textures I have never found the clothing for,
    well, I just found the textures in the shop and I do indeed own the clothing they are for!
    so I reset my download for it so I could rerun the installer to find out where the hell in my runtime they are!!

Convoluted, but if it works, it works. I not only have a lot of stray textures for clothes, but hair as well.

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Hex is very nice for slicing and dicing meshes once you get the hang of it. One of the main tips I can offer is, model in low poly as much as possible.. only add detail after the basic shape is solid topo and otherwise. It gets increasingly harder to manipulate meshes as they go up in polygon count.

There are some good tutorials where they show using smoothing to see how a mesh is progressing, backing the smoothing off again to tweek low poly, and cycling that way till the mesh is solid. There are also some good tutorials as Jadrail said on specifically cutting/welding meshes, adding edge loops to control smoothing...

That's fantastic, thanks for that Gedd. I'm looking at some tutorials, but right now it seems my broadband is on a go-slow so I'm going to simply start playing with things until I break them for a while.

I need a glossary of terms I think. Once I've got the lingo and jargon sorted I'll probably find my way around quite quickly. Gonna have a play.

If you find any really good tuts, please let me know.

I need a glossary too, so if you find one, Barry, let me know.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited September 2012

turns out I must have never installed those clothes!
    I bought Merlin's armoury, been playing wth screaming bee morphvox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owmUyMuuC6Q

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

For Barry and Anne, there is a glossary of terms here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/

Look out for the occsional tongue in cheek one, they are funny.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    For Barry and Anne, there is a glossary of terms here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/

Look out for the occsional tongue in cheek one, they are funny.

Brilliant, that's what I was looking for. Thanks yet again.
    edited December 1969

Right, let's see now... A Maya render for BigH. Well obviously this isn't going to contain any of my own models because I simply haven't got any yet, so I'm going to dig through my magazines and see what I've got in the way of objects and such, and see what I can come up with.

Quite a challenge considering I've also got to set up a website, but I feel up to it! Let's see how it goes.

edited December 1969

you haven't figured out how to drop a Daz dolly in there yet?

edited December 1969

you haven't figured out how to drop a Daz dolly in there yet?

Not sure if the rigging or textures will work but I can import a .obj file into it, I was just hoping to find something designed for Maya so that I'm working with something I've never seen before.

There's actually quite a lot of stuff over at Turbosquid. I have some stuff already from there so I'll see what I can create with my limited resources.

edited December 1969

you do not GET stuff designed for Maya
    you DESIGN stuff for Maya!!
    (you would not last 2 minutes at CGtalk!!!! ;-P )
    but if you are not a CGsociety snob, you use premade content, Daz makes nicer content than anyone else!
    drop a posed obj in there and some props
    play with Maya's lights, textures etc, knock us out!

edited December 1969

you do not GET stuff designed for Maya
    you DESIGN stuff for Maya!!
    (you would not last 2 minutes at CGtalk!!!! ;-P )
    but if you are not a CGsociety snob, you use premade content, Daz makes nicer content than anyone else!
    drop a posed obj in there and some props
    play with Maya's lights, textures etc, knock us out!

Ok, I have to address this right away before people maybe associate me with those bigoted show-offs just because I have some fancy software!

I am not, nor will I ever be, a snob about this artwork. Last year I started a thread called "But is it art?" where I asked opinions on whether it's artistic to just drop premade items into a premade environment. This thread was started because I began to feel that it was too easy to make acceptable artwork. The response to that thread was tremendous, people telling me that so long as a little effort was put into the thought process then yes, it's art. That effort could be as little as thinking "Oh that outfit would look great on this character morph". As for me thinking it was all too easy, well that's a simple thing to correct isn't it? If your art becomes too easy, challenge yourself, apply limitations just for the sake of it, learn a new aspect. If you can master lighting and call it easy, you're an artistic god!

The people that think you've got to create all your own stuff in order to be allowed to be considered for the possibility of maybe, potentially being called an artist are people that I challenge. They spend so much time on a piece of work that it becomes a technical masterpiece, a wonder of form, light and expression. Yeah, that's great if you've got 25 hours in your day and can fit all that time into working on 3D art, but for the rest of the human race with jobs and lives it's just a waste of what little time we have left in our mere 24 hour days. I have the utmost respect for the people that create their art from scratch and spend hours on each tiny detail, honestly I do, but I have the same amount of respect for those who, like me, can't spend that much time on it, or simply don't want to.

Fancypants software doesn't make the artist. What's in the heart and head make the artist. The fancypants software is just like having more brushes to dip in your paint.

No, I didn't think Wendy was really saying that I was a snob, or that I should be. But I have noticed before in my work as a web designer that if I say I've got Photoshop and Dreamweaver people go all lar dee dar at me, so I wanted to clear that up in case anyone at all thinks I reckon I'm better than them.

And yeah, I agree 100% with Wendy's appraisal of Daz models. Sometimes I am blown away by the detail in a character, or a prop, and someone has put a lot of effort into making them. By that standard, it's rude NOT to use them!

Love Daz, love art, hate snobs!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think Barry is being a bit Snobbish about not being a Snob. :lol: JK BBS, you go, tell it like it is. I done told another is it Art thread that what I do is ART and nobody can tell me different.

edited December 1969

ok then Barry, get that near naked Vicky with a sword into Maya
    NOW ALREADY! and stop farting about, we want a render!!!!
    not excuses!

edited September 2012

ok then Barry, get that near naked Vicky with a sword into Maya
    NOW ALREADY! and stop farting about, we want a render!!!!
    not excuses!

Sorry for the continued excuses, but I've spent the day cleaning because this place is filthy. I am very happy with the result, but it's just the beginning.

But yeah, tonight, working on that render.

I'm trying desperately to get used to using my graphic tablet pad thingo instead of a mouse. I think it'll be great once I get used to it, but right now it's almost a comedy of errors. But at least it's comedy!

{edit} - Of course, now there's a problem with the car, which I need to sort out. Looks like today might not be a render-day.

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
    edited December 1969

you can blame Jacob for getting me into MorphVox by Screaming bee
    I bought it after clicking on his link
    (have heard it on other videos by my subscriptions)
    now I have my headset working, been having fun
    VIDEO iClone render, Daz content

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OMG, I would SOOO love to see your version of the Thriller dance (with music) and that set of dancers. That Would just ROCK!!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

you can blame Jacob for getting me into MorphVox by Screaming bee
    I bought it after clicking on his link
    (have heard it on other videos by my subscriptions)
    now I have my headset working, been having fun
    VIDEO iClone render, Daz content

say what ?
    I posted about it years ago !
    And have many times .

edited December 1969

so did Unkletom!!
    but lill' ol Light of Heaven stuck a link in his post not saying where it went and clicky me clicked it when in a spendyspendy mood!
    and there had been a lot of talk about the legality of using some text to speech voices!
    ironicly I recently grabbed 4 new ones that ARE redistributable from Microsoft
    Helen, Heather, Hazel someone else with an 'aitch (not on my pooter at moment)

edited December 1969

so did Unkletom!!
    but lill' ol Light of Heaven stuck a link in his post not saying where it went and clicky me clicked it when in a spendyspendy mood!
    and there had been a lot of talk about the legality of using some text to speech voices!
    ironicly I recently grabbed 4 new ones that ARE redistributable from Microsoft
    Helen, Heather, Hazel someone else with an 'aitch (not on my pooter at moment)

ok have you done any thing with it ?

edited December 1969

the video in the link in my post and a few before it.
    had mic issues earlier

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Oh, now I see why my ears were so hot.:P

Since I don't have the clearest voice, I only tried ScriptVOX. But since I'm deaf, I can only adjust the sliders randomly. Like...I wanted to give the narrator a high-pitched slow voice (like a violin)for fun, so I put Pitch all the way up and speed on -6.

Had my friend listen to it. She said words were overlapping.

edited December 1969

I could not do much at all with script vox I couldn't do with Speakonia anyway, hardly noticed any changes to the SAPI voices.
    quite like morphvox though, cannot sing in harmony with it though as it changes the pitch.
    found that a bit disconcerting.
    I can sing in harmony with recordings of my own voice and other people (I pick out harmonies to tv jingles even!) something I learnt to do along with singing reading music notation, I can pick up a previously unseen piece of sheet music and sing it in key, not well, not the greatest voice! but in key!
    I think it because I sight read music mostly playing the piano and organ, cannot memorize stuff but can play stuff I have seen for the first time, and make up chords if just a melody line, I have to do it a lot for church.
    pity my voice is so whiney, and I cannot whistle, that is why I use virtual singer!
    no good being able to hold a tune if it sounds weak, nasal and whiney,

edited December 1969

Ok, well, I did my first Maya render, it's the same shot as my last DS render, but boy oh boy will I need to work on the materials haha!

edited December 1969

Ok, well, I did my first Maya render, it's the same shot as my last DS render, but boy oh boy will I need to work on the materials haha!

did I miss it :)

edited December 1969

I could not do much at all with script vox I couldn't do with Speakonia anyway, hardly noticed any changes to the SAPI voices.
    quite like morphvox though, cannot sing in harmony with it though as it changes the pitch.
    found that a bit disconcerting.
    I can sing in harmony with recordings of my own voice and other people (I pick out harmonies to tv jingles even!) something I learnt to do along with singing reading music notation, I can pick up a previously unseen piece of sheet music and sing it in key, not well, not the greatest voice! but in key!
    I think it because I sight read music mostly playing the piano and organ, cannot memorize stuff but can play stuff I have seen for the first time, and make up chords if just a melody line, I have to do it a lot for church.
    pity my voice is so whiney, and I cannot whistle, that is why I use virtual singer!
    no good being able to hold a tune if it sounds weak, nasal and whiney,

I have a character that likes to sing. But I've been told my singing sounds like a drunk sailor, so I couldn't do it for her. :P

edited December 1969

What is a mmorpg?

edited September 2012

massive multiplayer online role playing game?
    Michael morphed grotesquely?

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Mickey Mouse's Outstanding Recipe Publishing Guide.

edited December 1969

many mindless or portly gamers?

edited September 2012

Memorepeeg.

Post edited by VIArts on
    edited December 1969