A New Hope

Comments

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Anne, the content is in the browser, which you can pull up by going to Windows > browser.

edited December 1969

Also, if you're installing a Carrara file (.ca), you need to install it to Program Files/DAZ 3D/ Carrara8. But your DS content should already be in the browser

edited December 1969

And...to browse a Carrara runtime, you have to manually add the runtime to the browser. Easy as pie. Click this thingo I circled and hit 'Add Runtime', then find Program Files/DASZ 3D/Carrara8/Runtime.

Voila1

snip1.JPG
    1008 x 210 - 57K
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Looks like Anne's got a wealth of info to help her, thanks for that, guys, makes me smile to see my topic-free thread being useful.

Personally when I use Carrara's browser I have to extend the window because I find that the sliders move up and down too quickly for me and I miss half my content. That's probably just one of my little foibles though.

What isn't one of my foibles is my irritation that when I use Mentalray in Maya half my stuff refuses to render! I've been playing with settings (I use the word 'playing' lightly, since it wasn't fun) and it just looks like the stuff I use the paint tool for isn't going to render. Which basically means my forest has no trees, no grass and no flowers... I think we call that a desert where I come from!

Sadly, when I use the Maya Software Renderer it doesn't really do my work justice. Maybe I should put this on hold for a bit and get back to modelling, where I was having more success! I suspect my forest problem will have its own eureka moment at some point anyway, that's the way things usually work. And then I'll think "Why the heck didn't I think of that sooner?"

Anyway, I did play quite a bit with Maya yesterday, and my initial fears of using such a big program have subsided. I'm now at the "What happens when I press this?" stage! That's probably more scary, I keep expecting BOOM!

edited December 1969

Got a nice shiny experiment going, one that most people probably wouldn't bother with, but it's relevant to my work in Maya and Daz Studio, so I'm excited. Will let you know more when I know if the experiment is going to be easy or a pain in the bum.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Looks like Anne's got a wealth of info to help her, thanks for that, guys, makes me smile to see my topic-free thread being useful.

Personally when I use Carrara's browser I have to extend the window because I find that the sliders move up and down too quickly for me and I miss half my content. That's probably just one of my little foibles though.

What isn't one of my foibles is my irritation that when I use Mentalray in Maya half my stuff refuses to render! I've been playing with settings (I use the word 'playing' lightly, since it wasn't fun) and it just looks like the stuff I use the paint tool for isn't going to render. Which basically means my forest has no trees, no grass and no flowers... I think we call that a desert where I come from!

Sadly, when I use the Maya Software Renderer it doesn't really do my work justice. Maybe I should put this on hold for a bit and get back to modelling, where I was having more success! I suspect my forest problem will have its own eureka moment at some point anyway, that's the way things usually work. And then I'll think "Why the heck didn't I think of that sooner?"

Anyway, I did play quite a bit with Maya yesterday, and my initial fears of using such a big program have subsided. I'm now at the "What happens when I press this?" stage! That's probably more scary, I keep expecting BOOM!

this is funny - because the best for me was the grass trees flowers - never got on with the modeling
    I even did a few little animations with it .
    I must say it didn't go BOOM for me .

edited December 1969

bigh said:

this is funny - because the best for me was the grass trees flowers - never got on with the modeling
    I even did a few little animations with it .
    I must say it didn't go BOOM for me .
    It does work fine with the internal render engine, and probably with some hardcore setting changes I could probably get it looking really yummy, but to be honest I wanted to use Mentalray just because!

So now I'm experimenting.

"No boom today, boom tomorrow, there's always a boom tomorrow!" ~ Commander Ivonavah, Babylon 5.

edited December 1969

I wanted to use Mentalray just because!

does it come with it - been many years

edited September 2012

bigh said:
    I wanted to use Mentalray just because!

does it come with it - been many years

It certainly does with Maya 2012 which is the one I've got.

But now I'm cooking a render which is just a furry plane (using a grass preset for the fur) and some 'painted' trees. And the experimental part is... I'm using 3Delight!

{edit} - The render is taking a while because I'm using some pretty high settings, but unless it's rendering using several different passes so far it's not looking very realistic. Will reserve judgment until it's actually finished though.

{edit} - Oh dear, it looked bloody awful!

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    AtticAnne said:
    bigh said:
    AtticAnne said:
    I've been trying out my trial version of Carrara and it's very trying. There are only 3 or 4 days left of the trial period. No matter how hard I try I can't locate the content. Possibly the trial version of C8 didn't come with any and since C8.5Beta evidently uses the C8 content, I can't tell if I want Carrara or not. I've picked up a few freebies, such as shaders, but have no idea where they go. C:/Program Files? F:/Users...../My Library?

Help...

C8 - my backup file is 485M for stuff .
    did you get this file ?
    if you did it will install where it has to go .

Nope, don't have this file. I got my C8 trial version from Cnet. It's no longer there, just the beta 8.5.

if you can run the beta 8.5 - you can use DS 4.5 stuff - it will be in smart content .
    I don't know if you can - if you didn't buy C8 .

C8.5 is working for me with the trial C-8 installed. I just don't have Native Content. Spent a couple of hours playing last night and really enjoyed it.

edited December 1969

Oh, fine, Jacob. I have a lot to do today in R/L and you've just given me more things to play with. I just have to ignore R/L as much as possible so I can play with the browser in Carrara.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Oh, fine, Jacob. I have a lot to do today in R/L and you've just given me more things to play with. I just have to ignore R/L as much as possible so I can play with the browser in Carrara.

C 8.5 beta is good until Nov. 30 I think - let me check

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    AtticAnne said:

C 8.5 beta is good until Nov. 30 I think - let me check

nope Nov. 1

edited December 1969

Looking at the feature list of Carrara 8 I am most impressed, though I have always been impressed with Carrara. And if it can use Genesis in 8.5 I'm even more impressed. The vegetation and environments I've created fairly quickly in Carrara have been pretty damn good, so it's possible to make absolutely JAWDROPPING work if you put a little time into it.

Learned more modelling stuff today, and am very happy. Also cleaned out my wardrobe, so I'm even happier. Tonight, I'm playing with textures and shaders in Maya and hopefully getting at least ONE render engine to love me!

edited December 1969

Change of plan for tonight. It's render night, I've decided, and the theme is a nice card for my Pagan friends for Yuletide.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Hands up Cho is a pagan .... um .... no wait, what was it they used to call me....a b&##%@ Heathen, that's close isn't it.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Hands up Cho is a pagan .... um .... no wait, what was it they used to call me....a b&##%@ Heathen, that's close isn't it.

We all get called that, comes with the territory. All we have to remember is that we are tolerant and patient, and we harm none.

I just want to make something that's more aimed towards Yule than Christmas.

edited December 1969

I celebrate the Winter Solstice

edited December 1969

Just letting you know that working in the garage all day didn't kill me. I did get to my camping gear and found my camp stove, but not the Dutch oven. This is my daughter's first year as an assistant den leader with the Cub Scouts. The pack is having a family campout this weekend. She, ISIL, the Cub, and the baby will be going.

Now I'm off to see if I can solve my Studio problem and play with Carrara.

edited December 1969

With all the talk about C8.5, I'm starting to wonder...DO THEY HAVE A RELEASE DATE YET? Affffnd don't say "DAZ Soon" or I'll throw my Carrara-foiged Splatball at you. :P I want to get my PC membership back up ahead of time.

But I never heard about DS 4.5. Do they even send email notifications anymore?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited September 2012

I hear they are planning a ski resort in Hell first!
    oops, Norse Graphics would prob say there is one in that town already!
    I meant the OTHER hotter place :snake:

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

so long as it does not involve druids doing human sacrifices (which makes that club VERY menacing) :vampire:
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

so long as it does not involve druids doing human sacrifices (which makes that club VERY menacing) :vampire:
    Don't be silly, what do you think we are, barbarians? We haven't sacrificed a human for WEEKS!
    edited December 1969

I am trying to load sabbatical kids into iClone but since it was out of memory at two, I think a third is unlikely.
    maybe if I lose the fur.

edited December 1969

I am trying to load sabbatical kids into iClone but since it was out of memory at two, I think a third is unlikely.
    maybe if I lose the fur.

I don't even know what iClone is. Am I right in thinking it's simply an animation program?

My render finished, but I'm not happy with it, I'm not sure why but there are a lot of jpeg-style artifacts around some of the shadows and lights, and I want to re-render to try to get rid of those, but I think that's on hold 'til tonight, I have other things to do during the day today, some 3D-arty, and some practical houseworky.

Hope everyone is well and happy.

edited December 1969

yes!

edited December 1969

:(

Where's my rice cooker? Oh...I don't have one.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rice, rice everywhere but not a bite to eat. Why the heck are we talking about rice?

Fix the render and Post it Barry. I wanna see.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Don't be silly, what do you think we are, barbarians? We haven't sacrificed a human for WEEKS!

Yeah, boring isn't it. Seems the PTB made these called laws that made human sacrifice an illegal act, they spoil all the fun.

Still I suppose fairs fair, they did stop the powers of the law from burning witches at the stake.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Mind you, now that you mention it, you do remind me of a Terry Pratchett character who featured in many Discworld novels. Can you guess who? Lol. ;)