Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

I was thinking of you and your storms tonight Novica. We were suppose to have 27 mph winds and they ended up being into the 60's. My wife and I noticed right after dinner that our 11 foot tall arborvitae (an ornamental cedar-like tree) was bending over in the gusts to about 45 degrees. We've had a lot of rain so the ground is saturated and you could see the roots heaving the ground. Finally got three ropes tied down to a basketball post, a fence post and three stakes to keep it from toppling. Trying to pull back against the trunk to tighten the ropes made me think of trying to tie down sails in a storm. Expect several more hours of wind, so hoping it holds. Lots of trees down in the area but not like it was a few years ago when a remnant of a hurricane took down so many trees that 900,000 were without power for up to a week (we were without for 4 days).  Ah, spring!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    RGcincy said:

I was thinking of you and your storms tonight Novica. We were suppose to have 27 mph winds and they ended up being into the 60's. 

Oooh, not good. We had intense lightning last night, and I was putting the bird feeders on the back porch and decided to film the lightning (from the safety of the porch, very deep. Not anywhere near the outer edge.) I videotaped a lightning strike coming down less than 1/2 mile away according to the app. Really neat, but needless to say I went indoors. I hope your trees stay upright and all the animals outside are finding safe refuge.  We're definitely in an La Ninja year with less windshear and more hurricanes this season (saw one site that predicted 4-5 major hurricanes and 11 storms, if we went into La Ninja, which they've now confirmed is happening.)  Official forecast released in a couple weeks. 

Hope you don't lose power either! Hang in there.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

We have had some really severe gusts with freezing temps and about 2-3 inches of very heavy wet snow.  Icky driving tonight..Was  my neices 16th birthday party so we got to drive home in it. 

edited April 2016

Tried out a new environment today: Iray SkyDome Super Pak. There are quite a number of water, ground, sky and horizon materials along with preset scenes. The first render uses the Peaceful Waters scene. The sky, hills, water and light is what you get with the pak - all I did was add the Sailboat and hide the sea that came with it. The water (material is labeled foam water) has an odd displacement too it though, as if the tiling or displacement level is off. The second render is the same scene, but with Rippled Water 2A substituted. Overall I like how it turned out - easy to use - and the skies are dramatic. 

Sailboar Iray Worlds.jpg
    1029 x 800 - 538K
    Sailboat Iray Skydome 2.jpg
    1029 x 800 - 472K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited April 2016

I like the skies, but honestly, not the water. (I know you want me to be honest.)  My thought on the first one was algae or sadly, an oil sheen separation like an oil spill that the Gulf Coast had with BP, and the second one looks more like over-large swimming pool dapples. I think I would use Alsace water (or any of Faveral's water, like Lake Village. Reminder- Faveral told me to turn on Progressive for the waters if you are using 3DL. It worked beautifully, looked exactly like the promos!)  It's not your renders, it's the product? I'm not sure what you meant by you hid the sea. What water did you use for the first one?

Anyway loving that sailboat, so glad I got it. It's sleek, sassy, and renders beautifully.

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

I like the skies, but honestly, not the water. (I know you want me to be honest.)  My thought on the first one was algae or sadly, an oil sheen separation like an oil spill that the Gulf Coast had with BP, and the second one looks more like over-large swimming pool dapples. I think I would use Alsace water (or any of Faveral's water, like Lake Village. Reminder- Faveral told me to turn on Progressive for the waters if you are using 3DL. It worked beautifully, looked exactly like the promos!)  It's not your renders, it's the product? I'm not sure what you meant by you hid the sea. What water did you use for the first one?

Anyway loving that sailboat, so glad I got it. It's sleek, sassy, and renders beautifully.

I hid the sea that comes with the sailboat (as it is just a small circle with a cutout for the boat so you can't scale it). The water shown in the two renders are water mats that come from the Iray Skydome Pak. Looks to me like the tiling may be off but I haven't had the chance to check it out. 

Gotcha. Have to agree it looks like something is funky there. 

edited April 2016

Legacie Hair (V4,G2F, G3F)  on Ronya HD for Victoria 7

If you haven't taken a look at the three varieties of Legacie Hair, you'll be pleasantly surprised. You can really change up the hairdo, so be sure and surf through the thumbnails. I didn't check to see if there was a way to shorten the front strands, the slider that "removes" them tends to pull them back, not straight up, from what I can tell. (I'm tired so will double check that tomorrow.) The hair overall has quite a few morphs and I do like it. And wow, covers three generations all in one product!

I am trying to figure out the lighting products I bought, I just clicked on a setting and this was what I got. (Yep, that easy.) This is the iRadiance Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray Expansion 1.   I clicked on Enable Dome and just picked one of the brightness options. I'll have to play around and figure out what I'm doing. 

RonyaLegacieHairiRadianceLiteProbe.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 680K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

I like the lights and figure but the hairline looks odd on that hair. Those individual strands are strange looking and too sparse?

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921

Aibell as a Teen (Using Zev0's Growing Up Morphs) with Bridget Hair

I have found the Iray sky dome super easy to use.  and very easy to switch out mats etc to achieve the look you want.  I haven't had any of the weird tiling you are getting in yours RGcincy. I was just playing with it on Saturday actually.  I will try another render when I get home from work and see if it does the same thing for me.  Will have to remember to do the foam water.  I don't think I have used that one yet..

Also, I got a bunch of the V4 m4 stuff that was listed at 1.19 for .45 today..I purchased mech4d's new shader pack (can't wait to try that one out).

Legacie Hair (V4,G2F, G3F)  

Yes, I think the hair strands could be a little thicker at the hairline. I did move the hair in studio just now to test it (and see if user error) and there is a slight movement that would get a bit more, but it would still be approximately the same. 

Aibell looks like fun- like a little schemer!  

I have found the Iray sky dome super easy to use.  and very easy to switch out mats etc to achieve the look you want.  I haven't had any of the weird tiling you are getting in yours RGcincy. I was just playing with it on Saturday actually.  I will try another render when I get home from work and see if it does the same thing for me.  Will have to remember to do the foam water.  I don't think I have used that one yet..

Also, I got a bunch of the V4 m4 stuff that was listed at 1.19 for .45 today..I purchased mech4d's new shader pack (can't wait to try that one out).

If you visit the promo thread for this in Commons, you will see the promo has exactly that same water (that reminds me of algae and oil)  in the promos! Maybe it's just the lighting.

edited April 2016

If anyone bought the Ronya Hair, OOT has added eight morphs to take the hair backward (due to comments regarding the lack of those morphs, particularly for wind blown.) Very thoughtful vendor! The link is here to get the morphs now, he has added them to the product but that could take awhile.

Post edited by Novica on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    Novica said:

he has added them to the product but that could take awhile.

Fixed that for ya.  =)

edited April 2016

So I did the peaceful water scene and then I did a different scene and switched out the water mats to Foam Water 1.  There are 7 different foam waters though. And please ignore the graininess I let them go to about 85% on base settings but didn't want to wait all night but surprisingly they render very very quickly for me.

Peaceful Water Test.jpg
    745 x 873 - 404K
    Frothy Water 1.jpg
    745 x 873 - 409K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    Renomista said:

Hi: I did pick this product up yesterday. In comparing the two products, I found Reshade leaves more of red tint to the eyebrows and skin. Both products blow out the skin a bit, but I think I prefer Iray Smart Converter, since  I didn't get the red eyebrow issues as much.

Did anyone buy Urban Kitchen? I'm not sure if I'm seeing this right, but are those horizontal slats supposed to be the blinds? They don't go all the way across and there's a vertical slat cutting them off before they get to the other side, it appears the horizontals go into the vertical one. The blinds (if that's what they are) are on the outside of the window.  I want to see a shot from the outside of whatever this is. 

Fisty said:
    Novica said:

Fixed that for ya.  =)

thanks! I edited it. 

Sonja, your water looks the best so far, I can actually tell it is foam. 

Novica said:
    Fisty said:
    Novica said:

Fixed that for ya.  =)

thanks! I edited it. 

Sonja, your water looks the best so far, I can actually tell it is foam. 

I didn't do anything except load and render.  Maybe its the angle?  I will test out the other six next time I have a bit of time.

edited April 2016

MRL Willow wearing Katharina Hair which has fun windy and movement morphs. 

This is still iRadiance Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray Expansion 1, same lighting but different Tone Mapping settings because she is so much fairer. She's wearing Jungle Goddess,   I love the light, more natural brows.

WillowKatharinaHair2Sig.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 670K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Renomista said:

Hi: I did pick this product up yesterday. In comparing the two products, I found Reshade leaves more of red tint to the eyebrows and skin. Both products blow out the skin a bit, but I think I prefer Iray Smart Converter, since  I didn't get the red eyebrow issues as much.

Thanks a lot!

Then my gut feeling that it is the same but lower quality was right...

Here's a Compliment vs complement  link for the quality control people, for when they are (supposedly) proofreading descriptions and helping the vendors with the product release.   In the SAME few lines, you also have a failure in how to spell furniture and pieces.   The vendor may be ESL, it doesn't matter- someone reviewed this and failed. THREE TIMES. 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,130
    edited April 2016
    Novica said:

I've been playing with that water too. I think it's a combination of the lighting and the camera angle that give that algae/slime look because I tried that water setting on a simple plane with the default HDR render setting and it looks like this (first pic).

I tried Peaceful Water with a simple Sun-sky Only render settings (turned off the skydome and sun object visibility) and moved the camera angle a bit and got this (second pic).

ETA: The scale difference is because I used that same tiling but my plane was a lot smaller than the water base in the product.

Capture.JPG
    653 x 430 - 51K
    Capture2.JPG
    912 x 456 - 62K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    Renomista said:
    Novica said:

Another fun one for portrait lighting- yes, an umbrella. 

I picked this up as it went in to MM sale 2 days ago (lost "new" status)

I can post some renders when i get to try it out.

I would love to see this.  Its in my wishlist for now

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    Novica said:

Is anyone using DIM? My gosh, it's crawling like a turtle. It started doing it last night, but we had bad storms, so not sure if it's just my computer/area slowdown, or if it's the Daz site? It's been a couple HOURS and only three products have downloaded. I can't show you any of the new stuff angry 

I use the DIM for everything from the DAZ site, it's usuall only some minutes to download, longest was when I got DS4.8 down there (bit more than half an hour)

Renomista said:
    Novica said:

Another fun one for portrait lighting- yes, an umbrella. 

I picked this up as it went in to MM sale 2 days ago (lost "new" status)

I can post some renders when i get to try it out.

I would love to see this.  Its in my wishlist for now

I'm currently trying out Polish's Luxury Private Jet  (Pics will follow), but I try to produce some renders soon

I had to reinstall my DIM. I tested my download speed and the computer was fine (114mbps) but DIM was crawling- literally. Two products in forty five minutes. After reinstall, it went to two products (same kb-mb) in less than two minutes. Thanks for checking!

BTW Jungle Vines doesn't work properly. None of the items load with any twists whatsoever, they load as straight sticks. This product is a gold mine- each vine breaks down into about 16 segments and you can twist and bend to create your own artwork in vases!  TIP: Click on the vine itself and tug and pull, instead of using the sliders. It's playtime!

OH WOW MELANIEL!!!!!!!

Reminder- if you bought the required item yesterday, be sure and type in TOMORROW to get the extra 10% off today!

This discussion has been closed.