- Urban Sprawl 3 - First Previews - (Commercial)

Comments

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464

That leaves two options for Poser users.  1) Use the .obj with .mtl and get it in that way, save out as a prop.   2) Use DS to load the set, then export a prop (.pz2), load into Poser.  China Town is DS only, I bought it, used option 2 and have the set, with all textures, as a single Poser prop now.   That still doesn't offer everything a complete Poser set will.  But if you just have to have it, then this is better than nothing.

McG.

@ Stefan - Thanks for the info man.  Appreciate ya for the huge body of work you've made easily available to us through the years!

McG.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160

the trouble with importing these obj's into Poser is your really not getting what you see in the promos,your certainly not getting anything close to what the DS users are getting,for example the forest sets coming out soon have a large amount of instanced geometry,probably 80% of the trees in those DS scenes simply won't be exported into the obj(you can't export instances)

your also not getting the best of the materials,..translucency maps,roughness maps,reflection maps,normal maps or any of their settings won't export,any emissive lighting maps or settings won't export.

and then things like the terrain shader certainly won't export,and I'm using that same shader on all the roads in sprawl3 and some of the buildings also.

also the mesh smoothing angles won't export so the model ends up looking very badly made.

I can see the day coming when I just can't provide the obj because it looks nothing at all like the scene I made

• estheresther Posts: 608

As I toon everything anyway for my comic, maybe the above factors will not be so much of an issue in poser.  I can adjust smoothing in poser too of course.

Is instancing used in this next urban sprawl?

Kind regards,

esther

Stefan I hear you about the problem with the .obj's being too primitive to see the full features of the sets, even now.  That leaves Option 2.  Use DS (I keep 4.8 installed for this) to load then export a prop, when that is available.  I think for the most part, the few die hard Poser users will just not get the new stuff.  The new people will be convinced to use DS and never even see Poser.   I just can't see the quality of content staying high for Poser. 

McG.

So McG, if I export the prop using DS is it still somehow connected via the DSON script (which seems to slow my poser down) or will it be an ordinary poser prop in poser?  I've done it before, but not for awhile and never for a really big set like this.

es

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

not planning on going encrypted anytime soon,I'll see how it plays out with DAZ,

no...my plans are much more nefarious,

-Content will only be useable to people who's DAZ Studio serial numbers start in an odd number

-Returns on any items priced over 39-95 will incur a 49-95 'admin' fee

-Content will only be available during New Zealand business hours,

-Any attempt to export content to be used in any application other than DAZ Studio will see the users computers rendered 'busy' for 999 years'(alternatively users may use Bryce to render their scenes.)

-A 1.99$ 99$ daily fee will be added to all user accounts, this will be known as  'Stonemasons Personal Pastry Chef Fund' or SPPCF

-Encrypted content will be superseded by 'MI' content, this content will self destruct should any attempt be made to pirate it.

-Weekly freebie will be replaced with mandatory weekly customer donation,this will be known as 

'Stonemasons Personal Pastry Chef Assistant Fund' or SPPCAF

-The Korean spammers keeping our mods busy will be re-trained as Stonemasons minions,these 'minions' will be put to work creating content ..and coffee.

;)

Weeeellll - the part about Bryce will make Chohole happy.

LOL

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,955
    edited March 2016

Stonemason said:

the trouble with importing these obj's into Poser is your really not getting what you see in the promos,your certainly not getting anything close to what the DS users are getting,for example the forest sets coming out soon have a large amount of instanced geometry,probably 80% of the trees in those DS scenes simply won't be exported into the obj(you can't export instances)

your also not getting the best of the materials,..translucency maps,roughness maps,reflection maps,normal maps or any of their settings won't export,any emissive lighting maps or settings won't export.

and then things like the terrain shader certainly won't export,and I'm using that same shader on all the roads in sprawl3 and some of the buildings also.

also the mesh smoothing angles won't export so the model ends up looking very badly made.

I can see the day coming when I just can't provide the obj because it looks nothing at all like the scene I made

Hopefully there will be 3Delight support since it is a Studio only product now would hate for it to be a Iray only product.. :(

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517

not planning on going encrypted anytime soon,I'll see how it plays out with DAZ,

no...my plans are much more nefarious,

-Content will only be useable to people who's DAZ Studio serial numbers start in an odd number

-Returns on any items priced over 39-95 will incur a 49-95 'admin' fee

-Content will only be available during New Zealand business hours,

-Any attempt to export content to be used in any application other than DAZ Studio will see the users computers rendered 'busy' for 999 years'(alternatively users may use Bryce to render their scenes.)

-A 1.99$ 99$ daily fee will be added to all user accounts, this will be known as  'Stonemasons Personal Pastry Chef Fund' or SPPCF

-Encrypted content will be superseded by 'MI' content, this content will self destruct should any attempt be made to pirate it.

-Weekly freebie will be replaced with mandatory weekly customer donation,this will be known as 

'Stonemasons Personal Pastry Chef Assistant Fund' or SPPCAF

-The Korean spammers keeping our mods busy will be re-trained as Stonemasons minions,these 'minions' will be put to work creating content ..and coffee.

;)

• the interesting thing about this thread is it shows how much time and effort Stonemason puts into a project such as this with previews started in May 2013

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2016

Hopefully there will be 3Delight support since it is a Studio only product now would hate for it to be a Iray only product.. :(

+1

Post edited by StratDragon on
    edited March 2016
    esther said:

So McG, if I export the prop using DS is it still somehow connected via the DSON script (which seems to slow my poser down) or will it be an ordinary poser prop in poser?  I've done it before, but not for awhile and never for a really big set like this.

es

You can use the option to Create Poser Companion Files, and that is when DSON will show you the item in Poser.  Then you can save it out from Poser as either a boned .CR2 or a simpler .PZ2 prop, whichever is appropriate for the item.   Neither of these Poser formats should be tied to Studio. 

Post edited by McGrandpa on

OK, well I might just buy this set and try it then.

es

McGrandpa said:

You can use the option to Create Poser Companion Files, and that is when DSON will show you the item in Poser.  Then you can save it out from Poser as either a boned .CR2 or a simpler .PZ2 prop, whichever is appropriate for the item.   Neither of these Poser formats should be tied to Studio. 

.pp2 (Prop) - pz2 is poses (sorry for nitpicking ...)

• DpiximajDpiximaj Posts: 23

I can only imagine how amazing this set will be! Super cool.Wow! Your stuff is always amazing!

Right you are Kerya.   You know I know better than that boo boo!  :)

McG.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited March 2016

I don't want to see the day when you stop offering OBJs.

I'm running Carrara 7Pro and I miss your Poser versions because that's what I used to use and your sets looked GREAT in Carrara, I'm really surprised you didn't make more for just Carrara because those sets were awesome.

I bought your Streets of London and had to return it because the OBJs didn't load up right (They all loaded in the middle) and I had to put the textures on by hand!

I had a friend who took a WEEK to figure out where everything went and made some nice renders in Carrara for the London set.

I wish you set the OBJs so they at least load up where they are supposed to. If the textures are labelled right, then I can take the time to put them on, because your sets ARE worth it.

Thanks

Edited to fix quotes

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

that sounds like an error on import for carrara,some poser users have been using the wrong import settings and getting the same thing,but when they use the right settings then everything loads where it should.the obj's are saved in position and should not load all centered

Stefan, I do not miss some of the stupid things I have said and done through the years.  I will truly miss being able to use your newest sets.   I cannot be made to like DS any more than I can the change Earths rotation or the Suns spots.  I think it is why we still have several different programs that do the same basic things.  I am really saddened to see you part company with Poser man.   But I do wish you all the best.  You've certainly earned it!

McG.

Yes, if buying you a copy of poser would help Stonemason, I would actually do it.

Love esther

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

BTW, Stonemason's store items are included in MM pricing today, so a chance to snap some up if you're hovering.

edited March 2016

let me know. I'm not joking.

Love esther

Post edited by esther on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

The problem is that maintaining skills and time to test in another app is a cost. And if you aren't enjoying the return on that cost...

well I can only try.

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,389
    edited March 2016

Stephen said he didn't have it installed anymore. So I think he just feels it just isn't worth it anymore. It is also a lot of time to setup shaders. Doing 3delight, iray, AND poser materials? Sounds like a whole bunch of nope.

Post edited by Sorel on
    tsarist said:

I don't want to see the day when you stop offering OBJs.

I'm running Carrara 7Pro and I miss your Poser versions because that's what I used to use and your sets looked GREAT in Carrara, I'm really surprised you didn't make more for just Carrara because those sets were awesome.

I bought your Streets of London and had to return it because the OBJs didn't load up right (They all loaded in the middle) and I had to put the textures on by hand!

I had a friend who took a WEEK to figure out where everything went and made some nice renders in Carrara for the London set.

I wish you set the OBJs so they at least load up where they are supposed to. If the textures are labelled right, then I can take the time to put them on, because your sets ARE worth it.

Thanks

Edited to fix quotes

Uhm - the London set was updated to include mtl too - so you don't have to add the textures by hand.

heh,thanks

it's really the enjoyment factor though,I just don't like using it.on the other hand I love jumping into DS

esther said:

Yes, if buying you a copy of poser would help Stonemason, I would actually do it.

Love esther

• father1776father1776 Posts: 982

looking cool

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

that sounds like an error on import for carrara,some poser users have been using the wrong import settings and getting the same thing,but when they use the right settings then everything loads where it should.the obj's are saved in position and should not load all centered

Oh wow, really?

Does anyone know what settings I should use for Carrara 7Pro for the OBJs ?

If so, I'm going to pick up the Stonemason sets I returned AND start using the ones I kept, but couldn't use!

None of my props load up where they should. Really a BIG problem with Chinatown.

Thanks

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2016

Stefan,

Thanks so much for keeping Poser users in mind! I'm a new user to both programs. They each have their strengths and I'm enjoying exploring them and using the same content in both (when possible). So glad to be able to be able to do that with your sets. Urban Sprawl 3 looks wonderful! Can't wait to snag it when it's in the store! Thanks for the great products. They are a dream to use!

Post edited by Llynara on