MEC4D PBS shaders vol.2 -Released- [Commercial]

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

That was my reaction too .. speechless for a moment  .. the best thing is that it react to the level of the light like in real so always changing to the light condition , in cloudy soft box light it get more diffused 

and the test above was with the max sun light intensity allowed , I need to make the correct normal maps to test it on Genesis tomorrow and see how it works .. 

barbult said:

Wow!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    MEC4D said:

Here some little preview of physically based skin that does not use any texture maps as we usual do .. and all you see is generated by colors only ..no photos 

The layers are constructed the way it works in real world for comparison fragment of a skin photo just from different part of the body

I did not finished yet with the skin but you can also see the little hair on the edges (fuzz ) and of course it is big scale of a rough skin

also now when you have scar build in the model morph or normal it will looks like a scar depends of how deep it get how more it will be  prominent and the same for wrinkles 

of course human skin has different texture on different areas , so all it will be controlled by normal maps that in this case need to be perfect and the best 3D normal maps and not just converted from photos

anyway I am on my way cracking the rest of the codes .. hehe

@Med4D  That looks amazing!  Can't wait to see something like this in the store.  If anyone can crack the codes, I have a feeling you can.  smiley

Well, I was trying to redo the render of my leprechaun with a hat I tracked down, in a G2 Female outfit, I discovered I had.  Unfortunately, it is STILL rendering and I didn't make it in time to enter in the contest.  It was that sparkly hat I think RGcincy used in his entry only I used the Old Car ABA shader, Worn Leather and the Tarpauline Dark Green on it.  It looked pretty good.  I'll add it to my gallery once it is done rendering.  I noticed that I made a mistake in the name of one of my shaders for my entry.  I called it scruffy leather or something when it is actually worn leather so I'm fixing that mistake and taking myself to bed.  Good luck to everyone on their entry!

edited March 2016

@Knittingmommy Thanks and no problem I can recognize the shaders anyway

here little test .. well the skin is on the sphere so get deformed and the light reverse normal on angles but I am sure when it is proper mapped on genesis it should looks just like the real thing

and most important here is that the rendered skin does not use color textures still have the same behavior

finger print.jpg
    1577 x 1040 - 445K
    Post edited by MEC4D on

I will give you one more day to final adjust or change your contest renders .. but tonight I will close it ..and tomorrow will announce the winners !

Good luck everyone !

Gonna bother you with one more test for today ..  

the same skin different light conditions , the only bad thing about it is that as in reality bad light setup will make your character skin looking bad too hahahahaha ( but not less realistic ) but in reality we are not perfect and that what make us unique ...

skin behavior-hdri-light.jpg
    1686 x 1017 - 459K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Your skin looks great!

Uhm ...

Your PBR skin renders are looking great!

When are we allowed to buy that?

• Amazing skin! I am speechless!!!

Thanks Kerya , it is for vol.4 and still work in progress .. skins, proper eyes and morphs with the same technique , alien-creatures skins .. for both G3F and G3M 

but for having success a proper light need to be used too since it is phisically based .. so no compromisses , I tested on over 20 random HDR lights maps good one and bad one and everything still working , need fo test now with photometric lights as well , with PBR everything need ro be in balance , if one thing is out of order the rest fall automatic 

Kerya said:

Your skin looks great!

Uhm ...

P.S forgot to upload the second image of the skin tests 

skin behavior-hdri-light2.jpg
    1686 x 1017 - 436K
  • Oh wow, the skin looks amazing. Can I ask though, when applied will we still use the characters make-up etc? I'm still a novice when it comes the the technical side of Daz, it wasn't till recently I learned what PBR was :) so appologies if this is a daft question. Thanks, can't wait for vol 2 :)

This skin is not for use with other characters skins so no make up from old sets as that is physically based skin  so no painting on as there is nothing to paint on lol simple no color textures .... but I will have to find some solution for that and check it out in the common days 

Oh wow, the skin looks amazing. Can I ask though, when applied will we still use the characters make-up etc? I'm still a novice when it comes the the technical side of Daz, it wasn't till recently I learned what PBR was :) so appologies if this is a daft question. Thanks, can't wait for vol 2 :)

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    MEC4D said:

here little test .. well the skin is on the sphere so get deformed and the light reverse normal on angles but I am sure when it is proper mapped on genesis it should looks just like the real thing

and most important here is that the rendered skin does not use color textures still have the same behavior

LOL.  Yes, I imagine you can recognize the shaders!  You are a very thorough PA!  But then, your products reflect that which is why I have so many of them!  Thanks for the extra time.  You are the best!

These extra skin tests look amazing!  If the shaders are applied directly to the skin and we can't use makeup, are the eyebrows and any other hair already in the with the shader as part of resources?  If that is the case, would we be able to use L.I.E. or geoshells to possibly apply modifications like makeup on top of the skin?  I've only used them with regular skins, but I would think they would work since they go on after the skins and, at least for the geoshell, I don't think they actually affect the skins themselves.  Just a thought and probably a bad one since I'm still learning about both methods.  Vol. 4 sounds just as interesting as the rest of the volumes, maybe even more so after seeing your test photos!

• MEC4D said:

This skin is not for use with other characters skins so no make up from old sets as that is physically based skin  so no painting on as there is nothing to paint on lol simple no color textures .... but I will have to find some solution for that and check it out in the common days 

Oh wow, the skin looks amazing. Can I ask though, when applied will we still use the characters make-up etc? I'm still a novice when it comes the the technical side of Daz, it wasn't till recently I learned what PBR was :) so appologies if this is a daft question. Thanks, can't wait for vol 2 :)

Thanks for getting back to me, I hope I havn't thrown a spanner in the works.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    MEC4D said:

these are amazing! you'll have a steady customer here

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975

Hey Mec, while you're doing skins, could you do settings for stuff like 'this is a nasty burn scar tissue on skin' and 'Freddy Krueger's and Silent Hill nurse's lovechild'?

I think it is time for real eyebrows maybe ? the way everyone else do in 3D .. always a challenge , you can use  geometry Schell that is what it was made for if you use make up with transparency like png it will works fine 

but anyway one thing at a time, let me finish first the base see how it looks like and then move forward and see the possibilities so I can say more about the additional stuff  , what I try to make is nothing that you usually see in DS pipeline but I was thinking why not cracking the codes for once it would surprise even iray users in big software like Max and Maya , you know me I am always ready for unique challenges that's what keep me going as I hate routines .. if I accomplish everything it will be my biggest satisfaction for now it is my new obsession lol

and yes in PBR everything affect everything if is not made by the rules .. the rules are simple and it is tempting to find the quick path but then it would be pointless and no PBR at all but one thing I learned in the past years with PBR that if you keep the right path everything else will fall in place like a puzzle and it is really simple way once you know it, so wish my luck in this challenge as everyone will profit from it and for now I am very much excited about as much as you and of course I will make the 3D eyebrows and maybe als 3D morphable eyelashes to go with.

MEC4D said:

LOL.  Yes, I imagine you can recognize the shaders!  You are a very thorough PA!  But then, your products reflect that which is why I have so many of them!  Thanks for the extra time.  You are the best!

These extra skin tests look amazing!  If the shaders are applied directly to the skin and we can't use makeup, are the eyebrows and any other hair already in the with the shader as part of resources?  If that is the case, would we be able to use L.I.E. or geoshells to possibly apply modifications like makeup on top of the skin?  I've only used them with regular skins, but I would think they would work since they go on after the skins and, at least for the geoshell, I don't think they actually affect the skins themselves.  Just a thought and probably a bad one since I'm still learning about both methods.  Vol. 4 sounds just as interesting as the rest of the volumes, maybe even more so after seeing your test photos!

Not at all .. I was thinking about it already but did not focus on the solutions yet but already seeing the possibilities however  on a different and much easy path and may be better  .A lot of testing a head will keep u all update ..

MEC4D said:

Thanks for getting back to me, I hope I havn't thrown a spanner in the works.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

I'm gonna need a whole lot more popcorn as I wait for all this to hit the streets ... ;)

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265
    isidorn said:
    JeremyD said:

Welp! My first time entering a Daz contest. Here's two that I've done over the weekend. I guess they are related story wise :)

With renders like that there's definitely no reason for you to shy away from contests. Good to see you decided to join this one.yes 

Thank you :)

MEC4D said:

Thanks Kerya , it is for vol.4 and still work in progress .. skins, proper eyes and morphs with the same technique , alien-creatures skins .. for both G3F and G3M 

but for having success a proper light need to be used too since it is phisically based .. so no compromisses , I tested on over 20 random HDR lights maps good one and bad one and everything still working , need fo test now with photometric lights as well , with PBR everything need ro be in balance , if one thing is out of order the rest fall automatic 

Kerya said:

Your skin looks great!

Uhm ...

P.S forgot to upload the second image of the skin tests 

ok ok.. now I'm even more excited and I was already pysched about VOL2&3. Better skins have been on my want list for some time (well, in my brief but growing time spent with Daz) What I like in those skin tests is that they react to light as you would expect them to, and not plastic-y or overly airbrushed.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    MEC4D said:

Here some little preview of physically based skin that does not use any texture maps as we usual do .. and all you see is generated by colors only ..no photos 

The layers are constructed the way it works in real world for comparison fragment of a skin photo just from different part of the body

I did not finished yet with the skin but you can also see the little hair on the edges (fuzz ) and of course it is big scale of a rough skin

also now when you have scar build in the model morph or normal it will looks like a scar depends of how deep it get how more it will be  prominent and the same for wrinkles 

of course human skin has different texture on different areas , so all it will be controlled by normal maps that in this case need to be perfect and the best 3D normal maps and not just converted from photos

Thanks very much. This is very what I was planning to until I found out I can buy them from you or rather, will be able to buy from you. I am using a traditional texture now and even though it's professional and has a high resolution it looks, well, painted for video games at lower resolutions. Your PBR set would solve that...and leave it to the PBR lighting. Basically one would need only add partially transparent texture layers for such things as freckles, farmer's tans, and similar coloration. 

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390

Cath I'm very excited for all of this stuff you will be releasing. 

Thanks for the support ! I wish I win in lotto one day and do everything for you guys as freebies that would be even more fun ! as I enjoy sharing my creations as  it is minder stressful  than products for sale .. still the same job but feels like under pressure ...but I will have for you something to play with again soon and in June I am gonna host big contest with very BIG prices as thank you for all your support ! more about it in June on my Birthday as usually .. can't wait ! surprise surprise !

RGcincy said:
    MEC4D said:

these are amazing! you'll have a steady customer here

Do You know that Mec means in French "Dude "'  LOL  I did not knew that before but someone told me and that was funny since mostly characters I always made in the past was Dudes hahaha but coming back to your question I actually did already this morning, it was freaky disgusting then I tried to save and then crashed blue screen after 8 hours of runing my system plus twins Titans my 32 GB of RAM was gone ..never happen before but after updating to 4.9 it happen too often with the memory lately without explanation , DS freez and Blue Screen after and good bye .. the burning scars was easy cake and looking so real , also tried cuts it was awesome you could see blood under the skin on the cuts , never saw something like that before .. so awesome , then I tried body modification like stuff under the skin ..I could not believe my eyes also learned how to make veins and that all together without one color map made it unreal , you can even make drops of blood on top of the skin one more thing I want to try is tattoo between the skin layers if I make it right then the make up options will be much easy

Skiriki said:

Hey Mec, while you're doing skins, could you do settings for stuff like 'this is a nasty burn scar tissue on skin' and 'Freddy Krueger's and Silent Hill nurse's lovechild'?

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    MEC4D said:

Do You know that Mec means in French "Dude "'  LOL  I did not knew that before but someone told me and that was funny since mostly characters I always made in the past was Dudes hahaha but coming back to your question I actually did already this morning, it was freaky disgusting then I tried to save and then crashed blue screen after 8 hours of runing my system plus twins Titans my 32 GB of RAM was gone ..never happen before but after updating to 4.9 it happen too often with the memory lately without explanation , DS freez and Blue Screen after and good bye .. the burning scars was easy cake and looking so real , also tried cuts it was awesome you could see blood under the skin on the cuts , never saw something like that before .. so awesome , then I tried body modification like stuff under the skin ..I could not believe my eyes also learned how to make veins and that all together without one color map made it unreal , you can even make drops of blood on top of the skin one more thing I want to try is tattoo between the skin layers if I make it right then the make up options will be much easy

Sorry to hear about the crash! But woah, yet another must-get product from you then. :)

• Yeah after seeing all this stuff in the pipeline, you might as well connect my bank account to your store because I'll be buying it all!

• This all sounds amazing, I'm imagining the posibilities. You certainly have my support :)

You see it is not that easy since frekles are bellow the epidermis where melanin is produced and not on top , the top need to be free , but I found already posibilities for the skin tones so proper maps can be made for the melanin effect as we need different skin tones also and everything happening  bellow the base color , if you put on top,  it can work if semi opaque images are overlayed but will looks more like a dirt on top or as fake tan spray . I just talked about the tatoos if this works and should working then yes but it will all happen bellow base color for proper PBR and the base color can''t be changed no matter the skin tone unless we talk about an alien or other creatures  , however I can add one more layer of basic diffuse and make the uber shader separate from everything else so ending in 4 skin layers and use the second base diffuse for semi opaque maps what would save a lot of work and easy to use for  tatoos and other stuff and I know it is possible as I already tried time ago just not yet with this new skin settings .The posibilities are endless 

MEC4D said:

Thanks very much. This is very what I was planning to until I found out I can buy them from you or rather, will be able to buy from you. I am using a traditional texture now and even though it's professional and has a high resolution it looks, well, painted for video games at lower resolutions. Your PBR set would solve that...and leave it to the PBR lighting. Basically one would need only add partially transparent texture layers for such things as freckles, farmer's tans, and similar coloration. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

It'll be very interesting to see what you make. I've been experimenting with my shaders in trying to procedurally generate skin, but keep running into problems. First, there's only so much you can do with procedural vs. a well-made map. Second, a lot of the Iray shader hooks are a bit ... murky and poorly documented. Like, I have no idea how to do procedural displacement or normals, and either would be very handy.

Anyway, can't wait to throw money at you!

Actually I saw yesterday your Olympia render with Octane and said to myself.. no I need to do something in DS with the human skin and make it better with all the great tools we have , this idea I have already in Poser 5, it was no PBR on this time but has the same correct values that never changed since then in the index we just did not had the correct light but the result was closer and big guys on CGI talk attack me for "'selling"' them picture of real skin and not 3D lol it was a big conversation but then one of the teacher jump in and back me up so it ended on my side .  after that I dropped the idea some way due to the all negativity around in all forums and I left after to music productions as I  had enough of 3D on this point, so it was sleeping  until yesterday so thank you for the inspiration Sorel .. you are the trigger of this project and it will be finished this time :)

sorry for grinding to much today but I am so excited about, I did not even sleep yet in the last 24 hours and my brain is rolling with ideas when I do so ahahaha or is that passion or maybe obsession ? wink

Sorel said:

I tried it all since we got Iray , one skin for full body does not works with procedural shader unless you want your legs skin on your face if you know what I mean .. for cartoons and stuff yes but for realistic not really it will be creepy on humans that's for sure . I would be  happy at first if everyone like it ..then after we can talk about business and the only reason becouse If I don't do it eventually someone else will do .

The Nvidia shaders are made for using with shader trees that are much easy in other programs than in DS shader builder and all documentarions are on Nvidia website ( not Uber iray aka Materials room) as this is combination of most of the basic MDL block and  beyond and very simple in function as the main support was for transition old contest to Iray and not really Iray the way it should be but it help with the old content much easier as nobody is much familliar with shader mixer or baker to make own shaders as others do in big apps and DAZ programers connected the blocks together as much as possible for easy usage .. but it can be even better and bigger beyond imagination

It'll be very interesting to see what you make. I've been experimenting with my shaders in trying to procedurally generate skin, but keep running into problems. First, there's only so much you can do with procedural vs. a well-made map. Second, a lot of the Iray shader hooks are a bit ... murky and poorly documented. Like, I have no idea how to do procedural displacement or normals, and either would be very handy.

Anyway, can't wait to throw money at you!

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    MEC4D said:

Actually I saw yesterday your Olympia render with Octane and said to myself.. no I need to do something in DS with the human skin and make it better with all the great tools we have , this idea I have already in Poser 5, it was no PBR on this time but has the same correct values that never changed since then in the index we just did not had the correct light but the result was closer and big guys on CGI talk attack me for "'selling"' them picture of real skin and not 3D lol it was a big conversation but then one of the teacher jump in and back me up so it ended on my side .  after that I dropped the idea some way due to the all negativity around in all forums and I left after to music productions as I  had enough of 3D on this point, so it was sleeping  until yesterday so thank you for the inspiration Sorel .. you are the trigger of this project and it will be finished this time :)

sorry for grinding to much today but I am so excited about, I did not even sleep yet in the last 24 hours and my brain is rolling with ideas when I do so ahahaha or is that passion or maybe obsession ? wink

Sorel said:

Oh my, glad I could be a source of inspiration!  It is you who inspired me to push myself as well with setting up materials as right as possible. I had been buying a shader before for octane, but I always felt it still didn't have that real look feel to it. And then I saw stuff you were doing, and what other people were doing in the iray skin thread, and told myself I need to learn what all these things mean. So I started fiddling with nodes, and then taking things from the live database and adding to it until I got something I was happy with. I'm pretty happy with how I can render skin now, and I even still fiddle with it sometimes to see if there is anything I can improve still but usually just end up keeping it the way it is.  Now if I can just get things like cloth, different vegetation, and other misc materials right lol.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    MEC4D said:

You see it is not that easy since frekles are bellow the epidermis where melanin is produced and not on top , the top need to be free , but I found already posibilities for the skin tones so proper maps can be made for the melanin effect as we need different skin tones also and everything happening  bellow the base color , if you put on top,  it can work if semi opaque images are overlayed but will looks more like a dirt on top or as fake tan spray . I just talked about the tatoos if this works and should working then yes but it will all happen bellow base color for proper PBR and the base color can''t be changed no matter the skin tone unless we talk about an alien or other creatures  , however I can add one more layer of basic diffuse and make the uber shader separate from everything else so ending in 4 skin layers and use the second base diffuse for semi opaque maps what would save a lot of work and easy to use for  tatoos and other stuff and I know it is possible as I already tried time ago just not yet with this new skin settings .The posibilities are endless 

MEC4D said:

Wow, sounds like this product will be much easier to make good renders with than what I'm trying now.