DAZ Studio 4.9.1 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

barbult said:

Please remember that with Daz Connect, all those folders are hidden from us. They do not show up in Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library. The lack of clear naming/icons to differentiate Iray materials from 3Delight materials is a real problem for users who install with Daz Connect.

Those folders are in the Smart Content tab under both files and products. 

I don't understand how to locate FOLDERS in Smart Content. I see categories, but I don't see FOLDERS. How do I see the folder structure created by the PA, so I can see what files are in what folder? PAs often organize things by folders and Daz doesn't always assign categories to match the folders.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Does Bryce sttill integrate with D:S? i/e bridge or whatever it's called..I thought tht was a nice feature in the older versions

I can answer that one  and the answer is yes.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited March 2016
    barbult said:

barbult said:

Please remember that with Daz Connect, all those folders are hidden from us. They do not show up in Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library. The lack of clear naming/icons to differentiate Iray materials from 3Delight materials is a real problem for users who install with Daz Connect.

I don't understand how to locate FOLDERS in Smart Content. I see categories, but I don't see FOLDERS. How do I see the folder structure created by the PA, so I can see what files are in what folder? PAs often organize things by folders and Daz doesn't always assign categories to match the folders.

The "physical" folders (i.e. those that you could navigate in Windows Explorer, or equivalent) are not represented in Smart Content (SC). The "folders" that show in SC (files or products) are a heirarchical representation of the metadata (Categories) that look a bit like a folder structure but don't represent folders on disk. If you want to see a view of the physical folder structure you have to go to Content Library (CL), which is the way it has always been.

However, if you installed the content using Connect there is no view of these physical folders in CL—they aren't "user-facing". They are in "My Connect Library" which is invisible in Studio. Content there is only accessible by the icons in SC and in Products in CL.

Content installed manually or with DIM will have the physical folder structure mapped in CL in the pre-SC style. You can access these via a right-click action in SC: right click an icon in SC and select "Show in Content Library/Mapped Folder". That will jump you to CL where the folders are. If "Mapped Folders" is greyed out it's because there aren't any mapped folders because the product was installed with Connect.

Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on
  • Even if content has no metadata you should be able to find it in the Content Library under the appropriate ... Formats heading, assuming it was installed correctly. You can then categorise it if you like but that isn't mandatory.

Iray, which is 64 bit only, is often faster than 3Delight with similar options (bounce lighting, SSS etc.) though it can vary by scene content. Using a GPU it can be much faster than 3Delight (at least with currently available shaders, and with the odd exception) and is a "Physically based" engine which makes photo-realism easier to attain (if that is the goal). It isn't meant as an across the board replacement for 3Delight, though, and 3Delight is still a viable choice (even, for some things, a more appropriate choice). You can get a 4GB nVidia GPU (for a desktop system) fairly cheaply, though Iray will work (with a speed penalty) on the CPU.

Yes, the Bryce bridge still works as far as I know.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    barbult said:

barbult said:

The "physical" folders (i.e. those that you could navigate in Windows Explorer, or equivalent) are not represented in Smart Content (SC). The "folders" that show in SC (files or products) are a heirarchical representation of the metadata (Categories) that look a bit like a folder structure but don't represent folders on disk. If you want to see a view of the physical folder structure you have to go to Content Library (CL), which is the way it has always been.

However, if you installed the content using Connect there is no view of these physical folders in CL—they aren't "user-facing". They are in "My Connect Library" which is invisible in Studio. Content there is only accessible by the icons in SC and in Products in CL.

Content installed manually or with DIM will have the physical folder structure mapped in CL in the pre-SC style. You can access these via a right-click action in SC: right click an icon in SC and select "Show in Content Library/Mapped Folder". That will jump you to CL where the folders are. If "Mapped Folders" is greyed out it's because there aren't any mapped folders because the product was installed with Connect.

This is why I had to go back to DIM and Content library...I just couldn't wrap my head around the structure in Smart Content..I am hoping that they change the way content is displayed in Smart Content so it really is easier to find as I liked to use the connect feature and install right inside Studio.  The idea of smart content is great but the execution is a pain in the butt to put it mildly

• Kharma said:

This is why I had to go back to DIM and Content library...I just couldn't wrap my head around the structure in Smart Content..I am hoping that they change the way content is displayed in Smart Content so it really is easier to find as I liked to use the connect feature and install right inside Studio.  The idea of smart content is great but the execution is a pain in the butt to put it mildly

Smart Content has been changed quite a lot in 4.9 and I find it a lot easier to use. The best single thing, I think, is the ability to turn Filter by Context on and off, so that, for example, I can see content for G3F when I have G3M selected in the scene. I'm now using the Products view in SC most of the time which is much more useful than it used to be. It's particularly good for newer content that has good metadata and for anything installed by Connect.

For really old content though I still rely on CL as these tend to be in large groups in SC (e.g. Local User, Lost & Found, Unassigned) and these, particularly Local User, can take a long time to scan and display. It's also difficult to know what a lot of it is from the random jumble of icons. This is your stuff with no or poor original metadata and no Product. For me, much of that stuff is old junk that I will never use again and I'd gladly get rid of it all if there was an easy way of doing it.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited March 2016

Is this happening to anyone else with DS4.9.1.30 ?

I am working on a scene and EVERYTIME I want to save my progress, instead of overwriting the file I am working on like it use to do it now gives me the "save as" window.  So EVERYTIME I want to save, I have to hunt down the file amoung the 5000+ other saved scenes I have which is EXTREMELY anoying!!!!!

EDIT: 2

This seems to be more... reinstalling the older version does not change its behavior.  I will try installing 4.6 instead to see if it alters anything

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Is this save as or clicking the little + sign?

Im lost.

I did a complete removal of all Daz software plus ran a reg cleaner and also search my hdd for more Daz files.  i dont know where they are hiding the preferences files but even after doing a clean install of Ds4.6 the behavior persists.  And its only been hapending since I installed DS 4.9.1.30

So short of restonring my HDD image from february, I dont see how this can be fixed

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

If you're using Windows 7, one preferences file should be at C:\users\username\Appdata\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dzinstall.ini

If you're using Mac, I've no idea where it would be.

That said, dzinstall.ini is mostly installation paths, but there may be other stuff in that Roaming/Daz3D directory that's controlling this weird behavior.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Make sure you go into Edit > Preferences and fill in the author info -- DS won't let you do an unprompted overwrite of a file that isn't yours, so if you don't have authorship info it always reverts to Save As

edited March 2016

Those were all deleted when I did my uninstall.  i took the time to search those things out using "Everything"  What ever the settings are they would more then likely be burried in the registry.  I noticed between each uninstall and reinstall the serial numbers were not asked for so that means info was still left behind somewhere.  Only thing I managed to do is screw over my layout and tool bars

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited March 2016

As for me,, it happend when I install beta 4.9,, then I input new Author-info,, for beta..after that, I could re-save all files,which I made in beta,,

but it not work about files  which I saved before. (maybe different Author-info)

then I change beta Author-info as same as ds 4.9 product version,, now it seems work,,,

eg (I make new scene in beata,, then save it in beta,,  next open it in product version,, and try to save it,, it simply overwrite same file,, without  ask me save directory)

I think,, DAZ studio check "author info" of  scene.duf,, ,, then compare it with author info of current daz studio preferecne.

if you open scene.duf,,(by text editor)  and check your saved author-info,, and input it , in preference,, 

you can save (ovewrite ) all file which you saved before,,without save as new file, or serch directory,,I think.

at least,, about DSON files,, it should work.   (if it not work for you sorry)

Post edited by kitakoredaz on

As for me,, it happend when I install beta 4.9,, then I input new Author-info,, for beta..after that, I could re-save all files,which I made in beta,,

but it not work about files  which I saved before. (maybe different Author-info)

then I change beta Author-info as same as ds 4.9 product version,, now it seems work,,,

eg (I make new scene in beata,, then save it in beta,,  next open it in product version,, and try to save it,, it simply overwrite same file,, without  ask me save directory)

I think,, DAZ studio check "author info" of  scene.duf,, ,, then compare it with author info of current daz studio preferecne.

if you open scene.duf,,(by text editor)  and check your saved author-info,, and input it , in preference,, 

you can save (ovewrite ) all file which you saved before,,without save as new file, or serch directory,,I think.

at least,, about DSON files,, it should work.   (if it not work for you sorry)

And that was it!  I recall running into that issue before now that you mention the solution but its been so long since i have that I totally forgot about it.

Thank you very much Kitakoredaz! :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited April 2016

Well I was so so excited to finally find a tutorial for making basic meta data and even included how to get a product image to show for the category but  for some reason the image is still not showing.  The meta data was saved successfully saved to the Runtime> Support folder.  I then made an icon image 114 X 148 Pixels and named it exactly the same name as the meta data name and saved it to the Support folder.  Restarted DS and .... nada.  While it's not showing the generic Local User icon it's not showing my nice image.  It's showing some weird accumulated looking icon of a mixture of stuff under that non DAZ umbrella where everything non or old DAZ gets dropped (which I STILL do not agree with this approch at all). 

Spooky, please enlighten me as to why, even after following the tutoral to the letter, that my own image is not showing for the product that I created meta data for. 

Thank you

Richard

ScreenHunter_180 Apr. 08 09.36.jpg
    417 x 557 - 67K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Did you re-import metadata after adding the image?

Yes! 

OK. Redid the meta data, I guess practice makes perfect.  Now my pose pack is into it's own category with the icon but still have that local user data icon next to it so not sure but I guess I'll need to go through ALL of the Hivewire stuff and make proper meta data to make that go away? 

ScreenHunter_180 Apr. 08 15.46.jpg
    422 x 478 - 48K
  • JDStriderJDStrider Posts: 98
    RAMWolff said:

Well I was so so excited to finally find a tutorial for making basic meta data and even included how to get a product image to show for the category but  for some reason the image is still not showing.  The meta data was saved successfully saved to the Runtime> Support folder.  I then made an icon image 114 X 148 Pixels and named it exactly the same name as the meta data name and saved it to the Support folder.  Restarted DS and .... nada.  While it's not showing the generic Local User icon it's not showing my nice image.  It's showing some weird accumulated looking icon of a mixture of stuff under that non DAZ umbrella where everything non or old DAZ gets dropped (which I STILL do not agree with this approch at all). 

Spooky, please enlighten me as to why, even after following the tutoral to the letter, that my own image is not showing for the product that I created meta data for. 

Thank you

Richard

I posted a question to the original beta thread about the need to 'Re-Import' the metadata after creating it, even when the required images are present in the runtime\support folder.

I never got any type of response. I guess it is by design, based on something that is hitherto unknown... :-(

The steps that I follow include the re-import once I have completed all of the other steps and that works ALMOST everytime... [wink, wink]

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    RAMWolff said:

Thank you

Richard

Where might this be? (the tutorial)

It's part of my playlist but you can see it here

• FishbaitFishbait Posts: 10

OK, I want to download Daz Studio 4.9 Connect. I have 4.8, but I can't find 4.9 connect so I can download it. I found it once and read on, but now There is nothing I can find to download 4.9 connect..

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Fishbait said:

OK, I want to download Daz Studio 4.9 Connect. I have 4.8, but I can't find 4.9 connect so I can download it. I found it once and read on, but now There is nothing I can find to download 4.9 connect..

If you use DIM, you should see Daz Studio 4.9 in the list of Product Updates. If you want a direct download try https://www.daz3d.com/get_studio

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

My advice is backup 4.8 first.

• Kharma said:
    barbult said:

barbult said:

The same for me. I stopped to use connect because folder structure is not visible, then this can't be used to build custom categories. For products with several nested subfolders is a real pain to create the same structure when before one only right click was needed. So I stay with DIM and CL too, because connect was a backward in custom categorization for me.

• GiGi_7 said:
    Kharma said:
    barbult said:

barbult said:

The same for me. I stopped to use connect because folder structure is not visible, then this can't be used to build custom categories. For products with several nested subfolders is a real pain to create the same structure when before one only right click was needed. So I stay with DIM and CL too, because connect was a backward in custom categorization for me.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#private_channel

• Update to DzCloud 1.0.0.203; initial virtual folder support
    • Added basic support for Daz Connect virtual folders in Content Library pane
    • Daz Connect virtual folders are now the first child of Daz Studio and Poser Formats in the Content Library pane when products have been installed via Daz Connect

edited April 2016

Need a little help.  I started exploring making some use of the Render Library so my renders are kept safe and in their original form.  Issue is that when I click to Open up pops the "Substance Utilities" dialog from Allegorithmic so at some point a file extension that is similar must have gotten reassigned to that.  I was wondering that certain functions in DAZ Studio when things pop up don't look even remotely like anything from DAZ Studio so aside from uninstalling their program how do I fix these extensions so they are back under the DS umbrella?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    RAMWolff said:

I was wondering that certain functions in DAZ Studio when things pop up don't look even remotely like anything from DAZ Studio so aside from uninstalling their program how do I fix these extensions so they are back under the DS umbrella?

That is under the control of your Operating System...so what version of Windows are you running?

This should work for Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-file-open-program#1TC=windows-7

And in Windows 8.1

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-associate-file-type-or-protocol-program

And Windows 10

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-set-default-programs-and-file-types-in-windows-10/

edited April 2016

Thanks for the links but it's a protocol that's being called up and the Allegorithmic program is being assigned to it.  I have no idea what the extension to the protocol is.  I have the "choose default app by file type but there are literally hundreds of them.  If I know what I'm looking for I can set it up right.  Doing it by protocol doesn't even have DS mentioned nor Allegorithmic. 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    RAMWolff said:

Thanks for the links but it's a protocol that's being called up and the Allegorithmic program is being assigned to it.  I have no idea what the extension to the protocol is.  I have the "choose default app by file type but there are literally hundreds of them.  If I know what I'm looking for I can set it up right.  Doing it by protocol doesn't even have DS mentioned nor Allegorithmic. 

Crap...

That makes it harder to trace down...the other way...searching through the registry...is even worse.