DAZ Studio 4.9.1 Pro, General Release!

DAZ_VinceDAZ_Vince Posts: 114
edited March 2016 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Daz Studio 4.9.1 Pro General Release!

• Version: 4.9.1.30
  • Date: 2016-3-8

!! IF YOU HAVE NOT UPGRADED TO THE GENERAL RELEASE OF 4.9, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR CONTENT DATABASE IN DAZ STUDIO 4.x (E.G., 4.6, 4.7, 4.8) BEFORE LAUNCHING DAZ STUDIO 4.9 !!

How do I backup my User Data in Daz Studio?

!! IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY MIGRATED FROM THE OLDER VALENTINA DB BASED CMS TO THE POSTGRESQL BASED CMS, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU DO SO BEFORE LAUNCHING DAZ STUDIO 4.9 !!

Has the Content Management Service (CMS) changed?

Highlights:

• Fixed various issues relating to being able to deliver Interactive Lessons via Daz Connect (add support for the ability install these like content instead of like a plugin)
  • Updated the usage example embedded within the Interactive Lesson common include script
  • Fixed an issue where MDL Directory Manager would hang on launch
  • Fixed an issue in the Poser format importer with resolving paths of files installed via Daz Connect
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the missing image prompt from appearing when images are missing on file load
  • Added shader language identifiers for Material(s) and Shader presets; MDL (Iray) vs RSL (3Delight) etc.
  • The sorting order option in smart content views/pages is now saved/restored between sessions (Smart Content Files/Products, Shaping Presets, Posing Presets, Surfaces Presets, Lights Presets, Cameras Presets, Render Settings Presets, etc).
  • Fixed several issues with Scene Builder (now based on the 4.9 database instead of 4.6, 4.7, 4.8)
  • Fixed path resolution for *.daz based content installed using Daz Connect
  • A snapshot of categories and compatibility bases for assets are now copied when creating a product
  • Fixed #DS-1142/#CS-210179 : Case-insensitive sort of folders and files
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the removal of assets from products that were not installed through Daz Connect
  • Removed the “Remove Orphaned File References” and “Consolidate File References” options from DB Maintenance dialog (does not make sense with the 4.9 database structure)
  • Fixed an issue that prevented renaming of products that were not installed through Daz Connect
  • Fixed an issue with product update triggers to prevent erroneous product deletes
  • Extended the Store add/remove scripting API (removing "DAZ 3D" or "LOCAL USER" stores is not supported)
  • Reserved values (i.e., "DAZ 3D" and "LOCAL USER" stores, and "LOCAL USER" product) are are now ensured to be present in the database on setup/startup
  • Fixed an issue with setting the texture type while copying a layered texture
  • Fixed an issue in Iray Uber shader with the application of Diffuse Strength to images
  • Fixed an issue with Poser format files failing to receive metadata when the parent directory of the runtime directory was not also mapped as a native directory
  • Fixed an issue where migrated products that were installed by Install Manager (or manually) were being marked as being installed by Daz Connect.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented a serial number from being entered while working offline (unless adjacent wizard pages were stepped back/forth after the serial number was entered into the field).
  • Fixed an issue with inaccurate indication of missing file on scene load (some products that are already installed were showing as needing to be installed).
  • Fixed incorrectly removing existing asset records in the database when importing metadata from dsx files.
  • Fixed advanced filter date parsing in smart asset/product views (see Advanced Filtering for more information).
  • Fixed system configuration detection to be the same on 64 bit and 32 bit*
  • Fixed system configuration detection to handle machine accounts with admin privileges*
  • Fixed issues with messaging on failed connections to be more accurate (some occurances incorrectly stated that the username or password were incorrect)
  • Fixed the “Update Metadata” action in context menus for products so that it now forces an update to the metadata cache rather than refreshing from the local cache
  • Fixed the LOCAL USER product image (./resources/images/local-user-product.png was missing)
  • Fixed an issue that could cause multiple unending connection attempts (prevented the application from successfully closing)
  • Fixed an issue where account credentials were not being converted before being handed to Daz Connect (caused login to fail when non-ASCII characters were used)
  • Fixed migration triggers for products where the StoreId is not “DAZ 3D” and/or where the ProductToken is empty

See the Change Log for more details.

*Note: A "Configuration Changed" message is expected to display for all users that have logged into Daz Connect upon launching this build; until said user has logged into Daz Connect a minimum of one more time; the system configuration detection algorithm changed to resolve differences as noted above, so everyone is impacted.

Important Notes:

• The first time you launch Daz Studio 4.9, any data that exists in the content database is migrated so that it can be used in Daz Studio 4.9.
  • The amount of time the database migration operation takes is proportional to the amount of data to be migrated.
  • The database migration operation does not delete the data that it migrates from the previous location so that it remains accessible by earlier versions and other applications, such as Carrara.
  • Daz Studio 4.9 uses the same PostgreSQL database as Daz Studio 4.6 and later, and/or other applications, such as Carrara.
  • A portion of the data contained within the database is shared amongst versions but not entirely. For example:
    • Creating a category in either Daz Studio 4.9 or 4.8 will cause that category to exist in the other version
    • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.9 will NOT cause that file to be assigned to that category in Daz Studio 4.8
    • Assigning a file to that category in Daz Studio 4.8 WILL cause the file to be assigned to the category in Daz Studio 4.9
  • Reseting the database in any version of Daz Studio that uses PostgreSQL (e.g., 4.6 or later) will purge all of data in the database, including any data that may be used by earlier versions or other applications, such as Carrara.
  • After the initial migration operation, edited metadata in Daz Studio 4.8 will not be migrated to Daz Studio 4.9.
    • A workaround is to export User Data from Daz Studio 4.8 and reimport User Data in Daz Studio 4.9.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Frequently Asked Daz Connect Questions:

Public Beta Threads:

Previous General Release:

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,162

Is there any documentation?

Yes, there is.  And we're actively working on more.

Check out the User Guide and QuickStart Guide that we've posted in the DAZ Studio 4.x Documentation section.

The Reference Guide is also in the process of being populated/updated.

Some of the areas we have been focusing on (and will be recieving updates first) are:

*Note: Some pages are still being built. If you see "permission denied" for a page, that page is not live yet.

edited March 2016

Have the content packages been updated too?

The "Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio 4.8+" package has been updated; it now includes files that were previously included as "Built In Content" with the application package itself. It has also been renamed to "Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.9+" so that it better reflects the fact that it contains more than just lights and shaders.

*Note: Install Manager users, and users of Daz Studio 4.9 when the products are installed through the application, are notified of product updates when they occur.

• Tensen01Tensen01 Posts: 22

Is there any way to downgrade back to 4.7? I'm on an older machine and am having nothing but trouble with 4.9

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,910

Is there any way to downgrade back to 4.7? I'm on an older machine and am having nothing but trouble with 4.9

Find a 4.7 installer (either from a backup if you have one, or ask DAZ support if they can give you one), and reinstall it.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385

my update is not working inside Daz...what's the point of including then???

Capteeure.PNG
    414 x 654 - 46K
    edited March 2016

my update is not working inside Daz...what's the point of including then???

That button causes a check for whether an update is available to occur. It does not cause, nor has it ever caused, an update to be downloaded/installed directly through the application. Clicking the button (or allowing the automatic check to occur) does not currently result in an indication that an update is available, because there is another update (i.e., 4.9.2.x) to be tested/released before we announce the version of 4.9 (that will adresses the remaining User Data issues that some have encountered) to the segment of the userbase that does not read/frequent the forums or the website.

-Rob

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139

Thanks for the update, seems to be working fine!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017

Is the released 4.9.1.30 exactly the same as the 4.9.1.30 Beta RC3?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    barbult said:

Yes

barbult said:

Yes. For the time being.

-Rob

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited March 2016

upgrade, painless like it has been for the last 7 years. I am glad of the update as I had a bluescreen that other day, yes I have been pushing Iray hard but never ran out of RAM enough to Bluescreen. I just hope it isn't a HDD or RAM issue. 

Post edited by Szark on
    edited March 2016
    Szark said:

upgrade, painless like it has been for the last 7 years. I am glad of the update as I had a bluescreen that other day, yes I have been pushing Iray hard but never ran out of RAM enough to Bluescreen. I just hope it isn't a HDD or RAM issue. 

Bluescreen, if it repeats, is usually a Ram, or Graphics card issue. Less likely a CPU or MOBO issue. The most obvious, since it happened during rendering, is overheating. 

Could also be a driver. 

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on

LOL Yep I have just updated drivers, new RAM modules installed 3 weeks ago and HDD is about two years old. It did say APPCrash for the Bluescreen but it always fails to say which app. LOL

• I'd like a fix for the DAZ 4.9 (DIM) Windows Registry. I still have old installers that won't install unless I use a older version of DAZ Studio installed with an executable. The DIM install of DAZ 4.9 has missing registry entires that older installers of content use and won't install the files after putting them in the temp directory.

Szark said:

LOL Yep I have just updated drivers, new RAM modules installed 3 weeks ago and HDD is about two years old. It did say APPCrash for the Bluescreen but it always fails to say which app. LOL

There are some reports of issues with a recent NVIDIA Driver. 

Arr thanks Spooky..that could be it then. I run a prettty tight ship and it shows with how little I have software issues.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363

Hmmm, when I click to install the new update via DIM, it shows Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.9+ and Interactive Lessons for DAZ Studio 4.9+ and a whole bunch of other content files.  However, DAZ Studio 4.9.1.30 Pro itself does not show as one of the files being downloaded.  Is it included in the Default Resources file or am I missing something?

• Mari-Anne said:

Hmmm, when I click to install the new update via DIM, it shows Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.9+ and Interactive Lessons for DAZ Studio 4.9+ and a whole bunch of other content files.  However, DAZ Studio 4.9.1.30 Pro itself does not show as one of the files being downloaded.  Is it included in the Default Resources file or am I missing something?

Check that you have download filters set to show applications, it (and the plug-ins) are separate packages.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363

Yep, all filters set OK - and.....after it all downloaded, sure enough!  There was Daz Studio 4.9.1.30 Pro Edition.  It was dimmed out to begin with, but found its way to the right spot.  As always, Thank you, Richard!!

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,804
    edited March 2016

So I bit the bullet and upgraded, and it seems ... to have gone mostly OK.

That said: Is there any way to get Smart Content to show you what content is available only as Encrypted Daz Connect? I picked up all the freebies that were available before, but I don't remember the names of all of them, and can't figure out how to find them.

Also, if the Powers That Be be listening, I would like to VERY STRONGLY SUGGEST that the materials for the different things be more clearly labeled when more than one option exists. I was able to find the Rustic Living Room, an encrypted only product, that I remembered, and downloaded it through Connect. I clicked on the product, and props and materials were clearly labeled at that level. But I was really confused because there were so many sets of materials. Then I realized that the Smart Content materials for that product were categorized as "Iray : Props" and "Props". I went to look at the product page, and yep, it has both 3DL and Iray materials. So I'm guessing -- since that's kind of all I can do -- that "Materials: Props" are the 3DL materials. More explicit clarity would be much appreciated.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    vwrangler said:

That said: Is there any way to get Smart Content to show you what content is available only as Encrypted Daz Connect? I picked up all the freebies that were available before, but I don't remember the names of all of them, and can't figure out how to find them.

Also, if the Powers That Be be listening, I would like to VERY STRONGLY SUGGEST that the materials for the different things be more clearly labeled when more than one option exists. I was able to find the Rustic Living Room, an encrypted only product, that I remembered, and downloaded it through Connect. I clicked on the product, and props and materials were clearly labeled at that level. But I was really confused because there were so many sets of materials. Then I realized that the Smart Content materials for that product were categorized as "Iray : Props" and "Props". I went to look at the product page, and yep, it has both 3DL and Iray materials. So I'm guessing -- since that's kind of all I can do -- that "Materials: Props" are the 3DL materials. More explicit clarity would be much appreciated.

That product does not haver a subfolder for either Iray or 3Delight? (Depending on when it was set up, it should, at a minimum, have a Iray folder as a sub folder of materials.) If it doesn't please file a support ticket.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,804
    vwrangler said:

That product does not haver a subfolder for either Iray or 3Delight? (Depending on when it was set up, it should, at a minimum, have a Iray folder as a sub folder of materials.) If it doesn't please file a support ticket.

In Smart Content, the listing for the materials for that item is

- Materials : Props

- Materials : Iray : Props

So, yes, it does have a subsection for the Iray props; what it doesn't have is any clear designation that the one that's just labeled "props" is for 3Delight items. And if you click at the Materials top level, it's hard to make sense of what you're seeing at first, because the items are, for example, "Rug Materials" and "Rug Materials Iray". And since the actual Content Library directory structure doesn't exist for Connect-only items, you don't get that visual hint to help you understand what's going on.

I do understand that's probably a leftover artifact of sorts -- when 3Delight was the only render engine in Studio, just labeling something "Materials" was enough. It isn't, quite, now. One thing I haven't done enough exploring to know: would items that have only Iray materials, and no 3Delight at all, be listed simply with "Materials"? (Granted, that probably wouldn't matter hugely, unless you needed to know if 3DL materials were available for the item, and that wouldn't tell you.)

As far as the other question goes, though: Is there a way to get either Smart Content or, alternately, the website Product Library to tell me what stuff is Encrypted Daz Connect? Or the website itself, if push comes to shove? The only other option I've been able to cobble together is this Google search string, which kinda sorta works, but isn't optimal. I've tried everything I can think of with the Google search to exclude the forums, but that simply makes the search fail outright, so there's a fair amount of noise.

• I agree that new products should have both types indicated. There has been some unneeded confusion over this. I got one product that didn't indicate it was for Iray and I assumed it was for 3Delight so I wasn't going to use it until I later found out it was for Iray. frown

Today, I noticed this in the description of the new release - Fabric Basics Lace for Iray.

"This is a merchant resource! See the readme for details. 3Delight presets are not included, however the Iray presets render quite lovely in 3Delight without any adjustment or converting."

It sure would be great if that were true for all Iray materials. yes

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Where is the option to create Custom Action in Smart Content when installing with connect, I can only find it in Content Library when I right click on a product that has been installed with Dom, which means one more thing that doesn't work when using connect to install products?

• Kharma said:

Where is the option to create Custom Action in Smart Content when installing with connect, I can only find it in Content Library when I right click on a product that has been installed with Dom, which means one more thing that doesn't work when using connect to install products?

Right-click the item in Smart Content and select "Show in Content Library". If it was installed via Connect you will see that "Mapped Folder" is greyed out, but "Products" is available. Click that and you will be taken to the item's shortcut in Product view. Right click the icon there and you will see the Create Custom Action in the menu.

Also if you will be creating folders for shortcuts for Connect products in Content Library the command will work with those too.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017
    vwrangler said:

Please remember that with Daz Connect, all those folders are hidden from us. They do not show up in Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library. The lack of clear naming/icons to differentiate Iray materials from 3Delight materials is a real problem for users who install with Daz Connect.

• barbult said:

Please remember that with Daz Connect, all those folders are hidden from us. They do not show up in Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library. The lack of clear naming/icons to differentiate Iray materials from 3Delight materials is a real problem for users who install with Daz Connect.

I'm pretty sure DAZ_Spooky is talking about the "folders" in Smart Content. For example, in the attached screenshot there is an Iray folder and if you click on that you will only see Iray materials (as shown). The 3DL materials are in the other folders which are categorized according to parts of the body: Eyes, Skin, and Masculine (which is all of them).

But this is still a bit mysterious if you don't know how this convention works, and I would prefer the icon to indicate the renderer as well as relying on categorization (although I think that is very useful for its filtering capabilities). I notice that some PAs do seem to be indicating the render type on icons, but it's a minority.

iray_mats.jpg
    320 x 489 - 93K
    edited March 2016

barbult said:

Those folders are in the Smart Content tab under both files and products. 

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    barbult said:

I'm pretty sure DAZ_Spooky is talking about the "folders" in Smart Content. For example, in the attached screenshot there is an Iray folder and if you click on that you will only see Iray materials (as shown). The 3DL materials are in the other folders which are categorized according to parts of the body: Eyes, Skin, and Masculine (which is all of them).

But this is still a bit mysterious if you don't know how this convention works, and I would prefer the icon to indicate the renderer as well as relying on categorization (although I think that is very useful for its filtering capabilities). I notice that some PAs do seem to be indicating the render type on icons, but it's a minority.

While I agree that an indicator for which render engine a particular material preset is designed for would be nice, I would like to point out that in a 91x91 image, there is only so much real estate. :) There is a second issue that many products, usually designed before Iray was a possibility, render just fine in Iray with the 3Delight Shaders. Having them marked as 3Delight is likely to be equally confusing to customers. 

Yes, it has been discussed, it probably will be discussed again. 

• edited March 2016

Hi everyone, I will just try and bundle up all my concerns to this one post. I have the latest version of D:S 64 bit, and I assume if its 32 or 64 the same applies. First of all I can say I like it the way it's layout is now..It has come a long ways..and I applaud Daz for sticking with it..but here comes that old ghost I have experienced time after time with different versions..the magical vanishung library..lol first off I noticed that my victoria 4.2 stuff was not showing up..(yeah no offense to Gen sttuff..but I still like V4 the most) but after some research I found that I need to convert it to metadate? I guess.. accoridng to the article it says any download not with the checkmark has to be done that way I guess.. wow I got a lot of V4 items with no checkmark. Does that mean I will have to manually do each and every one of them to get them to show up? Item 2 iRay.. so D:S recognized I had an nVidia card and set my rendering engine to iRay..and well it was the slowest thing on earth.. I swtched back to 3delight..and it sped up..What exactly is the purpose/point of iRay then? Is there another renderer faster than delight? .. I noticed one other one, but it says I need 2gb on my card..but I only have 1gb.. (it is a geforce gtx 560 ti) so I guess that would be useless. i dont plan to run out and buy new hardware either..this is a hobbie, not a career. PS: Maybe Daz can just make the library an independent plugin so we dont have to go through trying to find it..over and over again :) ..Oops almost forgot... Does Bryce sttill integrate with D:S? i/e bridge or whatever it's called..I thought tht was a nice feature in the older versions

Post edited by michaelxm_a1dddd836b on