Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Damn you, Brinnen, had to log in and comment on that one, very nice, love it!
    Super-cool looking floor again as well.

TTFN

Post edited by pumeco on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 2012

A variation of a render I posted elsewhere on the forum.
    Slightly different style from my usual (and the bear could do with being dropped down a few millimeters).

BearTreeALT.jpg
    1200 x 780 - 538K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Kerya said:
    I want to say THANK YOU! to Horo and David!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13080/

P.S. How long does the download stay?
    I have only weekends to download ...

You're more than welcome. At least until the end of the year. If you need more time, just tell us.

Or end of the world, whichever comes first :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited December 1969

It won't come. There's not such an easy way out. :)

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Easy way out? Poles reversing and the world being ripped apart as a result (based on one of the more recent variations of what's supposed to happen on 12/21/12) doesn't sound like an easy out to me. :) What's really funny to me is how this Mayan Calander thing has changed over the years. I first became aware of it in my teenage years in the 70's, when I was fascinated with the concept of aliens having visited earth in the past. At the time I was reading several books by Erich von Daniken such as Chariot of The Gods, Gold Of The Gods and two or three others. In one of them it talked about a visit to a Mayan site and the Mayan Calander and refered to the infamous date of 12-21-12. Except in that version of the Mayan Calander story the world wasn't supposed to end on 2012 but rather Aliens who supposedly were responsible for things like the Nazca Lines in Peru (which make images only visible from the sky and were created well before man had the ability to fly) would supposedly return to Earth at that time. Since then however it has become, for some reason, a forecast of doomsday with one version being that due to some sort of cosmic alignment of planets the earth's poles will suddenly shift causing earthquakes, tsunamis and the earth being stripped of the part of the atmosphere that protects us from the damagin effect of solar winds.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I guess we are less likely to panic this side of the pond, My Family survived this, we can survive anything. Both my brother and I were born in London, him in 1941. If you pan westwards to Putney bridge on the river and then see Hurlingham on a zoomed in screen, you will see how they missed us. http://bombsight.org/#15/51.4649/-0.1973

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

chohole said:
    I guess we are less likely to panic this side of the pond, My Family survived this, we can survive anything. Both my brother and I were born in London, him in 1941. If you pan westwards to Putney bridge on the river and then see Hurlingham on a zoomed in screen, you will see how they missed us. http://bombsight.org/#15/51.4649/-0.1973
    I was thinking of that this morning. Every time I hear a war plane I get heart racing and want to run into the cellar.
    bloop_010_(1022x766).jpg
    1022 x 766 - 248K
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
    edited December 2012

A variation of a render I posted elsewhere on the forum.
    Slightly different style from my usual (and the bear could do with being dropped down a few millimeters).

Eyes beer.
    bloop_011_(1022x766).jpg
    1022 x 766 - 106K
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
    edited December 1969

At the time I was reading several books by Erich von Daniken such as Chariot of The Gods, Gold Of The Gods and two or three others. In one of them it talked about a visit to a Mayan site and the Mayan Calander and refered to the infamous date of 12-21-12.

Compatriot of mine. Yes, read all his stuff at the time. Was fascinated. Not that I took everything as plain truth, but it made me thinking out of the usual box.
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I was thinking of that this morning. Every time I hear a war plane I get heart racing and want to run into the cellar.

Nice Render there looks familiar...

I think your model came out looking better than mine.

necklace.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 736K
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 2012

Horo said:

Easy way out? Poles reversing and the world being ripped apart as a result (based on one of the more recent variations of what's supposed to happen on 12/21/12) doesn't sound like an easy out to me. :) What's really funny to me is how this Mayan Calander thing has changed over the years. I first became aware of it in my teenage years in the 70's, when I was fascinated with the concept of aliens having visited earth in the past. At the time I was reading several books by Erich von Daniken such as Chariot of The Gods, Gold Of The Gods and two or three others. In one of them it talked about a visit to a Mayan site and the Mayan Calander and refered to the infamous date of 12-21-12. Except in that version of the Mayan Calander story the world wasn't supposed to end on 2012 but rather Aliens who supposedly were responsible for things like the Nazca Lines in Peru (which make images only visible from the sky and were created well before man had the ability to fly) would supposedly return to Earth at that time. Since then however it has become, for some reason, a forecast of doomsday with one version being that due to some sort of cosmic alignment of planets the earth's poles will suddenly shift causing earthquakes, tsunamis and the earth being stripped of the part of the atmosphere that protects us from the damagin effect of solar winds.

Actually, it's hard to know exactly what the Mayans were predicting with the 12/21/12 date - I'm not sure if you could really even call it a prediction. The Mayans' "long-count" calendar, which is the calendar that supposedly predicts our doom (they had three calendars, each of which were more accurate than ours today), simply ends at 12/21/12 - that is the end of this particular "time epoch" or cycle (called a b'ak'tun). There are, in fact, inscriptions in Mayan ruins that refer to dates after 12/21/12, so obviously the Mayans did think we would be around for awhile after that. I believe the latest date reference found so far is in the year 4772, LOL!

But the Mayans aren't the only source of concern for some concerning this date. Prophets through the years have predicted great troubles surrounding the year 2012. People like Nostradamus and Edgar Cayce foretold ominous events unfolding and great societal changes (or demise). I even heard once of a program that searches the web for some sort of signs of societal change and mumbo-jumbo that has come up with 12/21/12 as the date of some sort of cataclysmic event. 12/21/12 has become a cottage industry.

But then, the end of epochs has always captured our attention, and it does seem that the beginning of a millenium is often marked with societal and political upheavals. The years around 1000AD saw the beginning of the dark ages and assorted other joys (black plague, etc.). Remember our own fascination with Y2K? Not so much the computer date-change thing, that was a real possibility - but all of the other doom-and-gloom predictions. My take on that is, if there are to be great changes in our world at the end of a millenium, I doubt it would happen exactly in time with our calendar. So 2012 doesn't seem that far off from 2000, if you want to tie the whole "Mayan Calendar/New Millenium" thing together.

Of course, if you tie enough "stuff" together, you can support almost any argument...

Post edited by cjreynolds on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Let my computer do some work while I got some wood cut. Need to keep that stove fed!

No particular objecting with the renders, just trying some materials out on some geometry under some (obscure) light.

Obscure_light_experiment5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 502K
    Obscure_light_experiment4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 848K
    Obscure_light_experiment3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 826K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

(they had three calendars, each of which were more accurate than ours today),
    LOL!

Prophets through the years have predicted great troubles surrounding the year 2012. People like Nostradamus and Edgar Cayce foretold ominous events unfolding and great societal changes (or demise).
    LOL!

My take on that is, if there are to be great changes in our world at the end of a millenium, I doubt it would happen exactly in time with our calendar. So 2012 doesn't seem that far off from 2000, if you want to tie the whole "Mayan Calendar/New Millenium" thing together.

LOL!

Of course, if you tie enough "stuff" together, you can support almost any argument...
    Yes, I see what you did there. :lol:

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Polar bear image looks good, as usual. Diamonds are looking good as well.

@eireann & Rareth: You both are doing fantastic work. Rareth, that diamond is looking better as the work progress.

@David: Those texture images look really interesting. Nice job.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Roland4:
    That dof is quite strong for such scene - it makes it look like it was miniature.

@Rareth:
    I like your gem shaders and light setup more and more with every new update... The last two gem renders are already very interesting.

@TheSavage64:
    'Van Gogh’s football' and 'Van Gogh’s Bauble' are trippy - it would be cool to have these on this year's Christmas Tree.

I like light on the landscape with the tree and bear render. Lowering the bear down so that it'd slightly overlap with the ground and the gift would be very beneficial to this image. And.... poor bear! Looks like he lost sight... I can't see his eyes :(

edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - Nice winter scene, it's even snowing. The parcel must have been poset just a few minutes ago.

@eireann.sg - Nicely done and lit object.

@Rareth - looking very nice.

@David - second one suffers from some moire. Not that I would particularly like the floor on the first one, but it is a very interesting accomplishment. No qualms about the third.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Another gem render from me. Blue-violet Quartz; IOR 1.53-1.55. DOF, bloom, flare, colour correction in post.

Modelled by me a year ago after: http://web.archive.org/web/20090511115201/http://www.faceters.com/designs/ad6/check11.shtml I kind of like this simple design - as well as many other checkers.

20_checker_.png
    900 x 600 - 920K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Actually, it's hard to know exactly what the Mayans were predicting with the 12/21/12 date - I'm not sure if you could really even call it a prediction. The Mayans' "long-count" calendar, which is the calendar that supposedly predicts our doom (they had three calendars, each of which were more accurate than ours today), simply ends at 12/21/12 - that is the end of this particular "time epoch" or cycle (called a b'ak'tun). There are, in fact, inscriptions in Mayan ruins that refer to dates after 12/21/12, so obviously the Mayans did think we would be around for awhile after that. I believe the latest date reference found so far is in the year 4772, LOL!

But the Mayans aren't the only source of concern for some concerning this date. Prophets through the years have predicted great troubles surrounding the year 2012. People like Nostradamus and Edgar Cayce foretold ominous events unfolding and great societal changes (or demise). I even heard once of a program that searches the web for some sort of signs of societal change and mumbo-jumbo that has come up with 12/21/12 as the date of some sort of cataclysmic event. 12/21/12 has become a cottage industry.

But then, the end of epochs has always captured our attention, and it does seem that the beginning of a millenium is often marked with societal and political upheavals. The years around 1000AD saw the beginning of the dark ages and assorted other joys (black plague, etc.). Remember our own fascination with Y2K? Not so much the computer date-change thing, that was a real possibility - but all of the other doom-and-gloom predictions. My take on that is, if there are to be great changes in our world at the end of a millenium, I doubt it would happen exactly in time with our calendar. So 2012 doesn't seem that far off from 2000, if you want to tie the whole "Mayan Calendar/New Millenium" thing together.

Don't get me wrong, I don't actually believe the end of the world is going to happen in 10 days. If it were I would think there would be some signs of something developing already. I seriously doubt it's going to happen in the blink of an eye. Like the polar shift thing some favor, historically for the earth the poles have changed several times and we've found evidence of it in the planet's geological record. What we've also observed is these shifts take hundreds of years. All I believe the Mayan Calender predicts is the end of that Calender.

All I'm saying is how it's funny that back in the 70's the prediction supposedly was the return of aliens who alledgedly influenced life on earth and yet somehow now that has changed into this whole other perdiction that has nothing to do with aliens returning to earth. I do believe there will be a doomsday not too far off. Maybe not in our lifetime but certainly before things like our sun dying or our planet getting hit by an asteroid. I believe it because there are so many that thru the major religions, believe there is an inevitable doomsday and they believe it so strongly they'll do their part to try to make it happen.

edited December 1969

Don't get me wrong, I don't actually believe the end of the world is going to happen in 10 days. If it were I would think there would be some signs of something developing already. I seriously doubt it's going to happen in the blink of an eye. Like the polar shift thing some favor, historically for the earth the poles have changed several times and we've found evidence of it in the planet's geological record. What we've also observed is these shifts take hundreds of years. All I believe the Mayan Calender predicts is the end of that Calender.

All I'm saying is how it's funny that back in the 70's the prediction supposedly was the return of aliens who alledgedly influenced life on earth and yet somehow now that has changed into this whole other perdiction that has nothing to do with aliens returning to earth. I do believe there will be a doomsday not too far off. Maybe not in our lifetime but certainly before things like our sun dying or our planet getting hit by an asteroid. I believe it because there are so many that thru the major religions, believe there is an inevitable doomsday and they believe it so strongly they'll do their part to try to make it happen.

Totally agree - most of those sort of natural catastrophes (except asteroid strikes, etc.) happen over long periods of time - we can kill each other off a lot faster than that!

edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:
    @Roland4:
    That dof is quite strong for such scene - it makes it look like it was miniature.

@Rareth:
    I like your gem shaders and light setup more and more with every new update... The last two gem renders are already very interesting.

@TheSavage64:
    'Van Gogh’s football' and 'Van Gogh’s Bauble' are trippy - it would be cool to have these on this year's Christmas Tree.

I like light on the landscape with the tree and bear render. Lowering the bear down so that it'd slightly overlap with the ground and the gift would be very beneficial to this image. And.... poor bear! Looks like he lost sight... I can't see his eyes :(

for the most part the diamond has the Bryce diammond mat that came with it, I tweaked Refraction a bit, and added slight reflection and diffuse. the big change is the specular halo where I went into the DTE to see if I could create something that mimics the light frequency separation that prisms do, when I get home from work, I put up some screen grabs of what I'm working on from the Deep Texture Editor, I'm close to the effect I want, just needs some more work.

also for lighting there are 3 dome area lights offset on the x and z axis by about half a bryce unit one red, one blue and one green, sitting around the Gem, and 1 radial light off to the side and up to add more highlights.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - second one suffers from some moire. Not that I would particularly like the floor on the first one, but it is a very interesting accomplishment. No qualms about the third.

Your observations are correct, actually I set my renders up to "provoke" some of these effects. The third is where I failed, I reviewed in low RPP and there was lots of secondary moire circles, but they did not show up in the fine render. I both like and hate moire, it is something almost magical in the way it appears and diabolical when you need to get shut of it. Well observed!

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

The years around 1000AD saw the beginning of the dark ages and assorted other joys (black plague, etc.)

The Dark Ages (such as they were) began around the 500s AD as a consequence of the collapse of western Roman power. This period coincided with a major plague pandemic. The Black Death itself (second major plague pandemic) hit in the 1300s AD. These years could be said to be around 1000 AD - close enough for Erich von Däniken standards anyway (who, rather worryingly, isn't predicting the end this year).

I'm going to pull my Bryce out of the TA dark ages and set up an obscure light scene following David's tutorial again. This time I will save it before messing with it...

BTW, David, your latest obscurely lit scenes look to enjoy very low noise. Are there new developments?

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Trying something that looks better. Two rocks, and two terrains. Basically, water level, with a ground plane and the 4 objects. I tried to change the water level, but it doesn't look like I thought it would. Rocks Beneath, turbulent. I have downloaded Bryce Pro, but not had a chance to install it yet. The orignal is larger, but I cropped it as the rest is open ocean.

island6b.png
    978 x 539 - 814K
    Post edited by GeroblueJim on
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    chohole said:

I think your model came out looking better than mine. No, I found your model stunning and just tried to make something like that but I dont have enough experience yet to get even close to your result.

edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:
    The years around 1000AD saw the beginning of the dark ages and assorted other joys (black plague, etc.)

The Dark Ages (such as they were) began around the 500s AD as a consequence of the collapse of western Roman power. This period coincided with a major plague pandemic. The Black Death itself (second major plague pandemic) hit in the 1300s AD. These years could be said to be around 1000 AD - close enough for Erich von Däniken standards anyway (who, rather worryingly, isn't predicting the end this year).

I stand corrected - that's what I get for using details I'm not sure of...

Good BS meter, Peter! :)

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Don't know much about history...

but I do know that I can't figure out where I've gone wrong with setting up the tutorial scene. Whilst this is low noise for boost light use, it's way higher than appears in David's scenes. There's aliasing too.

Actual size at 256 AD - sorry, rpp.

obscure_annoyance.jpg
    648 x 619 - 65K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    chohole said:

I think your model came out looking better than mine. No, I found your model stunning and just tried to make something like that but I dont have enough experience yet to get even close to your result.

the model was done in wings3d then imported, it was the result of me flying off on a tanget after watching David's box tutorial for wings3d object. the object itself is textured with polished gold for the outside piece, and ruby (gemstone) for the inside, the chain is just 3 torus objects, it sits on silk (misc/fabrics) and the sky is under starfields, blurry reflections turned on, 36 rpp and ray depth 4, and voila.

edited December 1969

ugh I know I said I would post screen grabs of my specular halo texture I'm using on the gems, but my computer is currently baking a blender fluid simulation, just so I can get a render of 1 frame of a 1 second animation. its over halfway done.. once its done I can launch bryce and get screenies.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

@eireann.sg - Nicely done and lit object.

For that I abused yet again your WäldchenAmSee HDRI picture :)
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Rareth

better now ?

Seaboard3.jpg
    750 x 500 - 239K
This discussion has been closed.