Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,135
    edited December 1969

Well I got home from tonight's gig and decided to continue with the sheath for the knife... So I added a bit more detailing... luckily it doesn't need covering in snow. :-)

Pam's snowy renders are looking really good, I think the trick with snow is to have no detail in the material. Snow has such a high reflective index that all detail within the material is easily bleached out by any light hitting it... Having said that, David's last sample with the blob sat on top of the sphere would make a fairly convincing polystyrene.

As for the renders of gems... they are all looking really nice. I've been wondering for some time if the refraction of Bryce materials would react in the same way as in the real world... and if you shine a white light onto a transparent prism, would the light split into it's spectrum colours?
    Maybe I'll have a look tomorrow.

I've also been wondering if you can get a light source to accurately simulate how a laser acts and reacts in the real world?

No, the prism doesn't work. I've experimented on this quite a while ago (which doesn't exclude the possibility that somebody comes up with a smart idea eventually). You can use Refraction to create a magnifying glass (or a telescope) using transparent 2D faces. At refraction 300, you get a x3 magnification. 2D faces can be stacked to increase magnification.

I think the prism doesn't work for the same reason light is not reflected in a mirror.

Sheath looks great!

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

@David
    But if you're having to do two passes and to use masks, surely you'd be better off using the in-scattering trick?
    Two identical objects: one Standard and one Volumetric.

Should be ideal for snow because snow has a hard edge in real life, not a soft one, and it looks a bit like milk etc the way light scatters through it. I can't test it but I'm buggered if I know why that wouldn't be ideal for snow because you'd have both the hard edge you need, and the ability to dilute the opacity towards the edges with great precision!

@Dave
    Liking the render overall but I disagree about the stitches, I think they look too vibrant and are too uniform (almost printed on). If you were to dull them down, cover them with little Toruses set into the holder (as you're doing it all in Bryce), and randomise the size, shape , and rotation of each torus slightly, that might improve the stitches.

Regards the prism thing, I have to agree with Horo there, unless some wise-ass figures out a trick then I don't think you'll be doing it in Bryce. Such things are normally the domain of physically-based renderers like Octane etc.

Enter the wise-ass (*groan*):

Me being being a self-confessed wise-ass I'm going to explain what's going on in my head right now, and how I would attempt such a thing, but I've not tested it and it's probably absolute bollocks.

So for starters, you want to be able to see something (the coloured light) that isn't normally seen because Bryce doesn't let you see the angles or paths of the rays. There's only one way I can think of to get Bryce to reveal where her rays travel (untested). Find out if shining a spotlight through Volumetric World will let you see a focused beam of light shining through it. If, for example you set a spot light to a very sharp and narrow beam, and it penetrated some dense scene-fog in a nice controllable way, that should give you and idea of how you might get Bryce to reveal where her rays are travelling through the scene.

If it works, then try firing the beam through a crystal prism in the same scene and see if the light in the fog comes out at a different angle. If it does, problem solved because that means Bryce can calculate refracted light through volumes (and that's what's needed), but if it doesn't, I haven't a clue what else to try. Like I said, probably absolute bollocks but I can't test it right now without an installation. I'd say there's a 75% chance of being disappointed.

Post edited by pumeco on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Len, however, as with the fluffy wool material, volumetric materials do not work with either metaspheres or mesh objects - and they don't like to overlap. So while what you suggest is true, it's not really practical as things stand without some tweaks to the Bryce material properties - which has been proposed.

Here's a render of an example scene from Horo and mines - next but one - up and coming products - a sequel if you will to The Treppenhalle Set of metals. The next next one should be the filters I mentioned earlier, but... this happens to be what I'm working on today.

Example_scene_5.jpg
    500 x 650 - 275K
    edited December 1969

I didn't realise the bug extended to blends between Metaspheres as well, bloody hell.
    I thought it was just soft edges like clouds etc, ah well.

Anyway, nice crisp-looking render.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    @Dave
    Liking the render overall but I disagree about the stitches, I think they look too vibrant and are too uniform (almost printed on). If you were to dull them down, cover them with little Toruses set into the holder (as you're doing it all in Bryce), and randomise the size, shape , and rotation of each torus slightly, that might improve the stitches.
    The stitches already are geometry (they started life as the intersection of Rashad's NURBS Cubes with a negative cut out to make them sort of staple shaped, they then have a cotton material with twisty bump that I made) and if you look at the output of a sewing machine, you'll see that it delivers completely constant sized stitches that run in a straight line. :)

As for the colour... Well last night, I decided that a knife with a shiny wooden handle that has a reflective metal blade would more likely come in a tan coloured sheath, so I started working on a tan coloured leather version, so the stitches won't be so obvious, having said that, the colour of the stitches at the moment is harking back to the time when all jeans and other strongly stitched fabrics all used the same type of thread, which was only ever available in that golden yellow colour... that's my excuse anyway.

Regards the prism thing, I have to agree with Horo there, unless some wise-ass figures out a trick then I don't think you'll be doing it in Bryce. Such things are normally the domain of physically-based renderers like Octane etc.

Enter the wise-ass (*groan*):

Me being being a self-confessed wise-ass I'm going to explain what's going on in my head right now, and how I would attempt such a thing, but I've not tested it and it's probably absolute bollocks.

So for starters, you want to be able to see something (the coloured light) that isn't normally seen because Bryce doesn't let you see the angles or paths of the rays. There's only one way I can think of to get Bryce to reveal where her rays travel (untested). Find out if shining a spotlight through Volumetric World will let you see a focused beam of light shining through it. If, for example you set a spot light to a very sharp and narrow beam, and it penetrated some dense scene-fog in a nice controllable way, that should give you and idea of how you might get Bryce to reveal where her rays are travelling through the scene.

If it works, then try firing the beam through a crystal prism in the same scene and see if the light in the fog comes out at a different angle. If it does, problem solved because that means Bryce can calculate refracted light through volumes (and that's what's needed), but if it doesn't, I haven't a clue what else to try. Like I said, probably absolute bollocks but I can't test it right now without an installation. I'd say there's a 75% chance of being disappointed.

I've been playing around with this this morning... and got nowhere (though I didn't try the volumetric world because it takes an age to render).
    Setting a parallel light on the ground allows the beam of light to show up in the same way as you would expect with a volumetric fog. The light beam behaved as Horo reported, the light doesn't bend when it hits a glass prism and a light beam doesn't reflect off a mirrored surface... so my thoughts which were originally to set up a complex laser beam type render with the beam going through prisms and being reflected off mirrors looks like a non starter in Bryce.

StitchDetail.jpg
    800 x 500 - 251K
    edited December 2012

The stitches look loads better now that I've seen a close-up of them, I just thought they looked too perfect from a distance (still do).

Regards the prism, that's why I said to try Volumetric World, it doesn't work exactly the same as Volumetric Materials and might have given an opportunity to see what happens with the rays. The idea was that if it had worked, it could be inverted and used that way. But even then there would still have been need for post-work to get the end result. The idea was mainly just to be able to see what the rays are doing.

Post edited by pumeco on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Dave, the stitching is an excellent touch, your dedication to adding detail has paid off.

Yes I agree about the polystyrene snow... Maybe snow is another instance where displacement would help? But if I had the choice, I'd rather have access to SSS. Anyway, along these lines, Dwsel style, I've tried to fake the effect of having material specific blurring by combining several renders with the aid of masks. I'm still not overly impressed with my results, but it is something else to think about.

Now it looks like a blurry white version of the loose insulation in my attic.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    The stitches look loads better now that I've seen a close-up of them, I just thought they looked too perfect from a distance (still do).

Regards the prism, that's why I said to try Volumetric World, it doesn't work exactly the same as Volumetric Materials and might have given an opportunity to see what happens with the rays. The idea was that if it had worked, it could be inverted and used that way. But even then there would still have been need for post-work to get the end result. The idea was mainly just to be able to see what the rays are doing.

volumetric doesn't work out, Light is still not reflected, and there seems to be a bug where with volumetrics turned on infinite lights go through solid objects. its weird, need to keep fidding, I probably changed a setting I shouldn't have, although I did learn my lession about turning ambience off and how it affects shadows.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Horo said:
    @dwsel_ - the lapidary site - isn't that Rosemary Reagan? She's the expert.

Diamond from the Lapidary site, also tried some rendering tips that were on there.. I don't have regular photoshop just elements, and I am not all that familiar with it, also have Gimp, and any skills I had in that have vanished so I'm not sure how to do compsites, so I need ot track down some tutorials for it. but, in the mean time, I got a gem to turn out like this..

Should be possible to composite in PS Elements as well.

Compositing from RGB layers goes like this:
    1. take your rendering that should make red channel, create a layer over it filled with 255,0,0 colour, change that layer blending mode to multiply, merge layers.
    2. do the same for green (0,255,0 colour), and blue (0,0,255)
    3. place on top of your red leyer the green and the blue one, change their blending modes to 'lighten' or 'linear dodge (add)'
    4. merge the image

It should do the job.

If you have problems with this technique just drop me an email or pm.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:
    Rareth said:
    Horo said:
    @dwsel_ - the lapidary site - isn't that Rosemary Reagan? She's the expert.

Diamond from the Lapidary site, also tried some rendering tips that were on there.. I don't have regular photoshop just elements, and I am not all that familiar with it, also have Gimp, and any skills I had in that have vanished so I'm not sure how to do compsites, so I need ot track down some tutorials for it. but, in the mean time, I got a gem to turn out like this..

Should be possible to composite in PS Elements as well.

Compositing from RGB layers goes like this:
    1. take your rendering that should make red channel, create a layer over it filled with 255,0,0 colour, change that layer blending mode to multiply, merge layers.
    2. do the same for green (0,255,0 colour), and blue (0,0,255)
    3. place on top of your red leyer the green and the blue one, change their blending modes to 'lighten' or 'linear dodge (add)'
    4. merge the image

It should do the job.

If you have problems with this technique just drop me an email or pm.

thank you I will have to give that a go.

edited December 2012

Rareth said:
    volumetric doesn't work out, Light is still not reflected, and there seems to be a bug where with volumetrics turned on infinite lights go through solid objects. its weird, need to keep fidding, I probably changed a setting I shouldn't have, although I did learn my lession about turning ambience off and how it affects shadows.

Cheers Rareth, bit of a bummer then.

Bit of a shock to hear about the light traveling through the objects as well, did you have the Shadow Intensity set right?

BTW, does anyone know what the "installed" minimum requirement is for Bryce 7 Pro in size? I might be able to delete a few demo programs I have to make space if it's not too much. I might be able to install the program without the extras assuming they fixed the material crash that used to occur if you failed to install the materials as well.

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

Nevermind, downloading now.

edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    @Dave

The stitches already are geometry (they started life as the intersection of Rashad's NURBS Cubes with a negative cut out to make them sort of staple shaped, they then have a cotton material with twisty bump that I made) and if you look at the output of a sewing machine, you'll see that it delivers completely constant sized stitches that run in a straight line. :)

As for the colour... Well last night, I decided that a knife with a shiny wooden handle that has a reflective metal blade would more likely come in a tan coloured sheath, so I started working on a tan coloured leather version, so the stitches won't be so obvious, having said that, the colour of the stitches at the moment is harking back to the time when all jeans and other strongly stitched fabrics all used the same type of thread, which was only ever available in that golden yellow colour... that's my excuse anyway.

What would really sell the stiches for me would be if there was a slight indication of pulling the material together, little depressions where the stitching passes thru the material it's stiching together. The way it is now it looks like the stiching is there more for show then to actually bind the material together. As it is now it's as if the layers of leather are completely rigid with absolutely no give or flexibility and the stiching is unable to pull the material together any more then the pieces just being laid on top of each other. Below are some example images that show the look I'm trying to describe

LeatherStitching.png
    800 x 388 - 622K
    leather-stitching-detail.jpg
    400 x 254 - 40K
    holster.jpg
    518 x 600 - 232K
    leather-knife-sheath.jpg
    600 x 400 - 122K
  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen:
    That latest snow composite from you indeed looks like a styrofoam a bit - just like somebody noticed. I think the main blame is the bumpmap here - it's very regular and deep - something wider at the major scale and something smaller for the shiny effects (for example fine noise in phase) would look better. I'd be more after 'the leatherette' cracks like in TheSavage64's recent render. Anyway I like the colouration of the snow.

Here's my try at compositing snow from layers:
    - input channels (diffuse, specular, refraction, reflection)
    - input masks (camera incidence, depth, snow mask)
    - finished channels that's been composited
    - the result of composition (left) compared with one pass render that took significant time to render fully (right)

While compositing of refraction I took advantage of angle incidence thinking 'snow should be thinner and more translucent near the edges'. Reflection channel has already angle incidence baked in via metallicity setting (but it's not suitable way of generating it for anything else other than reflection). For other uses angle incidence channel = white diffuse material + point light with no attenuation at the location of camera.

compare.png
    800 x 400 - 529K
    layers.png
    1200 x 800 - 971K
    cam_incidence_depth_objmask.png
    1200 x 400 - 186K
    diffuse_specular_refraction_reflection.png
    800 x 800 - 966K
    edited December 2012

pumeco said:
    BTW, does anyone know what the "installed" minimum requirement is for Bryce 7 Pro in size? I might be able to delete a few demo programs I have to make space if it's not too much. I might be able to install the program without the extras assuming they fixed the material crash that used to occur if you failed to install the materials as well.

You should be fine with 745 MB installed. That's what I have from my PLE installation.
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    pumeco said:

You should be fine with 745 MB installed. That's what I have from my PLE installation.

My Bryce 7 pro installation is actually less than that for some reason, only showing as 623 MB, installed on drive D

edited December 1969

What would really sell the stiches for me would be if there was a slight indication of pulling the material together, little depressions where the stitching passes thru the material it's stiching together. The way it is now it looks like the stiching is there more for show then to actually bind the material together. As it is now it's as if the layers of leather are completely rigid with absolutely no give or flexibility and the stiching is unable to pull the material together any more then the pieces just being laid on top of each other. Below are some example images that show the look I'm trying to describe

Yes, that was my concern with the stitches too.
    I've no idea how I could create that effect though, without having to make 100 negatives to boolean model to the sheath (there are 100 stitches. And as the sheath is already a complex boolean model, it wold mean having to ungroup certain parts and it would all get way too messy and confusing for me.

What I am going to try however is using 'Transfer material of negative boolean' to try and get a logo gold embossed on the belt loop section.

edited December 1969

Yes, that was my concern with the stitches too.
    I've no idea how I could create that effect though, without having to make 100 negatives to boolean model to the sheath (there are 100 stitches. And as the sheath is already a complex boolean model, it wold mean having to ungroup certain parts and it would all get way too messy and confusing for me.

What I am going to try however is using 'Transfer material of negative boolean' to try and get a logo gold embossed on the belt loop section.

Yeah it would be rather tedious and I was thinking along the same lines only worse, I was thinking little negative toruses

edited December 1969

Yes, true LHD.
    I was thinking that a single negative joining up each stitch would do (if it wasn't as tricky as it would be at this point), thereby managing to jeep the amount to 100 as each one would cover two points where the stitch penetrated the leather and also make a slight depressed groove along the stitch line.

Meanwhile, this is what I'm thinking for the embossed logo, these are just a few material tests:

Brand4.jpg
    800 x 500 - 263K
    Brand2.jpg
    800 x 500 - 356K
    Brand3.jpg
    800 x 500 - 375K
    Brand1.jpg
    800 x 500 - 238K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    My Bryce 7 pro installation is actually less than that for some reason, only showing as 623 MB, installed on drive D

Well, you may be right or wrong as I. Checking the 7.1.0.107 installation (we're at 7.1.0.109), I have a 520 MB footprint.
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - embossed logos look cool!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

A somewhat, 'suspended' (non-realistic), submission.

Title: "The Observatory"

Jay

observatory.jpg
    1748 x 793 - 936K
    edited December 1969

Been fooling around a bit with Wings3D and the ALST creating an anaglyph. Lit by IBL, using soft IBL shadows. Rendered in 3/4 hours.

Torii.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 333K
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    A somewhat, 'suspended' (non-realistic), submission.

Title: "The Observatory"

Jay

Hey, looks great!
    edited December 1969

Well no matter on the size, I got it installed so cheers Horo, Pam.

Got greeted with some weirdness though. Stuck two elongated cubes in the scene and rendered them. Then, I tried copying the material from one to another and it turned all the objects black and wouldn't right itself without quitting.

Weird, never had that one before!

edited December 1969

Nice renders BTW!

edited December 1969

Strange things happen at odd moments. May be Bryce, may be Windoze. Rarely happened to me, but it did. Restart Bryce and everything is fine.

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    ...I got it installed...

Suddenly that end-of-the-world-on-the-21st thing doesn't look so implausible.

edited December 1969

@Peter
    It wasn't the 21st, it was the 3rd, and you missed it.
    I'm famous now and have my comment on the map to show off to my Peasant Girls :mrgreen:

You can still get yours on there too, it's still live!

@dwsel_
    I completely forgot to comment on your snow test. Very nice, and I like the one on the bottom left the most because it looks closest to the snow we get here.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:
    pumeco said:
    ...I got it installed...

Suddenly that end-of-the-world-on-the-21st thing doesn't look so implausible.

lol_2.jpg
    500 x 400 - 18K
This discussion has been closed.