Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.3.166! Release Candidate 5 (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

What is the difference between GPU usage and utilization? How do you measure each one?

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

Utilization is when you see you GPUs run at full load and speed in your GPU monitor , and usage is what the program actually used from the full Utilization  when you use multiple GPUs you can see which GPU do what while the process , I use Precision X 16 to monitor my system while rendering , for example when you use architectural sampler and caustic the single  GPU usage will be 100% when you use standard settings without sampler the usage will drop to lower between 80%-90% but the GPU clock is still on full boost

regarding the usage 

you don't measure it you monitor it or record and visually compare , so I monitored the old build then pause and start the beta and record again so I have comparison in the GPU usage , however all my cards was utilized at 100% at full clock of 1377Mhz while doing it and each GPU have own color so you know what is going on while monitoring 

when you open Precision X 16 you have menus in the lower part , like fans, profiles , real-time hardware monitoring so you can see what is going on in real time and record it to compare

barbult said:

What is the difference between GPU usage and utilization? How do you measure each one?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Cath, how did you know your computer updated to the Anniversary Edition?  Is there a way to check to see since all this updating goes on in the background? frown

edited August 2016

Yeah you can see only the build number not Anniversary Edition name my new OS build # 14393.10 for Win10 Pro, I was thinking it is just simple update , not system upgrade 

I did not know until the system reboot , you get exactly the same stuff on screen like you reinstall your system plus they added more functions to the tab like Windows Ink Workspace plus agenda to calendar , dark themes and other stuff like pairing your license to your account so when you change your mother board or HD you not need to buy new license , but not for ever , there is limitation , with Win10Pro I installed twice new Mother board and not need new activation but they give now the option for the other customers as well  , it reset also the history from preview updates as it is fresh new system build , I checked drivers proportions they was migrated and under C  driver I have new  19GB Windows.Old  folder from yesterday  as you can uninstall the new system upgrades  and still return back  for some time I guess

check your Windows Update and security setting  and see if new updates are ready it will show build number next to Upgrade ready files

I forgot that Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, and Education edition customers can choose to defer Windows updates so no more surprises for me from now on 

RAMWolff said:

Cath, how did you know your computer updated to the Anniversary Edition?  Is there a way to check to see since all this updating goes on in the background? frown

Post edited by MEC4D on

I guess you have , the new Beta run iray 2016.1.2  not 2016.2 with Pascal support  

Magic Man said:

So got to wait until Iray 2016.2 implemented for Pascal support?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

...what if you don't use Smart Content, does the Content Database still need to be backed up?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    kyoto kid said:

...what if you don't use Smart Content, does the Content Database still need to be backed up?

From years of backup/recovery operations -- when in doubt, back it up.

Honestly, at this point, probably not. This may change in the future. And realistlicly, the backup takes just miutes; the way Rob & crew have designed this you just need to export user data from the content db menu and then copy or back up the resulting userdata_x.dsx files

MEC4D said:

Yeah you can see only the build number not Anniversary Edition name my new OS build # 14393.10 for Win10 Pro, I was thinking it is just simple update , not system upgrade 

I did not know until the system reboot , you get exactly the same stuff on screen like you reinstall your system plus they added more functions to the tab like Windows Ink Workspace plus agenda to calendar , dark themes and other stuff like pairing your license to your account so when you change your mother board or HD you not need to buy new license , but not for ever , there is limitation , with Win10Pro I installed twice new Mother board and not need new activation but they give now the option for the other customers as well  , it reset also the history from preview updates as it is fresh new system build , I checked drivers proportions they was migrated and under C  driver I have new  19GB Windows.Old  folder from yesterday  as you can uninstall the new system upgrades  and still return back  for some time I guess

check your Windows Update and security setting  and see if new updates are ready it will show build number next to Upgrade ready files

I forgot that Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, and Education edition customers can choose to defer Windows updates so no more surprises for me from now on 

RAMWolff said:

SaveSo all the stuff on my desktop gets shoved into a "Windows.old" folder?  What about programs?  I don't mind as long as I know ahead of time so I can put it all into a folder MYSELF and save it over to my D drive and just drag it all back out.  My only niggle with upgrades like this is EVERYTHING is now set to Read Only and I don't know how to do a quicky system wide change to put it back to the ability to Read and Write to files and folders. 

Thanks hon!

Rich

edited August 2016

You don't have to do it , it keep all your files and apps intact it messed up my drivers only  and have to reinstall DS (not content library ) but that is on my side , others does not experienced any issues or not know they had one 

if you not using windows 10 PRO it will do automatic anyway so make sure it do in the right moment and not while you working on something important , everything working fine on my side again no issues 

and if I had 1 or 2 cards I would not even know it screw something , so I don;t want to scare you .. go ahead you will survive it .. without any lost as I did not loosed anything but little time

now actually I am glad I installed Beta lol .. so , negative turned into positive 

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

RAMWolff said:

SaveSo all the stuff on my desktop gets shoved into a "Windows.old" folder?  What about programs?  I don't mind as long as I know ahead of time so I can put it all into a folder MYSELF and save it over to my D drive and just drag it all back out.  My only niggle with upgrades like this is EVERYTHING is now set to Read Only and I don't know how to do a quicky system wide change to put it back to the ability to Read and Write to files and folders. 

Thanks hon!

Rich

Post edited by MEC4D on
    namffuak said:
    kyoto kid said:

Honestly, at this point, probably not. This may change in the future. And realistlicly, the backup takes just miutes; the way Rob & crew have designed this you just need to export user data from the content db menu and then copy or back up the resulting userdata_x.dsx files

...so this is just the database info file, not the entire library/runtime (don't have a second big HDD for that)?

Also my Library and Runtimes are on a different HDD then the Daz programme.  Will that mess anything up or If I alreayd have all folders mapped, will I be OK?

Thinking of installing this beta to check out 4.9 without the risk of overwriting my install of 4.8.

MEC4D said:

You don't have to do it , it keep all your files and apps intact it messed up my drivers only  and have to reinstall DS (not content library ) but that is on my side , others does not experienced any issues or not know they had one 

if you not using windows 10 PRO it will do automatic anyway so make sure it do in the right moment and not while you working on something important , everything working fine on my side again no issues 

and if I had 1 or 2 cards I would not even know it screw something , so I don;t want to scare you .. go ahead you will survive it .. without any lost as I did not loosed anything but little time

now actually I am glad I installed Beta lol .. so , negative turned into positive 

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

RAMWolff said:

Thanks hon!

Rich

SaveRight now I just have the Home Edition of Windows so I'm sure it will come like it or not but just wanted to be prepared.  Thanks hon! 

edited August 2016

Beta will not overwrite anything , later you map your old Libraries and ready to rock .. I do it alk the time, my library-runtime is on external drive for years , I never use smart content 

kyoto kid said:
    namffuak said:
    kyoto kid said:

...so this is just the database info file, not the entire library/runtime (don't have a second big HDD for that)?

Also my Library and Runtimes are on a different HDD then the Daz programme.  Will that mess anything up or If I alreayd have all folders mapped, will I be OK?

Thinking of installing this beta to check out 4.9 without the risk of overwriting my install of 4.8.

Post edited by MEC4D on

...that's why I am thinking about it.  Need to see just how much messing around I need to do with my character skin materials as I heard there are some differences between the 4.8 and 4.9 versions as well as compare rendering speeds.

Also not going to login.  Don't use Connect, never want to use it as I also work in Carrara and don't want my concent flagged for use with just Daz alone.

the changes are minimal for the skin not big deal plus 4.8 have too much bugs to deal with  ..no thanks 

go try and have fun .. it is worthy 

kyoto kid said:

...that's why I am thinking about it.  Need to see just how much messing around I need to do with my character skin materials as I heard there are some differences between the 4.8 and 4.9 versions as well as compare rendering speeds.

Also not going to login.  Don't use Connect, never want to use it as I also work in Carrara and don't want my concent flagged for use with just Daz alone.

• mikmodmikmod Posts: 65
    edited August 2016

I wonder, if next iteration of iray in Daz Studio has such glare effect - that would be really nice (though Allegorithmic implemented probably newer version, from 03.04.2016)

glare.jpg
    1920 x 1029 - 450K
    Post edited by mikmod on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    MEC4D said:

what card you using ? or CPU ?

nicstt said:

I'm seeing faster, much faser, to the same set of criteria; say samples.

But I'm having to up the number of samples and quality to get the same finished look of the render; beta is far more grainy at the same stage. I had to up convergence from 85 to 92 to get similar. It was a simple scene.

just using one 980ti; i7 4770k

edited August 2016
    MEC4D said:

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

RAMWolff said:

Thanks hon!

Rich

Unless you actually stop the process in 10 home version; presuming you still can.

Post edited by nicstt on

it is slightly faster with 1 x 980ti or Titan X but not major difference I need to make monitoring to see it in action , I did not noticed different speed in final rendering using 1ghz or 4ghz ... viewport and other tasks yes but not final rendering however it use 50% of my CPU I guess to write down the image data while rendering . With 1 card iray will use just 1-2 max core from your CPU anyway

nicstt said:
    MEC4D said:

what card you using ? or CPU ?

nicstt said:

I'm seeing faster, much faser, to the same set of criteria; say samples.

But I'm having to up the number of samples and quality to get the same finished look of the render; beta is far more grainy at the same stage. I had to up convergence from 85 to 92 to get similar. It was a simple scene.

just using one 980ti; i7 4770k

It have already since the beginning  , it is under Rendering Setting - Filters /Bloom filter  , it is post processing filter  so it may slow down your rendering a little 

the effect will different based on your light and material settings and bloom filter settings and surface , the best effect you get with sky-sun or good HDRI maps with sun , so nothing that will appear in your render just because you want it to be there , you need to simulate the light situation so it hit the PBR camera on the right angle and the bloom filter settings will do the rest 

maxikg said:

I wonder, if next iteration of iray in Daz Studio has such glare effect - that would be really nice (though Allegorithmic implemented probably newer version, from 03.04.2016)

edited August 2016
    MEC4D said:

It have already since the beginning  , it is under Rendering Setting - Filters /Bloom filter  , it is post processing filter  so it may slow down your rendering a little 

the effect will different based on your light and material settings and bloom filter settings and surface , the best effect you get with sky-sun or good HDRI maps with sun , so nothing that will appear in your render just because you want it to be there , you need to simulate the light situation so it hit the PBR camera on the right angle and the bloom filter settings will do the rest 

maxikg said:

Nope, it's not my ignorance - I know there's no such glare effect in Daz's Iray. It's just normal bloom so far. I'd like those line-like glare effect to be enabled (if it's possible).

Post edited by mikmod on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited August 2016
    maxikg said:
    MEC4D said:

maxikg said:

Nope, it's not my ignorance - I know there's no such glare effect in Daz's Iray. It's just normal bloom so far. I'd like those line-like glare effect to be enabled (if it's possible).

Oh, you mean those horizontal purple lines.

Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:
    maxikg said:
    MEC4D said:

maxikg said:

Oh, you mean hose horizontal purple lines.

Yup, if they're subtle, they make a fine addition when sun shines on metal surfaces ;)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    kyoto kid said:
    namffuak said:
    kyoto kid said:

Yes - just the userdata_x.dsx file. My runtime in that directory is over 460 GB; no pint in backing it upI can always re-install.

And like Mec4D said - the beta has its own directory path mapping, so you'll want to set it to match your release version to use the same content.

edited August 2016

bloom or glow are the same stuff in iray that are post processing filter  , and blue lines like that are the result of lens glare / flaring what is not main feature in iray and I am sure substance painter added the camera feature on top , a glare light shader could make it working .

however there is a product coming that will make it happen, check here , it looks pretty good

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/104141/coming-soon-epic-props-dynamic-lens-flare-starburst-for-iray

maxikg said:
    MEC4D said:

maxikg said:

Post edited by MEC4D on
    MEC4D said:

bloom or glow are the same stuff in iray that are post processing filter  , and blue lines like that are the result of lens glare / flaring what is not main feature in iray and I am sure substance painter added the camera feature on top , a glare light shader could make it working .

however there is a product coming that will make it happen, check here , it looks pretty good

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/104141/coming-soon-epic-props-dynamic-lens-flare-starburst-for-iray

maxikg said:
    MEC4D said:

maxikg said:

Thanks :) Even though they are bitmaps, they look cool. Though I'd also like to see true light-getting-thru-lenses simulation in Iray some day ;)

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,180

Magic Man said:

The Iray 2016.2 SDK is said to provide Pascal generation GPU support. The Iray SDK that we currently have, and have integrated into Daz Studio 4.9.3.x, is 2016.1.2.

Daz Studio > v4.x > Change Log > Public Beta 3

• Update to NVIDIA Iray 2016.1.2

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.9.3.49

Making the move from Iray 2015 to Iray 2016 is the first (required) step toward being able to provide access to its new features. This does not mean that all of the new 2016 features have been added to Daz Studio, rather that the work required to utilize Iray 2016 in the same fashion that Iray 2015 has been utilized prior to this point is completed and ready for testing. Builds that integrate Iray 2016 have been going to the Private Builds channel for a time and we are now at a point that testing by a wider base is warranted. The good news is that so far testing has gone pretty well. There have been a few changes in Iray 2016 that required some adjustments to be made in Daz Studio, but nothing of particular concern so far.

The Iray 2016.2 SDK is expected to make it to developers in the latter part of September, according to public statements made by NVIDIA representatives that are close to its development (see: NVIDIA Advanced Rendering Forum > Iray > Iray Rendering Technology - Open Forum > Will the Geforce GTX 1080 be supported... : #11 and #15). We are as interested as anyone to see Iray support the Pascal generation GPUs.

-Rob

I am begging for spherical cameras ! ;) pretty please ! it would be a game changer ..

rbtwhiz said:

Magic Man said:

The Iray 2016.2 SDK is said to provide Pascal generation GPU support. The Iray SDK that we currently have, and have integrated into Daz Studio 4.9.3.x, is 2016.1.2.

Daz Studio > v4.x > Change Log > Public Beta 3

• Update to NVIDIA Iray 2016.1.2

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.9.3.49

Making the move from Iray 2015 to Iray 2016 is the first (required) step toward being able to provide access to its new features. This does not mean that all of the new 2016 features have been added to Daz Studio, rather that the work required to utilize Iray 2016 in the same fashion that Iray 2015 has been utilized prior to this point is completed and ready for testing. Builds that integrate Iray 2016 have been going to the Private Builds channel for a time and we are now at a point that testing by a wider base is warranted. The good news is that so far testing has gone pretty well. There have been a few changes in Iray 2016 that required some adjustments to be made in Daz Studio, but nothing of particular concern so far.

The Iray 2016.2 SDK is expected to make it to developers in the latter part of September, according to public statements made by NVIDIA representatives that are close to its development (see: NVIDIA Advanced Rendering Forum > Iray > Iray Rendering Technology - Open Forum > Will the Geforce GTX 1080 be supported... : #11 and #15). We are as interested as anyone to see Iray support the Pascal generation GPUs.

-Rob

...OK downloaded and installed. 

So far...

It took a while to initially start up but after it red all the folders, it opens way quicker than 4.8. All my library/runtime folders were seen at startup so that was a relief. Also my desktop setup from 4.8 was pretty much preserved excpt for the Scene tab (that was a quick fix though). Scenes appear to load a lot faster, even tested with my railway station scene which is the "heaviest" one I have. I also noticed camera moves and switching between cameras in large scenes tends to be much smoother. Also didn't get anywhere near the instances of the programme "'not responding" as I do with 4.8 when loading scenes or dealing with saving them.

The big test for me was rendering. As I don't have a beefy GPU I'm still stuck with CPU rendering.  In The first test (a night scene with emissive lights) I didn't seem to notice any improvement in render speed as at 2 hrs 15 min the render process was only 44% complete. I next decided to try it on the railway station scene which is a daylight setting. Calculating the lighting, shadows, and surfaces still took long but lasted only 20 min instead of 40. Once the scene appeared in the render window, total render time was 3 hrs 51 min. I don't remember the time it took in 4.8 as that was a while ago and that information most likely has been flushed form the logfile by now.

I'll need to run comparison render jobs (with "lighter" scenes) between 4.8 and the beta over the weekend  to really see if there is any noticeable improvement.

Minor concerns: 

I wish I could set it to "work offline" permanently (probably since it is a beta that isn't a working option)

Seems my camera transition settings for a few existing scenes were not preserved nor were the sliders for the primary rendering camera locked as they were in 4.8 and earlier versions (minor annoyance).

Still get "whiteouts" of my displays (which is most likely due my old GPU having only 1 GB of memory and having to deal with two outputs) occasionally, when loading a big scene or changing settings, but not as often.

kyoto kid said:

...OK downloaded and installed. 

So far...

It took a while to initially start up but after it red all the folders, it opens way quicker than 4.8. All my library/runtime folders were seen at startup so that was a relief. Also my desktop setup from 4.8 was pretty much preserved excpt for the Scene tab (that was a quick fix though). Scenes appear to load a lot faster, even tested with my railway station scene which is the "heaviest" one I have. I also noticed camera moves and switching between cameras in large scenes tends to be much smoother. Also didn't get anywhere near the instances of the programme "'not responding" as I do with 4.8 when loading scenes or dealing with saving them.

The big test for me was rendering. As I don't have a beefy GPU I'm still stuck with CPU rendering.  In The first test (a night scene with emissive lights) I didn't seem to notice any improvement in render speed as at 2 hrs 15 min the render process was only 44% complete. I next decided to try it on the railway station scene which is a daylight setting. Calculating the lighting, shadows, and surfaces still took long but lasted only 20 min instead of 40. Once the scene appeared in the render window, total render time was 3 hrs 51 min. I don't remember the time it took in 4.8 as that was a while ago and that information most likely has been flushed form the logfile by now.

I'll need to run comparison render jobs (with "lighter" scenes) between 4.8 and the beta over the weekend  to really see if there is any noticeable improvement.

Minor concerns: 

I wish I could set it to "work offline" permanently (probably since it is a beta that isn't a working option)

Seems my camera transition settings for a few existing scenes were not preserved nor were the sliders for the primary rendering camera locked as they were in 4.8 and earlier versions (minor annoyance).

Still get "whiteouts" of my displays (which is most likely due my old GPU having only 1 GB of memory and having to deal with two outputs) occasionally, when loading a big scene or changing settings, but not as often.

You can't set it to run offline permenently?

I uninstalled the SQL components so hadn't noticed.

I didn't notice any difference in speed over 4.9.2; at least to the same look; it gets to the same samples faster, but I need more samples to get the same look. Timewise, it's about the same.

• kyoto kid said:

Not sure what you mean. Studio runs offline by default, but there is, by default, a login popup at start up. However, that can be turned off, either by checking "don't show this again" in the popup or setting Edit/Preferences/Startup (uncheck Show Login Page. You can also turn off "Show Home Page" here, which I have also done).

With that login popup gone there is no intrusion from Connect login at all—you have to go to the Connect menu and choose login.

I see in the change logs there was supposedly, in a recent unreleased beta, an option in Preferences: 'Added an “Automatically Login With Remembered Credentials” option to Preferences', but I can't find it, so perhaps they took it out again. Anyway, I'm certainly not logged in automatically and I don't get any prompts for logging in, so it's entirely unobtrusive.