Carrara Challenge #24: “Under the Sea” or "Out of the Box" - WIP Thread

stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
edited April 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara Challenge #24: “Under the Sea” & "Out of the Box"

Challenge #24 is going to be a 2/4 one. You can pick whichever theme you like and as usual participants may submit up to two renders; however your second render should not be under the same theme as your first render.

Your objective(s) should you choose to accept:

"Under the Sea" -  Break out your finest box of blue-green lights! This month we're going down! Down below the waves. To make this theme a little more flexible, anything that gets your camera wet is fair game. So renders inside a bath tub or glass of water are also welcome!

"Out of the Box" - The theme with no limits besides the imagination! Oh, except this one thing... All content used must have come with your version of Carrara (Yes, all those beauties under your Objects tab). Of course since modeling come out of the box feel free to model your own objects but you should try to keep the majority of the scene objects to those that came with Carrara. The main goal of this theme is to see what can be done with native content so re-texture and edit those models to your hearts desire!

Content that can be used for this theme:
1. Any old native objects that are listed in the PDF found under the top "Help" menu >  "Object Catalog".
Thanks to diomede for finding this and saving me a lot of times trying to put a list together!

2. For the list of new native content that can be used, click here.

3. Anything you create using native Carrara tools (modeled items, trees, skys, clouds etc.)

4. There are no restrictions on what can be used behind the scene to assist your entry as long as it's not visable in the final image.
See diomedes tutorial for example.

5. Any and all plugins CAN be used for producing textures in your image.

Basic rules will be:

1. Each participant may submit up to 2 images into the Challenge.

2. Images must be new (previously unpublished).

3. Images must be primarily set up in Carrara.

4. Images must be rendered in Carrara or in an external renderer for which there is a Carrara plug-in (e.g. LuxRenderer, Octane).

5. At least one WIP (work in progress) image must be posted to the WIP thread (this can be as simple as the scene setup, a pre/post post-work comparison or just a final image with a brief description of  the process you used or as complex as modeling rooms shots, shader setups or partial scene setups or test renders).

6.  At least one object in the scene has to be modeled in Carrara (Under the Sea theme).

6. At least one of the native objects must have been modified by the participant (Out of the Box theme).

Sponsor:
Once again, Daz will generously sponsor the monthly challenge with the following prizes:

1st Place: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
2nd Place: $ 50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
3rd Place: $ 25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Honorable Mention (4th place): $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

PLUS

As an added incentive for this month's challenge, in addition to Daz 3D's generous prizes, Dartanbeck will donate an item from his store to each of the place winners, including Honorable Mention.

*** Each place winner may choose one item of their choice from Store du Dartanbeck

Woodlands Kit        Underwater Realms         Badlands Kit

Animation Kit             Animation Kit       Starry Sky for Carrara
for Mil Dragon 2       Swordworks for M4

*** if a winner already owns all of them or simply doesn't want one, they MAY gift their reward to anyone with a Daz 3D account wink

Thank you Dartanbeck!!!

Dates to Remember:

WIP Thread Opens: Wednesday, April 6, 2016
Entry Thread Opens: Friday, April 29, 2016
Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Monday May 9, 2016 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
Voting Ends: Thursday, May 12, 2016 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

An announcement will be made shortly in forum for The Commons.   Feel free to provide any updates or share there as well!

Edit: Clarified the content rules for the "Out of the Box" theme.

NativeCarraraContent.jpg
732 x 3555 - 1M
Post edited by stringtheory9 on

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Awesome Theme.

Now to remember what came in Carrra or do I do a clean install again.

Where is that Howie Scene?

The creative juices are starting to flow.

• Awesome Theme.

Now to remember what came in Carrra or do I do a clean install again.

Where is that Howie Scene?

The creative juices are starting to flow.

Good point! I had planned on adding a link to the latest version that lists the content. I'll add it to the announcement now. Thanks! 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited April 2016

Fun idea.  I hope you don't mind if I offer a quick beginner's guide to editing objects in the object browser.  People who have started in Carrara in the last few years may not have had experience with converting some of the older models, even if they are more experienced than I am with 3D in general or Carrara in particular. 

THIS TUTORIAL IS JUST FOR THE OLDER OBJECTS - YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE THEM

Here are some things to keep in mind.

1) some of the older models are not vertex models, but they can be converted to vertex models relatively easily.

2) a lot of improvement will come from changing the shaders, not necessarily just modeling.

3) if converted to vertex models, new shading domains and uvmaps can be created for easier shader work.

4) most (if not all) models can be rigged with bones for posing even if not converted to vertex models.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited April 2016

I am going to start with the lizard man, the coronet, and the lighthouse.

01 music coronet.JPG
    1867 x 1004 - 209K
    02 mesh lizard facets.JPG
    1895 x 1013 - 270K
    03 building lighthouse.JPG
    1856 x 1017 - 180K
    edited April 2016

If you load the lizardman from the "mesh models" folder in the object browser, you will see that it is called "facets." 

If you try to enter the modeling room, Carrara will tell you that it isn't a type of model that can be edited, but will offer to let you convert it.

Convert it to a vertex model.  You will see that it is made up of triangles by default.

04 lizard no modeling.JPG
    1895 x 988 - 78K
    05 convert to vertex model.JPG
    1409 x 988 - 77K
    06 vertex model.JPG
    1753 x 1031 - 190K
    edited April 2016

I want the lizardman to be able to play the coronet.  So, I will need a mouth, and I will need to add bones for posing.  To start, I will use the vertex modeling tools to extrude a jaw for the mouth.

Then I created shader domains for the underbelly, mouth, and skin.  I entered the testure room and put in some placeholders.

07 start mouth.JPG
    1577 x 920 - 146K
    08 mouth.JPG
    1780 x 1014 - 178K
    09 shader room.JPG
    1830 x 969 - 214K
    edited April 2016

Next is to add the skeleton bones (rig the model).  I use the directional cameras (front, left, top).  You can highlight the model mesh and press zero (0) to get the directional camera focused on the mesh.  Remember to use the scale tool to adust the size of the joints to match your model (for example, you will want smaller joints for fingers than knees).

I start at the hip and work up the spine.  I then add just one side (left or right) for arms and legs.  Once adjusted (align using front, left, and top), use EDIT : Duplicate with symmetry  to create the matching bones for the other limbs.  Optional, but I like to rename the bones in the general tab properties tray.

Once the skeleton is complete, I like to group the skeleton and the mesh.  Make at least one placeholder morph for your mesh.  I save this unattached group to my objects browser.  That way it is easy to edit the mesh later.

Once you have everything the way you want, load the group, and select the hip (whole skeleton) and the mesh, and use the animation menu to attach the mesh to the skeleton.  Rename the group as saved, and then save this second copy to your object browser. Then you can go through and edit the bone influences, etc.  Sav additional copies once you get the bone influences the way you want.

10 save lizard boned group to browser.JPG
    1836 x 960 - 209K
    edited April 2016

I then load the rigged lizardman, pose it like it is playing music, and add the coronet.  Adjust hands, fingers, etc.  I then loaded the lighthouse and changed the shader for the water and the land.  Here is a quick test render.

13 render 2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 25K
    edited April 2016

Note - you able to "borrow" an existing skeleton.  For example, for a humanoid figure, you are able to load Michael 4 or Victoria 4, try to line up your model, and then use then attach the object to M4/V4 hip in the animation tab.  Then all you have to do is turn off visibility for M4 or V4.  Similarly, you can attach a 4 legged animal to the Daz millenium dog or millenium cat.

Of course, people can use genesis, etc., but might be useful for the animals and nonhuman humanoids in the object browser.

Now, that is "able to," whether you are allowed to or not is not up to me.

zz01 man 2.JPG
    1823 x 991 - 226K
    zz02 attach to michael.JPG
    1432 x 918 - 130K
    zz03b turn off michael visibility.jpg
    1475 x 979 - 223K
    zz04 posed.JPG
    945 x 963 - 110K

Either / Or  not BOTH  

"Challenge #24 is going to be a 2/4 one. You can submit an entry under either theme and as usual participants may submit up to two renders however your second render should not be under the same theme as your first render."

Regarding the native content of older models, on my Windows system, there is a file called ObjectCatalog.pdf in the Daz3D \ Carrara8.5 \ Carrara Help \ ObjectCatalog  directory.  It has a list of the models in the object browser that came with Carrara.

• diomede said:

Either / Or  not BOTH  

"Challenge #24 is going to be a 2/4 one. You can submit an entry under either theme and as usual participants may submit up to two renders however your second render should not be under the same theme as your first render."

Thanks for pointing this out. I've edited to remove any ambiguity.

• Thanks to diomede for putting such a great tutorial together!

• diomede said:

Note - you able to "borrow" an existing skeleton.  For example, for a humanoid figure, you are able to load Michael 4 or Victoria 4, try to line up your model, and then use then attach the object to M4/V4 hip in the animation tab.  Then all you have to do is turn off visibility for M4 or V4.  Similarly, you can attach a 4 legged animal to the Daz millenium dog or millenium cat.

Of course, people can use genesis, etc., but might be useful for the animals and nonhuman humanoids in the object browser.

Now, that is "able to," whether you are allowed to or not is not up to me.

All good yes

@stringtheory9 - that object catalog is not 100% complete because it does not include things like the default trees and leaves that work with Carrara's tree modeler.  Nor does it have the sample hair styles or default hair caps for the hair modeler.  Nor does it have the default terrains, clouds, skies, and scenes.  There are also default particles and formula models.  The object catalog is just for those older models in the object browser.

• diomede said:

@stringtheory9 - that object catalog is not 100% complete because it does not include things like the default trees and leaves that work with Carrara's tree modeler.  Nor does it have the sample hair styles or default hair caps for the hair modeler.  Nor does it have the default terrains, clouds, skies, and scenes.  There are also default particles and formula models.  The object catalog is just for those older models in the object browser.

I'm taking screen captures of those items and will post them as attachements but having the catalog of old models saves a lot of screen capturing! I'm away from home this week with spotty access to wi-fi so every little bit helps.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Thanks to diomede for putting such a great tutorial together!

plus three

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

looking forward to having a serious play with @Dartanbeck's http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-environkit-underwater-realms  for this

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

looking forward to having a serious play with @Dartanbeck's http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-environkit-underwater-realms  for this

Beware the bubbles!!! cheeky

Say, in the links of the original post, talking about "Native Content", the link takes us to the store page that shows all of the Daz 3D content that comes with Carrara 8.5 (Pro). Does that mean that we can use V5, M5 and the goodies that came with them? Just curious. If not I'd pull that link.

They don't show up under the Objects tab, so that's why I was wondering.

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited April 2016
    head wax said:

looking forward to having a serious play with @Dartanbeck's http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-environkit-underwater-realms  for this

Beware the bubbles!!! cheeky

Say, in the links of the original post, talking about "Native Content", the link takes us to the store page that shows all of the Daz 3D content that comes with Carrara 8.5 (Pro). Does that mean that we can use V5, M5 and the goodies that came with them? Just curious. If not I'd pull that link.

They don't show up under the Objects tab, so that's why I was wondering.

I've removed the product links. I think the fun of this theme is in using and updating the old models and also creating with the native Carrara tool set.

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited April 2016
    Double post. Deleted
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

Good choices for this challenge..

I'll try and get something going if time permits me... We are vacating the house on the 12th, so PCs will be unplugged and packed up on the 10th or 11th and won't be set up till after the 14th sometime when we move into our new home... which I hope phone lines and stuff will be reconnected..

but I'll be trying to get something together before shutdown time yes

edited April 2016

I've removed the product links. I think the fun of this theme is in using and updating the old models and also creating with the native Carrara tool set.

I agree... thanks for fixing that. It just made it confusing (to me)! LOL

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Stezza said:

I'll try and get something going if time permits me... We are vacating the house on the 12th, so PCs will be unplugged and packed up on the 10th or 11th and won't be set up till after the 14th sometime when we move into our new home... which I hope phone lines and stuff will be reconnected..

Best of luck with the move! Hopefully it's a smooth move and the timing works out for you to submit an entry or two!

Stezza said:

Best of luck with the move! Hopefully it's a smooth move and the timing works out for you to submit an entry or two!

Luck to you from here as well! ;)

• hi stringtheory9, congrats on a brilliant image for the last one too,

there's also some stuff in this thread about carrara objects if that helps, also some simple ideas on how to rig them -

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/363925/#Comment_363925

• hi stringtheory9, congrats on a brilliant image for the last one too,

there's also some stuff in this thread about carrara objects if that helps, also some simple ideas on how to rig them -

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/363925/#Comment_363925

Thanks waxfin. Also, great link. Thanks for adding it!

• no problem ;)

edited April 2016

Theme #1 Under the Sea

Thought people might be interested in a Daz store product that could help with this theme.

Dartanbeck's underwater realms   http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-environkit-underwater-realms

Theme #2 Out of the Box

Thouht people might be interested to know that PhilW actually demonstrates taking a house object from the old object browser and adjusting the shaders to make it look much more realistic.  He also rehabs a car model.

PhilW Infinite Skills tutorials on realism   http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-realism-rendering-training-video

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Carrara Challenge #24: “Under the Sea” & "Out of the Box"

Challenge #24 is going to be a 2/4 one. You can pick whichever theme you like and as usual participants may submit up to two renders; however your second render should not be under the same theme as your first render.

Great ideas for the challenge. Ideas are churning in my tiny brain for both. I understand the theme must differ but before I start I've a few questions.
    1)  What do you mean by "a 2/4 one"?
    2)  Can I use "out of the box" content for an underwater theme? I imagine so... just want to make sure.

Please pardon my questions but I'm a "babe in the woods" in contests... should have been here long ago when they started.