Carrara Challenge #24: “Under the Sea” or "Out of the Box" - WIP Thread

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

Diomede, if you're having problems mapping a skin shader, why not try procedural?

I made procedural skin shaders. The only reason they are for the Gen 3 and Gen 4 figures is the UV mapping for shading domains and the hair I used for the eyelashes and eyebrows. The base skin shader can be used on anything. If it is to pale, just darken the base color. If the bump is to fine, scale up the cellular in the bump channel.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/77436/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-V4-Procedural-Skin-Shader-and-hair

http://www.sharecg.com/v/82693/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-A3-V3-Procedural-Skin-Shaders

The first image is the same skin with UVs for the Genesis 2 Olympia figure that I was working on before I lost access to a computer that could handle C8.5

The second image is the V4 and Cheesecake I did for one of the Render Challenges.

The third image is an A3.

All of the shaders are procedural and only use two black and white image maps to soften the transitions between the nipple and torso shading domain and lip and face shading domain. Both were painted using the 3D paint tool and refined a bit in Photoshop. Take a look at how they're built if you haven't looked them yet. They may be useful.

All of the renders are female, but I've been adjusting the shaders here and there when I get the chance for M4. No render yet. I've been up to my neck in non-Carrara work.

Olympia Gen2raw.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    Sexy September challenge03.jpg
    3000 x 1999 - 1M
    A3 Proc-bunny promo.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 926K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

Thanks for the suggestions and the file links, EP. 

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2016

Wow this thread is really moving!  

It was a busy week at work with lots of late nights so I haven't had much Carrara time lately.  I did start working a little bit on the shaders for my hotwheels car though.  

I am using the 70's Sports Car from the Mesh Objects.  It starts out as a bunch of grouped "facet" objects, so I exported it as an OBJ and then reimported it to get it as one vertex object.  Then in the vertex modeller I used weld to try and clean up the disaster of a mesh, added a few lines and some creased edges, created all new material zones, created UV maps for the main parts and then applied a single level of smoothing.  Still some work to do - I missed the front grill when making my material zones and some parts are a little soft where there should be nice creases; the whole thing is triangles so it's hard to find good loops for adding or creasing edges to get the right mix of smooth and sharp surfaces.

I'm using Ron's Traditional Flames brushes for the paintwork (they are part of the Ron's Flames set http://www.daz3d.com/rons-flames).

Quick test render of what I have so far below.  Original mesh object on the right, my modified version on the left:

Modified Car (Left) and Original Mesh (Right)

06MeshObject70ssprts.JPG
    1879 x 920 - 191K
    07 NewPaintJob.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 46K
    08-NewUVs.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 310K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

It is like a woman who just come out the bed and one hour later when she have got her make up .

Nice work !

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Great work, definitely got that "Hot Wheels" look!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

using the koi pond for under the sea is okay?

• MistyMist said:

using the koi pond for under the sea is okay?

Hi MistyMist, yes, I think that sounds like a great idea! smiley

• There are some great WIP's going on so far! 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,236

Yeah, Mark... that's looking pretty cool!

Anyone for some inspiration from my favorite source?

At 1:55 they talk about water. Shortly after that (2:05) Joel Aron (CG Supervisor - Lighting and FX) talks about how he endeavors to make it easier on the animators/renderers

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Dart, very nice source... I'm inspirered.

edited April 2016

Today I'm only 1 step further and another away. I'm much more satisfied with the fogs look to give a sense of distance but will still fiddle with it more perhaps. The shark re-creates a memory of a dive I was on... it is swimming away off into the deep ocean.  Now off to start cluttering up the forground with some fish, corals, tube sponges etc.

HillyMesa_UnderWater_08b2.png
    1280 x 960 - 854K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited April 2016

RE: underwater lighting - here are some video Bryce tutorials for underwater scenes.  I bet many of the same concepts apply in Carrara.

Bryce tutorials by David Brinnen

https://youtu.be/WRYj282QUqA

https://youtu.be/L6rJoJ_-aJc

https://youtu.be/35pbYvB_IXE

https://youtu.be/Js9sZZEpZrM

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  -

And here is a Bryce underwater tutorial from the old artzone

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/bryce/bryce-lighting03

Lighting an underwater scene

Author: liquefusion

Tools Needed

• Bryce 5

Introduction

The aim of this tutorial is to show how to use Bryce to create a realistic underwater scene. No postwork was used, just Bryce's powerful lighting.

Step 1 - Set the scene and position the camera

It is easiest to create your basic scene without the water, this allows you to position everything and do test renders in the shortest amount of time. Remember that the underside of the water will reflect whatever is below it so if you are creating a deep ocean picture you can delete the ground plane creating a feeling of infinite depth.

In this example I wanted to show a dolphin swimming in mid ocean. Therefore I imported my model, positioned the camera using the trackball options and then deleted the ground plane.

Step 2 - Add water

The next step is to add the water, to do this select the Infinite Water Plane. Adjust the position of the plane to create the desired effect. The water material used can affect the look and feel of scene, so experiment to find a suitable one, in this example I have used 'Deep Blue'.

Even in the clearest water visibility is limited to 30 meters or so, to reproduce that effect you can use Bryce's Sky and Fog controls.

Set the fog and haze colours to whatever colour required, in this case I have used a mid tone blue.

Fog acts like a thin layer of cloud and can be used to provide more depth, for this scene however haze is more important so fog was set to minimal values (3 – 0). Haze is what you see when a plane stretches to the horizon. With haze set to zero, the horizon will have a hard edge to it, so I set its value to near maximum (93).

Step 3 - Caustic lighting

As sunlight enters the water, the uneven surface means that whatever is below is unevenly lit, to reproduce this effect, 'caustic' lighting is used. Create a spotlight (I tend to use the square spotlight as I find it easier to manipulate as I require) and in the Light Lab, set it to Infinite Light.

Select the Light Gel option, from the Pictures dialog select Load in the Bryce directory you can find a number of light gels, select Watery Reflection.tiff.

Position the light so that it mimics the angle of the sun, you may need to use more than one light (I used 3), so duplicate and reposition as required.

Step 4 - Up lighting

Tiny suspended particles in water reflect a small amount of light upwards, this is recreated by creating a round spotlight, reducing its height so that the beam covers a wider area and then rotating the spotlight 180 degrees to point upwards. The light should have soft edges and be fairly weak with cast shadow disabled, set the light colour as desired. Position the light under your figure.

Step 5 - Streaming Light Rays

In order to create the shafts of light playing through the water, two options are available; you can add them in post production or use Bryce's volumetric lights. Using volumetric lighting is render time intensive and so should always be the final stage.

Firstly, create a spotlight, position it so that it is at the same angle as the caustic lights and the sun, the figure in your scene should be lit by this spotlight. Although not important in terms of lighting your figure the volumetric light will now have areas of shadow where the 'sunlight' is blocked.

In the Light Lab for the spotlight select Cast Shadows, Visible Object, Volume and Infinite Light. Set Edge Softness quite high and then use Intensity and Falloff to tweak the lights properties just right.

Perform your final render and you should have a realistically lit underwater scene.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited April 2016
    diomede said:

And here is a Bryce underwater tutorial from the old artzone

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/bryce/bryce-lighting03

Amazing how similar that tutorial is to how I've set up Underwater Realms for Carrara. There are differences, but I find it amazingly similar! ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,819
    edited April 2016

Had a chance to get something together....

made an anemmmannnnaaa ( don't know how to spell it! ) for my underwater scene and stuck some DAZ fishies in it along with Dart's underwater realms.. smiley

I duplicated and resized a simple tenticle then surface replicated it onto a sphere I cut in half.. played with the shader till I got what I liked, used the fog tool and a replicator for the fish.

Then I did post work using heaps of layers and Ron's brushes to finish it up in PSE14.

ananennammaaaa.JPG
    1021 x 635 - 211K
    Under the sea Render.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 289K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Some relly nice stuff going on.

Terrific anemone Stezza, really nice !

You inspired me to build a few more coral for my scene.

The big one was made with a basis of particles metaballs, like a spray duplicated/resized many times.

Another was made in Realflow and the others in Carrara with polylines.

Corail 2.JPG
    676 x 640 - 50K
    Coraux.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 628K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited April 2016

There are many good WIP's here. This might be an interesting challenge....

I have started to model a version of the Nautilus. Main inspiration taken from the Disney version, from their movie : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Original story by Jules Verne.

Everything done in Carrara. (Hexagon keeps crashing again.... )

Doc1.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 117K
    Post edited by Varsel on
    edited April 2016

diomede, thanks for the info... now have all bookmarked

Stezza,  Nice rener. Where did you get the the Coral Fish, orange, black, white colored, from? Did you model the Anomone? Most I've seen have ends that are tapered to various sized at their ends... some come to a point. I've seen the anemmmannnnaaa you have in render but don't recall what it's called... I've heard it refered to as sea fingers or dead mans fingers... which aren't technical terms but might be in the Anomone family which is quite huge having many different varieties/sizes.

Dudu, nice work. Like how you made the coral.

Varsel, Looks like you're off to a very good start... eager to see the final version.

Here are my meager attempts at 2 different types of tube sponges. I'm not happy with the round one yet... needs to be remodeled to have a smaller opening at the top.  Spent a few hours in the model and texture rooms and only off to a start... they are shown on a textured plain for design purposes... once I'm satisfied they will emerge into my scene.

TubeSpongeProfiles.png
    842 x 867 - 66K
    TubeSpongeFamilys01m.png
    1025 x 769 - 583K

Looks like most of us are adding a model or two.  Well done, Mark, Dudu, Stezza, wgdjon, and Varsel.  Some great WIPs all around.

For my underwater scene, I thought I would use the Daz fairytale pig (http://www.daz3d.com/the-3-little-pigs) and add some diving gear (C8.5 vertex modeler).  Instead of Ralph the swimming pig, here is a start on Ralph the diving pig.  Background is Dart's underwater realms but my camera is not pointed to the correct lighting (sorry, Dart, but just a WIP)

ralph swim wip 2.JPG
    818 x 838 - 68K
    ralph swim wip 3.jpg
    480 x 640 - 84K
    Stezza said:

Had a chance to get something together....

made an anemmmannnnaaa ( don't know how to spell it! ) for my underwater scene and stuck some DAZ fishies in it along with Dart's underwater realms.. smiley

I duplicated and resized a simple tenticle then surface replicated it onto a sphere I cut in half.. played with the shader till I got what I liked, used the fog tool and a replicator for the fish.

Then I did post work using heaps of layers and Ron's brushes to finish it up in PSE14.

I really like this image! Is it the colors? the Composition? the pose of that shark? the anemone? 

Not entirely sure... but I do know that it really catches my eye!

Varsel said:

There are many good WIP's here. This might be an interesting challenge....

I have started to model a version of the Nautilus. Main inspiration taken from the Disney version, from their movie : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Original story by Jules Verne.

Everything done in Carrara. (Hexagon keeps crashing again.... )

Very freaking cool Nautilus, IMHO!!! Love it!!!

DUDU said:

Terrific anemone Stezza, really nice !

You inspired me to build a few more coral for my scene.

The big one was made with a basis of particles metaballs, like a spray duplicated/resized many times.

Another was made in Realflow and the others in Carrara with polylines.

Cool workflow and effect! Loving it!

wgdjohn said:

Here are my meager attempts at 2 different types of tube sponges. I'm not happy with the round one yet... needs to be remodeled to have a smaller opening at the top.  Spent a few hours in the model and texture rooms and only off to a start... they are shown on a textured plain for design purposes... once I'm satisfied they will emerge into my scene.

Meager Schmeager... it looks great!!! :)

diomede said:

Looks like most of us are adding a model or two.  Well done, Mark, Dudu, Stezza, wgdjon, and Varsel.  Some great WIPs all around.

Agreed!

diomede said:

For my underwater scene, I thought I would use the Daz fairytale pig (http://www.daz3d.com/the-3-little-pigs) and add some diving gear (C8.5 vertex modeler).  Instead of Ralph the swimming pig, here is a start on Ralph the diving pig.  Background is Dart's underwater realms but my camera is not pointed to the correct lighting (sorry, Dart, but just a WIP)

No apology necessary. It's your image! ;)

What a nice job on the mash-up! He looks great with all of his fine gear! Sweet!

edited April 2016

Thanks for the feedback, Dartanbeck.  I decided to do a few experiments with my first entry, the rehabbed head from the object browser.  All of this talk about Genesis 3 bones in the face and expressions got me thinking.  Why not try that in Carrara?  So, I added a skeleton to the converted and remapped malehd2 object from the browser.  The core is a set of bones from the base of the neck to the top of the skull but set back of the central Y axis.  I then extended new bones from the base of the head to:  chin, mouthright, mouthleft, nosebase, nosetip, cheekleft, cheekright, eyeleft, eyeright, and forehead central.  Here are some initital tests of attaching the head mesh to the facial skeleton.  I exaggerated to make the changes clear.  To make expressions, a person could now do a combination of bone movement and morphs. The hair is from the sample Carrara hairs in the browser, but less wave/kink/etc

Not sure I will use anything like this for the challenge (a single morph may be easer), but I thought it was worth reporting as an experiment.

expression blank b.jpg
    640 x 480 - 26K
    expression sad exaggerated b.jpg
    640 x 480 - 34K
    Expression Skeleton WIP 2.JPG
    1416 x 948 - 130K
    expression smile exaggerated b.jpg
    640 x 480 - 39K
    Post edited by Diomede on

I probably shouldn't do this... you might lose sleep! But have you seen this?

Very cool.  And free!

edited April 2016

Dart, thanks those are based partly on memory and also pics from Montreal Sea Aquarium as well as some from a Dive Shop. I just remembered that the pics I'd taken are on slides. Funny story... I was snapping pics of a barracuda... lowered the camera and found myself 4 feet away from it... backed away of course.

diomede, Fantastic... you as well as others know how to show what Carrara is capable of.

For the last couple of days I've been hard at work on some coral in the modeler... thanks to Stezza for the idea. Today I scratched my earlier attemps and started agiain from scatch... now that I know what "not to try". Gotta take a break and do some simpler things... get back to a few easy sponges and perhaps a few urchins.

Thanks's folks... I hope I am going to be able to finnish before the deadline ..

I have also started to model a fish. Or more spesific : an Atlantic Cod. Still some more parts to add, and then off course texture. 

Will try to rig it in Carrara..

Doc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 139K
    Doc2.jpg
    800 x 466 - 165K

The "Torsk Land" is now the "King Crab Land", but not so easy to rig it ...wink

Good job Varsel !

DUDU said:

The "Torsk Land" is now the "King Crab Land", but not so easy to rig it ...wink

Good job Varsel !

Well. ... It  could also be called Lakseland  (salomon-country ) we have a lot of seafarms. .

And autocorect on my tablet is ma King this interesting  to write. It uses both Norwegian and English when it propose words. 

And you are right , I have to get some  crabs in the final picture.