Turn instances into standalone objects?

Is it possible to turn some of the instance Ultrascatter creates, for example, into standalones so I can move pose scale turn them freely?

Comments

  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 2,414

    I thought it was possible to move each instance separately. I'm pretty sure I've done that. Except for the posing.

  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 3,298

    pixelquack said:

    Is it possible to turn some of the instance Ultrascatter creates, for example, into standalones so I can move pose scale turn them freely?

    What you probably want is  Edit -> Objects -> Instances -> Break Instance Group.

    Once the instance group is split, you will be able to select and manipulate individual instances at the move/scale/rotate level.

    If you genuinely need them to be their own posable or retexturable objects, then then you're getting outside of what Ultrascatter was really intended for, and you will either need to use something like https://www.daz3d.com/instances-to-objects or be prepared to manually copy parameters from instances to duplicates of the object.

  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 8,197
    Do you really have to break the group to translate, rotate/scale instances? I'm sure I've moved and scaled individuals myself. Unless I created a different instance group type with my swarming scripts. Maybe I'm wrong. Will have to check this out. Regards, Richard.
  • felisfelis Posts: 6,585

    richardandtracy said:

    Do you really have to break the group to translate, rotate/scale instances? I'm sure I've moved and scaled individuals myself. Unless I created a different instance group type with my swarming scripts. Maybe I'm wrong. Will have to check this out. Regards, Richard.

    I have previously created 10-20 instances and moved them around freely. And I am pretty sure I have also scaled them individually.

    E.g. for fruit or vegetables in a basket, or bottles. 

  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 8,197

    Was my thought too. Need to try when I'm sitting at my DAZ machine.

    Regards,

    Richard

  • TotteTotte Posts: 15,210

    pixelquack said:

    Is it possible to turn some of the instance Ultrascatter creates, for example, into standalones so I can move pose scale turn them freely?

    My Instances to Objects does that, but, your Studio will die a painful out of memory death if you try to turn a large scatter into objects. 

    For UltraScenery ( not UltraScatter ) Ultra Scenery Toolbox II has some tools for that, but only for UltraScenery, not UltraScenery2.

    Something similar for Studio 6 is coming, but closer to Christmas.
     

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,449
    edited October 7

    richardandtracy said:

    Do you really have to break the group to translate, rotate/scale instances? I'm sure I've moved and scaled individuals myself. Unless I created a different instance group type with my swarming scripts. Maybe I'm wrong. Will have to check this out. Regards, Richard.

    No, I created instances yesterday and changed all their rotations and translations (didn't need scale) independently. I don't even know what breaking the group means. You can group or ungroup items at will in DS.

    Post edited by jmucchiello on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 3,298
    edited October 7

    richardandtracy said:

    Do you really have to break the group to translate, rotate/scale instances?

    UltraScatter (and Ultrascenery 1) does indeed manage what can potentailly be many thousands of instances by packing them into instance groups - which I stress are not the same as regular groups. Stuff within an instance group cannot be individually selected or manipulated like it can in a standard group, and if you want to do so then you will need to break the instance group.

    Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 8,197

    Will have to look this up. Thanks for letting me know.

    Regards,

    Richard

  • TotteTotte Posts: 15,210

    Matt_Castle said:

    richardandtracy said:

    Do you really have to break the group to translate, rotate/scale instances?

    UltraScatter (and Ultrascenery 1) does indeed manage what can potentailly be many thousands of instances by packing them into instance groups - which I stress are not the same as regular groups. Stuff within an instance group cannot be individually selected or manipulated like it can in a standard group, and if you want to do so then you will need to break the instance group.

    If you closely at my teaser video for Ecology Painter, you see that I do just that, select an item in an DzInstanceGroup, manipulate and put it back. One huge difference between DS 4 and DS 6 is that in DS 6 you can have a million instances in an Instance Group without any perfomance penalty, while in DS 4, you had to split them up into numerous DzInstanceGroups holding a maximum of 1000 instances / group, or performance would degrade rapidly when creating the instances.

     

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 41,713
    edited October 7

    I will unhide DAZ Studio 6 and reinstall when I buy your script

    about the only incentive I have to do so

    (reinstall D|S6 that is, your script and probably  umblefugly's too, a given)

    the info on instances a bonus

    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 8,197

    Totte said:

    ...

    ...One huge difference between DS 4 and DS 6 is that in DS 6 you can have a million instances in an Instance Group without any perfomance penalty, while in DS 4, you had to split them up into numerous DzInstanceGroups holding a maximum of 1000 instances / group, or performance would degrade rapidly when creating the instances.

     

    Turns out I have used dzInstanceGroups - but will still have to trial it to see the difference between instance groups and groups containing instances.

    What Totte said in the quote above is very interesting. I have noticed a performance degradation in DS4 with 4000 in an instance group and as there was only a single facet in the item instanced I was slightly surprised. Hmm. Will have to stick something in to the code to check on the program version & behave differently for DS4.

    Regards,

    Richard

Sign In or Register to comment.