* Coming Soon* Ecology Painter
Totte
Posts: 15,215
You currently have no notifications.
Totte
Posts: 15,215
Licensing Agreement | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | EULA
© 2026 Daz Productions Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Comments
looks cool, are the painted foliage bits instances or all mesh (though I guess your instancify would fix the latter)
thats always been the issue for me doing it outside DAZ studio in other apps, all the mesh to import though instanced in the original program such as Unreal Engine etc
Instances, as otherwise DS would get crosseyed, go belly up and die painfully after a few seconds of painting.
thats good because that's exactly what happens importing brushed on foliage from Unreal or Twinmotion via Unreal
the number of meshes is staggering
I'm using the same kind of technique as HowieFarkes uses for his UltraScenery stuff, InstanceGroupNodes.
Nice stuff! Kinda funny because I am doing something similar.

can you brush any objects or just presets by you and your collaborators?
am wondering if a collection of buildings for example on a terrain like the Unreal Foliage brush can
basically is it brushable Ultrascatter
You can create Ecology Painter Presets from whatever you like really.
cool
Wow this looks great.
Presumably DS6 only though? (I'm stuck on DS4.21 until I can acquire new hardware). Still it's something to look forward to when that happens!
Yes, DS 6 only, mostly because DS 4 doesn't really cut it when it comes to things like this, too slow, too shaky, basically too old core.
oh that's a shame
I uninstalled D|S6 because too much not supported and 7 versions of D|S was too much even for me
Out of interest (aka nosiness) is this a custom paint engine or have you been able to use the one in DS (for weight painting etc.)? It certainly looks useful.
It's custom, using some strange viewport things to get hit by mouse, took some time to figure those things out.
Some images showing what you can do with it




Sounds errr, fun?
Can the terrain mesh that is created in this in DS6 be saved as a scene and opened in DS4 at least? Or would that not be possible?
As these are std DzInstanceGroupNodes, yes, you can paint in 6 and open in 4 to render
ok, thats great to hear, looking forward to this.
Wow, this looks so promising, thanks for coming up with the idea! Will keep eyes peeled for it to appear in the store.
Oh, now that's interesting. I don't really use DS6 yet, but maybe I will start.
Yes, during development several testers called it "DS flowscape". Youn can actually paint anything, and there will be stuff coming up for it from other PAs.
If only you'd make a version for DS4, I'd buy it in an instant.
DS 4 / Qt 4.8 just wont cut it, that's why I've done it for DS 6.
Care to expand on that? I can't see any reason DS6 would do this any better than DS4. If anything, I found DS6 to be a lot slower and more resource heavy.
Internal things, DS 6 is so much better under the hood ( for example loading files in way much faster ), and instance handling is at a whole different level, no more need to manage instance groups to never add more that 1000 instances to an instance groups ( as DS 4 slows to a crawl if you did ).
Odd, I've not encountered any issues using ScatterPro and creating several thousand instances at once in DS4. I guess it's a personal perception of time thing?
DS6 on the other hand, I've found much slower to load even a single G9 character. God help me when I add a strand hair asset to it, I can literally go and make a coffee before it's loaded.
Weird, but Scatter products do a lot of stuff ( housekeeping ) to handle those instances, but as they have a limited number of instancegroups, there would be a problem.
Just imaging hundreds of instance group nodes and you want to moce an item, scan all those to find out which one holds the instance the user clicked on, so many things in DS 4 that cumularive just makes it to "not cut it", unless of course itr's worth spending another 800 hours to get work with resonable speed and user satisfaction in DS 4.