Iray so slow

I am using a gamer laptop G75 with

• Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor
  • 24 GB DDR3
  • 2 x 1024 GB SSD
  • 17.3-Inch Screen, NV GTX670MX w/ 3GB GDDR5

Rendering takes forever for Iray..  IS my setup good enough for that?

Thanks

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956

Well from what I've read replacing your current nVidia card with the newest nVidia card won't be a cure all. Try reducing the size of your renders to 720p (1280x720 aka HD whereas 1920x1080 is now called FHD). That's been very effective for me and I am only iRay CPU rendering on a 2nd Gen i5/Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 8GB RAM.

• pkappeteinpkappetein Posts: 506

I am rending images  1236 x 768

and after 20 min i canceled, since i am only at 5% .

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Are all the materials 'real' Iray materials?

As far as I know.

Even tried the  Tutorial for the Sci-Fi Warrior..    I quit Daz since it was just sitting there for loading as well.. when it came to the part "poses"   my CPU = 100% and Daz = 2 - 2.4 Gb memory  

and it's sitting there on loading.. (tried it several times / rebooted etc..   and gave up)

• Be aware the render % doesn't go up with a linear speed - I tend to find the first 10% can take 15 minutes, then it storms right up to 80% in the next 5 minutes, then the last 20% takes another 20 minutes.

(I also don't use the "proper" Iray materials because the size of the texture maps are too big for what i'm doing - I often cut them down from the 4k range to 1024px instead, which speeds things up. I don't need photorealism...! :P)

ok, feel dumb,   can you cut them up in Daz ?     I noticed that that textures are like 4096 x 4096 when you buy then..  you mean that when you render a small part of it,  it's doing the whole 4096 x 4096 ?

If so, I would love to cut the rest,  if that speed things up a lot..

• ok, feel dumb,   can you cut them up in Daz ?     I noticed that that textures are like 4096 x 4096 when you buy then..  you mean that when you render a small part of it,  it's doing the whole 4096 x 4096 ?

If so, I would love to cut the rest,  if that speed things up a lot..

I think when you render any part of the scene, it still goes through all the textures. What I mean is I physically make new copies of the texture maps by opening them in Photoshop and making them smaller by 50%-75%, and use them instead. I noticed the first time I loaded in a Genesis 3 figure with Iray maps it was slow as heck, and for me it's due to the texture maps being huuuuuge!

Aah ok.  

Guess I will make a backup again, before I start playing with that then. and see if it's saving me a lot of time

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,905

What I would try, as a quick test, is make a copy of your scene, and just delete all the textures.

If it's suddenly way fast, then that's where you can focus.

Also, note that in Advanced render options you can compress textures (set the options to 512/1024, for example). While the textures are still read in, you end up with less memory needed once it starts.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    edited March 2016

Start with just a Genesis character, no clothes, no hair. Use only the default Iray render settings, which will toss in the "Ruins" HDR image for lighting. In the General render settings, choose Auto Headlamp to Never and set it to render. Size your render under 1K on the longest size.

Be sure you have your GPU selected in Advanced render tab. Even with 3GB on your card, this scene should easily fit into that space, even if the card is also shared by your monitor.

Render and let it get to at least a point where you see an image, even grainy. Now open the log by choosing Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File. Go down to the bottom and note any Iray render errors that may have been reported. Once you can definitely ascertain your GPU is dropping out of the render, then you can look into trimming scene size so it'll fit into 3GB.

For speeding things up and doing larger scenes, also see about using the built-in standard graphics of your notebook for the monitor display, if possible. That will offload the VRAM reserved for the graphics display from your 670, giving you most of that 3GB to work with. That's enough for one or two characters, clothes and hair, and a basic setting. 

Post edited by Tobor on

ok, looking at the settings..

I KNOW i saw where can i can select CPU/GPU  for rendering,  but i cannot find it anymore in DAZ... Checking every menu, but not seeing it :(  

Where was that located?    THat might be set back to default after I re-installed everything

• It's an Iray setting, in the Advanced tab of the Render Settings pane.

I know :)   but there ain't Advanced tab anymore ?    (with the latest 4,9 update?  )

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Here's a screen cap to help.

Capture.PNG
    538 x 684 - 40K

wow got it  ..

Thank you :)

I was looking for Advanced under the settings, but it was the tab on top   :/   duh....

Do you select only the GPU  or do yo select both?

In the past I had both selected..   idk what it prefered?

Added my dome in there again, but output is all black...   

edited March 2016

Some people select only the GPU if they want their computers to remain more reactive during render. Your CPU is an i7-3630, which has some decent horsepower, plus a substantial amount of system RAM. You may find it helpful to tick the CPU box, and then during a render kick back and have a cold one while watching reruns of Mission: Impossible.

You've got a pretty decent rendering system for a laptop, but the graphics card is a bit anemic because of its 2GB RAM. It has close to 1,000 CUDA cores, which isn't bad. You just have to figure out how to balance the scene database size to fit your renders into that 2GB (assuming you can't increase the RAM on the graphics card).

There's no way of telling why your renders are slow. It could be an improperly set up scene (too low light, bad shaders, etc.), or your GPU may be dropping out for whatever reason. Insufficient RAM is only one of them. You'll get other errors showing in the log if, for example, your driver isn't up to date. If it says the compute capacility level is too low, you need to update. Basically, any driver more than about a year old won't handle Iray, either at all, or not well.

Post edited by Tobor on

Added my dome in there again, but output is all black...   

Please go back to a simple scene. Reset the Iray settings to the defaults. Add one character, nekkid as a jaybird. Apply the basic Iray skin shader to him or her. Nothing more. Work from there.

What is this Cloud [Beta] Tab?  Is it part of PC membership? Do I just use my DAZ account information? What do I use for the server information?

I guess sending just the data needed to render an image is significantly less than I'd guess.

No Idea....   Bought so many stuff lately, that I barely looked at all the options.. 

No Idea....   Bought so many stuff lately, that I barely looked at all the options.. 

Well once you look at all the options, you'll quickly decide to narrow it back down to a few of them anyway...

edited March 2016

made 1 woman

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info :     CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 670MX)
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info :     CPU
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend info : Using device 0 to build data for host
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): recv failed errno=10054
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend info : Initializing light hierarchy.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 670MX): Scene processed in 41.908s
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 670MX): Allocated 28 MB for frame buffer
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 670MX): Allocated 804 MB of work space (1024k active samples in 0.093s)
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 670MX): Used for display, optimizing for interactive usage (performance could be sacrificed)
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CPU: Scene processed in 42.446s
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CPU: Allocated 28 MB for frame buffer
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00001 iterations after 42.517s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00002 iterations after 42.914s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00003 iterations after 43.279s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00005 iterations after 43.639s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00006 iterations after 44.073s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00009 iterations after 44.590s.
    ----
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00446 iterations after 137.250s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00447 iterations after 137.747s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00451 iterations after 138.330s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00452 iterations after 138.590s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00453 iterations after 139.481s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00461 iterations after 140.434s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00463 iterations after 141.149s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00467 iterations after 141.447s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00468 iterations after 142.012s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00472 iterations after 142.544s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Convergence threshold reached.
    Saved image: C:\Users\perry\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r.png
    Finished Rendering
    Total Rendering Time: 2 minutes 26.35 seconds
    Loaded image r.png
    Saved image: C:\Users\perry\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\RenderAlbumTmp\Render 5.jpg
    WARNING: QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 3
    WARNING: QImage::scaled: Image is a null image

Post edited by pkappetein on
    edited March 2016

Well the slowness you are complaining about that takes less than 3 minutes on your pc only gets to about 55% at 2 hours of rendering on my laptop.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Well, this was just a plain woman..

If I have a scene, then it takes forever about 40 minutes.

If a add  the Skydome,  then it takes about 1 minute, and all it is, is a black screen..  (For Iray)

When I do it for 3Delight, it takes about a minute orso,  but then i have the Skydome, but missing the floors and other details..

If a add  the Skydome,  then it takes about 1 minute, and all it is, is a black screen..  (For Iray)

Because Iray has a dome for lighting...it does not need a mesh skydome.  Adding one is like adding a giant umbrella over your scene.

What do I use for Iray scenes then?   Just adding a plain background  somehow ?

Thought that Skydome was to get like an enviroment for outsides etc.  

You plug an HDRI into the Iray dome...

Is the Surfer Lights an iRay Dome?

• Is the Surfer Lights an iRay Dome?

From the default content? I think that is a 3Delight set only.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited March 2016
    Tobor said:

Some people select only the GPU if they want their computers to remain more reactive during render. Your CPU is an i7-3630, which has some decent horsepower, plus a substantial amount of system RAM. You may find it helpful to tick the CPU box, and then during a render kick back and have a cold one while watching reruns of Mission: Impossible.

You've got a pretty decent rendering system for a laptop, but the graphics card is a bit anemic because of its 2GB RAM. It has close to 1,9000 CUDA cores, which isn't bad. You just have to figure out how to balance the scene database size to fit your renders into that 2GB (assuming you can't increase the RAM on the graphics card).

There's no way of telling why your renders are slow. It could be an improperly set up scene (too low light, bad shaders, etc.), or your GPU may be dropping out for whatever reason. Insufficient RAM is only one of them. You'll get other errors showing in the log if, for example, your driver isn't up to date. If it says the compute capacility level is too low, you need to update. Basically, any driver more than about a year old won't handle Iray, either at all, or not well.

Plenty of CUDA cores yes, but from an older card, so they are going to struggle.

@OP

I certainly would not look to improve the laptop, but consider if the finances are available building a machine for rendering. Rendering, even more than gaming, makes powerful computers cry.

Consider, a heavy gaming session will have peaks and troughs in resource requirements; and can last an hour or two, longer perhaps for the real long term game sessions. Rendering wants 100% and it can go on for days - so it really taxes a system. And requirements for the two do have some cross-over, but also have their differences.

Post edited by nicstt on