New Iray SkyDome Super Pak available Now [Commercial]

Comments

• magix101magix101 Posts: 165
    edited April 2016
    Kerya said:

Others have already posted, but for future reference I eventually remembered someone (Novica, I think) saying recently that you could get to a product's readme by clicking on the 'i' next to it in the DIM (Download Information Manager). I couldn't find this one any other way.

Another way: look at the store page, to the right of the promo picture there is the SKU:23387 - now go to Help (uppermost row of the screen), Documentation Center, to the left is Product Read Me's

rembember the number and go to the part 23000-23999, there they are in alphabetical order.

Interesting (and disturbing) - the SuperPAK is SKU:29274 - and 29... doesn't exist in the Readme index ...

Yeah I just wrote to Kevin, there has been some very strange things regarding the release of the PAK...nothing that serious...but a bit confusing.
    The read Me was with the upload I gave to them ages ago, it should be in the runtime read me folder in the install directory, however I cut and pasted it and posted it here earlier in this thread.
    I also had to kind of hunt for the released product to even find it, its all a bit odd..oh well we will see what Kevin says

Post edited by magix101 on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Are you planning an indoors set too?  I think it's brilliant that you have EVERYTHING set up correctly rather than leaving so many questions and trial and error messing with settings to get things looking just OK.   Just seeing RGcincy's click and go sailboat render above... that's more what I'm looking for.  I struggle enough with learning iRay Surface settings but having to constantly adjust my lighting and render settings gets to be a bit much!  

Thanks for making this available to us!  :-)

Rich

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

played a lot with all possible rotations but cant get the shadow directions to be changed

any hints ?

nice to play with this pak though

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    Ruphuss said:

played a lot with all possible rotations but cant get the shadow directions to be changed

any hints ?

nice to play with this pak though

Make sure you have the base/sun (I think it works with both?) selected when you click the rotation changing thing.

i think idid but it does not change the shadow direction

i would like to know which light is causing the shadows

now i linked ir-sun to ss sun node in render settings

now rotating not the sun but the ir base does the trick

i had the big moon shining and the shadows pointed in 90 degrees to it

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Ruphuss said:

now i linked ir-sun to ss sun node in render settings

now rotating not the sun but the ir base does the trick

i had the big moon shining and the shadows pointed in 90 degrees to it

Please, could you add a screenshot showing how you did that? Please?

click on ss sun node in render settings

from the drop down menue chose ir sun

then under parameters y-rotate the ir base

its a lot of fiddling with the rotations to get this right because you cannot see where your light source is located

sun node.jpg
    768 x 798 - 102K

with all these test renders rendering was slowing down

thats because studio stores each render in temp files in render album temp and seems to stay in the gpu

deleting these renders makes rendering a lot quicker again

this may be helpfull if you got a gpu with small memory like me

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Thank you very much!

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@ruphuss

the iray environment / ss settings shouldn't be doing anything. A few posts back, magix101 mentions that all the lighting is coming from the dome itself. It is emissive and has a built in "sun". Changing shadows should involve selecting the dome then using the typical rotation settings in the parameter tab. See also the readme that magix101 posted here ( pg 3 of this thread).

edited April 2016

another testing

fastbike is right

no render settings needed

but the sun/moon light rotate with the base not the dome

with a cam y-rotation = 0 pointing at 0/0 the big moon appears together with the light at 270/270

question at magix:

are the lights always coming from the same position ?

big moon 2.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Ruphuss on

now please a hint how to manage that the easy way

as it is hard to synchronize sunlight with sun/moon appearing on the dome

lots of test renders to do

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850
    edited April 2016

... or use main window's preview in Iray if possible. My Nvidia graphics card has 2 GB of VRAM,

but iray preview works with it.

Post edited by Artini on
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

I use Iray Preview with CPU in the main window all the time. Sure it gets started slowly but it's miles faster than doing test renders and once running you can make minor changes such as moving lighting around and it'll adapt pretty quickly, regardless of any video card. It's not like you need more than a few seconds of render generation to see which direction the sun is pointing and where the light is on a character, etc.

edited April 2016
    RAMWolff said:

Are you planning an indoors set too?  I think it's brilliant that you have EVERYTHING set up correctly rather than leaving so many questions and trial and error messing with settings to get things looking just OK.   Just seeing RGcincy's click and go sailboat render above... that's more what I'm looking for.  I struggle enough with learning iRay Surface settings but having to constantly adjust my lighting and render settings gets to be a bit much!  

Thanks for making this available to us!  :-)

Rich

Hey thanks Rich.
    Yeah I think setting up a solid starting point is the way to go...too often I use new products..(in audio mainly) and it becomes an exercise in frustration...especially when you are first getting used to something.
    Tweaking parameters here and there just to get started can be a bit annoying, I personally like a solid starting point, then tweak if I need to.

I already have an Iray Light package that can be used for indoors, its more based on LED lighting with barndoors, and also photography lighting...so I am not sure how far to go with that>
    But I have a lot of ideas how to develop and add on to this Uray Skydome product ...which is really a world kit...kinda.
    Cheers

Ruphuss said:

click on ss sun node in render settings

from the drop down menue chose ir sun

then under parameters y-rotate the ir base

its a lot of fiddling with the rotations to get this right because you cannot see where your light source is located

Thats an interesting discovery, but not really necessary and will probably cause confusion.
    First thing is the Sun throws most of the light and defines the shadows direction.
    But the secondary light from the sky itself influences the play of light to some degree (like in the real world...as far as possible)
    Here is a quick tutorial

1. First set the Aux Viewport to Iray render and use the default viewing camera (usually FilmCam)
    2. Set the Main Viewport to Texture Shaded render (for the sake of speed)
    3. Set the view in the Main Viewport to TopView
    4. Select The IR-Base object in the Scene Pane (See Image)
    5. Now click the Viewframe Icon in the Main View Window (See Image)  make sure the IR-Base is still selected when you hit the Viewframe Icon
    6. You should now see the Skydome clearly from above (see Image)
    7.Open out the IR-Base in the Scene Pane so you can see the 3 items (See Image)
    8.Turn off the Skydome (Eye on the left)
    9. You can now see the Sun position from above (see Image)
    10. Use the Transale tool to move it somewhere else...I moved mine to the rear (rear left from above.)
    11. Note where Gen 3 shadow is in the Aux Viewport...exactly where it should be...and this is with no Skydome to filter out the default Iray renderer from outside (see Image of Gen 3 and shadow...with no Skydome)
    12. Turn on the Skydome and render the same image (see Image...its labelled)

Hope this helps...I will give a few more tips ina following tutorial

Scene Pane.jpg
    429 x 205 - 14K
    View Frame.jpg
    152 x 192 - 5K
    SkyDome [Top View].jpg
    503 x 505 - 14K
    Ir-Base Opened.jpg
    278 x 84 - 6K
    Sun Position (from above).jpg
    560 x 497 - 81K
    Gen3 No Dome rear Shadow.jpg
    585 x 290 - 37K
    Gen3 Dome on Rear Sun Shadow.jpg
    584 x 301 - 48K

In part 2 I have done a few modifications
    I turned down the Sky Luminance (this is in the read me) this is done by
    1. Select the Sun in the Scene Tab
    2.Select Surfaces (Materials)
    3. Then select IR-Sun/Emission/Luminance
    4. My Luminance was set to 35000000.0...I cahnged that to 55000000.0...that makes the Sun brighter
    5. Its still in the rear (as in the first tutorial) but brighter (see Image )
    6. You can turn down the indirect Sky light by the same method...and lesson the amount of Luminance...so the sun is throwing most of the light
    7.I am posting another final image where I have moved the sun to the fron right from above and rendered it in the Aux Window (see Image)
    As you can see from this...most of the light is coming from the Sun, but some light is coming from the skies too.
    Now you dont really need to do it this way, the preset sun postions cover most of everything you will ever need, I only posted this to clear up any confusion

Final tip...You can slo use the same viewing method descrived in Part 1 by setting the main Camera to Front View  and using the Viewframe Icon, switch of the Skydome to see the Suns height...you can adjust it
    manually using the translate tool.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gen3 Dome on Rear Sun Shadow Modified.jpg
    581 x 294 - 53K
    Gen3 Dome on Front Right.jpg
    608 x 299 - 50K
    Ruphuss said:

another testing

fastbike is right

no render settings needed

but the sun/moon light rotate with the base not the dome

with a cam y-rotation = 0 pointing at 0/0 the big moon appears together with the light at 270/270

question at magix:

are the lights always coming from the same position ?

No...The lights come from where the sun is, they are also partly directed by the sky too, but not as much.
    Study the above tutorial, its not that hard once you get a handle on it...

edited April 2016

To help you understand a little better I used the preset Goth City1
    Now what I have done in the first image is Turn off the Sun, and the Skys emission is usually 80000.0 cd/m2 units
    I cranked that up to 150000.0 and this image (Moon-1 no sun) is what you get.

See How the moon is actually throwing light, not a great amount, but it is throwing it, also you can see the reflection in the water.
    Now in image 2 I have re postioned the Sun in the same area as the moon ...slightly to the right rear, using the above method described in the previous post.
    I turned the Sky (Moon)  back to 80000.0 cd/m2 units, this is what that looks like.
    Now if the Sun becomes visible (I positoned mine right in fron of the moon...using top view and front view and translate (described previously)
    Now if that sun is visible go to Geometry/Cut out Opacity and set that to 0.000010 and the Sun will disappear but still throw the same light (There is a link how to do this also earlier in this thread)
    See Image Sun and Moon...this is how that looks.
    Once you get the feel for all of this, you should be able to set up stunning world images very quickly...as an example starting with the Goth City 1 preset and viewing from above and in front..i was able to reposition the Sun and set it all up in about 5 mins or less.

Moon-1 No Sun.jpg
    624 x 327 - 24K
    Sun and Moon.jpg
    582 x 291 - 30K
    edited April 2016

aux viewport did the trick

thank you

i seldom used it and then forgot

i dont know if you said already magix

but you have to choose the position of the base first because the skydome moves with the base and with it the sun

then move the skydome because this moves separately

edit:

so it would be nice to be able to move the ir-sun without moving the base

edited April 2016
    Ruphuss said:

thank you

i seldom used it and then forgot

i dont know if you said already magix

but you have to choose the position of the base first because the skydome moves with the base and with it the sun

then move the skydome because this moves separately

edit:

Yes that is exactly right...if you select IR-base and use Y-Rotate everything moves....except the FilmCam..or or you can select the IR-Skydome and Y rotate and the skies alone will rotate.
    But the spin skies does the same thing in the presets

edited April 2016

to rotate the ir-sun separate

how if i create a null and parenting the ir-sun to the null

unparenting it from the base before ?

edith says

works great

edited April 2016

Now heres an interesting Render...(probably shouldnt show too many here...this is an exception)
    Its based on the previous example where the sun is right in front of the moon and made invisible...so both are generating light from where the moon is.
    Then I duplicated "Edit/Duplicate Nodes" the IR-Skydome, then re scaled it to 99% so its slightly smaller than the original.

I took off all textures and re named it "Skylight" and set the Cutoff Opacity to 0.000010, so it can still throw light but is invisible, also its now throwing a solid color evenly in the scene.
    I made it bluish and set the Luminance down a bit , the idea is that it throws ambient light in the scene..low level light.
    Will mentioned something along these lines earlier in this thread, thanks Will and thanks Sicklefield too for the Opacity information.

Anyway I rendered it...and here it is, bear in mind I did this very quickly, so the moon is skewed a bit because of the camera settings and stuff, but yeah its really given me a lot of ideas.

Have a look at the full size image, I am loving the feeling of density that this setup gives...especially to the ship...

Zeppelin at Night.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 1M
    edited April 2016
    Ruphuss said:

to rotate the ir-sun separate

how if i create a null and parenting the ir-sun to the null

unparenting it from the base before ?

edith says

works great

I am not sure exactly what you are asking.
    But if you are asking how to move the sun...simply select the Sun and either use the translate tool or the rotate and translate sliders or simply use the pre set sun positions.
    Select the sun first and all is good.

edited April 2016
    Ruphuss said:

thank you

As I mentioned above ...you can, simply select the sun and hit anyone of the Sun Postions from the Main Iray Worlds Skydome package, you can move it where ever you like...without anything else moving.

the ir-sun is parented to the base

i can only y-rotate the sun with the base

i like to have this movement separate from the base

Do you mean you want to rotate or move the base without moving the sun? Thats easy all you do is unparent the Sun from the Base.
    If you mean can the Sun move on its own without affecting the base, I have already explained to you several times you can do that...see comments above.
    Cheers

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

Need to get this if there's another catchup sale 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

One nice thing about using skydome with some transparency (I'll post a more complete explanation once I can get into my experiment and remind myself what steps I took, heh) is that you can easily turn a daylight texture into a dawn/dusk image.

Render in a little bit... assuming my computer isn't dying. Which it might be. eep