Reality 4.2 ~ Learn It ~ Chat With Paolo ~ WIPS ~ Renders Showcase!

Comments

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661

Please try this:

- Reboot the machine

- Start Studio

- Add a standard G3M or G3F figure from the Smart Library

- Launch Reality. Do you see the figure?

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861

I added both figures to the scene but I can only see G3M. Strange. I also tried adding Girl 7 and Michael 7 just to test it but I cannot see them too.

Sorry to ask you this, but it seems like there are parts of Reality that have not been installed correctly. Can you remove it and re-install I fresh?

To uninstall just delete the Reality dir inside the Studio and the C:\Progtam Files\Reality_DS dir.

I don't know, maybe my old scenes are causing the issue?

I re-installed Reality completely, loaded G3M and Gianni 7 into a new scene, both appeared in the material editor.

Then I opened the scene with my Gianni shader, loaded another gianni figure in there to try to apply it, that figure did not appear.

So I created a fresh scene again, and now the figures aren't appearing again.

So my guess is, that the scene with the Gianni shader is somehow corrupting Reality.

That is unlikely, I'm more leaning toward some interference with AV or firewall software. Reality and DAZ Studio must have unrestricted Internet access in order to communicate with each other. If a firewall or AV program traps the communication then there will be issues like the ones that you described.

edited March 2016

I don't know, I just started new scene, loaded Gianni 7, everything seemed fine. He appeared in the material window and automatically got assigned the shader preset I created, I hit render and he was invisible in the render and when I checked the materials window, he was no longer there.

And now the issue is back, no figures appear.

Post edited by Toyen on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

I installed Reality 4.2 last night and was following the video using Helena's tomb but there is a problem with reality finding the textures if you install with connect. When I installed the product through connect then loaded into DS made my changes as per video then went to reality to render, the red X on the log file was flashing and when I checked it tells me all these errors that the textures.jpg cannot be found.  I uninstalled through connect and installed with DIM, installing both the DS file and StudioCF files and Reality had no problem finding my textures and rendering the scene. Is this a known issue with Reality and Connect not communicating where the files are when using DS 4.9 and Connect? I am assuming Connect isn't installing all the files correctly for older products but it is the only one I have tried so far.

Hi Kharma.

At tis time I cannot answer since I don't use Studio 4.9 and Connect. If you have an error message plase post the screenshot of the error message and the full path of the texture. If the texture is kept on your local hard disk then there is no reason for Reality and Lux to not find it. If it's stored in the Cloud then there will be no way of accessing it.

Hope this helps.

And today, it worked again and I managed to render Gianni. So I'm not really sure what's happening.

Anyways I have a material related question.

Every skin surface has the exact same settings yet I'm seeing some strange seams in the render. The most visible on is on the head and then I think I see one on the neck which is strange because there isn't even an UV seam in the area.

Any idea why that is happening?

reality_scene.png
    650 x 1052 - 1M

The difference between the face and the back of the head is caused by different material settings. Please post the complete Material tan for both and I will point you to where you need to synchronize the mats.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    pciccone said:

Hi Kharma.

At tis time I cannot answer since I don't use Studio 4.9 and Connect. If you have an error message plase post the screenshot of the error message and the full path of the texture. If the texture is kept on your local hard disk then there is no reason for Reality and Lux to not find it. If it's stored in the Cloud then there will be no way of accessing it.

Hope this helps.

I will have to check in the log file when I get home tonite and see if it is still there, but like I said once I installed both files for Helena's tomb with DIM into My library it worked in Reality same as when I used 4.8 so I am wondering if when installing with connect it doesn't install the textures correctly, it isn't a problem with Reality itself just posted here in case anyone else found the same issue. With DIM installation it installs to E:/My Library and with Connect it installs to E:/My Library/data/cloud/######of product so yes either way the files are on my hard disk.  I will try with another older product and see if the same happens when installing with Connect tonite

Thank you Kharma.

Really, all the skin material zones use the same exact settings, apart from the texture maps of course.

Here's shown the Face and the Torso.

Untitled.png
    1519 x 879 - 136K

That might be, Toyen, but what we need to check is the Ears material, not the torso :)

edited March 2016

Actually, on G3M, the Torso material zone is where the scalp seam that's showing is at (see picture).

I mean I guess it's not a big deal, something like this can be fixed in 2D image editor in a few seconds but still I wonder what goes on here.

seam.png
    477 x 750 - 184K
    Post edited by Toyen on

No, if there is a difference that is not a problem of the program, it's a difference in the material. I never fix anything in post, there is no need for that at all. 

Please post the settings for the Diffuse texture of both materials. Thank you.

Here they are, pretty much the same parameters on both.

maps.png
    805 x 706 - 120K

Thank you. Can you check that the "Surface fuzz" and "Metallicity" parameters are the same? If so, please post the settings for the Modifiers tab for both materials. 

Thank you.

Surface fuzz is turned off but the metallicity was a little bit different but that wasn't the problem. I just ran a render and the seam is still there even with the metallicity now set to the exact same %.

Modifiers are the same as well.

Maybe I should try to render a different figure and see if the problem persists or whether it's just Gianni that is causing issues for some reason.

modifiers.png
    1545 x 868 - 140K

Here's another render:

Any advice on how I can make the polygons not show up on the figure? They are too visible on the left arm for example while the legs and torso look somewhat fine.

I have the surfaces set to smooth.

That is an issue with the lighting. PBR renderers often have that issue with edges. You can move the light a little bit, generally small changes solve the issue. Or you can add a reflector that will add some suble fill light to that arm. Alternatively, you can subdivide that material in Reality. Use the Modifiers tab. 1 or 2 levels will do.

Cheers.

edited March 2016

Victoria 7 Rendered with Reality

And here is Victoria 7 with the Reality treatment :)

Post edited by pciccone on

I guess subdividing the area will be the best solution if I want to keep the light where it is, thanks for the tip.

Beautiful render you have there!

Have you experienced any of the issues I described while rendering Victoria?

I must give the females a try too but, the figures stopped loading again : (

Thank you.

No, none of what happened to you. The showing of polys happens every now and then with high-contrast images, but it's easily solved by the subd trick.

• michael@sla.vin[email protected] Posts: 21
    edited March 2016

OMG what a beautiful toy/tool!! Have been fiddling with Reality/LuxRender for a couple days now and am starting to stumble upon a few things. Much of this time has been trying to get eyes to look OK and have developed a method I thought I ought to share here, a major key of which is this tiny item of three simple Daz primitives. Here's what it looks like after less than a half hour on my old mac mini.

Anyhow, I simply drop the three little moons into the sky above and in front of my figure and move on into Reality where I find them magically transformed into meshlights!! (It's all in the names in the scene.) In the Lights tab in Reality I make sure all three are enables and don't bother fooling with the settings there. I also make sure IBL is checked as enabled, then pick an output file name and start the render and sit back and watch this awful flattish image start to grow in the window.

Now comes the next magical bit (as Harry said at the World Quiddich Cup, I LOVE magic!) .... In LuxRender while the image grows, over to the left there are some tabs, the first being Imaging. In tone mapping I generally get lazy and keep AutoLinear and Preserve Luminosity. Just below that I open up Gamma and film response, and choose a newer twist on an old favorite film Kodak Gold 200. And NOW the BIG magic, I go to the second tab, Light Groups, and dial back the gain on the IBL while leaving the Mesh Lights (moons) to auto adjust and shine. This one looked good to me at .002 IBL Gain.

Anyhow Paolo, thanks for the great work! Now to fingure out how to get lips to load as part of the face (in G3) rather than the Mr. Potato Head item mine start as... The face loads OK but I have to paste it onto the lips and then switch on top coat...

Post edited by [email protected] on

Hi theWebster.

Glad that you like Reality. If you need help with the mat definition just post here your settings, your current result, and your goal. We'll do our best to help.

Cheers.

• Ah, figured out how to get that photo ... oops RENDER! .. in there. Wow thanks for the quick response Paolo!  What I'm doing is creating a catalog of my cluttered content and saving as scene subsets, with props, hair, jerryrigged headlights/taillights, cameras or whatever, and a thumbnail at 450px so a hover lets my poor old eyes see what it is I have. Also have been converting old V4 stuff to iRay, and skinning G3F with old V4 stuff. The default autoload, as seen above, works great for all but the lips which arrive as glossy. Not sure I'm ready to try a Universal preset yet, afraid of breaking something that is already working almost perfectly...

How'd you like my little moons? :)

That's a great trick, about the moons. There is not problem in using the Universal preset, go ahead :)

I have re-installed Reality several times now but the figures just aren't showing up in the Material editor : (

Any suggestions what I could try to fix this would be much welcome.

That had to be caused by a program blocking communications between Studio and Reality. 

Typically this us because of firewalls or AV programs.

Make sure that nothing is blocking internet communication, inbound and outbound, for both Studio and Reality.