FirstBastion's 2016 Upcoming Lineup [commercial]

Comments

• Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837

Well darn, I should have participated - stoopid life getting in my way. Congratulations to everyone, there are some really imaginative works there.

• I didn't enter the contest this year either. But if I did win, I would choose the sci-fi blast bunker. I already have the best 32 sets of yours.
    1h6m 2dl motel_20170112160235155.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    Any idea when DAZ will react to the email? Was thinking about doing some shopping, but the gift is still sitting in my cart

No idea when.  I sent the list in yesterday as mentioned,  but its customer service that takes care of these dispersals,  so their priorities and workload is information I'm not privy to. I have done these contests many times,  running them or sponsoring them,  and the Daz Office always gets to it eventually.   I suggest you toss the choice temporarily,  make your other purchases,  and then put it back in. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Any idea when DAZ will react to the email? Was thinking about doing some shopping, but the gift is still sitting in my cart

No idea when.  I sent the list in yesterday as mentioned,  but its customer service that takes care of these dispersals,  so their priorities and workload is information I'm not privy to. I have done these contests many times,  running them or sponsoring them,  and the Daz Office always gets to it eventually.   I suggest you toss the choice temporarily,  make your other purchases,  and then put it back in. 

That's what I did.  Took it out, grabbed what I needed and put it back in.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Yay, just got the order confirmation from DAZ, so downloading now (and play tomorrow).

Thanks again, FB!

• Yes, same here. Thank you.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753

Likewise, thank you.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

Yep, same here! Thanks again!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,135

Got mine too - thank you laugh

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757

Avast!  There be an Atrium ahoy!  Muchas gracias!  

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

Order went through 2 hours ago. Thanks, FB!

Loading my up now as well thank you very much!

• Thanks, FB! Mine is downloading as I type this.  Thanks.  :)

Thank you all for letting me know you received the prizes.  Feel free to post some renders if you get a chance.  Always like seeing the creativity you all come up with. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Got mine too, thank you again.

If your stuff is over at AVP Galaxy, I help to moderate the forums on there. :)

In the day I had tutorials on PlanetAvP  and frequented the official Monolith AvP2 Forums.  Long time ago.  The vents and ducts are still in the works.

• @FirstBastion  I managed to make my way over to your YouTube page when I took a break from writing today.  There are some good videos there.  I hope you plan to do more Hexagon tutorials because I would love to get better at using Hexagon.  I do have to say that I think the music you chose for your promos was the best I've heard for a promo in quite a while.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,135
    edited January 2017

Just a quick render of my new environment (Halfway Up the Mountain) - I glued the Ridge Walk on the back of it to see how that would look. A little postwork to add some extra clouds with some Deviney brushes.

FB-HW-RW.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 747K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Cool!  I always thought those two sets sort of belonged together on the "Road to Enlightment"  Perhaps a top of mountain monastery needs to be considered. Thanks Melanie.

I hope you plan to do more Hexagon tutorials because I would love to get better at using Hexagon.

I do plan to do a few more short tips for Hexagon,  if it helps. But a full comprehensive tutorial series,  I probably don't have time for.    I found the GeeksatPlay tutorials for Hexagon very useful for learning the software.  I remember them being free,  but not sure if they still are. I'll do a quick search to find the ones I'm talking about. 

edited January 2017

GeekatPlay tutorials used to be by Gary Miller,  but it looks like Vladimir Chopine may have acquired the rights to use and distribute them.  There's both the old Miller ones and Chopine's new ones on Youtube.  

Here's an example of one by Garry Miller.   www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaL_0a9r9JM

Here's an example of one by Chopine:    www.youtube.com/watch?v=azlWFMlxtkY

The geek at play page link is here. The site focuses on other software as well.   These will definitely help get you started in Hexagon modelling.  http://www.geekatplay.com/hp3.php  ;

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • GeekatPlay tutorials used to be by Gary Miller,  but it looks like Vladimir Chopine may have acquired the rights to use and distribute them.  There's both the old Miller ones and Chopine's new ones on Youtube.  

Here's an example of one by Garry Miller.   www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaL_0a9r9JM

Here's an example of one by Chopine:    www.youtube.com/watch?v=azlWFMlxtkY

The geek at play page link is here. The site focuses on other software as well.   These will definitely help get you started in Hexagon modelling.  http://www.geekatplay.com/hp3.php  ;

Ah, I'm familiar with GeekatPlay.  I've even seen one of the videos that you linked.  Not the Old Building one which actually looks kind of cool so I'll  have to watch that one.  While I have watched several longer tutorials on YouTube, I love the short little tutorials that give a quick tidbit of information that seems to always get lost in larger tutorials.  Like that bit about making things solid in your quick room tutorial.  I've watcher several Hexagon tutorials and even followed along.  Yet, none of them specifically mentioned making things solid like you did in your tutorial.  I know how to do that in Blender.  I figured there had to be a quick way to do it in Hexagon and yet it completely escaped me as to how.  Now thanks to that quick tutorial of yours I know where it is.  :)

I can only imagine the work involved if you did a long drawn out tutorial on how to make some grand multiroom set complete with environment.  I would think it would be a nightmare trying to do a video tutorial of something that large.  While I love watching those, I imagine they are a pain to produce and take much longer than the hour or so of playtime that those tutorials run.  There is a lot to be said for those quick, short tutorials that give you insight on the small things that everyone should know how to do but seems to get lost in the larger tutorials, though, either because the people doing the tutorial thinks you should already know how to do it or because they just don't think of it.

I remember watching a tutorial for making something in Hexagon that was an hour long and, while it was a good tutorial and quite informative and I was able to make the project, the major thing I walked away from that tutorial was knowing how to make a custom palette of tools in Hexagon.  I hadn't learned how to do that in any other tutorial and it was a huge deal as it saves me a lot of time now when I'm working on a project to have a custom palette of tools that I'm using constantly in that project.  It would have been nice if someone had had a short tutorial specifying how to do something like that.

I would love to see a quick and dirty tutorial on how you make a landscape though.  That is one thing I would love to be able to do but I haven't quick figured out how to do some things in Hexagon that would make it easier, I think, or I'm just being dense.  :)

Oh, by the way, you have a very nice voice for videos.  Clear and understandable. :)  

I agree with KM the shorter more focused video tutorials work very well for me.  I like the longer ones as well but tend to consider them more of an overview unless I am following along in a step by step kind of thing.  The shorter ones are generally just enough for me to grasp what I need to.  Of course, there are nights where I curl up with the headphones  and watch a couple hours worth of short clips lol.

I would love to see a quick and dirty tutorial on how you make a landscape though.  That is one thing I would love to be able to do but I haven't quick figured out how to do some things in Hexagon that would make it easier, I think, or I'm just being dense.  :)

You would use the displacement brush.  But for big Landscapes,  you would be better off to pick Bryce or Carrara before Hexagon because you can import or generate heightmaps. .  There's also Terragen and WorldMachine for generating large terrains. Any of the programs that have heightmap generation work well for this.   There's also Vue though you need the Infinite version to output the results of a proedural terrain.  Hexagon does have a displacement tool  and it can be used to finesse a mesh into a terrain shape and works well for fine tuning placement, same tool one would use to make morphs, and you could use it to make a customized terrain.  Definitely could make a video showing the technique.

Finally had chance to do a quick render with Halfway up the Mountain.  Lots of nooks and crannies to play with on this one, lovely set.  And I haven't even used the stairs yet lol. No postwork on this one yet

• There is not a lot one can do with my choice, but I like it. Perhaps there could be an add-on for this containing papers, ledgers, etc. After all, a trial takes place here smiley

By Day.jpg
    1828 x 893 - 250K
  • Don't forget the gavel!  Every judge needs a gavel.  :)

• Knew I forgot something LOL

edited December 2017

I have a second Christmas Holiday Gift for you all.   Candles Light The Darkness.  It's a Daz Studio Iray scene file.  

Enjoy the Christmas Holiday Season and Have a Happy and Safe New Year. 

http://www.sharecg.com/v/86838/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Candles-Light-The-Darkness-DS-Iray-Scene

Please Note:  There are alot of tiny little lights in the scene that require calculations plus a reflective floor surface.  I would have liked to have this for 3Delight too,  and  I will continue to support 3Delight.  yet due to the fact that this is primarily candle light emitters I don't know if it can be done in 3Delight. 

Last year I released this set titled "Candles Light the Darkness"  as a Christmas gift to the community.    If you're new around here it may be of interest to you and available for download at sharecg.   Everyone have a great and safe Holiday / Christmas season.  All the best in the New Year.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • Up the lumens a bit to the foreground candles,  and added a bit of bloom.

Iray version with a bit of bloom.