May 2024 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Using Props and Push Modifiers/Deformers

New User's Challenge - May 2024

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

As with the previous months, we are breaking down each month into 2 different challenges. A Beginner Challenge and then also an Intermediate Challenge.
So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General
  • Or if you have not participated in the May Action / Using Props challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics
  • Or if you have already participated in the May Action / Using Props Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Closing date for both is May 31st 2024

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread: Challenge Rules

They apply for both versions of the challenge

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,067
    edited May 2

Beginner Challenge:
    "Action / Using Props"

This month's focus will be action with an emphasis on interaction with props. Your characters' actions, or the props they are using or interacting with, should be a major aspect of your image. As always, posing techniques, composition, and lighting will be important considerations as well.

Some Inspiration:
    Digital Art Action Scenes
    Human Action Poses
    Action Photography
    The Fundamentals of Action Photography
    The Best Sports Photos of 2016

While we encourage you to create your own poses from scratch for this contest, many of the pose sets available in the store can offer some great inspiration on how to use props in active situations!

To fit the theme of "Action & Props," your render could depict anything from a melee to a barbecue, or from a pop concert to a masquerade ball, or even a bar room brawl. The key points are that it must include some sort of dynamic movement or activity, and that it must involve interaction between figures and props (tools, weapons, or any sort of objects being manipulated).

Tutorials

How to Make Your Own Props in Daz Studio
    How To Create A Smart Prop in Daz Studio
    Daz 101: Posing
    Pinning, Posing and the Active Pose Tool
    Daz Studio Animation Tutorial: Step by Step

Prior  Action / Using Props Challenges:

May, 2023

May, 2022

May, 2021

May, 2020

May, 2019

May, 2018

May, 2017

May, 2016

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Intermediate Challenge:
    "Using Modifiers and Deformers"

This is a general render challenge with the focus on using Modifiers and/or Deformers within your action scene. We are providing you with some links on the topics from a variety of sources. Utilizinging modifiers and deformers well can add that extra touch of realism to help create a dynamic looking and fluid scene. It is a fundamental skill for those wishing to show movement, customize items to better suit the use within a scene, or to fix issues such as pokethrough.

*If participating in the Intermediate Challenge, please be sure to list what item(s) within your scene you have modified/deformed*

General Information:

Push Modifier / Push Modifier Weight Node

Smoothing Modifier (Also covers deformers)

Deformers

Generally, push modifiers, smoothing modifiers, and deformers can all be used to manipulate existing geometry to change it's shaping. You could use a Push Modifier to make Genesis 8 pregnant or to make a dent in an object. You could use the smoothing modifier to show a face smooshing up from a punch (like a freeze frame of the hit) or to show pressure on a matress or couch. You can use a deformer to change the shape of a character, to change the shape or damage a prop, or to fix pokethrough or issues between items. There is an unlimited amount of things that can be done with the 3 and a lot of advanced topics to using the 3 as well but hopefully this will give you a better basic understanding of how to add them and how they can be used.

Handy Products to Use to help with using the Modifiers or Deformers :

Mesh Grabber Bundle by ManFriday - Individual Bundle Items also Sold Separately. 
    InstaEdit by Callidus Simia
    Ghost Dynamics by KindredArts

Prior Modifiers and Deformers Challenges:

May, 2023

May, 2022

May 2021

May, 2020

May, 2019

May, 2018

May, 2017

May, 2016

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,167

Tried to get a start for this month here.  Going to have to see if I can find some props to litter the floor of the sewer system we are in.

may2024a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 597K

Nice start!

edited May 12

Version B here.

Noticed that the hellhound that is on point was clipping into the floor so I did some tweeking of the beast's pose and ajusted the camera to keep it in frame.

I also added some burning papers drifting in the air coming from the alcove behind the character.

Edit - Accedently attached the wrong file this morning.  The right one is attached now.

may2024b.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 631K
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on

Version C here.

Did some more tweeking of the beast's pose to reduce the clip though of the feet, along with doing the same for the troll behind the beast.

Added more light sources in the form of the overhead lights in the alcove the papers I added last verion are coming from, and the sewer water that I converted into toxic sludge via texture work.

Did some more texture work in the form of the troll's clothes, and some things in the background.

may2024c.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 674K

I rather liked the mood in version B.

More light is good as it helps seeing what actually happens, but maybe the green sludge is a bit too "flashy". That kind of green is very visible so it attacts the viewer's eyes, which distracts it from the main elements of the scene (beast and troll), and all the light reflections make the beast look a bit "plastic".

Of course my opinion might change with the next iteration of the pic, especially if you intend to add a focus point on the left side of the pic.

Went back in last night to have a look at the sludge, and had lifted it from its starting position way to much so I lowered it from about 98 which looked to me like it was just under the edge of the walkway the beast/ troll are on (the edge is just out of frame) down to 65 so that there isn't as much of the sludge being reflected by the sewer wall while still having about as much of the glow from it cast on the beast/troll.

Still haven't decided on anything to slip into the lower left part.  Maybe see if I can get a shadow of something/someone being cast without overwelming the lighting I have.

Any how here's version D.

may2024d.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 647K