May 2018 - Daz3D New User Challenge: Action & Props

Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

New User's Challenge - May 2018

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

"Action and Props"

This month's focus will be action with an emphasis on interaction with props. Your characters' actions, or the props they are using or interacting with, should be a major aspect of your image. As always, posing techniques, composition, and lighting will be important considerations as well.

Here are some useful links:

For some inspiration:
Digital Art Action Scenes
Fighting Poses
Action Poses
Dynamic Poses

May 2017 New User Contest (Action & Props)

May 2016 New User Contest (Action & Props)
May 2015 New User Contest (action)
September 2012 New User Contest (props)
Tips for composing action photographs (can also be applied to renders)
The Fundamentals of Action Photography
Best Sports Photos of 2016

Finally, while we encourage you to create your own poses from scratch for this contest, many of the pose sets available in the store can offer some great inspiration on how to use props in active situations!

To fit the theme of "Action & Props," your render could depict anything from a melee to a barbecue, or from a pop concert to a masquerade ball. The key points are that it must include some sort of dynamic movement or activity, and that it must involve interaction between figures and props (tools, weapons, or any sort of objects being manipulated).

How to Use Your Software:
Software is often updated, and online tutorials and information often demonstrate older versions of the software. The software version you are using may differ in User Interface and tools available. Please share links to reference material that you have found helpful in the Challenge thread.

in DAZ Studio
Daz Documentation Center [Wiki] [Associated YouTube Video]
The Daz Studio Timeline Explained
How to Make Your Own Props in Daz Studio
How To Create A Smart Prop in Daz Studio
Importing Props Into Daz Studio
Daz 101: Posing
Pinning, Posing and the Active Pose Tool

DAZ YouTube Channel:  Lots of video tutorials on various subjects

in Poser
Parenting a Prop to a Character
Poser Smart Props Basics
Pose and Editing Tools 101
Artistic Posing Techniques for 3D Human Figures - Very in Depth

in Carrara
What Content Can I Use in Carrara? (Using DS and Poser Props)
Dartanbeck's simple method of character animation (Carrara Cafe article, great for those who prefer illustrated written tutorials)
Huge list of helpful forum links (scroll to Animation and Posing section) If you have a problem, your answer might be here!
Carrara 8 Puppeteer
Carrara 3D Tutorial - Posing a Figure
Posing in Carrara
Posing Tips - Carrara Cafe

in Bryce
While it is not possible to pose things in Bryce, you are welcome to do your posing in another program such as DAZ Studio or Poser, then export and render in Bryce. For information on how to use the Bryce bridge to import a DS scene into Bryce: http://brycebasics.blogspot.com/2009/12/using-daz-studio-with-bryce.html

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current challenge rules, please see this thread : Challenge Rules

Closing Date: May 31st 2018

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Comments

• WandererWanderer Posts: 956

This is going to be very challenging. Kind of wishing I could go back and do my fire dancer for this month. lol.. Anyway, good luck everyone. Hope to see some renders in here soon. I have no idea what I'll do this time. A lot of information to review yet. 

@Kismet2012 - You've been very helpful in the past. I look forward to working with you this month. 

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161

Here we are with my start for this month, Aiming for something like Shadowrun meets Stargate. So far the only prop interaction is a guard firing from behind cover at our location (don't know if they're hoping to get some ricochets going on in the area the camera's at since they're just hitting the floor at this time. But then they are leaning around from behind the side of the structure the gate is perched on so who knows.)

may2018a.png
    1072 x 750 - 795K
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

Here we are with my start for this month, Aiming for something like Shadowrun meets Stargate. So far the only prop interaction is a guard firing from behind cover at our location (don't know if they're hoping to get some ricochets going on in the area the camera's at since they're just hitting the floor at this time. But then they are leaning around from behind the side of the structure the gate is perched on so who knows.)

Good start, though I feel the scene might be a bit too dark, I can't even see there is someone firing, just the bloom and the shots.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited May 2018

Way to start us off, Shinji Ikari 9th.  Looking forward to where you take this.

My initial thought is something sports related, but I might change my mind after I go through some of the links.  Of course, one of the links is "best sports photos of 2016."  May will be a fun month.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

Selina said:

Can I join in?

Absolutely. Please join in.  Can't wait to see the endangered fly.  

• daybirddaybird Posts: 645
    Selina said:

Can I join in?

Every time. the more the better! :)

Noswen said:

Good start, though I feel the scene might be a bit too dark, I can't even see there is someone firing, just the bloom and the shots.

Must agree, there is not much to see. Have you checked your tone mapping in your render settings? I have the feeling there is a wrong setting active. Best way to check that, is to click in tone mapping  on the default button in the right upper corner. 

default.jpg
    860 x 602 - 128K
  • Here we are with my start for this month, Aiming for something like Shadowrun meets Stargate. So far the only prop interaction is a guard firing from behind cover at our location (don't know if they're hoping to get some ricochets going on in the area the camera's at since they're just hitting the floor at this time. But then they are leaning around from behind the side of the structure the gate is perched on so who knows.)

the set is pretty close to the original

great job so far

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

@Shinji Ikari 9th - Nice start.  I have to agree with @Noswen that the scene is dark at this point.  I could not see the shooter either.

@Selina - Please join us.  You have a great concept and I am looking forward to what you create.

Here's version b. Added a fire in the room the camera is in just outside of the frame to get some light in the far corner of said room, scaled down the muzzle flash of the shooter's rifle, tried to adjust the exposure value, set off a blast behind the shooter and tried to make it look like dust at least was kicked up, and added a shadowrunner preping a spell to unleash on the shooter.

may2018b.png
    1072 x 750 - 1M
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 645

Here's version b. Added a fire in the room the camera is in just outside of the frame to get some light in the far corner of said room, scaled down the muzzle flash of the shooter's rifle, tried to adjust the exposure value, set off a blast behind the shooter and tried to make it look like dust at least was kicked up, and added a shadowrunner preping a spell to unleash on the shooter.

Ah, much better now.I like the added prop and light behind the shooter, it looks like sun rays who come through a  opening.Only the area who touch the stargate in another angle, destroy the effect a little. If it's possible, turn off that area.

The shadowrunner works well and the spell she cast looks awesome (can I ask at the product? Think I will set it on my wishlist. :) )

A little correction on her floating left feet and she looks perfect in place and pose.

Great improvement Shinji, I look forward where you let this scene go.

daybird said:

Ah, much better now.I like the added prop and light behind the shooter, it looks like sun rays who come through a  opening.Only the area who touch the stargate in another angle, destroy the effect a little. If it's possible, turn off that area.

The shadowrunner works well and the spell she cast looks awesome (can I ask at the product? Think I will set it on my wishlist. :) )

A little correction on her floating left feet and she looks perfect in place and pose.

Daybird beat me to the comments. 

I would suggest you also check her right knee and foot.  It might be the camera angle but I cannot quite tell if her knee is making contact with the floor and the toes of her boot could be intersecting the floor.

A really nice improvement on the lighting.

daybird said:

The spell is from Shadowcaster Spellribbons daybird, and you might want to grab it asap, it's 70% off at the time of this posting, but I'm not sure how long it's going to be that way, looks like it's part of the new Wild & Crazy promo DAZ has going.

edited May 2018
    daybird said:

The spell is from Shadowcaster Spellribbons daybird, and you might want to grab it asap, it's 70% off at the time of this posting, but I'm not sure how long it's going to be that way, it's part of the Wild & Crazy promo DAZ has going right now.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
    edited March 2021

edited May 2018

@Selina - off to very good start.  Very impressed that you will be modeling your house fly.  

Here are some Hexagon-related resources that might be helpful.

1) starting with smoothed cube and extruding - modeling a wild space creature in hexagon - https://youtu.be/rPEruO1ioMM

2) starting with outline silhouette - modeling a bear in hexagon - https://youtu.be/gTHYfixlGSQ

Hope it is helpful.

EDIT:  and there are some free bug models available in the following thread, if you don't want to model your own.  Not sure if a housefly is one of them.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/231346/free-bugs-available

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2021

• WandererWanderer Posts: 956

Shinji - You've already heard anything valuable I had to say other than I appreciate your improvements. I will say that I think a good lesson from this is that while your first image may be more true to the moment, the second more closely approaches art. In combat, there are many times when all you will see of your foe is the muzzle flash. Your second version, however, is much more interesting to look at because the eye has more to do in exploring the action of your scene. 

@Selina - Welcome aboard. Modeling your own fly is a superb project. I hope, as a relative newb at modeling, to learn a lot. I managed to create a few relatively simple props, but this is something more. I await with eager anticipation your progress here. And, if you don't mind, please continue to share your process. I admire your devotion to the sake of learning it. No guts, no glory.

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

@Shinji: That looks much better, I can see it now smiley

@Selina: Best of luck with the modelling. I took a quick look in Hexagon a month or so back myself and could feel my brain melting laugh

I need to look at some of the inspiration links and come up with an idea for what I want to do for this month, but I'll be joining in once I do.

• LimunLimun Posts: 182

Hello :-)

can i start with something like this simple spheres , rings and lights?

idea , sugestions .... 

Thanks 

april2018.png
    645 x 762 - 420K
    edited March 2021

@Selina - You look like you are off to a good start.  Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

@Limun - Welcome to the New User Challenge.  You certainly have an interesting start.  I am looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Here's version c. Tried to adjust the first shadowrunner's position to get her feet more on the ground, gave them a team mate who is just realising that they nead to reload with the last of the rounds they've been firing heading down range and the resulting casing on the ground near them. Finally I tried to tweek the dust that was kicked up from the explosion in the last version.

may2018c.png
    1072 x 750 - 1M
    edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• dstuffledstuffle Posts: 38
    edited May 2018

My first draft for this contest.

one less charle.jpg
    900 x 675 - 582K
    Post edited by dstuffle on
  • dstuffledstuffle Posts: 38
    edited May 2018

Sorry double post. :(

Post edited by dstuffle on
    Selina said:

Hi Shinji Ikari 9th,

Hope you don't mind my commenting on your image, but;

• the girl's knee is floating above the floor; and
    • are you able to add some kind of alpha fresnel to the ellipsoid laser shots to make them look as though they are moving?

Otherwise I like the glow of the stargate and the laser contraptions as well as the ceiling lights.

Selina

Thanks for your feedback Selina.  And for the record, what you're calling laser shots are tracer rounds that are in motion. The reason that the second shadow runner's rifle does not have a flash is due to the fact that it's already died down after the last round left the barrel. As it is he's having to reload for crying out loud.

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    edited May 2018

XD Shinji Ikari 9th Not everybody has dealt with the Shadows of Seatle. Ever tried to explain such things to a Decker?

So here is some kind of Concept board for my attempt this month. I've not implemented the props or final poses yet. I just wanted to move the idea out of my head.

For those who didn't see my thoughts on this composition. Here is my use of the third grit. I'm using a visual style often called, diagonal. Which means I use the environment to create lines, that draw the attention to a point of interest.

May2018_01_Concept.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 649K
    May2018_ThirdGrit.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 546K
    Post edited by HighElf on
  • HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    Selina said:

..the story so far! - UPDATE

I've discovered more:

1. Surface Modelling; Smooth - gives many different options for rounding out your mesh; simply beautiful!
    2. Dynamic Geometry; Full DG Mode - allows you to experiment and tryout different mesh manipulations before committing to anything; fantastic!

I don't know why I was a little anxious about this I'm having a ball...

​Selina

Uhh. I really love where this is going. I've dabbled a bit with Hexagon too. And I like it. I wish they would finalize the Bridge for Hexagon to DAZ. And bring out, a more current documentation or tutorial series.