Omni Shader Hair Thread

Comments

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,198

Yeah I didnt mean to add any extra confusion. All of it was the omni shader :)

• jkjjkj Posts: 22
    edited February 29

working with the Holo hair. All the "ebony" colors come out the same. in fact, all are dark brown and none are black. the other colors work fine. Testing with Victoria9

do i need to adjust something?

Also, is there some way to adjust the head size fitting as it looks rather like a wig by default?

thanks for any help.

Post edited by jkj on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,813
    edited February 29

those new Hair Shader are a huge win. Thank you.

OmniHairSHD_02.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 770K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 405
    edited February 29

Testing out the new Kara hair, and these Omni shaders are so nice. Finally a DS update I don't have mixed feelings about installing. cheeky

(They're on his eyebrows and eyelashes too, although I did feel a little bad about having to change out the card eyebrows that suit him perfectly for ones that suit less well, but look prettier...)

milos-ponytail.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 187K
    Post edited by Pax Asteriae on
    edited February 29

"working with the Holo hair. All the "ebony" colors come out the same. in fact, all are dark brown and none are black. the other colors work fine. Testing with Victoria9

Also, is there some way to adjust the head size fitting as it looks rather like a wig by default?

thanks for any help."

They are definitely different shades of black.  Chances are you have something going on in your lighting that is making it look that way. As the hair is pretty reflective, it takes lighting very differently. I think your best best is to use a black and white hdri and see them under neutral lighting first. 

You can also use "Just Black" or "Just Black Intense"  click on the surface pane and turn off the melanin on all the surfaces. It is set at 1, so slide it down to 0.  The melanin gives off a red tone in the backlighting that you may be seeing.

Therare no size adjustment morphs. This is one of those, meant to look like a wig.  I have found that using the morphs to adjust the bangs length and hair length though does change the overall look of the hair into something less wig like though.  Id start there :)

Post edited by chevybabe25 on

Loving all these beautiful images guys!!!

chevybabe25 said:

"working with the Holo hair. All the "ebony" colors come out the same. in fact, all are dark brown and none are black. the other colors work fine. Testing with Victoria9

thanks for any help."

They are definitely different shades of black.  Chances are you have something going on in your lighting that is making it look that way. As the hair is pretty reflective, it takes lighting very differently. I think your best best is to use a black and white hdri and see them under neutral lighting first. 

You can also use "Just Black" or "Just Black Intense"  click on the surface pane and turn off the melanin on all the surfaces. It is set at 1, so slide it down to 0.  The melanin gives off a red tone in the backlighting that you may be seeing.

Therare no size adjustment morphs. This is one of those, meant to look like a wig.  I have found that using the morphs to adjust the bangs length and hair length though does change the overall look of the hair into something less wig like though.  Id start there :)

ok thanks for the answer. This is what i get with "just black" with the built-in standard HDRI. I'll try your tweak suggestions and see how it goes.

• NewGuyNewGuy Posts: 149
    edited February 29

Testing Revolution - Omni Shader on Talia Hair... Darn it Chevybabe (and DAZ), making me spend more money than I wanted to this week!  wink

Friday Talia Hair Omni Shader Test.jpg
    1563 x 1563 - 809K
    Post edited by NewGuy on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,813
    edited February 29

One more:

OmniHairSHD_03.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 849K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

BUT!!! I cant see it @ NewGuy!

Very nice Masterstroke! Im so happy to see  everyone having such great results :)

• NewGuyNewGuy Posts: 149
    edited February 29

chevybabe25 said:

BUT!!! I cant see it @ NewGuy!

Hopefully it's fixed now.  My posting skills are still a WIP.  lol! 

Post edited by NewGuy on

chevybabe25 said:

turn off the melanin on all the surfaces.

Hey thanks for the suggestion. Probably a B&W HDRI would have also worked, but some will need to be color. In any case, reducing the melanin worked well. Turn to zero as suggested produces black when using the preset "Just Black".

So i adjusted it back to 0.3 which adds in a small amount of non-black at the edges, and looks natural. Also i reduced the IOR to 1.25

the result;

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited February 29

Love this new shader. Nice subtle colour variation.

Scarlett portrait.jpg
    2160 x 2160 - 1M
    Post edited by willowfan on

Very nice!!!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,210

Thank you, nice people, for the postive comments on my image. smiley It encourages me to do more.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,363
    edited March 2

This started out as a test of the Omnishader on the hair of one of my WH40K RP characters (she's one of my existing characters who does use an appropriate strand based hair), but got a bit derailed into a framing and lighting that didn't really show it very well, but I like it anyway.

Mira Longbuck, Ratling salvager (for "Ratling" you can mostly read "barely sanctioned sub-species of humans that serves as a loose analogue of halflings")

Gallery Link

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,884
    edited February 29

My first try with https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-nordic-knots-hair-for-genesis-9 in Daz Studio Beta 4.22.1.88

As the hair is dForce, so I have tried simulation with some interesting pose of Calypso 9.

Calypso9omni01.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 221K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,210

Artini said:

My first try with https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-nordic-knots-hair-for-genesis-9 in Daz Studio Beta 4.22.1.88

As the hair is dForce, so I have tried simulation with some interesting pose of Calypso 9.

That kind of thing usually happens if you simulate from memorized pose. Try disabling that and simulate from her final pose instead. I admit, I haven't tried any exotic pose like that, though, so I don't know what the results will be.

edited February 29

LOL i think that needs some more time to simulate is my guess :) or like barbult said, use simulate with gravity instead.

Ok, thanks for the tips.

Yes, I have simulated from the memorized pose,

• jd641jd641 Posts: 429

barbult said:

Nordic Knots and Halo Hair

Most of the time I can guess what morphs are being used but I'm at a total loss at who you used here, looks fanstatic though. I hope you don't if I ask you who/what you used?

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,087
    edited February 29

My first try with it. This is using variants of Brunette on Inga hair, stock G9 fiber eyebrows and Beard Boss.

johnrandom.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 976K
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896

Using my Elder character and beard/hair set:

edited February 29
    Mercia9omni01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 303K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • DarkEleganceDarkElegance Posts: 347
    edited February 29

Hello

So I took a gander and decided to buy.

I read through here, noting that you have to update your base resources etc. Did that. Applied that first to the hair I was using. It looked pretty good.
    I then went to the omni-shaders and...that has been nothing but a problem.

The two screen grabs are one, with just the omni-shader resource. NOT The  "revolution" shaders.
    The second is what happens when I try to apply the "revolution-Omni hair shaders"
    BEFORE the "revolution-omnihair shaders" It looks good. But when I try the shaders it goes to it looking like its ribbons.
    BTW...Both of those screen shots are the exact same view port settings.
    NOTHING changed but clicking one of the relovution-omni-hair shaders. The brown one, the base setting from the default resources. The grey one was suppose to be a blue black shader from revolution hair shaders. OH! and its the NVIDIA preview

the hair used is steven hair for gen 8

Help?

omni hair base shader in resources.png
    1277 x 923 - 797K
    after trying the omni shaders.png
    1251 x 861 - 802K
    Post edited by DarkElegance on

That isnt a strand based hair.  Omni shader can not use opacity. It isnt doing anything in your first picture.

edited February 29

@DarkElegance:

Yes, I have that problem, too, with https://www.daz3d.com/ardamir-hair-for-genesis-9

The hair you are using is not compatible with Omni shader.

Would be great to have a list of the hair compatible with Omni shader.

Post edited by Artini on

Also there are live updates for both the nordic knots ( ivars head call outs ) and for the white preset in the rev shaders overwriting simulation settings. Get em while they are hot lol :)

edited February 29

Right now, there is a list of vendors that make strand hair in this thread. if they have "honorable mentions at the bottom, then they have limited hairs that use that technology" . I have asked for some better categorization because there is A LOT of confusion around what is and isnt meant for the omni shader. But that all takes time.

• Artini said:

@DarkElegance:

Yes, I have that problem, too, with https://www.daz3d.com/ardamir-hair-for-genesis-9

The hair you are using is not compatible with Omni shader.

Would be great to have a list of the hair compatible with Omni shader.

I have now tried this on a good number of my hairs, including "dforce" hairs and so far....It doesnt seem to work. Or, (this is odd) on one of the dforce hairs, it worked and then showed the "ribbons".