Omni Shader Hair Thread

Just thought I'd start this so everyone gets to discuss it.

Experiences so far; I bought a shader a few weeks back using some similar parameters. But I hope they get explained better in the blog post video.

As I render furred characters most often, so marking accuracy is often my goal, and the few tests I've done have not been kind to that.

OsoFox Omni Test 1.png
666 x 533 - 285K

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited February 28

...my #1 & 2 questions:  does it require the latest update of the Daz General release (4.22.0.16) and newest Nvidia drivers?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,194

You will need to update to the newest version of Daz. Im not sure about drivers.

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 444
    edited February 28

So here are some of my tests.

The way for clear markings is by putting the Melanin and Pheomelanin to 0.0 and Hair colour weight to 1.00

To get accurate fur colour is to put the Base Colour from Root to Tip to multiply or overlay. I will test the different layer modes in time.

Here are pictures of my tests and the best furshader I've made so far.

EDIT: https://help.autodesk.com/view/ARNOL/ENU/?guid=arnold_core_ac_standard_hair_html this has a lot of terms found in the new shaders explained.

OsoFox Omni Test 2.png
    666 x 533 - 286K
    OsoFox Omni Test 3.png
    666 x 533 - 311K
    OsoFox Omni Test 4.png
    666 x 533 - 291K
    OsoFox Omni Test 5.png
    666 x 533 - 478K
    OsoFox Omni Test Overlay.png
    666 x 533 - 436K
    omnishader1.png
    330 x 801 - 52K
    Post edited by Eboshijaana on
  • ElorElor Posts: 691

Newbie question: is it still useful to have 'Line Zero dForce Strand Hair Shaders' or does this new hair shader provide the same weight reduction benefit if applied (if possible) on older Strand-Based Hairs ?

• Elor said:

Newbie question: is it still useful to have 'Line Zero dForce Strand Hair Shaders' or does this new hair shader provide the same weight reduction benefit if applied (if possible) on older Strand-Based Hairs ?

Same light weight but a COMPLETELY different shader.

edited February 28

They are completely different. Real Hair shaders were dual lobe presets.  Line zero was the old dual lobe with the added benefit of turning the uvs sideways to utilize the newly implemented curves. It also included a script to convert hairs from tesselation 3 to tesslation 0.

Revolution shaders are for the new omni one ( also utilizing curves), which is 1000% better than either of the old ones.  For more information on the omni shader: https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/materials-and-rendering/latest/materials.html

Please be aware, that certain parts are not included or do not work with curves.  

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803

Can I use the Omni Shader with any strand based hair?

yes. but older hairs you will need to manually set the render and viewport lines tesselation to 0

Thank you :)

Just installed DS 4.22.0.16 in order to use the Omni Hair Shader.
    Quote:
    "An update to Default Resources is required to obtain the Shader Preset used to apply the shader to Strand-Based Hair"

Where do I find this?

Error Message when loading Omni Hair Shader:
    "/data/Daz 3D/Built-in Content/OmniSurface/OmniHair Root-Tip Blend.dsf"
    ​What do I'm missing?

edited February 28

Yes. You need to download the default resources too :). You should be able to find it in dim.

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850

chevybabe25 said:

They are completely different. Real Hair shaders were dual lobe presets.  Line zero was the old dual lobe with the added benefit of turning the uvs sideways to utilize the newly implemented curves. It also included a script to convert hairs from tesselation 3 to tesslation 0.

Revolution shaders are for the new omni one ( also utilizing curves), which is 1000% better than either of the old ones.  For more information on the omni shader: https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/materials-and-rendering/latest/materials.html

Please be aware, that certain parts are not included or do not work with curves.  

Thanks for the answer. Great, that you follow the development of what is possible.

You are very welcome :) 

Thanks again. Now it works

• Destiny's DesignDestiny's Design Posts: 60
    edited February 28

I mean, the new shader speaks for itself really, the light plays on it so well, I had to whip up a quick appreciation render 

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-holo-hair-for-genesis-9

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • hopefully the forum settles down eventually and shows it in the proper aspect ration

• ElorElor Posts: 691
    edited February 28

Destiny's Design said:

hopefully the forum settles down eventually and shows it in the proper aspect ration

If you set the width at 800 pixels, the aspect-ratio should be preserved and hopefully, it will. You can access the window with the parameters of your picture by double-clicking on it while editing your message.

Here's a tentative with your render (I'll remove it once you have succeded in editing your own message smiley):

Post edited by Elor on
  • morrisonmpmorrisonmp Posts: 146

Another Newbie Question: How do you know if a hair is a "strand-based hair" or not?

Thanks.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982

It is a nice thing and all, but for the bulk of the hair products on the store are the older style hair, that need opacity maps to give the illusion of hair strands. This shader will be no good for those types of hair products, and right now there are not that many strand based / fibre mesh hair products since the tech for it is still relatively new.

• Is there an existing list anywhere on what Daz shop hairs are SBH?

Vendors that I know (other than myself)  make or have made strand hair:

Toyen

Oso3D

Redz

Propschic and Aidano

PhilW

HM

Aprilysh

On occasion I have seen strand hairs from different vendors including: Several by Linday,  a couple from Mihrelle,1 from CakeOne, Lady LittleFox,Vyusur, Valzheimer, Will Dupre, MAB and 3Diva.

If I have missed any, I can add them to this list.

• paulawp (marahzen) said:

Is there an existing list anywhere on what Daz shop hairs are SBH?

Yes, in the program selection, pick dForce Hair.

• HeleneHelene Posts: 111
    edited February 28

This is the link for the blog post about Omni Hair. (the one DAZ gives goes to the wrong page) It shows how to make hair in Maya, not how this new shader is used. 
    https://blog.daz3d.com/omnihair-shader-for-daz-studio/
    Can someone tell me then, is this https://www.daz3d.com/revolution--omni-shader-presets-for-strand-based-hairs
    just 10 Normal maps and a bunch of sliders? 
    Is there a better explanation of how this works?
    Thanks!

Post edited by Helene on

Hi Helene :)

Select the hair in the scene ( not the cap- most strand hairs are parented to a cap)  Select all the surfaces you want to change, then apply the shader preset. These are nice because theres a lot less thinking about what does what.Instead you can use them right away and get nice results.

edited February 28

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Is there an existing list anywhere on what Daz shop hairs are SBH?

At the moment the only way would be to do a search for strand based and fibremesh, and limit that the Genesis 8 and Genesis 9. From what I can gather there are under a 100 products that would be able to use this shader. There is one caveat some of the products that the search catches are not proper strand based hair.

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

chevybabe25 said:

Toyen

Oso3D

Redz

Propschic and Aidano

PhilW

HM

Aprilysh

On occasion I have seen strand hairs from different vendors including: Several by Linday,  a couple from Mihrelle,1 from CakeOne, Lady LittleFox,Vyusur, Valzheimer, Will Dupre, MAB and 3Diva.

Aren't the Outoftouch (OOT) hairs strand based?

edited February 28

lou_harper said:

chevybabe25 said:

Toyen

Oso3D

Redz

Propschic and Aidano

PhilW

HM

Aprilysh

Aren't the Outoftouch (OOT) hairs strand based?

Unfortunately there are no strand based / fibermesh hair products done by Outoftouch at the moment.

Out of Touch does geometry hairs. Same with most of Lindays dforce ones.

edited February 28

So here is my first go with this new fangled shader. Should recognize the hair, the brows and lashes are all using the shader.

Hair.jpg
    700 x 1400 - 790K

I was hoping for some pretty pictures!!! Love heart