virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thinkin, major carrara play time weekend.  holidays over means relax time.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    msteaka said:

Sound effect libraries are a good source..But I usually find I have to go searching for just the right sound or music anyway....Sometimes it is easier to just record your own special effects.... Since nobody sees the object that actually makes the sound..you can make up most sounds with items around the home and lots of imagination...Even the human voice can mimic a whole range of special effects....

Absolutely. And on this idea regarding "searching for the right sound", I actually go through my sounds collections (since there's really only so many ways to catalog and store them all) for a particular scene and, when I find one that works for part of what I'm doing, I copy it to a new folder named for that scene (scene meaning production time/story range, not individual Carrara scene! LOL) so that I have all of my main selected scenes in a single folder. If I'm still needing more sounds (by the end of that process) that I know I already have, I go searching again. Otherwise I just make them myself. 

bigh offers a link to Music Maker above, which has an excellent array of filters and effects to help make sounds just the way I want them, but I still cant find any actual sound collections aside from musical instruments from that company - of which I have a pretty nice collection. My Sony HD also has some nice audio effects and such. I bought the Platinum set, which came with Sony's Sound Forge, which is all about editing audio, but I've never even tried it yet. I was going to, but I've accidentally found that Movie HD had everything I needed for the sounds I was working with ;)

look under synthesizer
    Atmos

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited January 2016
    MistyMist said:

thinkin, major carrara play time weekend.  holidays over means relax time.

Sweet!

bigh said: look under synthesizer
    Atmos 

Cool. Thanks!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited January 2016

Hoping to get a bunch done this weekend myself. Hello Carrara! :)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

chores to finish before i can sit to play.  ... or can do chores tomorrow angeldevil

Monday. Put the chores off 'till Monday devil

total carrara immersion this weekend!!

one last cuppa tnite, waking up early to start tomorrow.  

no i7 yet, 2 cores, i'll need to start earlier  >.<

explosion modifiers ... was thinkin like how on Buffy she'd stake a vampire they'd explode into dust, even their clothes.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    Play around with it and see.
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079

I sometimes combine the object modifier "explode" with the object effect "blur" and a shader that has a spotty alpha or transparency to create smoke.  Trying to use clouds as smoke is difficult for me to manipulate, but I know lots of other people get better results that way.

teee heee  esploded the rybolt mechanical

a little too frenetic though. lol

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    diomede said:

I sometimes combine the object modifier "explode" with the object effect "blur" and a shader that has a spotty alpha or transparency to create smoke.  Trying to use clouds as smoke is difficult for me to manipulate, but I know lots of other people get better results that way.

great idea the spotty alpha thanks for that !

head wax said:
    diomede said:

combining modifiers?

strokes my imaginary van klondike beard/mustach

• dbdigital2dbdigital2 Posts: 270
    edited January 2016

A couple of pages back it was asked thoughts about Genesis 3  support for Carrara.  Personally I am of the mindset that we have V4 M4, Genesis, Genesis 2, do we really need Genesis 3?  Also if they are going to add Daz Connect to that mix, I would much rather they didn't then mess up Carrara with that junk.   I haven't bought a thing for Genesis 3, and I doubt I will at this point.  I don't see the need for it.  To me it feels like Daz made Genesis 3 to create a new category of content (that is largely incompatible with everything else) to buy nothing more.  It doesn't bring anything new to the table that I see.  Perhaps I am wrong....

What I would much rather see is bugs fixed and new features we have asked for.

Post edited by dbdigital2 on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited January 2016
    MistyMist said:
    head wax said:
    diomede said:

combining modifiers?

strokes my imaginary van klondike beard/mustach

Combining modifiers can be a lot of fun and can create some really odd and interesting shapes.  I made these images a while ago by just applying various modifiers in different orders to a couple basic shapes I made in the vertex modeler - I didn't have any goal in mind, I just kept playing with them until I got some cool looking results:

All six final shapes started out from the same vertex object which was just three tall slender cylinders (see attached screenshot).

Capture.JPG
    947 x 884 - 64K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

interesting shapes. looks suspiciously like chocolate, cheeky

i do have a goal in mind.  need special effects for scifi weapons and wormholes.

feels so natural to say fire phasers or punch it chewey.  'fire lasers' doesn't have oomph

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    MistyMist said:

interesting shapes. looks suspiciously like chocolate, cheeky

LOL - maybe you're just hungry? laugh

The interesting thing is that the textures I used were thre different all procedural metals, but when the modifiers were added and cranked up even the procedural textures streched crazily, so one now looks like glass, one kind of like colored glass and one like, as you said, chocolate.  At one point I was going to export them to OBJ (which permanently applies the modifiers) then import them back to Carrara and try unwrapping them to add the textures back on without distortion, but doing that resulted in insanely dense meshes that would have been a nightmare to unwrap.  Maybe I'll give it another shot now that I'm a little better at unwrapping.

wanted to try replicate on the infinite plane instead of stretching it to fit 300ft

worked out pretty good me thinks, 25 test renders later, lol

1 replicate autogrid infinite plane.JPG
    1080 x 748 - 108K
    1r replicate autogrid infinite plane.JPG
    1117 x 658 - 86K

thinkin - where to start to make a chewing gum with attitude face animation for Aiko3 or Aiko5  

tootsie pops lol

MistyMist said:

wanted to try replicate on the infinite plane instead of stretching it to fit 300ft

worked out pretty good me thinks, 25 test renders later, lol

When using the infinite plane, you can easily adjust the size of the tiling texture, by adjusting the size of the plane displayed in the Assembly room view. If it is pixelated, try making the plane smaller for instance.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited January 2016

HI misty,. :)

When you add an "infinite plane" to the scene,. it looks like it;'s just a plane, with visible edges and you can see the motion panel says it's 64ft or whatever,. 

But it's not.

It's infinite,. so,. if you use the camera tool to render an area of your scene, the infinite plane will be visible as fas as you can see,.it gets tiled repeatedly as if it was replicated.

so there's no advantage to adding an Infinite plane to a replicator,. it's already rendeibg to infinity,.

even if you placed you camera 1 mile up in the air, and did an area render,. you'd see the infinite plane exxtended to meet the horizon / sky 

Carrara's realistic sky editor also has a "Show ground" option which works in a simillar way,. it's just infinite.

OnfPlane1.jpg
    1528 x 830 - 169K
    OnfPlane2.jpg
    1525 x 831 - 146K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on

without the replicate would render the same?  (doh)

never needed to stretch it either?  double-doh

feels like i learned a lot this week.  smiley

Whoops! Missed the bit about replicating an infinite plane. Yeah, no point in that. I remember the infinite plane going way back to Raydream Studio 5, which didn't have replicators or anything like it.
    edited February 2016

tee hee.  autogrid replicated the spinning sphere.  turned on seamless.  

Post edited by Mistara on
  • MistyMist said:

tee hee.  autogrid replicated the spinning sphere.  turned on seamless.  

That's pretty cool looking.  I wonder if you stacked them vertically too, would you get sort of a kaleidoscope effect?

it has tiling for the 3 axiseez

thinkin, a target helper that's a scene compass, pointers to east, west, front back, etc.  hard to tell which direction the hot point is pointing

edited February 2016

thinkin, how to get the cloud layers to interact in scene. sky, not realistic sky.
    testing theory if max altitude is 100 inches, then cloud layer altitude of 40% is prolly 40 inches , dunno

wanted to show the ship reaching cruising altitude above the clouds

was tryin to lower the clouds altitude with the ship in frame.

Post edited by Mistara on

Cool tip about using that:

I remember when I first got Carrara and tried loading in a character into one of those large scenes made from the Wizard or Scenes browser - and the character just gets lost in that enormous scene, right? Check this out!

Load a character into the scene.

Select your camera, then Shift-Select your Character and type Ctrl + K to align the character to the camera.

Now either back off the camera a little bit or back the character away from the camera... either way - and easy way to use figures in Carrara's giant scenes!

it works like magic, thank so much for this tip!!

focussing on the next 3 things.

animating cloud layers in realistic sky
    m4 displacement map setup for carrara displacement
    put hair and cape on Aiko3 make em flutter in a breeze