i see send to origin, send working box, hotpoint to center

... eyelids crashing ... cant stay awake 

Post edited by Mistara on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193

Select the Target Helper Object first,

Shift-Select the object to move there,

Type Ctrl + K (Edit > Align)

In the dialog, select all of the axis you wish to align. Answer the rest,

Click Okay and, Bam!!! Aligned in all 3 axis!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thanks! taping those instructions to my monitor lol

Cool tip about using that:

I remember when I first got Carrara and tried loading in a character into one of those large scenes made from the Wizard or Scenes browser - and the character just gets lost in that enormous scene, right? Check this out!

Load a character into the scene.

Select your camera, then Shift-Select your Character and type Ctrl + K to align the character to the camera.

Now either back off the camera a little bit or back the character away from the camera... either way - and easy way to use figures in Carrara's giant scenes!

thinkin, robot on wheels like R2 will save on leg posing smiley

need to buils a sounds content library. like clanking, clinking, clunking, zapping

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,792
    MistyMist said:

thinkin, robot on wheels like R2 will save on leg posing smiley

need to buils a sounds content library. like clanking, clinking, clunking, zapping

And Sparrowhawk has a follow terrain plugin you can use 

thinkin - replace eyelashes with hair lashes.  need to do somethin bout the render buckets sticking so long over eyes

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

If you want to see how I set the eyelash and eyebrow hair up for A3/V3 and A4/V4 I do have the procedural skin sets I made at ShareCG. Since there are no image maps I made dynamic hair eyelashes and eyebrows for them.

A3/V3:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/82693/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-A3-V3-Procedural-Skin-Shaders

A4/V4:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/77436/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-V4-Procedural-Skin-Shader-and-hair

I was working on a set for Genesis and Genesis 2 as well, but lost don't have a computer I can use C8.5 on at the moment, but I can post some shots of my progress to show that with a little patience it can be done.

jpg
    jpg
    Warrior-sorceress.jpg
    1M
    jpg
    jpg
    Olympia Gen2-post.jpg
    1M
    Warrior-sorceress.jpg
    1200 x 1333 - 1M
    jpg
    jpg
    Olympia Gen2-post.jpg
    1M
    Olympia Gen2-post.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M

wishing carrara came with some sounds for like the ocean primitive, ambient wind noises for terrains, collision sounds for particle emitters. 

key sounds to collision detection like feet hitting a surface

MistyMist said:

wishing carrara came with some sounds for like the ocean primitive, ambient wind noises for terrains, collision sounds for particle emitters. 

That's what a video editor is for.

In theory, it would be nice if you had a program to do everything, but then the question is, what is everything? It would be different things to different people, and not everybody would agree with all the inclusions. You would get an incredible piece of bloatware that would be difficult for everyone to use.

Carrara is a 3D suite. It is not a photo editor or video editor and it should remain that way. There are some functions that make some people mistake it for a video or photo editor.

An example of an included function that seems to confuse some people is the ability to add audio. They wonder why they can't adjust this or that, or the clip length is limited or bogs down Carrara. The reason is simple. The ability to add audio isn't because it is a video editor or audio editor. It is to help aid in syncing audio to actions, such as lip syncing. The lower the bit-rate and shorter the audio clip length, the better Assembly room performance you will have. Once the render is done, you would combine the high quality version of your audio with the render. Shorter clips, both audio and video, generally work better when edited together for a finished animation.

Watch a dialogue scene in a movie. It doesn't matter what genre. It could be live-action or animated. Find a dialogue scene and watch it. I mean really watch it. How many times does the camera angle change? How fast do the angles change? Are there cut-aways to different things to denote passage of time, or to set the mood? These are all things that you need to consider when planning your video.

Long, lingering shots can work to establish a location, particularly if it is spectacular, visually interesting or to set the mood of the piece. Those shots are the rarity. Mostly, you will want shorter shots to keep the visuals interesting. The length will be dictated by the subject or action. Generally, I try to keep mine under twenty seconds, and sometimes as little as four or five seconds.

Dialogue scenes are especially important to get right, otherwise it turns into boring talking heads. Let's say you have a conversation between two people in a restaurant booth sitting across from each other. The opening shot in the scene would encompass the booth and some of the restaurant to establish who is in the scene and where it takes place. Depending on set and lighting, you could use to set the mood as well. This shot could be a little longer. As the scene progresses, you would alternate your camera to focus on either person A talking or Person B talking, and so it doesn't get repetitive, you would add some cut-aways to person B reacting to what person A is saying and vice/versa. You would also want to include some cut-aways of the full booth/restaurant once in awhile to keep the location of the scene established, but these wouldn't need to be as long as the opening shot.

Depending on how long the scene lasts, you could add other cut-away shots to indicate the passage of time, such as cut-aways showing other aspects of the restaurant. Customers leaving, waiters/waitresses cleaning tables, etc. If the booth is near a window, you could have a camera looking in from the street, which can also be used to set the scene, such as, is it a busy street, a small rural diner. Is it dark out, or is the weather good or bad, hot or cold, etc. etc. None of these shots need to be very long, and if you can tie them the flow of the dialogue, it will be even better.

searching for sound effects library, looks interesting, bit pricey though http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/detroitchopshop1-10

MistyMist said:

That's what a video editor is for.

In theory, it would be nice if you had a program to do everything, but then the question is, what is everything? It would be different things to different people, and not everybody would agree with all the inclusions. You would get an incredible piece of bloatware that would be difficult for everyone to use.

Carrara is a 3D suite. It is not a photo editor or video editor and it should remain that way. There are some functions that make some people mistake it for a video or photo editor.

An example of an included function that seems to confuse some people is the ability to add audio. They wonder why they can't adjust this or that, or the clip length is limited or bogs down Carrara. The reason is simple. The ability to add audio isn't because it is a video editor or audio editor. It is to help aid in syncing audio to actions, such as lip syncing. The lower the bit-rate and shorter the audio clip length, the better Assembly room performance you will have. Once the render is done, you would combine the high quality version of your audio with the render. Shorter clips, both audio and video, generally work better when edited together for a finished animation.

Watch a dialogue scene in a movie. It doesn't matter what genre. It could be live-action or animated. Find a dialogue scene and watch it. I mean really watch it. How many times does the camera angle change? How fast do the angles change? Are there cut-aways to different things to denote passage of time, or to set the mood? These are all things that you need to consider when planning your video.

Long, lingering shots can work to establish a location, particularly if it is spectacular, visually interesting or to set the mood of the piece. Those shots are the rarity. Mostly, you will want shorter shots to keep the visuals interesting. The length will be dictated by the subject or action. Generally, I try to keep mine under twenty seconds, and sometimes as little as four or five seconds.

Dialogue scenes are especially important to get right, otherwise it turns into boring talking heads. Let's say you have a conversation between two people in a restaurant booth sitting across from each other. The opening shot in the scene would encompass the booth and some of the restaurant to establish who is in the scene and where it takes place. Depending on set and lighting, you could use to set the mood as well. This shot could be a little longer. As the scene progresses, you would alternate your camera to focus on either person A talking or Person B talking, and so it doesn't get repetitive, you would add some cut-aways to person B reacting to what person A is saying and vice/versa. You would also want to include some cut-aways of the full booth/restaurant once in awhile to keep the location of the scene established, but these wouldn't need to be as long as the opening shot.

Depending on how long the scene lasts, you could add other cut-away shots to indicate the passage of time, such as cut-aways showing other aspects of the restaurant. Customers leaving, waiters/waitresses cleaning tables, etc. If the booth is near a window, you could have a camera looking in from the street, which can also be used to set the scene, such as, is it a busy street, a small rural diner. Is it dark out, or is the weather good or bad, hot or cold, etc. etc. None of these shots need to be very long, and if you can tie them the flow of the dialogue, it will be even better.

i have character looking out space station window.  cant decide to start inside pan out? or start outside and close in
    or pan around,  omg too many decisions  lol

audio in surround sound?!   how much ram i need to do that?

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited January 2016
    MistyMist said:

searching for sound effects library, looks interesting, bit pricey though http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/detroitchopshop1-10

There are some free sound effects with various creative commons licenses out there too.  I've used some from here that were pretty decent (I have low standards though): http://audiosoundclips.com/ ;

Just do a search for "royalty free sound effects" or "creative commons sound effects" or start with the list here: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/55-great-websites-to-download-free-sound-effects/

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

thanks!

i'm imagining the sound of demifey sounds like bee wings buzz

MistyMist said:
    MistyMist said:
    i have character looking out space station window.  cant decide to start inside pan out? or start outside and close in
    or pan around,  omg too many decisions  lol

I always often animate both (at least), and then render both of them so that I have more to work with when I'm cutting the final production together.

MistyMist said:

Sound packs like that from major companies like that can be an amazing help to start a good collection of sounds. My Opinion is that they're totally worth the $$$

Sony Movie HD comes with a collection of sounds that helps quite a bit. This one  (sold separately) helps a lot more! :)

Would be cool to check out the one you're looking at too.

Eventually you start to discover that, as helpful as those extra sounds can be, it's still pretty necessary to record custom sounds, which is a whole new ball of wax.

• aspinaspin Posts: 219
    MistyMist said:

audio in surround sound?!   how much ram i need to do that?

Surround doesn't take alot ram (if you are not into heavy effects processing). If you want to put original surround sounds into your video editor you have to check, if your video editor supports surround sound; it might be converted to stereo.

Surround effects in cinema are often cheated, taken from the front speakers to the back speakers. Just keep the center speaker free for voices.

Yeah, both of my video editors (I think? Corel for sure) support surround and even let me turn stereo into animated surrond simply by dragging around were I want the sound to come from. I'm planning on doing at least two versions, one in just stereo to start off with, and then work on a surround version. Sony also handles stereoscopic 3d, so I'm kicking around the idea of working out a version of that... maybe. So I save every rendered scene, even if I need to clean them off my machine, I still save them in my backup storage. Speaking of which, I still have every version of DS and Carrara I've ever downloaded and a ton of freebies. I even saved my Carrara 6 Pro/Hexagon/DS2.3 disc to my backups so I can sort through all of the content that came with that stuff. It's fun going through that stuff from time to time ;)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    MistyMist said:

Sound packs like that from major companies like that can be an amazing help to start a good collection of sounds. My Opinion is that they're totally worth the $$$

look here -

http://www.magix.com/us/music-maker/

stony creek stuff in the sale, but how to animate the creek water?

Maybe with shader functions, such as using waves or ripples in the bump channel?

had some good luck keyframing bumps. 

havent tried displacement at all. should experiment devilangel

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Misty Mist, what happened to that great icon you used ..with the wizard hat and the stars? Where you just renting it ?.... It was quite an eye catcher.

thanks.  my hats are seasonal wink  will come back next halloween.  

need to find my mardi gras hat and beads

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Sound effect libraries are a good source..But I usually find I have to go searching for just the right sound or music anyway....Sometimes it is easier to just record your own special effects.... Since nobody sees the object that actually makes the sound..you can make up most sounds with items around the home and lots of imagination...Even the human voice can mimic a whole range of special effects....

I just came across a clever way to match 3d images we make in Carrara so that they match the video footage taken with a digital camera - that is if you want to composite 3D with  live footage..... Usually you are trying to match grain using noise,  fractal noise , tinting, etc, or even a simulated film stock noise in a program like After Effects... However..one solution is to just export out the 3d animation or still to a digital camera..it will automatically put in the correct grain and color range - then import it back in.... I have not tried it yet..but it seemed like  one of those...jees why did'nt I think of that.

MistyMist said:

stony creek stuff in the sale, but how to animate the creek water?

Whenever I want to animate water in nature like that, I replace it with the Ocean Primitive. In this case I'd reduce the wave amplitude to something like .3 or so, and then I never use the Ocean Shader, but use my own which I've included with Woodlands - most often the high-quality one, because it uses tranparency. The fast one works much better if the view isn't looking directly at the water.

msteaka said:

Sound effect libraries are a good source..But I usually find I have to go searching for just the right sound or music anyway....Sometimes it is easier to just record your own special effects.... Since nobody sees the object that actually makes the sound..you can make up most sounds with items around the home and lots of imagination...Even the human voice can mimic a whole range of special effects....

Absolutely. And on this idea regarding "searching for the right sound", I actually go through my sounds collections (since there's really only so many ways to catalog and store them all) for a particular scene and, when I find one that works for part of what I'm doing, I copy it to a new folder named for that scene (scene meaning production time/story range, not individual Carrara scene! LOL) so that I have all of my main selected scenes in a single folder. If I'm still needing more sounds (by the end of that process) that I know I already have, I go searching again. Otherwise I just make them myself. 

bigh offers a link to Music Maker above, which has an excellent array of filters and effects to help make sounds just the way I want them, but I still cant find any actual sound collections aside from musical instruments from that company - of which I have a pretty nice collection. My Sony HD also has some nice audio effects and such. I bought the Platinum set, which came with Sony's Sound Forge, which is all about editing audio, but I've never even tried it yet. I was going to, but I've accidentally found that Movie HD had everything I needed for the sounds I was working with ;)