Annual PA SALE 2012 Image and discussion thread-- DAY31-- Catch up extended and more

Comments

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

I just want to clarify, so that no one thinks there is a flaw with the product itself, that the issue with IG's Photo Studio is completely dependent on an expected update to the UberArea Light Shader that Daz has promised will be forthcoming, and a 4.5xx release will fix the issue. They function perfectly in DS 3.xx and 4.xx. Sorry for the inconvevnience and crashes at this time. Trust me, no one wants the issue fixed more than we do.

Yes, I used them a lot under DS 4, which is why in my first renders in 4.5 I reached for them again, and...well, I hadn't saved when I tried to add lights... :blush: Thanks for the info on the expectation for a fix!

As for Lantios' sets, I have two in my cart and am dithering on the Core Lights, trying to guess if it's needed if I'm already getting Lantios Lights 2. (The other one is the GIS Orion lights, which despite not having a set of promo images, I've wanted for months, because I really like the GIS Orion set...)

-- Morgan

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited September 2012

Awesome render, Cathy_Mod!

Here's my homage to Lantios, featuring his Lantios Lights 2:

I won't claim the original concept...I heavily borrowed from two of Lantios's own renders (like any good art student, I find that one of the best ways to learn is to copy one of the established masters). Second image has no postwork. First does have postwork, and uses a different light preset, also from Lantios Lights 2. Not sure I did them justice, but I'm personally happy with the results.

Here are links to the images I used for reference: http://lantios.deviantart.com/art/Magic-283659434
    http://lantios.deviantart.com/art/Newborn-253939477?q=gallery:Lantios/25836211&qo=6

Edited to add, the hair I used is AprilYSH's Gia Hair...on sale today, and highly recommended!

lantioshomage1h.jpg
    800 x 800 - 418K
    lantioshomage1i.jpg
    800 x 800 - 360K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited September 2012

Here's another featuring current PA sale items. I put this together really quickly...

Used:
    Naoki for V4 and V5 - Raiya
    Benjamin for M5 - Raiya (DAZ Original)
    Feminine Touch - Raiya (DAZ Original)
    Manly Men M5 - Raiya (DAZ Original)
    James for M5 - Raiya (DAZ Original)
    Short Beard for Genesis - blondie9999
    Renegade Shirts for Genesis - Valandar
    Genesis Bracers - Valandar (DAZ Original)
    Lantios Lights 2 - Lantios

Only other things used in the scene were Michael 5, Evolutions morphs, and some of the content included with DS4.5.

Formula for the hero:
    M5 1.0
    FemaleFace06 20%
    NaokiHead 40%
    BenjaminHead 50%
    ManlyMenHead02 50%
    JamesBody 50%
    ManlyMen04 50%
    ManlyMen08 50%
    Body Tone 1.00
    Bodybuilder 0.1
    Fitness 0.2
    FitnessDetails 1.00
    Lips Thin 0.6
    Eyelashes Hide Layer 0.3
    Eyelashes Length -0.3

Naoki skin texture

raiya-valandar-blondie2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 184K
  • Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited December 1969

I really dig Blondie9999's From the Deep Aquatic Genesis. I wish it had some sharp nails and spikes but it was easy to fake with Photoshop's liquify filter.

Facial hair is from Mec4d Unshaven Bundle for Genesis. Morphs include ones from Sirano M5, Sirena V5, Gorilla, and Creature Creator Bundle.

Post work was done using Photoshop.

From-the-deep-Aquatic-forum2a.jpg
    540 x 600 - 420K
  • judee3djudee3d Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

Pixel8ted said:
    I really dig Blondie9999's From the Deep Aquatic Genesis. I wish it had some sharp nails and spikes but it was easy to fake with Photoshop's liquify filter.

Facial hair is from Mec4d Unshaven Bundle for Genesis. Morphs include ones from Sirano M5, Sirena V5, Gorilla, and Creature Creator Bundle.

Post work was done using Photoshop.

Fantastic render Pixel8ted! I was out most of yesterday and missed this one, so am hoping for a catch up sale. Good one blondie!

edited December 1969

Lindsey and Pixel8ted: love those sea creature renders!

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the fantastic render examples. Picked up Lantios Lights 2 today! Very happy. :)

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

Hello Everyone.

I am looking and reading here, and I am really impressed by the Lantios lights.

I am using DS4 Pro, and I wonder if you experienced folks could tell me what light sets of Lantios would be the best to get as a first set.
    You should know I am still learning, and I want to make sure what I get will also work with the new version of DS 4.5

Thank you everyone.
    R

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

I think Lantios Lights 2 have gotten the ravest reviews since their release. They are simple to use and give some great results right out of the box, and they are working in 4.5 for me.
    I'm interested in his new "Core Lights" package, but haven't seen any renders yet. But I'm sure someone will jump in soon.
    Anyways, my opinion? Lights 2 are the way to go. :)

edited December 1969

HI Scott-Livingston.

Your pics displayed as a homage to Lantios are beautiful.
    I am surprised, but I like the second one more. Am I correct in thinking that is the one without postwork?
    Great work.
    R

• BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Jeez... you guys just made me want to spend even more money *lol*
    I love lantios' lights and it was hard enough not to just throw the lights into the cart, but now... *sigh*
    can anyone tell me if it is ds4 only or if it will work in ds3 too?

edited December 1969

Jeez... you guys just made me want to spend even more money *lol*
    I love lantios' lights and it was hard enough not to just throw the lights into the cart, but now... *sigh*
    can anyone tell me if it is ds4 only or if it will work in ds3 too?

Sorry... me and my big questioning gabber... sowing doubt in your mind.
    Great point you bring up.
    These lights look amazing, though.
    It will be great to get more comments on them but I am fairly sure I will be getting at least one of his light sets.

Is Lantois really 18 years old... tremendous knowledge and skill at that age if so.
    If not... I'm just gullible... :)

• BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

^^ No need to be sorry... I'm quite sure it'll have jumped into my cart wit the catchup sale anyway... or with the next sale... there always is one more. That's how I know the world will not end as long as DAZ exists ;)

Well if you're gullible I'm gullible too... I read about a very young age of lantios somewhere on the old forums, if I remember correctly... and I trust it is true :)

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

is it Day 9 yet?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969
  • DAZ_KevinDAZ_Kevin Posts: 2,420
    edited December 1969

Day Nine is up... up... and away! Like a lovely bird.

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH, that is about the coolest thing I've ever seen! You rock! :D

edited September 2012

Bendinggrass:

It looks to me that the new set, Core Lights I, is intended to be a multi-purpose set ideal for someone looking for their first lightset. However, I don't own it (yet) and I can tell you from experience that you can't go wrong with Lantios Lights 2 as far as quality is concerned. It may not be quite as versatile, though. So in my opinion, either one would be a good choice.

You're correct...the second render of mine is the one without postwork. Not too surprised that you prefer it, as postwork isn't exactly my forte. Just to clarify, the postworked version was based on a different render, though. Glad you enjoyed them.

As far as I know, Lantios is really 18 and he's been a PA since he was 16 I think!

Edited to add: the hair used in my Lantios renders is AprilYSH's amazing Gia Hair, currently on sale!

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!

It says if you buy AprilYSH's Calais hair you will get a 25% discount on Lyon hair.

Bought the Calais hair then tried to buy the Lyon hair.

The discount code was accepted (after several tries) but it isn't shown when the Lyon order goes through to Paypal. At which point I cancelled the order.

Is this a glitch in the system or what?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 1969

That could be a reference to an old promotion which is no longer good. I've seen a number of those announcements. Things tied to March Madness sales or other such events. That one may date from when Lyon Hair first came out.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

The Texture Templates for the Dynamic Supersuit Set 2 Cosmic Gods in the Resource Files section are for another product.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    That could be a reference to an old promotion which is no longer good. I've seen a number of those announcements. Things tied to March Madness sales or other such events. That one may date from when Lyon Hair first came out.

I wish they wouldn't tease like that. The actual cash value of the discount is not much but still ...

edited December 1969

luxgabu said:
    JOdel said:

I wish they wouldn't tease like that. The actual cash value of the discount is not much but still ...
    If I were you, I'd buy them without the discount and then contact support. J0del might be correct, but then again it's possible that the promotion was intended to continue, but the mechanism was broken during the change to the new site (no vouchers any more). And if it is an expired promotion, they should remove it from the product description.

edited December 1969

luxgabu said:
    JOdel said:

If I were you, I'd buy them without the discount and then contact support. J0del might be correct, but then again it's possible that the promotion was intended to continue, but the mechanism was broken during the change to the new site (no vouchers any more). And if it is an expired promotion, they should remove it from the product description.

Will do.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

I am actually not seeing that promotion on the store pages. I guess I may need glasses :roll:

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am actually not seeing that promotion on the store pages. I guess I may need glasses :roll:
    I'm seeing it on the Lyon page: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/lyon-hair-and-ruff

If you have already purchased Calais Hair and Ruff, you will receive a 25% discount voucher to use towards your purchase of Lyon Hair and Ruff.

...but not the Calais page. Maybe it got updated? Pretty sure it was there earlier today.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Was an old promotion though, as JOdel said, where the page hasn't been updated. I shall flag it up.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 1969

Mild oddity.

I finally broke down and bought Valandar's Jabberwok. It's one of the old ones that comes in a .zip file. However, it didn't come alone. Inside the .zip file was another archive containing the .zip of Bobbie25's Evening Style dress.

I've already got that one, so no harm done. But I don't know how a dress could have got inside an archive for a monster. The monster certainly couldn't have worn it.

(Have reported)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500
    edited September 2012

Below is a Daz Studio 4 Pro render of Michael 5 mix utilizing light preset 06 from Lantios Core Lighting 1.
    Rendering time was 21 minutes 45.89 seconds and it was only 6 times longer than when rendering the same scene
    with one distance light with the shadow map.
    I am very happy with the results and it only confirm that if you wish to render scenes directly in Daz Studio
    Lantios lights are the excellent choice. Click the image to see it enlarged.

MaleMix32pic02g1.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 350K
    Post edited by Artini on