Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.22.1.136! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,855

barbult said:

crosswind said:

And another bug... , @Richard Haseltine  @barbult

I don't know if you ever experienced it, in both GR and PB version. If there's an OBJ file in a folder and a DUF file with the same name in that folder as well, let's say crosswind.obj and crosswind.duf. When import crosswind.obj, DS merge crosswind.duf into the scene... Same bug happens to FBX format as well. I've not tested other formats...

I submitted this bug weeks ago, I've seen no attention paid from Dev. team....

This is a longstanding problem, I believe. At least it exists in 4.21.0.5, exactly as you described here. I can only vouch for the obj/duf problem. I don't have experience with FBX.

Thanks for the confirmation, barbult!   Well, I'll be waiting for the fix anyway ~~~

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,438

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

I don't know if you ever experienced it, in both GR and PB version. If there's an OBJ file in a folder and a DUF file with the same name in that folder as well, let's say crosswind.obj and crosswind.duf. When import crosswind.obj, DS merge crosswind.duf into the scene... Same bug happens to FBX format as well. I've not tested other formats...

This is a longstanding problem, I believe. At least it exists in 4.21.0.5, exactly as you described here. I can only vouch for the obj/duf problem. I don't have experience with FBX.

Thanks for the confirmation, barbult!   Well, I'll be waiting for the fix anyway ~~~

It is the intended behaviour, not a bug - see http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/content_library/results_view/start#companion_file

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,253

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

It is the intended behaviour, not a bug - see http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/content_library/results_view/start#companion_file

Well how about that! I've been aware of companion files that apply DS materials to Poser props, but I never thought of an OBJ and DUF as something what would fall into that companion file category. Thanks for the explanation reference.
    Customer Service should have supplied this explanation to crosswind. Do you suppose they even know this?

Thanks for letting me refresh my memory. I believe I've ever seen that page before... though I did not recall anything about it when I saw that "bug". However, no ~ I don't think such an explanation should be relevant to the case and "bug" that I mentioned.

- A Companion File is a file in a native format, which is named identically to an asset of an imported file type1), that resides in the same folder on disk as the asset file it is a companion for, with the exception of file extension. Companion files can exist in the form of a native script (.dsa, .dsb, .dse) or a DSON format asset (.duf); however, an asset is only allowed to have one companion file. If a native script and a DSON file both exist within the folder of an asset of an imported type, preference is given to the native script2).  -

As per my understanding, it's (specifically) for the case like: in a folder, there're three files, Michael 4.cr2, Michael 4.dsb, Michael 4.duf.... Well, cr2 file can be directly loaded as a user-facing file from Poser Format folder, or can be imported. In this case, when importing or loading Michael 4.cr2, Michael 4.dsb will be loaded with 1st priority. As a test, I deleted Michael 4.dsb and imported Michael 4.cr2, Michael 4.duf was loaded which is a Car scene I made. Yes, the logic is that Michael 4.cr2 can only have one Companion file. I deleted other 2 files, Michael 4.cr4 was just imported without PowerLoader dialogue....

However, for my case, I just need to simply import an OBJ file. An OBJ file does not need a "native Companion file" while being loaded. If the above logic appllies for the case of purely importing OBJ / FBX / DAE / BVH... format files, it'll certainly confuse the users... It doesn't make sense, IMHO. ...I'd rather be told that : do not place ANY native DS format files with the same name as OBJ's into a same folder... crying

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,116
    edited March 8

the new build is causing a CTD for me

In the log I'm seeing lots of these entries just prior to the CTD

[ERROR] :: QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)

This is happening when I'm rendering to a new window.

Post edited by IceCrMn on

IceCrMn said:

[ERROR] :: QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)

Try disabling the HEAT plug-in

Richard Haseltine said:

IceCrMn said:

Try disabling the HEAT plug-in

Thank you sir.

I found the discussion in the general release thread, so I responded there to try to keep it all in one thread. 

HEAT has an update, the readme says it has fixed and issue with timers.

The scene item reorder capability that was added recently (or that I only became aware of recently) is a helpful addition.

barbult said:

The scene item reorder capability that was added recently (or that I only became aware of recently) is a helpful addition.

Which one to be exact ? "Reorder" in the attached screenshot?

SNAG-2024-3-10-0005.png
    553 x 378 - 29K
    crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes

OK, thanks ! but it seems to me that only the Labels have been changed.. while Reorder function has been there for a long time.

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes

OK, thanks ! but it seems to me that only the Labels have been changed.. while Reorder function has been there for a long time.

Maybe so, but I just noticed it yesterday. That's why I added that comment in parentheses.

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes

Maybe so, but I just noticed it yesterday. That's why I added that comment in parentheses.

No problem, thanks !

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,599

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes

Does it work at the 'root' level now?
    It has been working for ages for parented items. 

edited March 11

PerttiA said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes

Yo ~ I got it. It works now on any selected node(s) (movable) no matter they're parented or unparented. It's great !

Thanks for the reminder !

Post edited by crosswind on

crosswind said:

PerttiA said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes

Yo ~ I got it. It works now on any selected node(s) (movable) no matter they're parented or unparented. It's great !

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8603226/#Comment_8603226 has details

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

PerttiA said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8603226/#Comment_8603226 has details

Yoh ~~ Thanks ! I always checked change log but just missed that point this time...

Richard Haseltine said:

Rob's highlights thread is exactly what brought this capability to my attention. 

I've been having occasional crashes of 4.22.1.99 after exiting the program with an scene still open after rendering completes. I got this error today when it happened.

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\dzcore.dll" at 0033:00000000FE6C6146, DzUndoStack::canPushItems()+38 byte(s)

I'm getting the "A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established..." error when I start the beta.

at the end of ther log it says

[WARNING] :: CMS Path Not Accessible: C:/Users/icecrmn/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms

Smart content works just fine. and I can use it normally with no problems.

The general release uses the same default configuration and it does not have this error on start up.

things I've tried:

deleteing package files for the beta then redownloading and reinstalling.

changing the cms port number

database maintenance inside Studio

Nothing has stopped the error mesage.

As I said, it does actaully work so not sure why I'm getting this error

Another 4.22.1.99 crash. This time I was selecting New Scene from the File menu. DS crashed while clearing the previous scene. The crash shows undo stack problems again.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 014406 crash clearing scene.jpg
    928 x 560 - 119K

What was in the previous scene and what tools had you been using (especially ones that put their actions on the undo stack)?

What was in the previous scene and what tools had you been using (especially ones that put their actions on the undo stack)?

I don't think I was using any tools other than selecting items in the scene pane. No Geometry Editor or Weight Mapping, Transfer Utility or anything like that. I was using the BJ Camera Manager a lot. I did have the Aux viewport open at one time, but I think it was closed before I tried to create the new scene. I was using Iray Preview and Texture Shaded draw styles off and on. There were no characters, clothes, or hair in the scene. In the scene I was beta testing an unreleased plugin for a PA. I don't know if that was the cause of the problem, but I have also reported this crash to the PA. But I have been extensively testing this plugin and don't get this crash every time. I have not seen this crash yet when testing in 4.21.0 5 general release. That's all the info I can remember now.
  • Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
    edited March 23

I have some sort of instability with the latest beta update.

During powerposing (or *maybe* anything else requiring you to hold your mouse button in viewport) PBR or OpenGL, There are occasional freezes occuring. It unfreezes itself after around 3-5 seconds. Another way to unfreeze is to right click to somewhere else other than daz studio (like taskbar).

If I make this foreplay enough times, then daz studio crashes to desktop saying an access violation in qt4.dll or something. In the list of the stack, It caught  my attention that it mentions "undo stack".

(Nothing in the log, rest of the system seems stable.)

Post edited by Dolce Saito on

Dolce Saito said:

During powerposing (or *maybe* anything else requiring you to hold your mouse button in viewport) PBR or OpenGL, There are occasional freezes occuring. It unfreezes itself after around 3-5 seconds. Another way to unfreeze is to right click to somewhere else other than daz studio (like taskbar).

If I make this foreplay enough times, then daz studio crashes to desktop saying an access violation in qt4.dll or something. In the list of the stack, It caught  my attention that it mentions "undo stack".

Do you have the HEAT plug-in installed? if so is it the updated version or the original?

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 747

"Object ID" canvases seem to behave like "Material ID" canvases; they both are apparently trying to produce a PNG which is a visualization of the respective ID.  For "Material ID" this is defined by the eponymous property in the "Surfaces" dialog.  How do I define the color mapping for "Object ID"?  What happens by default is that all objects come out black, which isn't very useful.

I don't know if this is a 4.22.1 bug or something I don't understand but it is similar to the problem with convergence maps (they always come out 0, even though they are TIFFs, not PNGs.)

edited March 24

I just tried the new feature with 4.22.1.99 to add weight map of a Push Modifier on a geoshell... by following the instruction in here - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8620281/#Comment_8620281

...but I failed.  After entering the name of Push Modifier on the geoshell, I found not property of the modifier to enter the value. Anybody tried this feature and succeeded ?  Thanks!

PS: I've never noticed it before. A wrong spelling is found when creating a Push Modifier... which is "PushModifer", same wrong spelling in GR.

SNAG-2024-3-24-0020.png
    2023 x 1313 - 341K
    SNAG-2024-3-24-0021.png
    726 x 344 - 56K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
    edited March 24

Richard Haseltine said:

Dolce Saito said:

Do you have the HEAT plug-in installed? if so is it the updated version or the original?

I don't have it. I've 551.86 studio drivers installed. I've yet to identify root cause of this problem, if it is a plug-in (I haven't installed any in a considerable amount of time) or something else. I also confirmed that there are no event log entries for any systematic problem or any other constant freezes occuring in the system. Only in the Daz Studio, and only during viewport operations.

Edit: I created a camera and did some orbit, zoom, fly operations with/without mouse. It IS stable. So, I've isolated it down to figure posing operations for now.

Edit 2: During posing, not only powerposing via mouse in the viewport, but also moving parameter sliders cause the same freezes if I hold any parameter slider and drag left-right for enough duration.

Edit 3: Did some random figure animations. And if I move frame slider, it can cause this freezes again. Playing a timeline which includes figure movements can also cause this. In general, I isolated this to the figure movement in the viewport for now.

Post edited by Dolce Saito on

Dolce Saito said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Dolce Saito said:

I don't have it. I've 551.86 studio drivers installed. I've yet to identify root cause of this problem, if it is a plug-in (I haven't installed any in a considerable amount of time) or something else. I also confirmed that there are no event log entries for any systematic problem or any other constant freezes occuring in the system. Only in the Daz Studio, and only during viewport operations.

Edit: I created a camera and did some orbit, zoom, fly operations with/without mouse. It IS stable. So, I've isolated it down to figure posing operations for now.

Edit 2: During posing, not only powerposing via mouse in the viewport, but also moving parameter sliders cause the same freezes if I hold any parameter slider and drag left-right for enough duration.

Edit 3: Did some random figure animations. And if I move frame slider, it can cause this freezes again. Playing a timeline which includes figure movements can also cause this. In general, I isolated this to the figure movement in the viewport for now.

When you first use a morph, or bend a joint that triggers a corrective morph, the morph deltas (the shape change) have to be loaded from disc. Also, every time you make a change DS has to trace through the links to and from the changed bone/shape to look for links that may be affected by the change and so need updating.