Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part IV

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

Part of a comic page I'm working on.

I'm clearly in need of Fit Control. Just need my budget to cooperate. Another month, I think. :/

Trio.jpg
    2000 x 1236 - 87K
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

aaron575 said:
    Nice, looks great full size.

Thank you. I was mostly working with the materials, the lights and the render settings. This was the first time (since 8.5) I tried to actually get something accomplished, instead of just experimenting and tinkering.

...the one thing that stopped me from considering the 970 is that it uses an odd memory configuration which is basically 3.5 = .5 GB the latter.which kicks in separately if the load exceeds the 3.5 GB level (at east for gaming purposes).

Yes, I heard about that too. But I wasn't willing to go to the next step up which was double the price. Still I am pretty happy with the card. Installed in two weeks ago and it went in like a dream. Even with an upgrade of the power supply.

No issues so far and is light years faster than my previous entry card. And noticeably faster than the 750Ti I have in my other machine.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

Wish I could figure out bloom, when I turn it on I get nothing but major blur... i've tried changing settings but just haven't gotten any good effect with it yet.

Took a bit of work to get shaders set up for fur.... its not as glossy as human hair so made my own.
    used Alessandro's cubs and exported hair as fibermesh (yes it taxed my poor computer heavily but i managed). Predatron's dandelions and esha's grass all worked great in Iray too.

Iray still takes a LOT longer to wrk with for me and i end up with a lot of noise even after an all night render, but i'm loving it. I just have to learn it better.

BearCubIray_s.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Wish I could figure out bloom, when I turn it on I get nothing but major blur... i've tried changing settings but just haven't gotten any good effect with it yet.

Took a bit of work to get shaders set up for fur.... its not as glossy as human hair so made my own.
    used Alessandro's cubs and exported hair as fibermesh (yes it taxed my poor computer heavily but i managed). Predatron's dandelions and esha's grass all worked great in Iray too.

Iray still takes a LOT longer to wrk with for me and i end up with a lot of noise even after an all night render, but i'm loving it. I just have to learn it better.

Very nicely done...

I am no expert but I believe that to get bloom to appear, you have to use really strong lights. Almost to the point of blowing out the image in specific locations. The bloom will then manifest all around that blown out area.

• aaron575aaron575 Posts: 146
    edited June 2015

I am having trouble working out the bloom as well, last time I tried to use it I was getting bloom on the reflections that were as strong as the bloom from the light source. One thing that may help with your noise problem is to use Tone Mapping. I am just getting used to using it never having used anything but a point and shoot camera.
    If I do a scene with low light, say a night scene, I increase the ISO to 200 which I think has something to do with how the film reacts to light. Most importantly I lower the shutter speed which means it stays open longer letting more light into the camera.

Edit. Forgot to say Nice Render

Post edited by aaron575 on
    edited December 1969

End of Shift
    Time to take the Skyship Avrora back to the Depot.

Avrora.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 990K
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

To get less blur the threshold must be very high, I used 15000 in my Held Them Off render.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

Slowly trying to get to grips with iray, and I just figured out that 2D backdrops play quite nice in iray. Good to know for when I can't find a HDR that suits. This is rendered with a 2D backdrop and an HDR scene and a mesh light for lighting. Combined CPU/GPU
    It rendered fast to about 30% then loads of iterations with no progress in convergence. Is this usual, that the convergence occurs in a non-linear fashion? Or did my render somehow get stuck?

DivineJustice1.jpg
    1800 x 900 - 1M
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I've been very pleasantly surprised by 2d backdrops. So long as you take pains to have it look vaguely like the lighting and style of the foreground and make sure it's not getting glossy or whatever... bam.

I sometimes put the backdrop's map in the emission channel, to help the illusion, particularly if there are reflective elements in the foreground.

Not a new render, but consider:
    http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Song-to-the-Moon-534561088

Everything behind the sand/water is a flat sheet. It emits, particularly to get the moonlight on the water. Then there's a spot on the singer. The backdrop, just a flat sheet? Looks AMAZING.

So, yeah. I was worried so many of the backdrop scene thingies would just fall apart in Iray... and they totally don't.

• edited June 2015

V6 Iray test

Image removed by a Moderator Please see the DAZ 3D Forum TOS, Bulltet point #1

Post edited by Chohole on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

Your little bear is the best render I've seen of those bears. Your hard work paid off. The surrounding dandelions and grass look nice, too. Is is a joyous image - very pleasant to look at.
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Too cute , I think bloom effect will be not really doing here something good , the style of this render is cool the way you made it
    well done

edited December 1969

Cool render, reminds me of 5th element some way .. I would go for bloom filter here it just ask for the atmosphere

aaron575 said:
    End of Shift
    edited December 1969

great illustration well done

Redz said:
    Slowly trying to get to grips with iray, and I just figured out that 2D backdrops play quite nice in iray. Good to know for when I can't find a HDR that suits. This is rendered with a 2D backdrop and an HDR scene and a mesh light for lighting. Combined CPU/GPU
    It rendered fast to about 30% then loads of iterations with no progress in convergence. Is this usual, that the convergence occurs in a non-linear fashion? Or did my render somehow get stuck?
  • Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 760
    edited June 2015

Title: "Baby Steps"

One of my biggest weaknesses as an artist - and one of my biggest sources of frustration - is finding a workflow I'm comfortable with, and mastering it. I keep switching from one program to the other and back again, and have yet to develop a technique that defines me. Another problem I have is trying to learn too much at once, and then cramming it all into one project. Other artists have told me the same, and I agree. If I'm going to grow and develop my skills, I need to eliminate those flaws. I don't ever want to find myself quitting this wonderful hobby again, over something I could've prevented if I wasn't so hell-bent on striving for perfection. I enjoy the creative process too much.

I cut my teeth on DAZ Studio. It's what I know best, and am most comfortable with. So, I'm going to use 4.8 as a clean slate, and maintain a nice, steady pace to avoid frustration.

First step: Create a sphere and learn how to work with surfaces.

This is every Iray shader preset that comes with DS 4.8.

Full image here.

Row 1: Iray Uber Base / Car Paint - Chameleon / Car Paint - Cranberry / Car Paint - Midnight Blue / Car Paint - Pearl White
    Row 2: Car Paint - Red - Large Flakes / Car Paint - Red - Small Flakes / Car Paint - Sunburst / Diamond / Emissive
    Row 3: Fabric - Silk - Blue / Fabric - Velvet - Red / Glass - Solid - Clear - Dispersive (rainbow) / Glass - Solid - Clear / Glass - Solid - Frosted - Clear
    Row 4: Glass - Solid - Frosted - Light green / Glass - Solid - Light green - Dispersive (rainbow) / Glass - Solid - Lightly Frosted - Light Green / Glass - Solid - Lightly Frosted
    Row 5: Glass - Thin - Clear / Jade / Leather / Metal - Aluminum - Brushed / Metal - Aluminum - Polished - Coated
    Row 6: Metal - Aluminum - Polished / Metal - Aluminum - Satin - Coated / Metal - Aluminum - Satin / Metal - Cobalt / Metal - Copper
    Row 7: Metal - Silver / Metal - Steel - Galvanized / Metal - Titanium / Plastic - Glossy / Plastic - Smooth
    Row 8: Rubber - Matte / Rubber - Shiny / Water - Dispersive / Water - Thin / Water
    Row 9: Wax

1000x1414.jpg
    1000 x 1414 - 116K
    Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    Cool render, reminds me of 5th element some way .. I would go for bloom filter here it just ask for the atmosphere

aaron575 said:
    End of Shift
    Thank you MEC4D. It does need atmosphere and after reading what SickleYield said a few posts back I have been experimenting and starting to get the hang of using the bloom effect. :-)
    edited December 1969

Nyghtfall said:

First step: Create a sphere and learn how to work with surfaces.

This is every Iray shader preset that comes with DS 4.8.

Full image here.

Row 1: Iray Uber Base / Car Paint - Chameleon / Car Paint - Cranberry / Car Paint - Midnight Blue / Car Paint - Pearl White
    Row 2: Car Paint - Red - Large Flakes / Car Paint - Red - Small Flakes / Car Paint - Sunburst / Diamond / Emissive
    Row 3: Fabric - Silk - Blue / Fabric - Velvet - Red / Glass - Solid - Clear - Dispersive (rainbow) / Glass - Solid - Clear / Glass - Solid - Frosted - Clear
    Row 4: Glass - Solid - Frosted - Light green / Glass - Solid - Light green - Dispersive (rainbow) / Glass - Solid - Lightly Frosted - Light Green / Glass - Solid - Lightly Frosted
    Row 5: Glass - Thin - Clear / Jade / Leather / Metal - Aluminum - Brushed / Metal - Aluminum - Polished - Coated
    Row 6: Metal - Aluminum - Polished / Metal - Aluminum - Satin - Coated / Metal - Aluminum - Satin / Metal - Cobalt / Metal - Copper
    Row 7: Metal - Silver / Metal - Steel - Galvanized / Metal - Titanium / Plastic - Glossy / Plastic - Smooth
    Row 8: Rubber - Matte / Rubber - Shiny / Water - Dispersive / Water - Thin / Water
    Row 9: Wax

What a great idea, seeing them all together like that really helps visualize how they will look in a scene.
    edited December 1969

Nyghtfall, that's a nice reference.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

Love it. I can picture this as a Fathead poster on a little girl's bedroom wall. Or the front of a greeting card... I think his fur turned out really nice.

edited December 1969

aaron575 said:
    End of Shift

As Cath mentioned, it is reminiscent of The Fifth Element. Or grunge it up a bit, make the image darker, and you've got Blade Runner. I find it intriguing and it holds my attention, checking out the various details.

edited June 2015

I spent 1.5 hours in conference with another writer a couple nights ago, more than half of that with her "raining on my parade" after showing her the cover for my next book. (Actually, her exact words included a reference to "Cheerios.") Anyway, I reluctantly admitted she was right. As much as I loved what I did for the cover, it didn't have the "look" of a Thriller.

Back to the drawing board.

I tried doing something with a silhouette in the doorway of The Old Warehouse, but couldn't seem to get the effect I wanted, so yesterday I went yet another direction. A very simple scene with G2M wearing Urban Survivors HD minus the vest. I applied the leather Iray shader to the shoes with a darker base color. The ground is a plane primitive with the Asphalt Iray shader applied. Two spotlights: one behind him with strong light to produce the shadow; one to his right with low light, geometry set to disc, to simulate ambient light and soften the transition from the back to front. I also lightened the hoodie texture so it would reflect more light. There is a slightly darker arc on the ground, I assume the second spotlight is blocking the first one somewhat. It gets covered by the text so I didn't bother trying to fix it.

Test renders while tweaking were 2100 x 1200 pixels and rendering to 100% in less than 10 minutes. That's cpu only! I was pleasantly surprised. Once I had all the details figured out, I rendered the final image at 5000 x 3571, having added more at the top and bottom for blending purposes. Also rendered to 100%, it took less than an hour.

This really surprises me with such a dark image and very little lighting. But I'm not complaining!

So here's the final image, (with some extra black cropped out,) plus the original book cover and the new book cover. I love the original cover image, though. I'll just have to repurpose it for my blog. Waste not, want not. :cheese:

Dangerous_Silhouette-cropped-and-reduced.jpg
    2000 x 1075 - 514K
    side-by-side-old-n-new-covers.jpg
    2000 x 1292 - 1M
    Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited December 1969

That dark one is a winner!

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    That dark one is a winner!

Thanks. :)

edited June 2015

ACross said:
    aaron575 said:
    End of Shift

As Cath mentioned, it is reminiscent of The Fifth Element. Or grunge it up a bit, make the image darker, and you've got Blade Runner. I find it intriguing and it holds my attention, checking out the various details. Thank you, I am trying to place The Fifth Element, didn't it have Bruce and Mila in it and Johnys Happy Taxi Service.

An updated version using the Bloom Filter.

Filter Radius - 0.35
    Filter Threshold - 20,000
    Brightness Scale - 0.30

PS I agree, the dark one is awesome.

Avrora_(Update).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 800K
    Post edited by aaron575 on
    edited December 1969

Candy Gram!

CandyGram.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 1M
    edited June 2015

aaron575 said:
    ACross said:
    aaron575 said:
    End of Shift

As Cath mentioned, it is reminiscent of The Fifth Element. Or grunge it up a bit, make the image darker, and you've got Blade Runner. I find it intriguing and it holds my attention, checking out the various details.

Thank you, I am trying to place The Fifth Element, didn't it have Bruce and Mila in it and Johnys Happy Taxi Service.

I don't recall the name of the Taxi Service, but it starred Bruce Willis and Mila Jovovich.

Thank you. Guess it just goes to show, less is more. At least for Thiller book covers. lol

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited December 1969

Legionair said:
    Candy Gram!
    This is awesome, had a good laugh when I saw it.
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

aaron575 said:
    ACross said:
    aaron575 said:
    End of Shift

Thank you, I am trying to place The Fifth Element, didn't it have Bruce and Mila in it and Johnys Happy Taxi Service.

Filter Radius - 0.35
    Brightness Scale - 0.30

Cool pic
    Johnny cab was Total Recall with Arnold Schwarzenegger

Fifth Element was Zorg Taxi Service

edited December 1969

The dark one is a winner ! very mysterious marching it so well, you know some people judge the book by it's cover lol
    the old one was cool but hey the last is always the best !

ACross said:
    I spent 1.5 hours in conference with another writer a couple nights ago, more than half of that with her "raining on my parade" after showing her the cover for my next book. (Actually, her exact words included a reference to "Cheerios.") Anyway, I reluctantly admitted she was right. As much as I loved what I did for the cover, it didn't have the "look" of a Thriller.

Back to the drawing board.

I tried doing something with a silhouette in the doorway of The Old Warehouse, but couldn't seem to get the effect I wanted, so yesterday I went yet another direction. A very simple scene with G2M wearing Urban Survivors HD minus the vest. I applied the leather Iray shader to the shoes with a darker base color. The ground is a plane primitive with the Asphalt Iray shader applied. Two spotlights: one behind him with strong light to produce the shadow; one to his right with low light, geometry set to disc, to simulate ambient light and soften the transition from the back to front. I also lightened the hoodie texture so it would reflect more light. There is a slightly darker arc on the ground, I assume the second spotlight is blocking the first one somewhat. It gets covered by the text so I didn't bother trying to fix it.

Test renders while tweaking were 2100 x 1200 pixels and rendering to 100% in less than 10 minutes. That's cpu only! I was pleasantly surprised. Once I had all the details figured out, I rendered the final image at 5000 x 3571, having added more at the top and bottom for blending purposes. Also rendered to 100%, it took less than an hour.

This really surprises me with such a dark image and very little lighting. But I'm not complaining!

So here's the final image, (with some extra black cropped out,) plus the original book cover and the new book cover. I love the original cover image, though. I'll just have to repurpose it for my blog. Waste not, want not. :cheese:

edited December 1969

It is alive !!! love it

aaron575 said:
    ACross said:
    aaron575 said:
    End of Shift

Filter Radius - 0.35
    Brightness Scale - 0.30

This discussion has been closed.