October, 2023 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Atmosphere, Ghosts and Special Effects

13»

Comments

• csaa said:

dreamcatcherphoto said:

So I made some changes to "Succubus in Chains" The leg section  was looking odd but while I did that i decided to use creative angle and some red backlighting using a ghosted primative between the model and the back wall to create a more red hue off the back ground versus the plain stone look..as well as i opened it to two sided so it would backlight the model creating a more dramatic effect off the wings and flooring. I am also wanting to see if i can create a halo under her to give a firery circle to represent a summoning portal being activated...perhaps a very light ring of fire.

dreamcatcherphoto

Hi, this is the version I like! The myst, the red backlighting and the low camera angle dials up the intensity of the gloom and horror in the scene.

In a visual medium such as this, there's a temptation to show-it-all -- that is, have sharp details from foreground to background. We rach a point though when too many details become overwhelming to the viewer. As the saying goes: less is more. To this end, I'd like to offer a few suggestions.

(1) Depth of Field. The Daz camera system is quite good a mimicking real world lenses. You can play around with it and get surprising results, just as with a digital camera. Looking at your render, we could say that you have an f/16 of f/22 aperture. Very crisp details from end to end. Have you consdered a shallow DOF, say f4 or even f2.8, focused on the face? The narrow field of sharpness guides the eye to the figure, the heart of the scene.

(2) Noir Lighting. Film noir from the 1940s is all about moody lighting, often using a key light on the face and a rim light to outline the subject. To heighten the sense of mystery and horror, perhaps you can dial down the intensity of the  foreground light, leaving only the red highlights to define the outline of the figure (particularly the horns and the bat wings) and of the architecture in the background. Then shine a focused lamp on her face. If you set the angle right, that catchlight should set off reflections on her fangs and eyes, upping the drama.

(3) Lense Angle. Try to get closer to the subject and tilt the upward camera further while still capturing the architectural details in the background. Then switch to a wide angle lens, say 33mm or even 28mm. You'll likely see a more dramatic, more sinister scene.

Daz is a great tool for exploring visual effects. I really enjoy the creativity you bring to this image and wish you well.

Cheers!

I have only started using this program a couple weeks ago and  have learned so much so quick but yet to get into the camera settings. I especially want to get into that more and will try some of those things sooner rather than later thats for sure. I will have to try some of that with this Image as well as some of the new stuff I am currently working with. I appreciate the suggestions and cannot wait to try some of those...I agree that would probably bring much more to the scene as it will utilize the focus and bring the viewer to the subject better. Thank you for the suggestions I am glad to have people suggest new ideas and new ways as always.

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 715
    edited October 2023

2nd entry for Intermediate

Creatures of the Night

Creatures of the Night.png
    1667 x 2000 - 4M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • Hellkitty742Hellkitty742 Posts: 47
    edited October 2023

"Succubus in Chains" my beginner entry. 

I really enjoyed all the feedback and ideas i got from my first challenge as it led me from trying various new ideas and concepts. I learned a lot from you all and after like 25 renderings and trying new ways to use the program and the atmosphere I have ended up with a much better rendering in my opinion. The Video Tutorials Daz has were awesome in helping me understand the concepts and applications of so many different ways to create a good rendering It may have a few tweaks that can be done of course as nothing is ever really perfect but the best part is all the new techniques i can use in all my future renderings. So thank you all who gave me some support and ideas here is where i ended out with it all. Almost no post processing editing ...other than to create a little contast. I would eventually like to have all my images need no post processing at all.

Sucubus in Chains 009 final submission rz.jpg
    2500 x 1875 - 5M
    Post edited by Hellkitty742 on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 827

This is the final version of my entry for the Intermediate challenge

• Aki3dAki3d Posts: 146

pirates

intermediate challenge

• dreamcatcherphoto said:

"Succubus in Chains" my beginner entry. 

I really enjoyed all the feedback and ideas i got from my first challenge as it led me from trying various new ideas and concepts. I learned a lot from you all and after like 25 renderings and trying new ways to use the program and the atmosphere I have ended up with a much better rendering in my opinion. The Video Tutorials Daz has were awesome in helping me understand the concepts and applications of so many different ways to create a good rendering It may have a few tweaks that can be done of course as nothing is ever really perfect but the best part is all the new techniques i can use in all my future renderings. So thank you all who gave me some support and ideas here is where i ended out with it all. Almost no post processing editing ...other than to create a little contast. I would eventually like to have all my images need no post processing at all.

Well done! To be honest, i usually had enough, once i pass the 5 or 6 renders mark. 25! Thats what i call commitment!  ;) But well worth it. More so, if it helps to improve the future techniques and workflow.

•  

Well done! To be honest, i usually had enough, once i pass the 5 or 6 renders mark. 25! Thats what i call commitment!  ;) But well worth it. More so, if it helps to improve the future techniques and workflow.

I found the biggest thing is I learned is when something doesn't feel right ...to stop and figure it out right then...because going back to a small issue later can create a nightmare to fix. Overall the amount of things i learned an applied to this one render will certainly provide a good amount of tools i will continually use in the future. I love the fact that there is so much to this program I seem to learn something almost everytime i open it up.

• dreamcatcherphoto said:

I found the biggest thing is I learned is when something doesn't feel right ...to stop and figure it out right then...because going back to a small issue later can create a nightmare to fix. Overall the amount of things i learned an applied to this one render will certainly provide a good amount of tools i will continually use in the future. I love the fact that there is so much to this program I seem to learn something almost everytime i open it up.

I would say it depends...

While i am kinda the nitpicking guy and could spend hours on just fixing a single pose, i found it more reasonable to first roughly set up the entire scene and not get lost in all these nitpickings.
    Quite often, i spent hours on fixing a single figure, only to have to do it again due to a later change of setting and camera angle, which required me to adjust the pose, which led to new pokethroughs, which led to changes to clothing pieces or props..

With a rough scene as overview, i get an idea if it could work out as i envisioned it. Then, one by one, i work on refining it. The most prominent parts first, then in descending order of importance, only to come back to the main subjects/objects again for a final validation check.

Of course, the work on renders is a bit different than what i do when working on a 3d-printable. The latter does not need as many adjustments, because the lighting/atmosphere is of little importance. (unless i want to create a promo render)
    For these projects, most of the work is done in later stages (mostly in Blender). For 3D-printables, i would guess, that i spend at least 10 hours in Blender for each hour i spent in DAZ. (because i suck even more in Blender than i do in DAZ  ;)  )

Enough said. A new month ahead. With a new challenge to talk about.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,861

This challenge is actually closed for a while already, but you knew that.

the showcase most likely will come up on Monday

• Hellkitty742Hellkitty742 Posts: 47
    edited November 2023

Linwelly said:

Thank you for the update....I was wondering...this being my first challenge, I was not sure how it all worked.

Post edited by Hellkitty742 on

dreamcatcherphoto said:

Linwelly said:

Thank you for the update....I was wondering...this being my first challenge, I was not sure how it all worked.

we're sorry for that, sometimes life comes in the way

• Linwelly said:

dreamcatcherphoto said:

Linwelly said:

we're sorry for that, sometimes life comes in the way

Totally understandable ..I am just rather new to challenges I was curious if there was some announcment or what would happen. 

Showcase for the New User Challenge October

Sorry again for the delay

Beginners Challenge: Atmosphere

dreamcatcherphoto Succubus in Chains

f.boschanski Surprise, surprise...

Intermediate Challenge Ghosts and Special Effects

A.Montoya Pirates

marconft6 Phantom Express

New User Welcome:

shack5876 Midnight Coach to Hell

• I learned so much during this challenge I really want to thank all who gave me advice and some hints and tips. Congratulations to all who participated there are some really good renders here. See you in the next challenge :)

• Thank you @Linwelly for your time and effort!
    Thanks to all the other participants. Its been a pleasure to be part of this.

• Congrats to the winners! Wonderful entries all around

• Aki3dAki3d Posts: 146

Thank you!