The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,146

Sfariah D said:

Also my iPad condition is getting worse.

Maybe you should see a doctor about that!   cheeky 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,365
    edited August 2023

is an "iPad" like an "iCrib", but hippier?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,619
    edited August 2023

Hubby's Samsung S Ultra 21 isn't so ultra. It's literally falling apart 1/8 inch in places. The glue looks like the saliva from the HH Gnasher by Herschal Hoffmeyer. Bought the phone in July 2021 with warranty but hubby often gets treated by phone so can't send it for repairs. I wrote the CEO (form on website) and said I'd be gluing it together with 6000 glue on You Tube to show others how to fix the same problem . . . and there are others. What I didn't say was I have hundreds of videos never uploaded sitting waiting for me to have a 'social coming out party' which may happen never.

Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,951

I just remembered the night shirt I have on right now is from Victoria.  I don't know which Victoria.  It is a secret.

• LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  This morning I've watched the DAZ home page change it's menu behavior at least three times.angry  Doesn't anybody test things off-line anymore?  Or has everything gotten so complicated and obtuse that nobody makes a real effort to tidy up their house before inviting people in?  Back in my day, people would get fired (or at least intensly scowled at by management) for showing your dirty undies.cheeky

It's called A/B(/C...) testing - seeing how it works with actual customers in their real interactions with the site, not something that can really be done offline.

'Nother complaint:  My ancient WinXP machine is still dead.  Although after some cable swapping and hitting with an appropriate hammer, there seems to be nothing wrong with either of the CD/DVD drives. Yay!  HOWEVER, the system still doesn't boot, indicating instead that it can't find a file to get started booting XP.sad  So, bold as a bear, I removed the "C\" hard drive to see if I could analyze it or restore the missing file, by attaching it as an exernal drive to one of my modern machines, but rediscovered to my chagrin that it is a PATA drive and I now have to dig into my boxes of parts to try to find my long stored & almost forgotten SATA-->PATA  adapter.  Failing that, I could, of course, test it in my other WinXP machine.enlightened But that entails crawling on the floor, disconnecting wires, opening yet another machine and replacing one of the internal drives. [sigh]  These days the floor is so far away.frown  Also, I could dig in my boxes and find a PCI-bus, PATA controller card, but finding a working one and it's driver, is also problematic.frown  Failing all of that, I could dig out my WinXP CD & major upgrades files, to rebuild the system from scratch, but that also has lurking pitfalls and I still need to verify that the hard drive is completely functional.frown(Although I do have a spare 80GB PATA drive if push came to shove.  Yes, only 80GB, Isn't it amazing how far we've come in 20 years?)

So much work for so little gain.  I want to say, "Oh, you're no fun anymore."cheeky

I was wondering if I load Genesis 8.1 and then install some new morphs, would the loaded copy of Genesis 8.1 be updated with those morphs?

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,396

The Atmosphere is pressuring me. 

edited August 2023

Non-complaint:  Well, I know what's wrong with my 20 year old WinXP computer.  The hard drive died hard.sad  I guess doing a full surface scan was too much for its ancient innards.

In the bottom of my box-o-disk-stuff I found an old USB external drive case for PATA drives.  The boogered drive is a Maxtor 160GB drive that held the System partition and the Recovery partition.  A second hard drive (80GB) is OK and held backup data so I do have all the manuals, BIOS's & drivers for it.  Yay!yes  And I do have a brand new, still in the box, WD-800 80GB hard drive to replace the 160GB drive with.  So, since the rest of the machine now seems to be fully functional, I think my Sunday is going to be spent making pentagons of candles, summoning the deamon XP from the depths of history and manifesting it new within the shell of the machine.  Mwaa-ha-ha...devil  Let's see what evil lurks in the shadows.

edited August 2023

AgitatedRiot said:

Perhaps you should panic and breathe harder to use it up faster to lower the pressure. devil

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,044

AgitatedRiot said:

Atmospeer Pressure is difficult to deal with sometimes, but don't give in and collapse under its weighty demands... you don't have to live in a vacuum, but you shouldn't just be bossed around by its crushing expectations... be your own you... your one and only you, the you, you'd want yourself to be, the you you'd pal around with if it weren't for there being only one you... Don't let Atmospeer pressure, pressure you into anything you don't want to do... don't let Atmospeer pressure hold you down... that's gravity's job.

Sfariah D said:

My phone decided to take a screenshot of this thread.  No clue why.

Have you tried an ointment or balm of any sort?... are the iPads isolated or growing in clumps... when you touch them does it hurt or ooze viscous yellow fluids while playing classical Hungarian folk music?

I have no idea what any of that would indicate, but it seems pretty unfortunate and you should probably see a doctor and definitely stop kissing stray marsupials on the lips... if you do that sort of thing... if not, don't start... it's very hard to stop and socially awkward... were one to do that.

Whatever is going on, just don't scratch them or pick at them... wait for them to mature and fall off on their own... then you can sell them for a healthy profit.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,962

McGyver said:

Sfariah D said:

Have you tried an ointment or balm of any sort?... are the iPads isolated or growing in clumps... when you touch them does it hurt or ooze viscous yellow fluids while playing classical Hungarian folk music?

I have no idea what any of that would indicate, but it seems pretty unfortunate and you should probably see a doctor and definitely stop kissing stray marsupials on the lips... if you do that sort of thing... if not, don't start... it's very hard to stop and socially awkward... were one to do that.

Whatever is going on, just don't scratch them or pick at them... wait for them to mature and fall off on their own... then you can sell them for a healthy profit.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,646

Why are music videos all shot in ultra-ultra-widescreen these days?

Just realized that my daz content was being installed in the "wrong" area.  At least the new DIM can uninstall everything but the software.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

McGyver said:

Sfariah D said:

ROFLlaugh 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,146

Happy Birthday, tjohn!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    DanaTA said:

Happy Birthday, tjohn!

Dana Thankyou,

DanaTA said:

Happy Birthday, tjohn!

+1yes  Eat a cookie.

edited August 2023

Complaint:  Arghhh... 'puter problems getting worse.  Still trying to determine the severity of the hard disk problem from my old WinXP machine.  I'd tried testing it in a USB external drive enclosure and it failed to even register with the computer I plugged it into.  So, I bit the bullet, and decided to test it internally, directly connected to a SATA port.  That required me to crawl on the floor, and disconnect a relatively accesible machine (the others are all blocked into my workbench areas and plumbed into the nest of wiring that is my lab.  However, a couple of outliers are easier to get to.)  The accesible machine uses SATA connectors but I have the adapters to let it use the wonky PATA hard drive.  So, I get that diagnostic computer onto my bench, open it up, plug in a keyboard, mouse, power, & LAN, (still haven't connected the wonky disk yet) then turn it on just to make sure it works OK before I connect the wonky disk, and I get bupkis.surprise   The POST starts but immediately hangs asking me to press F10 for "SETUP".  But the keyboard isn't responsive.  No amount of wire jiggling, and swearing helped until once (and only once so far) the F10 key responded but after exiting back to the BIOS, it failed to proceed.  Arghhh... frown This was a perfectly functional machine just a few days ago when I let it run a Win10 update, which proceeded without error.sad  

So, now my tiny apartment is again littered with open boxes and 'puter parts spread on the floors & tables, and I now have two dead computers.crying  This is definitely not fun anymore.angry

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Arghhh... 'puter problems getting worse.  Still trying to determine the severity of the hard disk problem from my old WinXP machine.  I'd tried testing it in a USB external drive enclosure and it failed to even register with the computer I plugged it into.  So, I bit the bullet, and decided to test it internally, directly connected to a SATA port.  That required me to crawl on the floor, and disconnect a relatively accesible machine (the others are all blocked into my workbench areas and plumbed into the nest of wiring that is my lab.  However, a couple of outliers are easier to get to.)  The accesible machine uses SATA connectors but I have the adapters to let it use the wonky PATA hard drive.  So, I get that diagnostic computer onto my bench, open it up, plug in a keyboard, mouse, power, & LAN, (still haven't connected the wonky disk yet) then turn it on just to make sure it works OK before I connect the wonky disk, and I get bupkis.surprise   The POST starts but immediately hangs asking me to press F10 for "SETUP".  But the keyboard isn't responsive.  No amount of wire jiggling, and swearing helped until once (and only once so far) the F10 key responded but after exiting back to the BIOS, it failed to proceed.  Arghhh... frown This was a perfectly functional machine just a few days ago when I let it run a Win10 update, which proceeded without error.sad  

So, now my tiny apartment is again littered with open boxes and 'puter parts spread on the floors & tables, and I now have two dead computers.crying  This is definitely not fun anymore.angry

I hate when you try to troubleshoot and have computer parts thrown asunder. No matter what you do, the dead machine makes you Agitated, and you want to throw a Riot in your house. 

edited August 2023

Non-complaint:  Ah ha!  I found the problem with the keyboard issue.yes  This system doesn't work with a SATA>PATA adapter.surprise  Before testing the wonky disk, in the SATA suported diagnostic machine I'd not yet connected the adapter to the disk, but when I'd opened the computer case, I noticed that the DVD drive already had a SATA>PATA adapter but it looked like it had come loose and was dangling behind the drive, so I plugged it back in.(which turned out to be a mistake)  This known good system then failed to boot.no When I finally ran out of things to test, I disconnected the DVD drive and now everything works again.  But if I leave the DVD disconnected and attach the wonky hard drive via it's own SATA>PATA adapter, the system goes wonky again in exactly the same way.frown  So, it seems that the SATA>PATA adapters I've used successfully in other machines, don't work in this one for some reason.  And the reason that the DVD was still in the machine but unconnected, was apparently deliberate.  I do remember, a year or so ago, trying to replace the DVD in that 2008 era machine and only having a brand new, still in the box, PATA DVD drive available in my box-o-disk-stuff, and having to use the adapter, but I think I remember that it didn't work and I gave up without remembering to someday go back in and figure out why the DVD drive was causing problems.  Apparently, it wasn't the drive, but the adapter.surprise  

This leads me to consider that I'm not using the adapter properly.indecision  I'm wondering if the PATA disk drive and DVD drive "Master/Slave/CableSelect" jumpers need to be looked at?  And that the reason that it has worked in the past on other drives is just luck of jumper selection and not some obscure electronic foible.indecision

Edited to add:  Nope, it's an electronic foible.  I checked all the M/S/CS jumpers on both the hard drive and the DVD.  Nothing helps, and no other adjustments available.  Apparently, I can't use these SATA>PATA adapters in this machine.no

Non-complaint:  Wheee... shopping time again.  Time to get a new SATA DVD drive.yes  At least they're cheap these days.

Complaint:  And now if I want to continue to test that boogered 160GB hard drive internally, I'll have to disconnect my other 20 year old WinXP machine, put it on my bench, and use it to test the wonky drive.  Anybody wanna take bets on whether I end up with three dead machines?frown  I just hope that out of all this confusion and mess, that I can save that wonky disk without having to reformat it.

Words Of Wisdom:  Don't look too closely at things that aren't broken.  I often tell my doctor that too.smiley

edited August 2023

People think I'm joking about these anthropomorphic cats with thumbs (polydactyl) who can walk on their hind legs like people and can talk... 

That's pretty much what most cats speaking human languages sound like (except for one that sounded more like Sean Connery*)... that's why most cats in movies sound ridiculous... most real cats have very meowie voices... it's actually very adorable when they sing... but they get really insulted if you get too "OMG" when they sing their planetary anthem**.

Don't worry, they are just an order of space cats from the future who've been living on earth trying to guide humanity towards a better future to make amends for many of their ancestors being selfish jerks... it's complicated and if I ever finish my book, it'll be fully explained in better detail... but don't think you are going nuts if you catch a cat talking or pouring itself a cup of coffee (cats actually invented K-cups machines because it's easier to get a cup of coffee that way than to have to lift a whole carafe)... believe your eyes and ears*** sometimes crazy things aren't a hallucination... mostly they are, but sometimes they aren't... it's really a crap shot and it's quite possible you've gone completely bonkers, but it's a crazy universe, so don't worry, you'll fit right in.

* Not the late James Bond actor, the deli store owner from Astoria, Queens... (he got punched in the throat by an orangutan when he was a kid and his voice was very meowie... deep meowie, but meowie)... (also the smoking and sword swallowing didn't help)

** If you haven't paid attention (and why would you), they are space cats from a far off planet in the future, who descended from earth cats in the past... it's complicated and highly classified, but since there is something really off in this timeline, it hardly matters at this point.

*** Unless they are transplants... then they might be trying to get you to give them back to their original owner by messing with you.

Post edited by McGyver on

Happy Birthday tJohn!... (I copied what Dana said... even if I knew what day it was, I'd never remember, I'm awful at dates)... (figs too).

McGyver said:

I'm awful at dates)... (figs too).

So, do you get awkward on dates and talk too much about your EX?

My mum's furry friend Misty can say Snack but it comes out similar to 'mack.  My mum's friend Oscar can say something similar to mom.

• Today I had to apologize to the Lab for calling him a bad dog because he growled at the Collie for no reason. Turned out he was either telling the collie, "Chewing on a pencil is stupid, Stupid, and will upset Mommy!" or "Mommy, Gilly is eating a pencil!"

Neither doggo was harmed; they are both lazing around the house now. And yes, I do own the world's ditziest collie 

I am trying to reinstall my content to my computer.  I put it in the wrong folder, so I had to uninstall it and reinstall it in the right area.

I want to make sure I have Victoria stuff downloaded.  Talking about Victoria, what is the difference between Victoria 1 and Victoria 2?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,551
    edited August 2023

Sfariah D said:

I am trying to reinstall my content to my computer.  I put it in the wrong folder, so I had to uninstall it and reinstall it in the right area.

I want to make sure I have Victoria stuff downloaded.  Talking about Victoria, what is the difference between Victoria 1 and Victoria 2?

Victoria 2 has the same geometry as Victoria 1 but Victoria 2 has more morphs. 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Non-Compliant: My wife likes Nascar, me not so much. I walked into the room to see this yesterday.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,962

looks like a Matchbox toy on the little plastic ramps my little brother used to play with

This discussion has been closed.