DAZ Studio 4.5 Release Candidate Available Now

Comments

• Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

Really confused as to why DAZ keeps making new features and neglecting the old ones that are bugged.
    Reading over this thread it is obvious that the new features are flawed too.
    Please stop it please,
    Please stop adding new things and fix the old broken ones please.
    Why the new Duff Files? They should at least be a choice for us if we want to use them or not.
    I never had problems saving things with the other file types, why in the world would you remove the old file types and replace them with something flawed?
    What I'm waiting for;
    Add new (clothing) projection templets like dresses, shoes, hair etc. to the Transfer Utility
    Option to remove the new list in the library, the one that has the “Formats” “Products” “Categories” and such, I am not using the metadata so this new list only slows me down when I need to switch between the Studio and Poser Library’s
    Simultaneous “Docked View Controls” and the "Camera Cube" like we once could in DS3?

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Anyone else getting error windows claiming Duplicate IDs when applying Smart Content onto Genesis?

Yes, this is an issue with some older content. The files may have been updated - many have - but if not I do have a fix script that deals with most of them here http://www.4shared.com/zip/oY0vbkJk/Fix_Duplicate_IDs.html

Not shure if it should be, but 4shared is asking me to 'join or login' when I try to download the file.

• FroschGottFroschGott Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

Why the new Duff Files? They should at least be a choice for us if we want to use them or not.
    I never had problems saving things with the other file types, why in the world would you remove the old file types and replace them with something flawed?

You can still save as *.daz using File/Save As/Deprecated/Scene (or Ctrl+Shift+S)
    Those files seem to be real *.daz-files and work. :)

At first I was happy about the new files, cause it seemed that there was a real workflow with Carrara.
    I'm still full of hope. :)

Post edited by FroschGott on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,914
    edited May 2012

Since the search function isn't, errr.... Functioning, I would still like to post this question...

Is it possible to install a DS 4.5 Standard 32/64 along with my DS 4 Pro 64? As I think it would be better to allow this setup, especially since the majority of DS users here already have DS Pro 64 installed along with all of their plugins.

No, since they are different versions of the same application (the difference is which add-ons are enabled, and in fact your Pro serial will make the RC Pro too).

Thanks for that bit of info, I figured that was the case, just needed some confirmation. BTW, Congrats on your new promo!

!_TZOKHEGIN2.jpg
    100 x 78 - 8K
    Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • TralenTralen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

An unified file format is an enormous improvement, I, for one, welcome the change. Now I hope there is some reworking on the folder structure.

• tekuntekun Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm simply amazed at all the issues people are having with this version, it makes me pause before grabbing this.

I would like to make a general statement to DAZ as a whole, when putting out new versions of the program it's not that difficult to have it install into a new program folder to allow one to run the older stable version along side the newer version. I have both DS3A and DS4Pro (the latest prior to the RC one) install on my unit and both work perfectly side-by-side at the SAME TIME, content folders are shared in My Docs and settings are of course separate in the AppData folders same could be easily done within the same major version numbers.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

A number of items were updated in March and April for this issue -- if resetting the download doesn't give a newer version, please report it on the Bug Tracker.

Is there any list of updated files around?
    In fact I don't want to reset my downloads on a regular base in hope there might be any update.

The old update forum:
    http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewforum.php?f=91

• FroschGottFroschGott Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ah, thanx.
    I'm gonna have a glance over it. :)

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Just wondering, what use has the new Push modifier? It creates some depth on the mesh depending on how high you set the value there, but what use is intended for this one?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

tekun said:
    I'm simply amazed at all the issues people are having with this version, it makes me pause before grabbing this.

I would like to make a general statement to DAZ as a whole, when putting out new versions of the program it's not that difficult to have it install into a new program folder to allow one to run the older stable version along side the newer version. I have both DS3A and DS4Pro (the latest prior to the RC one) install on my unit and both work perfectly side-by-side at the SAME TIME, content folders are shared in My Docs and settings are of course separate in the AppData folders same could be easily done within the same major version numbers.

There seem to have been relatively few issues, as long as users allow for the fact that plugins need updating (but there weren't many plugins updated to DS4 anyway). DS4.5 will also coexist with DS3 - what it won't coexist with is an earlier version of DS4 - you need to remember that DS is more tightly linked to other things (such as the CMS) and has had content updates which may not be backward-compatible with the previous builds (and the CMS means you can't have multiple content setups).

edited May 2012

heinz0r said:
    Just wondering, what use has the new Push modifier? It creates some depth on the mesh depending on how high you set the value there, but what use is intended for this one?

I quoted some comments on this from the old thread at one point, but I'm not sure where the post has gone. It's useful for making a quick body suit, or a hair overlay, or anything else where you want an offset copy of the base mesh.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • beregarberegar Posts: 241
    edited December 1969

Kyrla said:
    Kyrla said:
    Vos1327 said:
    Beregar--how's this for a mess? I installed 4,5 and now all of the .duf files are opening like this. I only upgraded to 4.5 because I was having issues with the Supersuit--it kept crashing Daz 4. At this point, I want my 4.0 back--this is miserable. Is it possible to reinstall DAZ 4?

I have the same mess with Victoria 5. All is fine but after saving and reloading the DUF file Victoria looks like the same like in Vos1327 picture.
    Is there a way to fix that???
    It can't be that we always have to load the figure new, position it, put clothes on and and and...after saving and reloading.

no help for this???

It's apparently fixed in a newer version if the root cause is same. I removed 4.5 but actually just reinstalled it after some kind soul pointed out here you can still save the files in older format. It actually seems to be a save format issue so if you keep saving the files in daz format instead of duf format while using 4.5 they work fine.

• edited December 1969

thank you beregar - I will try that:-)

But I really wonder why nobody of the admins is helping and saying something to that......

• Aneet ProductionsAneet Productions Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

I not sure if this has been asked yet but, I had a quick question is there suppose to be a serial code for Mimic Live?

• visiblemanvisibleman Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

Fay68 said:
    I not sure if this has been asked yet but, I had a quick question is there suppose to be a serial code for Mimic Live?

GOOD QUESTION!

I would also like to know about Mimic Live. Infact...I've been asking about it for SEVERAL MONTHS now but it's all good.

I would really, REALLY like an answer as to where Mimic Live is, I've lost track of how many times I've downloaded Mimic. It seems like a really nice plugin... Wish I could Actually USE IT!

Any help on Mimic is more than welcomed.

yep...

edited December 1969

Mimic Live is a separate purchase, a far as I know.

edited December 1969

It comes in the Candidate Bundle.

Once again, we're getting it for free and can't use it.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited May 2012

czexana said:
    Anyone else getting error windows claiming Duplicate IDs when applying Smart Content onto Genesis?

Yes, this is an issue with some older content. The files may have been updated - many have - but if not I do have a fix script that deals with most of them here http://www.4shared.com/zip/oY0vbkJk/Fix_Duplicate_IDs.html

Not shure if it should be, but 4shared is asking me to 'join or login' when I try to download the file.
    Hey Richard, did you see this response? I'm getting this too.
    Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited December 1969

czexana said:

Sorry, that has been pointed out before. I believe 4Shared now requires an account to download. I'm not sure what currently offers free file hosting that works for most >:(

edited December 1969

The plugin may come with the base installer, as others do, but that doesn't mean it is being given free - it just means the plugin is there ready when you buy a serial number.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

tekun said:

There seem to have been relatively few issues, as long as users allow for the fact that plugins need updating (but there weren't many plugins updated to DS4 anyway). DS4.5 will also coexist with DS3 - what it won't coexist with is an earlier version of DS4 - you need to remember that DS is more tightly linked to other things (such as the CMS) and has had content updates which may not be backward-compatible with the previous builds (and the CMS means you can't have multiple content setups).

Just to be pedantic... If you know what you're doing, the CMS makes it EASIER to have multiple content setups and quicker to switch between them. Not to mention, the ability to filter content visibility between machines, users, projects, etc.

The CMS is a great tool. Especially for those who are willing to learn. The main complaint I have is that it is too heavily tied to ValentinaDB via the code. Someone like me should be allowed to use other, more capable, SQL databases.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Thank you for the response Richard. :O)

edited December 1969

The plugin may come with the base installer, as others do, but that doesn't mean it is being given free - it just means the plugin is there ready when you buy a serial number.

Well Thank You Richard.

That's all I was asking and that's what I meant by Daz giving us a download for free. However, this is the reason there has been so much confusion because it's not an actual Working Download and its not even a TRIAL.
    This has happened before and we got no real answer the last time.

So that download is just included to what...To remind people that it exists so that we can ask about it and purchase it?
    That still doesn't make too much sense cus most people won't know that. To Us/Them it just feels like we're getting something that doesn't even work compounded by the fact that it takes so long to get a response on Mimic Live unless its in an important thread like this.

But its cool. Now I know.

But it might make more since to NOT include that download in anymore bundles like this since its not be given for free since its basically a useless download (that's not even a trial) taking up unnecessary space.

And another thing....

I see that you locked my post, that's fine but....I'm not the on that raise the issue. The Poster Fay86 did in this thread and I just responded to his remark and then decided to start my own thread just to get your attention to finally get an answer. FYI

So Thanks Again.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited May 2012

czexana said:

Sorry, that has been pointed out before. I believe 4Shared now requires an account to download. I'm not sure what currently offers free file hosting that works for most >:(

Hey Richard,

Ran your script on a folder of dsf clothing files that were returning Dup ID errors and it WORKS! DUDE! AWESOME! Your hired. OK, one request... Can you please make an updated version that can do batches of folders?? I gotta allot of clothes that need updating. This would be very helpful! :-) Would also be nice if the script could be set up to remember the last folder it was in! :-)

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    czexana said:

Hey Richard,

Ran your script on a folder of dsf clothing files that were returning Dup ID errors and it WORKS! DUDE! AWESOME! Your hired. OK, one request... Can you please make an updated version that can do batches of folders?? I gotta allot of clothes that need updating. This would be very helpful! :-) Would also be nice if the script could be set up to remember the last folder it was in! :-)

I second that request. Pretty Please, and thank you Richard :O)

edited December 1969

As I said in the other thread, I'm wary of making the script batch process folders for several reasons - speed (admittedly with an early draft that was slower, but I did have Windows tell me DS had stopped responding when I ran the script on a folder with a lot of files - one of the PC sets I think) and safety (both to avoid confusion if it hits an error and aborts and to discourage it from processing non-object .dsf files like materials). I will look at this again as I have time, but my instinct is still to keep it to one folder at a time. One option I did consider was to allow the user to select files in the Content Library (it would have to be there, and not in in the Category or Product lists) and have the script process those without asking for any more input - would that be OK? (As long as you are using one of the actual folders in the Content Library to view your content it should already be opening the fiel dialogue on that folder, and you can select multiple files to process within the folder.)

• Grim-RedGrim-Red Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

i reported this release as to the CC because :

1) the serial number DOESN'T work properly. every time i'm forced to type it again.
    2)no way to use the previous version of the program (says "no importer found")
    3)All the old saves are GONE and without the chance to use the old version, in poor words, i can say i've lost 3 weeks of work.
    4)No way to send files to Bryce, it causes crash, so you loose what you've done in DAZ (so SAVE every 30 seconds or less)
    5)same problem if you try to send the files to Hexagon.

So....i suggest to DON'T istall this update till will be stable enough.

Ok is free, but it doesn't mean is nice to have a product not stable and ready to be used. (at least let me have back my previous version :( )

i take this chance to say thanks for the kindness of the admin who helped me a lot ( REALLY, a lot!!) and i hope the technical dept will be able to fix this disaster soon as possible (same problems with Hexagon dowload, and with few PAID items)

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166
    edited December 1969

So Far (knock on wood) I have had no issues what so ever on the RC. in fact a few times I had to double check the version I was running to make sure it said 4.5 Pro LOL. Any who biggest difference I have noticed and I am Glad for is the speed in the Viewport on large scenes and the speed on loading the DUF files. I did not loose any of my old files or old work. I think Daz needs to come up with a Create specific scene and report issues thingy ... you know where all users who have RC follow step by step and see how many report back an issue. everyone would be required to report back along with PC info. the test would need to utilize all areas of DAZ using products and plugins that come with the standard release. any additional items that would need to be tested with should be provided for free :)... just a thought.....

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

Well one thing that really irks me so far is that the load time for DS to get the UI is not lightening fast... in fact it's taken up to a full minute before it displays the UI. Then Genesis is taking forever to load up as well.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited May 2012

I'm taking the plunge...wish me luck!

Just starting to try it out. Some tasks definitely seem faster; others not so much. Already noticed one problem: DS included content (Aldora Hair, Journeyer Scout, etc.) doesn't seem to be working (not sure if that's been addressed already...I've read through most but not all of this thread). The error is: Error reading file, see log for more details. Unfortunately, the log file has the same message with no additional details...

Edited to add...saving in the new file format is SO much faster. I've got a slow computer, so the speed improvements are definitely appreciated. :) And my previous saved files seem to have come through OK.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on