October 2015 New User Contest (WIP-THREAD)

1111213141517»

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I wish everyone the best of luck!!!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Yes luck to eveyone and its been a great experience to see how we all evolved from beginning point to finish.  Learned a ton, not just from my entry but from everyone's!  I hope you all come back for next months challenge

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    Great thread this month everyone, picked up a lot of top tips so huge thanks to all of you, amazing renders all round.

So I wonder what we are doing for November.

• Sonja11 said:

So I wonder what we are doing for November.

You and me both Sonja11.  Best of luck to everyone who entered.

Whatever November brings I'm sure it'll be fun and we'll all learn a load more!!

I amexcited for Novembers challenges woot woot!!!

"Be Patient lil grasshopper" ......... OMG I jut can't wait!!!laugh

I know me too!  I keep checking back to see if its been posted yet lol.

Sonja11 said:

Same here keep checking to see if that new post is the new contest giggles!!!

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited November 2015
    Sonja11 said:

Same here keep checking to see if that new post is the new contest giggles!!!

Same here, as well as seeing if they've chosen the winners for october.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
    So every time one of us posts here we all rush in to check if the November comp is active lol

Yes that's about right KA1 lol.

So......... how is everyone? 

Well I am just getting over a bad cold but doing okies now!!

How r u doing KA1?

• Jumping to this thread everytime someone posts!!! You guys are killing me!!! laugh  I've uploaded a new render to my gallery while waiting for the results.  My sewing machine died while I was in the middle of a couple of projects so I had to go out and get a new.  Man, things have changed since I bought my old sewing machine 20 some odd years ago.  The new one is lighter, quieter and has a whole lot more stitches than the old one and it has some features that my old one didn't.  All for under $200, too, so I'm a happy lady.  So, how is everyone else?  I'm having a hard time finding the patience to wait until the new theme for November is announced.  I want to hurry up and get started already.

edited November 2015
    Oh WOW, I don't even have a First Efforts section for my gallery, if I did you'd see just how badly I started out!! Nice work @knittingmommy
    Post edited by KA1 on
  • KA1 said:
    Oh WOW, I don't even have a First Efforts section for my gallery, if I did you'd see just how badly I started out!! Nice work @knittingmommy

@KA1 Yeah, I wasn't sure if I should put all of my bad efforts out there, but I'm glad I did.  Looking at the gallery shows me exactly how far I've come along with learning all of these techniques.  I also like having my first efforts up so that I can do a side by side comparison when I do remakes of my earlier efforts.  Of course, that also means that EVERYONE ELSE can see just how bad my first efforts were.  At least, I think I'm showing improvement.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited November 2015
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
  • DollyGirl said:

Hah!! That is what I get for only getting 4 hours of sleep last night.  I can't believe I missed that!!!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2015

Chohole can be sneaky sometimes. They left me the keys to the moving van and a pot of glue, so I could hang it up in the correct forum while no one was looking. 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Chohole said:

Chohole can be sneaky sometimes. They left me the keys to the moving van and a pot of glue, so I could hang it up in the correct forum while no one was looking. 

For shame!!! @Chohole.  How could you?  wink

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Chohole said:

I nearly spewed my Diet Pepsi on the monitor.  Download your free smiley

• MBAIRD said:

icecrmn, Fair question. it really goes to workflow and ti becomes foar more useful in animations than in still rendering. I am looking at all these tools for use in my short films so i am way more conserned with how they work for moving shots. What I have picked up from looking at how the pros do this in movies is that they do multiple passes in the three D software and then put them together in the compositing engine. Why? Several factors. the most obvious of which is time. Working in Daz only, if you make a change, drastic or subtle, then you have to wait for the render engine to re calculate everything, not just the change you made and show you the new image, then you decide if you like it, then you make another change.... etc. The way the pros seem to do it is that they run multiple passes in the render engine, one for surfaces, one for specular, one for transparancy, etc etc. they also do the 'world coordinate pass" which basicly assignes each point in the image a color based on it's position in3d space. the x axis is mapped to the red channel, the Y is maped to green and the Z is mapped to Blue. if you do a 32 bit floating point image that gives you a lot of precision and by looking at the color of a single pixel the compositor knows exactly where that point is in 3d space. THen they put everything back together in a compostining engine where changes can be seen in real time. SO, with the world coordinate info you can re light a particular surface on a moving shot without effecting other surfaces and without haveing to track the shot or go back to your 3d software to make the change and you can do it, often, in faster then real time. In the example I gave, I could adjust the paramiters of the fog in real time and see the results in real time. the fog falls effect builds as it moves further and further away from the camera, just like in real life, and the compositing engine knows ecactly where each building face is. In thirty seconds I saw more looks then I could render in DAZ in a day.

I have probably explained it poorly. here is a tutorial that explains it better and gives an example of how to use it. 

the software demoed is now free from Black Magic Design (Fusion) if you want to pick it up and play around with it.

MB

I have been looking back in the thread for this.  It looks very cool!  I've downloaded it and installed. I've used Nuke and Combustion a bit, and this looks along the same lines which is great!  Thanks for the information!! 

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

I just found this thread! Its great to see all the attention being given to atmosphere. I've created a few products and worked on co-products around this theme— they have all had their unique challenges and rewards.

It's been very important for me to work on these effects as when I first started working in 3D it was one of the main missing qualities, without it the scenes with any depth just looked so flat. You can really get a lot of realism by just adding the slightest touch of haze.  

• Marshian said:

I just found this thread! Its great to see all the attention being given to atmosphere. I've created a few products and worked on co-products around this theme— they have all had their unique challenges and rewards.

It's been very important for me to work on these effects as when I first started working in 3D it was one of the main missing qualities, without it the scenes with any depth just looked so flat. You can really get a lot of realism by just adding the slightest touch of haze.  

@Marshian This was a really great theme to work with.  I think we all had a lot of fun with it and I think we all came away with some new skills.  You should take a look at December's thread where winter is the theme.  I've been using your Above the Fog product and I have some in progress pics posted turning it into snow.  Some endeavors more successful than others, but I just posted the final version to the entry thread and it turned out very nice.