Object imported from blender into Daz don’t import materials

Anything I import from blender into Daz that has embedded materials imported as all grey no materials. The models are usually fbx files with materials applied and work fine in blender but when imported from blender into Daz as obj (which I do to make multiple mesh objects one single mesh which is a MUST) they lose their materials and import as grey objects. I tried 2.9x to 3.x blender versions. Is there a fix or am I doing something wrong or not doing something I should be?

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,801
    edited April 2023

1. Check the obj file name first ~ never type in any space character in the file name when exporting. Continuous string or with underscores will be fine..
    2. In Export dialogue box, Scale 1%, tick Material - Export; ( ... while using blender 3.3 - 3.5. I cannot remember legacy obj export options in older blender version...)
    3. Import obj to Ds...

Obj format has limitations, e.g.: normal map goes to bump slot, no metallic, roughness map assigned, etc... You still have to configure the maps and params. manually.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • In 3.3 to 3.5 do I export as obj or legacy obj? And does the lack of spaces and special characters REALLY make a difference? I'm pretty sure I've exported stuff with spaces in the name fine in other formats. Maybe that's an obj specific issue?

• And why scale 1% when the original fbx files are not all the same scale?

• They're made using different metrics 

• OBJ has no inherent scale, the importer needs to be told what scale to use - which will usually be  the base unit of the application generating the OBJ file.

edited April 2023

milliethegreat said:

In 3.3 to 3.5 do I export as obj or legacy obj? And does the lack of spaces and special characters REALLY make a difference? I'm pretty sure I've exported stuff with spaces in the name fine in other formats. Maybe that's an obj specific issue?

Suggest obj, legacy is a bit slow when exporting. If there's any space character in file name, there'll be no texture after importing to Daz. Yes, it's wavefront obj foramt specific issue~ 

edited April 2023

milliethegreat said:

And why scale 1% when the original fbx files are not all the same scale?

Blender uses meter as default unit. If the dimensions of the object you made refer to the actual size, for instance an iPhone... You can either specify 1% when exporting from blender and use default Ds unit (100%) to import, or use 100% to export from blender and 1% to import to Ds... Otherwise you'll have a huge iPhone in the scene and still have to re-scale it.... FBX format is the same and you have to specify FBX Unit Scaling when exporting...

but anyway, it's up to you loh~~

• Interesting. I'm gonna try all these tips out today and see if it helps