The Black House series by 3DStyle - Anyone have renders/comments to share?

Does anyone have any renders or comments they'd like to share about 3DStyle's The Black House series?

https://www.daz3d.com/the-black-house-base
https://www.daz3d.com/the-black-house--living-room--entrance
https://www.daz3d.com/the-black-house--bedroom
https://www.daz3d.com/the-black-house--bathroom-and-restroom
https://www.daz3d.com/the-black-house--dining-room
https://www.daz3d.com/the-black-house--tower-room

I've been tempted to get Tower Room and a couple other pieces for the props and furniture. However, I don't care for the color scheme.  It does look kind of useful for spooky renders or even film noir but it's not quite pulling off that black & white film look for me.

Also, the promo images aren't doing it for me. They look very flat and remind me of old Poser renders. Not saying that's bad just not the look I'm interested in.

They all seem to require "The Black House Base" and I'm really not interested in that. Is the Base actually required? Maybe for the Shaders?  

I really like that they did a whole house and I like the style of the props and furniture.  I'm hoping someone's renders or comments might push some of these into my cart.

Thanks

Comments

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,320

Apparently the doors and windows are also not rigged to open and close.

• RangerRickRangerRick Posts: 256

Faeryl Womyn said:

Ugh. Well, that's a bit disappointing but not entirely suprising.

Wish I knew how well the set was selling.  I'd like more artists to do sets that fit together whether exterior environments or buildings with multiple interior rooms.  And I like the older Victorian and Gothic architecture more than modern.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,266
    edited April 2023

RangerRick said:

Faeryl Womyn said:

Ugh. Well, that's a bit disappointing but not entirely suprising.

Wish I knew how well the set was selling.  I'd like more artists to do sets that fit together whether exterior environments or buildings with multiple interior rooms.  And I like the older Victorian and Gothic architecture more than modern.

I'll start with a few renders of the Living Room. I'll post them later. 

Edit: No way to load all the complete rooms. The living room is about 12 gigs of video ram. When you load the room, it loads the exterior shell of the house. It can load space and props without loading the outer shell; I haven't tried that yet.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

Faeryl Womyn said:

Not an issue for me. I assume many others as well

AgitatedRiot said:

I'll start with a few renders of the Living Room. I'll post them later. 

Edit: No way to load all the complete rooms. The living room is about 12 gigs of video ram. When you load the room, it loads the exterior shell of the house. It can load space and props without loading the outer shell; I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks! Looking forward to them.  I'm mostly interested in the props so I guess the size of loading the whole room wouldn't be a problem for me.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited April 2023

It's an interesting concept,  and if I were closer to starting out with this, I'd have picked up some of the components just for the props included. Because some of those are very attractive and I could see using them. But I've been around since 2009, and I already have a *lot* of props in my content library.

As for the architecture... I'm not so sure. One of the early "rooms", I think it was the living room, I looked at and could see that the fireplace wasn't inset enough to actually have a chimney, and just kind of went, no. That's not a room. That's just pretending to be a room.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • hansmolleman33hansmolleman33 Posts: 218
    edited April 2023

I bought: the house - living room, bathroom (refunded) and bedroom (refunded).

Only the living room was worth purchasing because the bathroom and bedroom were just waaaaayyyyy too heavy to render. Sometimes I had to cancel my renders for the bathroom/bedroom because they were killing my computer.  The living room is fine as long as you delete EVERYTHING that is not visible by the camera before rendering or else the render will take ages to complete, and forget about rendering with more than 2 characters in the scene.

I have a high end rig and clearly the Black house as a whole is just a terrible product, poorly optimized. 

Post edited by hansmolleman33 on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,799

hansmolleman33 said:

Only the living room was worth purchasing because the bathroom and bedroom were just waaaaayyyyy too heavy to render. Sometimes I had to cancel my renders for the bathroom/bedroom because they were killing my computer.  The living room is fine as long as you delete EVERYTHING that is not visible by the camera before rendering or else the render will take ages to complete, and forget about rendering with more than 2 characters in the scene.

I have a high end rig and clearly the Black house as a whole is just a terrible product, poorly optimized. 

How much VRAM do you have, if I may ask, and what SUBD did you render your characters?

hansmolleman33 said:

Well, that's unfortunate. I suspect I'll have to be careful how many of the props I toss into a scene.  I have the Tower and the Living Room and Entrance sitting in my cart as I think about it.  Hmmm.

edited April 2023

All doors open. It uses over 12 gigs of VRAM, and Balcony is a little narrow. It allocated 38.675 MiB system plus Allocated 1.906 GiB. Nothing was deleted from the scene—entrance Hall with TBH bare shell. Scene lights only ISO of 200

Balcony View Cam.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Balcony.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Desk Cam.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Entrance Hall Cam.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Left Balcony View Cam.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Living Room Cam.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Right Balcony View Cam.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M

AgitatedRiot said:

All doors open. It uses over 12 gigs of VRAM, and Balcony is a little narrow. It allocated 38.675 MiB system plus Allocated 1.906 GiB. Nothing was deleted from the scene—entrance Hall with TBH bare shell. Scene lights only ISO of 200

Thanks!  That's all very useful.  I'll probably go ahead and pick up a couple items now and maybe others when on a bigger discount.

edited April 2023

It's about the same load for the Bathroom. I am rendering one now.

Edit: I am starting to love it. Nice old furniture. Different shaders and things. First time I am rendering it. 

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,320

If the doors open they should put that in a description, there are those that look for that option.

It's a gorgeous set, unfortunately I don't think my computer can handle how heavy it is. Would be nice to know what is making it so heavy...the rooms, the props, the textures, all of the above lol

Look at the walls. The reflections form the lights can make for a heavy scene.

bathroom.png
    2000 x 2600 - 6M

And with those dark textures I expect it needs a fair amount of light to light the room.  In fact the textures seem so dark to me that it must be very difficult to light a scene and see any details of the walls or props except (maybe) in close up.  Anyway, I did pick up most of the products and look forward to trying them out after I get some real life crap out of the way.

They made me think of some old movies like the 1945 "And Then There Were None", various Hammer Film Productions, Ltd films, and "House on Haunted Hill" type movies, etc.

Thanks for the renders and the info!

edited April 2023

If you do turn on the caustics, the room becomes bright, making you want to look away from your monitor. This is because most of the lights are geometry and create sparkles to be on the walls.

Edit: Without the geometry lights, it's very dark. Once I started messing with the lights, I noticed some things didn't look perfect, missed aligned textures on the floor lamps, and other items.

Light.png
    157 x 133 - 51K

Complete load of the black house. Rooms and all.

Complete load all rooms and props.png
    1920 x 1033 - 1M
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Well instead of a toilet with no lid that everyone complains about there is NO toilet!  LOL I guess you go outback and relieve yourself there!  cheeky

I had to use an outhouse when I was a kid back in the 60s.

• Hello, I bought these assets but I'm very disappointed (Base + Living). I loved it in the promo images and was eager to use it. I'm sorry to say this, but I find it catastrophic. It's the worst asset I've ever seen on the store. I don't even understand how it's published on a store of Daz3D's quality.
    Many textures are of very poor quality. The props are also poorly made. The room is very resource-intensive, even with a large graphics card. It took more than an hour to render the empty room in 4K. Resources are missing, I installed it via DIM and manually.
    Everything seems to have been rendered in textures shaded.

And on top of that, the room is unusable because the creator uses a lighting system to light everything, which makes the figures overexposed. And there is no really "free spots".

I'm going to ask for a refund, and I'm sorry about that. I really wanted to use this asset.
    I'm sorry if my words seem harsh, but they match my disappointment and surprise

2.png
    2049 x 1103 - 1M
    3.png
    1776 x 801 - 2M
    4.png
    1776 x 801 - 2M
    6.png
    1776 x 801 - 2M
    7.png
    964 x 514 - 102K
    9.png
    1776 x 801 - 2M

Seems like another nice idea poorly executed.  I think I'll hang on to the ones I bought and use them to learn about retexturing, etc.  The missing files are a bummer though.  I guess I'll have to open a service ticket to get those fixed.

• The missing files look like the Daz Studio issue with accented characters, rather than an actual bad path or missing file. Please report that to support.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,799

I was intrigued by the living room and bed room, but I'm kicking them off my wishlist after reading this thread. Seems like too much hassle. Bummer!

• MouserMouser Posts: 675
    edited May 2023

Yeah the miss-named files are also in the incorrect folder (data/3D Style instead of data/3DStyle).

Regarding the file names see: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/632506/the-black-house-base-missing-files#latest

Looks great once its sorted but disapointed that the windows & doors are fake.

I got this at a big discount so I am going to keep it but you will need a decent GPU to render it as it took my 3060 8.29 mins to render the base house.

Post edited by Mouser on
  • lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,082

I like them, but I would retexture the whole thing because it's just too dark.