Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• morkmork Posts: 278
    edited November 2015
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    [...]

If you want to try 4.9 with WINE I would recommend having it connect to a native Postgres, to prevent emulating things that really work better on Linux anyways.

I've been unable to install the beta through DIM, installation always failed. I copied the folder from the installation zip file then, but I'm sure that left out some parts of the installation process.

Uhm, could you point me in a direction on how to do that, please? I have postgres installed and running, but that's only the start I guess. :)
    Edit: I've been able to get it working. Man, that was not exactly easy. I'll try to create a small how-to tomorrow.
    Edit2: It does not really work. I have this in my log at first:

Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.4.5 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Ubuntu 4.9.2-10ubuntu13) 4.9.2, 64-bit

But further down I get lines like this:

WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in categoryGetRoot: Unable to connect to the database
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in needMigrate: Unable to connect to the database, can not quote
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in runNextTask-runTask: Unable to connect to the database
    Migration failed.
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in productGetAllFirstLetter: Unable to connect to the database
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in categoryGetRoot: Unable to connect to the database
    WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(167): Unexpected exception in contentGetByRelativePath: Unable to connect to the database
    WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
    WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
    A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established.  Several DAZ Studio features that require a valid PostgreSQL CMS connection, such as context aware content views and loading content installed using cloud services, will not be available.  Check your network, anti-virus, and firewall settings for conflicts.

This is my ConnectionURI:

"ConnectionURI" : "postgresql://daz:test@localhost:5432/dazcontent"

I'll give up for today/tonight.

Post edited by mork on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

I still haven't managed to get Studio 4.8 64bit running in wine yet, but I did manage to get the 32bit version of 4.8 installed along with my earlier DIM install.So far the only issue is getting it to talk to my native postgresql,,I'm working on that next.

I went the playsonlinux route.For the other source based guys, this can save some compile time because it has a GUI that allows you to download any version of wine in binary format. I had 1.7.51 compiled, but it's refusing to run any 64bit installer.

I'm getting alot of this in the console

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib64/libjemalloc.so.1' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.

I'm using the jemalloc thats been prelinked, so I'm going to have some reconfiguration to do later on this week. :)

After playsonlinux fetchs the 64bit staging version of wine I'll give it another try with my current build before I dive into swapping out my malloc again.

DIM seems to still be working well.Both DIM and Studio 32 bit can see the same content.Just don't have the CMS running yet.

Not sure just how important the CMS will be.

I can still find stuff with the Content Library pane.

heres my first Daz Studio on linux render :)

first linux render.jpg
    1149 x 877 - 71K

Ok,,so I fixed my prelinking issues, and it looks like I can install Studio 4.8 64bit under wine now.

heres a screenshot of the iray render in progress and also the finished render.

Iray works under linux in wine :)

/mic_drop

First_iray_render_on_linux.jpg
    1149 x 877 - 148K
    First iray render in linux_screenshot.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 219K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited November 2015

A couple of things.  DS4.9/64bit will start in Wine but many pieces are non-functional.  This is more a problem with Wine64 than DS.  Reporters should be careful when reporting that DS works in Wine.  DS has "worked" to one degree or another many times.  The last "mostly working" DS was 4.5 under Wine32 where almost everything worked.  Since 4.6 various parts of DS in WIne have been inoperable or eccentric.  Some revisions worked enough to create scenes and render, while other revisions failed on startup.  Under Wine64, there has never been a usable revision to my knowledge.

Also, DAZ_Rawb, I have both Linux native Valentina as well as working Wine'd Valentina's working from as far back as DS4.0

EDIT:  Somewhere in the DAZ Studio Software forum I had a step-by-step method for getting earlier versions of DS running under Linux and Wine.  I haven't looked to see if it survived both forum transitions or not yet.

Post edited by Kendall Sears on

I'll let DIM install the rest of my catalog, and I'll keep testing.

A non-functional Smart Content is considered a feature in some threads here on the forums :P lol

j/k ,,, I plan to see what I can do about that part tomorrow.It will take a while to let DIM do it's thing.

I plan to use PostgreSQL when I do. I'll keep you updated on how this goes :)

btw,,I posted screenshots of my iray render in progress, it is indeed working at the moment, but so far all I have installed are the G2F essentials and nothing more.So after I get all of my shaders and other stuff installed I'll be able to play around more.

I'm on a 64bit Gentoo linux, wine1.7.54-staging build 64bit.

• icecrmn said:

I'll let DIM install the rest of my catalog, and I'll keep testing.

A non-functional Smart Content is considered a feature in some threads here on the forums :P lol

j/k ,,, I plan to see what I can do about that part tomorrow.It will take a while to let DIM do it's thing.

I plan to use PostgreSQL when I do. I'll keep you updated on how this goes :)

btw,,I posted screenshots of my iray render in progress, it is indeed working at the moment, but so far all I have installed are the G2F essentials and nothing more.So after I get all of my shaders and other stuff installed I'll be able to play around more.

I'm on a 64bit Gentoo linux, wine1.7.54-staging build 64bit.

At the moment I don't have time to try the latest staging Wine.  I did do some tests with 4.9 with the last Wine I had installed on the system at the time, and while it started, not a lot worked well.  I keep hoping that we'll get back to the point like we were with 4.5 and everything will become tolerably stable again.  I really hate operating under Windows when I'm not developing.  

I tend to work under Fedora, CentOS, or Ubuntu depending on which machine I happen to be working on at the time. The latest Wine I have tested was 1.7.49 both 32 and 64.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

My 4.8 on WINE 1.7.53 is very stable and everything I've tried works, including most plugins (even the LAMH player).  The only thing that I've run into is a penchent for it to just die if it gets close to the 4 GB max for 32 bit.  There was a bit of a problem with 1.7.52, but 1.7.51 and earlier all worked fine...and even 4.7 worked well on here.  

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited November 2015

Well, I must say, this is all sounding very, very good indeed. With 4.9 so imminent, I may wait till it is fully live before I go and do anything. However, with DS being my last obstacle to going for Linux, I should, provided someone gives clear instructions for every step, be able to get this going as well. I'm super excited now.

What are render speeds like in Linux, comparable to Windows!?

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    mjc1016 said:

My 4.8 on WINE 1.7.53 is very stable and everything I've tried works, including most plugins (even the LAMH player).  The only thing that I've run into is a penchent for it to just die if it gets close to the 4 GB max for 32 bit.  There was a bit of a problem with 1.7.52, but 1.7.51 and earlier all worked fine...and even 4.7 worked well on here.  

Is there nothing in Linux that allows 32 bit programs to access more memory? In Windows, I have a program called Large Address Aware that allows 32 bit programs to access all available memory.

CHEERS!

Rogerbee said:

Is there nothing in Linux that allows 32 bit programs to access more memory? In Windows, I have a program called Large Address Aware that allows 32 bit programs to access all available memory.

CHEERS!

At what cost?

Soft solutions generally have a tremendous performance hit...

None that I can see, I have all my 32bit programs set up with it and they all work fine.

CHEERS!

edited November 2015

A couple of things.  DS4.9/64bit will start in Wine but many pieces are non-functional.  This is more a problem with Wine64 than DS.  Reporters should be careful when reporting that DS works in Wine.  DS has "worked" to one degree or another many times.  The last "mostly working" DS was 4.5 under Wine32 where almost everything worked.  Since 4.6 various parts of DS in WIne have been inoperable or eccentric.  Some revisions worked enough to create scenes and render, while other revisions failed on startup.  Under Wine64, there has never been a usable revision to my knowledge.

Also, DAZ_Rawb, I have both Linux native Valentina as well as working Wine'd Valentina's working from as far back as DS4.0

EDIT:  Somewhere in the DAZ Studio Software forum I had a step-by-step method for getting earlier versions of DS running under Linux and Wine.  I haven't looked to see if it survived both forum transitions or not yet.

Good thing is, I can't confirm this for the current approach. Everything so far that I've tried, which is of course not everything, is working. Content loading is extremely slow though, it uses only 1 core at full load for quite a while, but in the end it loads and works good.
    Also, there is a performance issue when you have like > 1.5m polys, but I think that's not too different when using windows.
    Last thing missing is the SQL connection. From the error messages I assume that the new cloud stuff is not using the connection I have prepared, probably it's ignoring the connection URI, but that's a rough guess. I'll try with 4.8 later, when I'm at home again.

As for 32-bit: Getting that one up and running hasn't been a problem at all. There is a good guide around here, I think I've posted it in this thread. If not, a quick search will dig it out. But: there is this memory limit which severely limits what you can do. Then only 3Dlight is working, and it is rendering _extremely_ slow for me, to a point where it's unusable.

So it's been all about the 64bit version, which was not starting up at all so far, but that has recently changed for me.
    It is very likely that it won't work with standard WINE, as wine_staging, which I'm using, is many many patches ahead. It will take a while until these patches hit WINE beta and even more until they hit the final version.

Post edited by mork on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

This is looking good; bye bye windows soon. If Windows 8 (not 8.1) support stops, it will be bye bye windows irrespective of a working Linux version. The only reason I've not switched completely already; I'm not a linux expert, but I like it.

• mjc1016 said:

The LAMH Player (and LAMH Full) are tested by me on Wine and VirtualBox before they get sent to DAZ.  Although it is not an "officially supported" setup. Wine use of LAMH should work.  VirtualBox and DS 4.8 are not getting along at all with the OpenGL viewport causing all kinds of problems on VB.  I will not have time to work with 4.9 under VB until at least friday, which will probably be the first opportunity to try DS under Wine again.

As I stated, the latest Wine version that I had time to test on was 1.7.49.  Much was unstable in both 32 and 64 bit on that revision.  I am pleased to hear that .53 is supporting more.  I may at least be able to do some relaxation scenes using Linux again.

It's possible, that, when 4.9 rolls out and everything with WINE is working, that I will make the big switch. Still wondering if installing everything from the zips I've already got, or, shock horror, using the DIM, will be the best way to go when it comes to getting my content sorted. I'm figuring a clean install will be needed whatever, so, whichever is the least painful method will be the way to go.

One thing I will definitely do before I go for Linux will be to get another external drive, copy the contents of the existing ones over to it, format them for Linux after I get that going and then take everything else from there.

Next year is probably more likely than this now

Things could be looking up...

CHEERS!

@Rogerbee: It works with DAZ 4.8 as well, just in case you got the impression that it is not.
    You don't really need a clean content install as well, I just pointed it to my content directory that I use in windows (I have a dedicated spare disk for that) and let it scan it all afterwards. Works good. But on the other hands, when you do the switch, that's a good time to make a cleanup, of course. :)

If you have all your contents with DAZ, you should go for DIM I think.
    If you have lots of old stuff, from different shops, that won't help you I guess, but I have another PHP script to install ZIP files in one go. You'd need PHP, but in Linux it's a one-liner to install it...
    Of course you have to clean up things in the end, because of the issue with upper-/lowercase mixups on folder names. When you need it, let me know.

edited November 2015

I knew it worked with 4.8, but, with 4.9 imminent it's probably best to wait for that than install 4.8 and then have to do everything again with 4.9 a short time later. I'll see how I'm fixed when I get another external drive. I could back all my existing content up I suppose. As I said, it's not something I'm going to rush out and do instantly and I can keep an eye on this thread for any developments in the meantime.

That PHP for zips sounds good and I would like a copy sometime....

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on

Oh, what are you Linux guys using for emails? I used Thunderbird in Windows for a while, but, it kept throwing up errors and slowing down. Currently I'm using eM Client but it won't play well with Linux. Geary looks like a good alternative, anyone used it!?

CHEERS!

Rogerbee said:

Oh, what are you Linux guys using for emails? I used Thunderbird in Windows for a while, but, it kept throwing up errors and slowing down. Currently I'm using eM Client but it won't play well with Linux. Geary looks like a good alternative, anyone used it!?

CHEERS!

Just do 'webmail'....but when I do need to use an actual email client it's Thunderbird and I find the Linux version is generally more stable.

• I use  gmail through Chromium (linux version of Chrome browser) for the most part

what he said :)

We can just use firefox or Chrome and just head over to gmail or yahoo , or whatever.

I like Kmail, it works with IMAP email services,and also supports several types of encryption.

Encrypted emails allow you to use public/free email services like gmail and yahoo without the privacy issues.

They can't read my email, because it's encrypted :)

mjc1016 said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Just do 'webmail'....but when I do need to use an actual email client it's Thunderbird and I find the Linux version is generally more stable.

• Chanteur-de-VentChanteur-de-Vent Posts: 566
    edited November 2015

Just wanted to confirm that DAZ4.8 64-bit indeed installs according to mork's instructions. With Iray and all. Don't have a NVidia card, so I only tested CPU-rendering. Loading figures is indeed much slower than Windows (on the same machine, I'm running dual-boot), but rendering seems actually faster.

What I did (following instructions above):

1. Create 64-bit wine prefix
    2. Install using winetricks the following: vcrun2005, vcrun2010, corefonts, d3dx9 (tahoma didn't install for me, and workaround pops up by itself)
    3. Install wine-staging
    4. Run DAZStudio with wine-staging

For those who want a tidy launcher, this is the command I used for launcher:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/yourDAZwineprefix" /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 /home/user/yourDAZwineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files/DAZ\ 3D/DAZStudio4/DAZStudio.exe

Off course, if your wineprefix is not in your home folder, it will be different.

I am on Ubuntu Studio 15.04 64-bit, with intel i3 and 8gb of RAM. Wine version is 1.7.50. 

mork said:

This is my commandline to start it up:

winearch=win64 WINEPREFIX="/folder_to_bottle/daz_wine" /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 ./daz_wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/DAZ\ 3D/DAZStudio4/DAZStudio.exe

I think I created a standard 64bit wine bottle and installed these using winetricks:

vcrun2005
    w_workaround_wine_bug-30713
    vcrun2010
    tahoma
    d3dx9
    corefonts

Then I installed wine-staging, which is kind of testing version of wine. It recently has been added to wine
    You can find it here at gihub: https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging

Screenshot_2015-11-03_19-55-42.png
    1280 x 1024 - 763K
    Post edited by Chanteur-de-Vent on

Just wanted to confirm that DAZ4.8 64-bit indeed installs according to mork's instructions. With Iray and all. Don't have a NVidia card, so I only tested CPU-rendering. Loading figures is indeed much slower than Windows (on the same machine, I'm running dual-boot), but rendering seems actually faster.

2. Install using winetricks the following: vcrun2005, vcrun2010, corefonts, d3dx9 (tahoma didn't install for me, and workaround pops up by itself)
    3. Install wine-staging

env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/yourDAZwineprefix" /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 /home/user/yourDAZwineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files/DAZ\ 3D/DAZStudio4/DAZStudio.exe

Off course, if your wineprefix is not in your home folder, it will be different.

I am on Ubuntu Studio 15.04 64-bit, with intel i3 and 8gb of RAM. Wine version is 1.7.50. 

mork said:

winearch=win64 WINEPREFIX="/folder_to_bottle/daz_wine" /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 ./daz_wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/DAZ\ 3D/DAZStudio4/DAZStudio.exe

I think I created a standard 64bit wine bottle and installed these using winetricks:

vcrun2005
    vcrun2010
    tahoma
    d3dx9
    corefonts

Then I installed wine-staging, which is kind of testing version of wine. It recently has been added to wine

Does the postgreSQL database work for you?

Is Smart Content working?

edited November 2015

Hm I think I can confirm that the issue with native postgreSQL and DAZ 4.9 is in this new cloud thingy. I have it working in 4.8 without further hassles. I'll note it in the beta thread.
    For whatever it's worth, here is a guide how I set up postgreSQL with DAZ 4.8 on linux:

1. Install postgreSQL + citext extension
      sudo apt-get install postgresql postgresql-contrib-9.4

2. Edit config file. Replace gedit with whatever editor you want/have.
      sudo gedit /etc/postgresql/9.4/main/postgresql.conf

• Change to listen to all. Not exactly sure yet if needed.
          listen_address = '*'
    • Note the port number, you need it later.
    • Save & Exit editor.
    • Restart database
          sudo service postgresql restart
          or
          /etc/init.d/postgresql restart

4. Add a password to the postgres user created by the installation:
      sudo passwd postgres

5. Switch to postgres user.
      su - postgres

6. Create a new database to hold daz content.
      createdb dazcontent

7. Add a user to postgreSQL for DAZ.
    Note: there is a command "createuser" to do this and it should ask you
         some basic questions on how to set up the user. It didn't work
         for me, so I add the user using SQL.

psql
        CREATE USER daz3d WITH PASSWORD 'mynewpassword';

Note:
    You can list existing users with \du
    You can quit with \q
    You can list databases with \l

8. Grant permissions to user.
    Ok. I'm a complete postgreSQL noob, I was unable to add the create role only, so I ended up adding Superuser permissions.
    That's okay for me right now, as only DAZ is using the database, but if you know how to do it right, please let me know. :)

ALTER USER daz3d WITH Superuser;

9. Activate citext extension on our new database
      \c dazcontent
      CREATE EXTENSION citext;

10. Quit database client
      \q

11. Test connection.
    Log back to your user.
      exit

Try to connect
      psql -U daz3d -W -d dazcontent -p <PORT_NOTED_IN_3b> -h localhost

Enter the password you have chosen in step 7.

Port is very likely 5432. Hopefully it works. :)
    If it does not, you need to resolve it before advancing further,

12. Set up DAZ to use our postgreSQL
    Switch to your wine bottle folder. Within there should be the drive_c folder.
    Edit the following file. If it does not exist, create it:
    gedit drive_c/users/<YOUR_USERNAME>/Application\ Data/DAZ\ 3D/cms/cmscfg.json

It should look like this:

{
        "Port" : 5432,
        "DatabaseClusterPath" : "C:/users/<YOUR_USERNAME>/Application Data/DAZ 3D/cms",
        "ConnectionURI" : "postgresql://daz3d:mynewpassword@localhost:5432/dazcontent"
    }

Replace the port number with whatever you have noted in 3b, but likely it's 5432.
    Change DatabaseClusterPath to the path above, insert your username of course. Not sure
    if this is needed at all and for what.
    Most important is the newly added ConnectionURI, following these well hidden patchnotes (#4.6.3.36)

Change these parts to whatever you have chosen along this guide:
    username: daz3d
    password: mynewpassword
    host    : localhost
    port    : 5432
    database: dazcontent

Save & Exit.

13. Start up DAZ3D and import meta data.
    Right click on the tab for "Content Library", there should be "Content DB Maintenance", click it. Then there is a checkbox "Re-Import Metadata...". check it and click "Accept". A new window will pop up, showing all your products that have such meta data. Import them all, that takes a while....

Right click again on your "Content Library" tab, select "Scan Known Directories for Files". This will scan all the folders and add those assets to your database, which don't have meta data. Poser files for example.

Both steps imply that you have already added your existing content library using the "Content Directory Manager", also found on the "Content Library" tab. :)

14. That's it. It should be working.
    If it's not working, check the DAZ log file. You should be close. :)

Hope it is of help to someone. :)

Edit: typos, changed password to be more obvious, fixed SQL query, added details on meta-data import.

Post edited by mork on
  • Thanks for the info

edited November 2015
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Thunderbird as well. It's all cool as long as you don't do a full text search on a couple of thousand of mails - outlook was handling this much better.
    You can copy over your mails and I think also your settings from windows. It's the same application after all. :)

Post edited by mork on
  • Chanteur-de-VentChanteur-de-Vent Posts: 566
    edited November 2015
    icecrmn said:

3. Install wine-staging

mork said:

vcrun2005
    vcrun2010
    tahoma
    d3dx9
    corefonts

Does the postgreSQL database work for you?

Is Smart Content working?

Not out of the box, no. Followed the above instructions and now it seems to connect to CMS, but no smart content yet.

My notes: I couldn't create a daz3d user as described in mork's manual. I looked up how to do it differently, this worked for me:

sudo -u postgres createuser --superuser daz3dsudo -u postgres psqlpostgres=# \password daz3d

Copy paste line by line in terminal. After the last line, specify your password for daz3d user. Say \q to quit psql command line. 

In the ConnectionURI line, mind the word "test", it's supposed to be your password for daz3d user. I know, mork did say that, but it took me like 10 minutes to realize why it had an error in log "password not accepted" and why I didn't specify my password anywhere in the code. Maybe because "test" seems like something normal in the code, with a meaning of its own.

When loading first DAZStudio after those changes, it hung like crazy. When scanning known databases for files, slow as hell. Much slower than Windows. Still, after scanning, no smart content. And the logfile does say it connected successfully to CMS:

Creating Asset Manager...Custom CMS connection uri specifiedConnected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.4.5 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Ubuntu 4.9.2-10ubuntu13) 4.9.2, 64-bitCreating Authentication Manager...

Installing something into the "native" DAZ Library using DIM didn't help. I checked with Bethany, she should have metadata, but to no avail. Not her "native" folder, nor the mapped one on windows drive (installed with DIM on Windows from my dual boot). I can add a file temporally to Smart Content (left click and say add to files), but then it will dissapear again when I will do some complicated clicking in Content Library tab. 

Post edited by Chanteur-de-Vent on

Hm, strange. For me, smart content is working. :|

Did you activate the extension citext on the database? Did you try to re-import metadata into the database?
    Ah and sorry about the password, will change it. :)

mjc1016 said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

As it'll be preloaded, I'll give Thunderbird another go, but, if I enounter the same issues as I did before then I'll get Geary instead.

CHEERS!

If you don't use Smart Content, will DS work without ever installing CMS or is it best to install it anyway? Also, once DS is installed, can you launch it with a desktop icon just as you can in Windows?

CHEERS!