Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

Maybe,

I'm still dying to know if it's this case sensitivity that is tripping DS and WINE up. We can cross other bridges when we get over that one!

CHEERS!

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

Maybe a symbolic link?

ln -s /path/to/kernel32.dll /path/to/symlinkKERNEL32.DLL

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited August 2015

[DUPLICATED POST]

Post edited by jag11 on

I don't know, I'm not using Linux yet, LOL! What I may do in a bit is to do what I suggested with the DS exe and see if it breaks it, if it doesn't then we could be onto something...

CHEERS!

• morkmork Posts: 278

Actually renaming the file or something like that sounds too easy to be true. But I'll give the 64-bit setup another try this weekend and let you know how far I got in the end.

Well, it's got to be worth a shot! Say "Hi!" to Mindy and Orson for me!

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited August 2015

A simple bodge to get round the case sensitive file system would be to put your content library on  an NTFS or FAT32 partition. Linux is only case sensitive over file names on it's own native filesystem.

Nope...it still obeys the case and won't merge textures/Textures...there was something about that being the intended behavior.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited August 2015

Ok, I edited the DS.exe and did a find/replace swapping KERNEL32.dll for kernel32.dll and the revised file works! So, the question now is, will this revised file allow DS to work in WINE!?

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on

When it actually finds it, it then throws another error in kernel32...so there's more to it, than making it 'findable'.

Well, that's it then, I'm all out of ideas! It's Dual Boot, VM, or forget it. SO frustrating!!

Ok, ok, one last roll of the dice, it was the same story with the installer, I've done the same thing with that. Does that do anything!?

CHEERS!

edited August 2015

Ok...it looks like it is a WINE problem...and one that's not quite a kernel32 but rather an ole32 or ntdll problem.  It seems to be failing with the passiing of info between those 3.   I've got an account for submitting bugs at WineHQ, so I'll see if I can get the ball rolling it's probably an unimplemented/stub function in one of those other dlls.  Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Basically, one of those 3 dlls isn't 'lying' well enough.  Studio still knows it isn't on Windows...and crashes.

Post edited by mjc1016 on

Cool, it had better be an easy fix! Have you run DS4.8 in a virtual machine? Just wondering what performance you'd get.

I looked at this big mag all about Linux today and the more I read, the more I liked.

CHEERS!

No, I haven't touched a VM in years...the last time I ran a VM was before Win7 came out.

Oh, well, looks like we have another waiting game to play. How soon do WINE versions roll around, how far off could 1.8 be!?

CHEERS!

What do you think of this as an alternative to Notepad++ in Linux: http://notepadqq.altervista.org/wp/

Or is just using Notepad++ in WINE better!?

Just thinking ahead....

CHEERS!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,836
    edited August 2015

What about the different scenario.

Just leave Windows 7 installation as is (you will get security updates up to 2020)

and install VirtualBox 5 with the desired Linux distribution in it.

That way you can still use Daz Studio with the maximum speed on your computer

and get a feeling about using Linux as well.

If you have enough free space on your harddrive, you can install

more than one virtual linux, just to check which distribution fit you best.

If you enable virtual extensions in the BIOS of your computer

and assign more than 2GB RAM and 2 or more processor cores in VirtualBox

you should get pretty decent speed of the virtual Linux.

To be able to have scalable VirtualBox window with Linux,

you need to install Guest Additions as a root in it.

If you maximize the window with Linux, you will pretty much get a feeling

of running Linux alone.

One can also enable clipboard and add sharing folder in the VirtualBox settings for the Linux

to easily exchange data between these two operating systems.

I am using that way a couple of years from now and I am pretty happy with such setup.

Post edited by Artini on

That's if you still want Windows, which I don't. I can hang fire till WINE gets sorted and when it does that's it. I'm not going to keep 2 platforms going just for the sake of it. If you're happy with it then fine. I just want a single OS and to do what I want to in it. Windows will do for now, but hopefully not for long.

CHEERS!

• morkmork Posts: 278

Didn't get far at the weekend with the 64bit installation. It loads the splash screen and after "Plugin PowerPose loaded" it crashes. I wasn't able to get any usable data from the crash, but I think after the plugins it's loading the GUI. I do not have DotNet installed, as there seems to be no version for 64bit, maybe that's the cause, maybe not. I find it very hard to find usable information in the WINE debug, because it's printing out so much data all the time and I don't know what's okay and what's actually a real error.

I tried with the most recent Wine and also found some kind of development version called Wine-Staging, which seems to have some features that are not part of the master tree yet, along with it some stuff to handle Nvidia stuff (don't think that this is needed, the nvidia stuff didn't cause noticable problems while booting up DAZ).

edited August 2015

Hmm, ok, hopefully, between you and MJC we can sort this out. After spending over 10 hours defragmenting my 2tb external drive, one plan I have, once I get Linux, is to get a 3tb external drive, copy all files from my other external drives to it and then format the other drives so they have the EXT file structure. Once that's done, I can copy the files from the 3tb back to them and not have to worry about defragging them again. I think this is doable. Or, maybe, I could format the 3tb as EXT and copy the other two to it. Whatever, anything is better than spending almost an entire day defragging!

Oh well, I suppose this hiatus will give me time to save for and get a 3tb drive....

CHEERS!

It is still an option, but, I just want to see if we can get DS running in WINE first. If we can't then I'll look at the other options. Command lines don't bother me too much, remembering them all is another matter.

It's wait and see time for me...

CHEERS!

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

one can hope some Linux geeks can find a way as DAZ studio is a free download and has a publicly available SDK so maybe some may tear themselves away from Blender long enough to create a patch.

maybe contact DAZ and push for a Linux version too.

I am not intending to use my laptop for DAZ stuff anyway but if there were a Linux version I may reconsider that too.

I can't tell you how many times I've posted on the Blender forums to a resound of replies that go:

"What's Daz Studio?"

If I hadn't been intrigued by Carrara on an magazine coverdisc, I may never have discovered Daz Studio. I looked up Daz online for Carrara content and there was DS, the rest is history. I do sometimes wonder where I'd be if I hadn't bought that mag.

CHEERS!

one can hope some Linux geeks can find a way as DAZ studio is a free download and has a publicly available SDK so maybe some may tear themselves away from Blender long enough to create a patch.

I am not intending to use my laptop for DAZ stuff anyway but if there were a Linux version I may reconsider that too.

I can't tell you how many times I've posted on the Blender forums to a resound of replies that go:

"What's Daz Studio?"

There's a couple of folks that know what it is...but not many.  And many Linux geeks just don't care...

• I've gone the whole dual boot route. Unfortunately games and some other programs just work better in windows, but I use Deepin for everything else.  8 years on linux and I haven't had a single security issue. 

I have installed virtual box for photoshop, but I find that any GPU related tasks don't work quite as well, and because you have to assign RAM, you tend to run out pretty quickly. 64 bit wine isn't that stable yet, so in the end dual booting was the only option for me. 

edited August 2015
    mjc1016 said:

"What's Daz Studio?"

There's a couple of folks that know what it is...but not many.  And many Linux geeks just don't care...

Too bad, we can't give up though...

CHEERS!

edited August 2015
    mjc1016 said:

"What's Daz Studio?"

bradrg said:

I've gone the whole dual boot route. Unfortunately games and some other programs just work better in windows, but I use Deepin for everything else.  8 years on linux and I haven't had a single security issue. 

I have installed virtual box for photoshop, but I find that any GPU related tasks don't work quite as well, and because you have to assign RAM, you tend to run out pretty quickly. 64 bit wine isn't that stable yet, so in the end dual booting was the only option for me. 

The version of Photoshop I have works well in WINE and everything else I use apart from DS is native to Linux. If I have do dual boot I'd be wasting resources just to keep DS going in Windows. It's still something I haven't ruled out.

CHEERS!

edited August 2015

Quick side note, there's a new version of Thunderbird out, this, of course comes bundled with Linux.

CHEERS!

• Rogerbee,

Nice post.......I would second that! I try to run as securly as I can (Ghostery detects 7 interested bystanders on this website for instance), Java is blocked until the boss (<-me) opens it up, and I sure don't like paying for my right to give up privacy either. So i'll be running a dual boot on my new machine ASAP......use Windows 10 pro without Internet access and Wifi dongle on the desk....DAZ runs fine without it....just use it for updates and upgrades and the rest of the surfing will be done in SolydX or SolydK Linus distries.

A Linux port from DAZ would be nice. I guess more and more people will start seeing the joys of Linux/Unix versus Windows.......oh, btw I was an MCSE once, so I'm not an a priori Windows hater.....just 8.1 and 10 do not rock my boat anymore.

Greets, Ed.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732

You could try CrossOver:

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/

DS 4.5 is currently untested, so who knows, it might work.