Daz 3d to Mudbox Export

Hi,

I'm trying to export a Genesis 2 Figure with textures to Mudbox.  Unfortunately the UVs come in all stacked on top of one another whether I export as an OBJ or an FBX.  The figure comes in fine but all the textures are misplaced. This UV problem does not exist with Genesis 3 figures which come in as a clean UV array, potentially allowing for some work arounds.  Most of my textures and other content are for Genesis 2 so I would like to be able to import Genesis 2 into Mudbox with the textures in order to sculpt and paint on top of what I import.  Anyone know how to fix the UV issue ?    I am using a Mac so please keep that in mind if offering any third party (hopefully free) solutions.

Thanks in advance

Raj

Comments

• This is the expected behaviour - Genesis 3 Female is the first DAZ figure to use UDIMs. Can you simply target different maps on the same UVs? If not you are probably going to need to use some kind of UV editing tool (in Mudbox or stand-alone) to select the surfaces for each UDIM tile and slide them into the right place - simply a whole number translation - but I don't know Mudbox to tell you how.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,455

The only way I know of is to save out an obj for each map you are working on.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited August 2015

You need to set up the maps as UDIM tiles.  You can do this in programs such as Modo.  G3F tiles along U positive for 8 tiles as shown in this image.  There are other programs which will allow you to set them up this way.  This is also what you would need to do for ZBrush, in case you use that as well.

udim.jpg
    1402 x 655 - 120K
    Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325

You need to set up the maps as UDIM tiles.  You can do this in programs such as Modo.  G3F tiles along U positive for 8 tiles as shown in this image.  There are other programs which will allow you to set them up this way.  This is also what you would need to do for ZBrush, in case you use that as well.

Wow.  I didn't know this.  Thank you!

• Thanks everyone for your responses.  Each of the suggestions work and I need to now just develop the workflow that is least time consuming.

Can someone please suggest how to group *surfaces* that share the same texture map together for export as OBJs?   For example, I can select 'head' from outline but not just the face for export.   In Genesis 2, the face has it's own uv tile and export of the head leads to overlapping uvs because the back of the head has it's uvs on the torso texture etc

Managing to export with specific surfaces of groups in OBJ or FBX will also allow the option of using the UDIM tiling approach more easily as right now it's a bit of a jumble..

Thanks again

Raj

• You can use the Geometry Edit tool to edit surface (and other) groups. With that tool active, from the Tools menu, you can  see a list of surfaces in the Tool Settings pane - just click the + next to each of the surfaces you need to merge, then make sure you have one of the surfaces selected in the list, right-click on it, and click Assign Selected Face(s) to Group from the menu.

• AndyGrimmAndyGrimm Posts: 910
    edited August 2015

i added a step by step tutorial using DAZ geometry editor and mudbox for gen2 uv's... to this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/61206/genesis-2-to-mudbox-uvs/p1

A Gen2 in Mudbox including bump, spec, opacity is not that difficult smiley

mud-render.jpg
    1366 x 717 - 187K
    Post edited by AndyGrimm on