Your sales make me not buy things

AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744

That's odd, isn't it? I think so. I should think a sale should make me want to buy things, not want to not buy things! Between the "to get a discount on that, you must also buy this" and "we know you own everything you wanted from the previous sales, but your platinum club code is only good for the back catalog you didn't ever want" I find myself not buying anything. That old item I did happen to want and never got to? Well, nothing really makes that a sale item. This heavily discounted item? Yeah, I don't need that one lol.

Look, you folks know I buy too much stuff here and have for years -I'm a fan. I'm just saying that the sales you run seem to stymie me and I never end up seeing what I want up for sale. I know it could be impossible given PA agreements etc, but is it possible, even in some limited fashion, to make sales work more like "x% off for every item you buy" rather than for just new releases or mix-andmatch items? Sometimes, I find myself not buying a handful of things because their sale spotlight stars aren't aligning. I know no one wants to only sell their items at sale prices, believe me, but if it means purchases aren't happening at all, I'd think something would always be preferable to nothing.

Not really a complaint, as I say, I'm a fan who isn't going away. But I do feel a different approach could yield more purchases, certainly from me. I find these sales sometimes more of a barrier to buying than a facilitator. (Albeit I do see you have been working at it, and all the PA flash sales have been very welcome)

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,568

I like simple sales. Sometimes the sales here are too complex.  Also New release sales, often seem to coincide with increased base price making the sale more of a gimmick than a true discount.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,904

When you buy 3 Daz Original items with stock numbers evenly divisible by 3 and one Stonemason product that was published on a Thursday, you get up to two alternating items at 58% off, not stacking with other discounts, so long as you buy two other items of at least $40 total after discounts, excluding gift cards and products from people with L in their name...

Yeah. Simple would be nice.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Well, what bothers me is the proliferation of days with nothing new at all. They throw so many at you at once to make a 'theme' that there's nothing left for the next night so nada.

It's almost every other day now.

THAT's why I dislike these sales so much.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,656

When you buy 3 Daz Original items with stock numbers evenly divisible by 3 and one Stonemason product that was published on a Thursday, you get up to two alternating items at 58% off, not stacking with other discounts, so long as you buy two other items of at least $40 total after discounts, excluding gift cards and products from people with L in their name...

...yes

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,615

While i agree that I dislike the punchable, stackable sales pitches and never participate in them, marketing 101 says that if your marketing isn;t working you try a different route and until we see a change, we can only assume we are the minority and users are buying into the hype.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604

I have found that really the best way to shop at the multi-billion dollar DAZ Corp is this:

1. Look for what you want.
    2. Put it in the cart.
    3. Look to see if there is something you might need at some future date.
    4. Put it in the cart.
    5. Look at the prices of the individual items.
    6. If there are any prices there that you do not like, move those items to the Wish List.
    7. Checkout.

Ignore any of the sales, deals, punchcards, Buy n Get p For q Unless x and all of the other BS.

It took me a long time to get to this mindset but I am convinced that it is the only way to shop at DAZ and retain a small portion of your sanity - and, possibly, some more of your hard-earned cash! :)

• OcelianeOceliane Posts: 65

I agree, too many sales are unnecessarily complex, and in the end aren't that interesting.

On the other hand, I deeply love the FastGrab and the surprise flash sales. They truely are an incentive for me to regularily come back and, with some luck, get the items I desire with at least 60% off.

Also, I love your "buyers or owners of X get a discount on these products".  It feels like "thank you for supporting us" rather than "It's new! buy it!".

• When you buy 3 Daz Original items with stock numbers evenly divisible by 3 and one Stonemason product that was published on a Thursday, you get up to two alternating items at 58% off, not stacking with other discounts, so long as you buy two other items of at least $40 total after discounts, excluding gift cards and products from people with L in their name...

acanthis said:

the multi-billion dollar DAZ Corp is this:

The Joy of Hype?

Ademnus said:

your platinum club code is only good for the back catalog you didn't ever want

You may already know this, but there are two PC Coupons each month; the one that is good for PA items is for back-catalogue, with a minimum cart value of $18, but the one that is for DAZ items only is good for new releases with no minimum cart value.

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896

While i agree that I dislike the punchable, stackable sales pitches and never participate in them, marketing 101 says that if your marketing isn;t working you try a different route and until we see a change, we can only assume we are the minority and users are buying into the hype.

I have to admit that I LOVE stacking on the older items I didn't buy by the same user and I love getting those items dirt cheap.  I think I've spent more money on items I will probably never or rarely use just because I got it for such a bargain that DAZ is able to sqeeze another few dollars out of my e-wallet.  

Granted.. I'm not a fan of the stacking until I've reached the full discount and then I'm hoping the summer of savings (extra spending) never ends... It might have another day ...

I noticed that somebody complained about not as many products coming out but I've been thinking that its because with the Iray, everything has to be rethought... the old way (3delight) won't do anymore... I think that everything is requiring a lot more work and effort and I wouldn't be surprised if while we see fewer products.. we also see rising prices when the products take more time to make.

Anyways... they've been "realing" me in sale by sale.. :)

Have a great day.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727

LOL... this is almost exactly what it feels like some of the sales are like. 

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688

When I look at my database I have to say I bought TONS of items I never used and I probably will NEVER use. I stopped buying just because on sale. If I find an item I need, I try applying a coupon, which is mostly "not valid". *bummer* But... if I need it, I have to buy it anyways... so... I am just lucky if an item is on sale exactly when I need it. Doesn't happen very often doh... :-)

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091

acanthis said:

the multi-billion dollar DAZ Corp is this:

The Joy of Hype?

I think we all wish DAZ was a multi-billion dollar corp.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

note to the powers, i am still in the market for 3de.  I do not buy iray if it doesn't come with 3de shaders and a promo.

maybe it's time to splinter DS? into a high end nvidia $$$ user base, and a DS version for a user base with .¢¢ hobby 'non nvidia' hardware.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,904

As an aside, I would give a lot for an 'exclude platinum club items' for my monthly 'ok, what DAZ original items can my coupon get me...'

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    picky1958 said:

When I look at my database I have to say I bought TONS of items I never used and I probably will NEVER use. I stopped buying just because on sale.

this 100%!

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850

Personally I didn't buy meanwhile most releases right after they hit the sore. I add them to my wishlist and someday later they will be avaialbale for 50% instead of 30% at the introducing sale. Apart from that I can then use also my PC copupon, because the item is not longer an new release.

And i mean, new releases should be only "new" for just 4 weeks instead of 6 or they should be availabe for 6 weeks for the introducing price.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    picky1958 said:

When I look at my database I have to say I bought TONS of items I never used and I probably will NEVER use. I stopped buying just because on sale. If I find an item I need, I try applying a coupon, which is mostly "not valid". *bummer* But... if I need it, I have to buy it anyways... so... I am just lucky if an item is on sale exactly when I need it. Doesn't happen very often doh... :-)

I have a bunch of products I no longer use, like ever. There are products I've bought and lost and forgot about that I find occasionally, though. So that's nice.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    picky1958 said:

I put items I am going to need on my wish list. When sales happen, I check them against the WL. I sometimes will see something new that I need and add it. But I don't just buy stuff because it is on sale. I have a webcomic I am doing, and I have the entire first 3 issues scripted, 1/3 of the way through issue 2, most of issue 4 written. I know what scenes will happen in the future and what I will need to pull them off... so... that is what I buy. Stuff that will work in those scenes.

Except for poses and expressions. Those I will just buy when they look interesting or useful, without a plan for them, because well, you can never have too many of those.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Well, I DO like the punch sales. Especially this one because the benefits are lasting longer. Add up in your head what you're paying for the new items you want that are on sale, throw them in the cart and surprise! That part has been great.yes

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,880
    MistyMist said:

note to the powers, i am still in the market for 3de.  I do not buy iray if it doesn't come with 3de shaders and a promo.

maybe it's time to splinter DS? into a high end nvidia $$$ user base, and a DS version for a user base with .¢¢ hobby 'non nvidia' hardware.

You realize the 3Delight and Iray are two completely different render engines. Iray cannot use 3Delight shaders anymore then 3Delight can use Iray shaders.

Whats the point of splitting it up?  That makes no sense to double the effort.  If DAZ Studio has features you dont want to use then simply dont use them.  Remove them from the tool bars if you want.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,501

i used t spend a lot here ... but mostly becasue of the way the sales are presented, not too much anymore. The only sale area I like and its simple are the Fast Grab items. 

• cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505

Well, I agree, some of the sales are poor, poorly worded, or just plain lame. If I need a flow chart, Sherpa, and 10 pre-reqs to navigate a sale, it isn't much of a sale, and I pass. I have found that about 70% of the "sales" aren't worth it, If it's a buy today and get 20% tomorrow sale, I pass. But when they have a good one, it was well worth passing on the lame ones. I rarely get excited for a sale that is less than 70% off. The BYO Flash sales were very nice for getting a few oddballs that just wouldn't go on sale. But when they do have a good sale, it is usually a really good one.

Sometimes it is better to wait, unless you really must have it now.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861
    edited July 2015

Oh my goodness, IMO Daz has been ULTRA generous with these sales and even if you don't like the punch sale, it's been going on for a VERY long time so that you can benefit from it whether you even try to do so or not! When they have Flash Sales at 50 or 60% off, with only the lowest tier of punches, you still get to stack another % on that and the cart does it for you. No hassle, shop like you normally would and enjoy the discounts. If you're buying new products, the punch sale works for you, if not, you have the Flash sales. And there have been a significant number. (Thank you vendors, very much!) 

And the Fast Grab stacked too.

As I said many times when the new store was rolled out, I HATE the scrolling banner, but at least it makes it easy to go up and see the different sales. The stores are featured in different sections so it's right there for you. I don't see how it can get much easier to breeze through the sales, and they are kept separate.

What I hate is when you have products that have appeared in more than one promo at the same time, and I haven't seen that happening with the Summer sale. It's very straightforward. So I like the punches, the stacking, and the separation of sales into individual pages which IMO are easy to surf. 

Daz was incredibly awesome to let that 7% gift card discount stack with the Summer savings discount- you could get up to 17% off gift cards. Wow. 

So I for one like what they did in this case. Kudos!

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,568
    edited July 2015

MistyMist said:

I do sort of agree, that the user base does seem to be diverging  some. I haven't the least interest in IRAY, and the Iray only promo is alienating.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • AshcloudAshcloud Posts: 44

MistyMist said:

I do sort of agree, that the user base does seem to be diverging  some. I haven't the least interest in IRAY, and the Iray only promo is alienating.

Ditto.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,010
    edited July 2015

I agree with the OP, once there are conditions, math to do or any odd gimmicks, I tune out.

By the time I was sixteen I had learned that anytime any transaction involves special circumstances, requirements or a scientific calculator... At the end of the day, it was usually me who got the short end of the stick.

I like a flat out sale... 30%, 40%, whatever %...  

In the real world, when I see a sale that says "UP TO 70% OFF!!!! ***"...  I usually know that *** means on that eight year old, open bag of CheesyPoofs in the back room with a family of mice living in it... Yeah, sometimes it's for a pair of mismatch sweat socks that weren't worn too many times, but in general it's for stuff I'd never buy... The rest of the stuff that's on sale, while I might be interested in it, it's usual not an impressive discount.

So I pass on those items till they are on actual sale.

Granted if Anyone were looking to adopt a family of orange mice, 70% is not bad.

Every couple of days I get in the mail, some form of letter or big envelope... Sometimes it's made to look like it's from The Department of Motorvehicles, sometimes it looks like a check (once it looked like State Tax Refund check, at the time those get sent out), sometimes it looks like a handwritten letter from a neighbor, and often it looks like a DHL overnight document package.... But they all come from the same place... A local car dealership which is under the impression that if they trick me into opening up an envelope from them, I'll be so impressed by their ability to trick me, that I'll actually go and spend tens of thousands of dollars buying a vehicle from them. All that ever does is make me wary of a establisment's motives and honesty.

The motives and honesty bit is not in question here (at least to me), but the carnival wheelie dealy sales really do seem rather unnecessary and cheesy most of the time... 

I personally think that people like discounts that don't need to be understood, interpreted, stacked, stored, jiggled, juggled or require much more than looking at a price and deciding if it is worth paying that amount.

But then that is just my opinion.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    McGyver said:

I agree with the OP, once there are conditions, math to do or any odd gimmicks, I tune out.

By the time I was sixteen I had learned that anytime any transaction involves special circumstances, requirements or a scientific calculator... At the end of the day, it was usually me who got the short end of the stick.

I like a flat out sale... 30%, 40%, whatever %...  

In the real world, when I see a sale that says "UP TO 70% OFF!!!! ***"...  I usually know that *** means on that eight year old, open bag of CheesyPoofs in the back room with a family of mice living in it... Yeah, sometimes it's for a pair of mismatch sweat socks that weren't worn too many times, but in general it's for stuff I'd never buy... The rest of the stuff that's on sale, while I might be interested in it, it's usual not an impressive discount.

So I pass on those items till they are on actual sale.

Granted if Anyone were looking to adopt a family of orange mice, 70% is not bad.

Every couple of days I get in the mail, some form of letter or big envelope... Sometimes it's made to look like it's from The Department of Motorvehicles, sometimes it looks like a check (once it looked like State Tax Refund check, at the time those get sent out), sometimes it looks like a handwritten letter from a neighbor, and often it looks like a DHL overnight document package.... But they all come from the same place... A local car dealership which is under the impression that if they trick me into opening up an envelope from them, I'll be so impressed by their ability to trick me, that I'll actually go and spend tens of thousands of dollars buying a vehicle from them. All that ever does is make me wary of a establisment's motives and honesty.

The motives and honesty bit is not in question here (at least to me), but the carnival wheelie dealy sales really do seem rather unnecessary and cheesy most of the time... 

I personally think that people like discounts that don't need to be understood, interpreted, stacked, stored, jiggled, juggled or require much more than looking at a price and deciding if it is worth paying that amount.

But then that is just my opinion.

when the shipping stickers are printed directly on the cardboard of the "urgent: overnight" envelope it's usually someone who wants me to vote for them because they own a small arsenal and they're running for some political office down here that is currently been tainted by witches or vegetarians or someone who tried to de-raccoon the water purification system with their fancy book learnin' because families need to get back to "The Three C's"  (Cows, Cheese and Cripture). Either way it's not how I buy anything (but gently used sweat socks) and I'm more inclined to buy content (or orange mice) when it's a straight forward sale that does not require me asking a diabetic owl.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Mattymanx said:
    MistyMist said:

You realize the 3Delight and Iray are two completely different render engines. Iray cannot use 3Delight shaders anymore then 3Delight can use Iray shaders.

Whats the point of splitting it up?  That makes no sense to double the effort.  If DAZ Studio has features you dont want to use then simply dont use them.  Remove them from the tool bars if you want.

different hardware requirements to work with 3de. imo =  2 apps.  

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

There are no different hardware requirements to run 3Delight.  When Studio was first launched all content was Poser and had material settings for Poser that where often just horrible in Studio,  We had to learn to make the adjustments ourselves and you young whippersnappers need to do the same.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,996
    MistyMist said:
    Mattymanx said:
    MistyMist said:

different hardware requirements to work with 3de. imo =  2 apps.

Great... so when I want to render in both DS and Iray, I need to install TWO programs, when now, all I have to do is change the render engine in the render settings?