Question about UHT Hair Shaders for Iray

Comments

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    Tobor said:

Got it (drained what was left in my PayPal!), installed it, used it, loved it.

I was able to dig out my almost forgotten runtime of V4 hair and repurpose a number of models that I've always liked, but didn't look good in a modern render. 

Thanks, Slosh.

Hey, happy to see that you are liking the results so far.  I know you were a bit concerned about the "chunky" or coarse look to the hair, but I hope you see that it's not real bad on most hairs.  Some hairs are uv'ed in such a way that the rectangle uv island is laid out more narrow than it should be, which makes the texture it is representing actually stretch out wider on the model... I hope I explained that right.  I know what I mean, but don't know how to express it in this small paragraph.  Also, for some hairs it's the opposite.  Some artists will try to make all of their uvs the same width and length, even though the hair panels are different sizes, so the textures end up stretched or compressed.  Not saying that UHT is superfine, but maybe not as bad as it looks in some cases?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited July 2015

OK, before I go to experiment some more with displacement, I tried another experiment. I used the existing textures from Yunko hair to get the multi hues. I used UHT to provide the Iray settings. I did this by first applying the lavender UHT shader to the hair, then replacing the lavender images and bump map images with the corresponding texture files from Yunko hair. This demonstrates another way to use the product.

So, I'd better include this disclaimer, so I don't mislead anyone.

THIS HAIR COLOR IS MY EXPERIMENT AND IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE UHT PRODUCT

Yunko Experiment

Yunko hair UHT settings PS Iray.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on

I'm glad someone finally demonstrated this... I didn't want to mention it in my product description because, well, the idea is for me to sell the UHT shaders as a full product.  But yes, this is a great way to use original textures.  I wanted to make UHT as just a shader without replacing textures, but that would require some scripting knowledge which I do not have yet, lol.  Great job, barbult, on all of your renders.  I should have recruited you, lol

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    Slosh said:
    RAMWolff said:

I think the thing that's holding me back, as a hairdresser, I'm not seeing allot of variegation of the hair colors.  You know that hair color has sometimes upwards of 10 to 20 shades in a hair strands clump?  I like how some of the darker colors look with the nice gloss but the lighter shades look a bit .... flat to me.... Sorry, from  a professional stand point I'm only pointing out what I see comparitively to what I see on a daily basis in life and work. 

I completely understand what you are saying RamWolf... I did use 10 layers to create the hair, each a different hue and brightness, but perhaps I didn't vary them enough?  I was trying to avoid strong streaks of different color that would stand out too much when repeated across several "panels" of the hair products.  I think you can see the most obvious example of the variations in the Peacock presets.  I am thinking of releasing some additional textures with greater variety in the hair and more fantasy shades.   Might do it as a Christmas freebie if I can't get it done before then.

And no need to apologize for sharing your opinion...  though I would like to point out that nearly every hairstyle you purchase is just a single color that has been hue shifted to provide more choices.  I did not do that with this product, though I think it might look like it based on your observation and somebody earlier as well (Tobor, I think).  Either way, I still hope you are happy with the product.

Understood about that.  That's one reason I pass up about 90% of the hair shader/texture expansions done for various hair props released.  My own "homemade hair strands" I gave away a long time ago now are still my favorites when I want to change up a hair prop I bought.  When you go out next time, go to a coffee shop and just observe hair, in the sun, inside the coffee shop, you will see there are allot of colors that make up that pretty blond's hair or that gingers hair color or that brunettes hair color (natural I mean, there are probably about 50% of the population these days' that color), Look more at the really young people, they are the ones to look at since most don't color that young except for the occasional streaks job, usually done at home.  These days, once they hit about 13 then they either go for at home or get permission to get it done professionally.  Trust me I know... it's sad but it's what it is.  

Slosh mentioned eyelashes in a post above.I used UHT on the eyelashes in both the ponytail and Dream Hair renders. I used black in the ponytail image and copper, I think, in the strawberry blonde Dream Hair inage.
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I just picked this up today (and Slosh, didn't even have to give you my firstborn this time...)

Looking forward to playing with them :)

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited July 2015
    Slosh said:

I'm nearly positive that Real Hairy is indeed fibermesh and doesn't have uvs to really benefit from the UHT textures.  Not to mention that the individual hairs of Real Hairy are so tiny.  Did you try using the Backscatter OFF and Top Coat OFF presets?  That might help, but I haven't tried UHT on body hair or eyelashes. 

Hi Slosh,

Many thanks for your reply. I have been spending more time trying to figure out if I can make your shaders work with the REAL hairy product and have come across a really bizzare thing. As I mentioned previously, the darker colours worked but not the browns, or lighter colours.

Before I tried your suggestions regarding backscatter adjustment etc, I applied the UHT Cinnamon TN shader and the REAL hairy product colour changed, I then looked in the AUX Viewport and the hairs had all turned cinnamon coloured. I then tried a render and they came out cinnamon coloured. Amazingly it now worked....but why ?....because yesterday it had not. I then noticed that I was using the AUX Viewport and Render window in the Perspective View. Copper and Chestnut shaders now all worked too.

I then created a new camera, and set it up exactly with the same view as I had in the perspective view, and noticed the hair did not show the shader colour in the AUX Viewport or subsequent render. I have played around with the camera Headlamp and other camera settings, but the REAL Hairy product doesn't display the colour.

What is going on....Why is it working in perspective view and not when viewed through a camera ?  This wierd phenomenon now has me baffled. I do wish to clarify for people reading this post that all my other hair products WORK PERFECTLY with your shaders using perspective and camera view mode, this post is only refering to my use of your shaders with the REAL Hairy product.  http://www.daz3d.com/real-hairy

I will continue trying to sort this out, because it seems that your shaders DO work for me with the REAL Hairy product, but only when perspective view is used for the render. Something seems wrong, and while I continue to try and find out why this is happening, someone else reading this post may have the answer.

Cheers.

smiley

Edited to note:  that since posting this earlier, I have tried changing the HDRI from the "Ruins" DAZ Studio default one, to a different one and the hair colour is now showing in camera mode.

So early indications show it is a lighting issue, which strangely doesn't seem to affect the hair colour when using spotlights, but has improved the colour showing now the HDRI has been changed. There seems some unusual things going on, maybe due to this being a possible fibremesh product. I still haven't worked out what is different between the lighting used in a perspective mode and one used in camera mode, and why the hair colour shows differently depending what mode is used, and what HDRI.

My poor head is now spinning with all the variations I have tried, so will now wait until I have a definitive answer to this, because it is becoming very confusing.  indecision

Post edited by Musicplayer on
    edited July 2015

Can you stand one more? I can't stop playing.
     This one used UHT Black on Cats Meow hair.

Retro Bot

Retro Bot UHT Black Iray.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 991K

Oh, wow barbult!  I kept meaning to try UHT on Cat's Meow, but was trying to stay focused on promos.  It looks really great on that hair, and I love how the tiny lights are reflected.  Nice job.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited July 2015

Another experiment with UHT hair shaders - Marja hair

UHT Copper TN preset.

MarjaHair03pic01.jpg
    900 x 1024 - 188K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688

Well... I love it! smiley

DAZ.png
    800 x 800 - 663K
    edited July 2015

And for those, who have not bought UHT hair shaders, yet.

Just a notice - check how the hair renders with original textures first.

Below is a Marja hair render with Daz Studio Iray Uber Base shader applied.

It does not look so bad to me...

MarjaHair02pic01.jpg
    900 x 1024 - 195K
    Post edited by Artini on

@Slosh, yes, I liked the reflection of the headband lights, too.

@Artini, original textures with just the Iray Uber shader don't look bad at all here! 3Dream/Mairy make some good hair products. I've been happy with just the Uber shader on some hair, but not at all on others. It may have to do with the quality of the original textures of each hair. One nice thing I like about the UHT shader is the variety of colors. Maybe I won't need to buy color packs to go with each hair. unless they provide some fancy stuff, like the multicolored Yunko hair. One thing I am having trouble with is the UHT displacement. I'm still trying to see what my problem is. Those are both very nice images (Marja Hair), including the posing and wardrobe.

edited July 2015

Thanks, barbult. And you made a good point about UHT shaders.

I also like diversity of included colors with it.

This comes handy with the hairs, that have only a few materials included.

Post edited by Artini on
  • tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994

Wow barbult, that Cat's Meow render is really nice! And the hair seems to come out great with Slosh's product. Nice work both of you. laugh

Thanks! Choice is good! No product is perfect for every situation, but I've gotten my money's worth of fun with this one many times over already. That's what's important to me - fun level outweighs frustration level.
    picky1958 said:

I almost missed this little attachment buried in the giant images. That would have been a huge loss. This is fantastic! It is very lifelike. We haven't seen many male images in this thread. Is he your own creation?
    edited July 2015
    barbult said:
    picky1958 said:

I almost missed this little attachment buried in the giant images. That would have been a huge loss. This is fantastic! It is very lifelike. We haven't seen many male images in this thread. Is he your own creation?

Actually, no. It's nothing special, just Michael 6 with Iray base shader, beard from unshaven2 and Rievel Hair with UHT shaders. Default Iray HDR for lighting and background. That's all. :-)

Post edited by Ralf1958 on
    picky1958 said:
    barbult said:
    picky1958 said:

Actually, no. It's nothing special, just Michael 6 with Iray base shader, beard from unshaven2 and Rievel Hair with UHT shaders. Default Iray HDR for lightning and background. That's all. :-)

Wow, I'll have to give M6 another try. I think the reason I overlooked your attachment the first time through was that it matches your avatar. wink I saw your text, but probably thought the attachment was a signature.

barbult said:
    picky1958 said:
    barbult said:
    picky1958 said:

Actually, no. It's nothing special, just Michael 6 with Iray base shader, beard from unshaven2 and Rievel Hair with UHT shaders. Default Iray HDR for lightning and background. That's all. :-)

Wow, I'll have to give M6 another try. I think the reason I overlooked your attachment the first time through was that it matches your avatar. wink I saw your text, but probably thought the attachment was a signature.

Yeah, I liked that picture so much that I instantly used it as avatar laugh Michael 6 is a pretty nice character. Never had problems with him like I had with others applying the Iray shader, by example. Some characters turn out totally glossy. I know how to fix that but it's always a bummer smiley

@Slosh, here is an illustration of the issue I am having with UHT displacement. This is not a fault of the product per se, but the fact that displacement in Iray works differently than displacement in 3Delight. 3Delight will do microdisplacement to add very fine detail to a low res mesh. Iray requires a very high res mesh to get fine detail with displacement. As you mentioned, that is why the Displacement SubD can be set in the surface settings. The default SubD setting with UHT is 1. All that does for the hairs I have tried is make it lumpy. It does not come close to creating the fine strand detail in the UHT displacement map. I tried upping the surface displacement SubD incrementally from 1 to 5. As the SubD increases, the detail gets better, but even at SubD 5, it does not reach the detail of the displacement map. And each time displacement SubD is increased, the computer uses much more memory and rendering is much much slower. The examples I am attaching here were done with completely untextured models, except for the displacement map on the non-scalp hair surfaces (Basic hair). Even with untextured models, the memory requirement with hair SubD 5 forced my render into the CPU instead of GPU. With a fully textured scene, I could never even attempt a SubD setting of 5.

So, I am really hoping that you can find a way to make this better. I think a normal map instead of a displacement map would be the answer. Unfortunately, I know nothing about making normal maps, but perhaps you do.

UHT no Displacement.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 517K
    UHT Displacement SubD 1.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 577K
    UHT Displacement SubD 2.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 642K
    UHT Displacement subD 3.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 692K
    UHT Displacement subD 4.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 738K
    UHT Displacement subD 5.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 869K

I'm not at my working computer right now, but I left myself a post it note to remind me... I will make a normal map and give that a try... I will also send it to you and see what you think about it.  If it's good, I will do an update to the product.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited July 2015

deleted

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited July 2015

Here is the UHT hair with a texture applied, to compare the UHT hair as loaded (no displacement) and with the Add Displacement preset applied. I rendered with surface displacement SubD1 and 2. I dared not go above that, because it was sloooooow at 2.

Oh yuck. The stupid forum lost the attachments. Oh well. You already got the idea from the other images.
    Slosh said:

I'm not at my working computer right now, but I left myself a post it note to remind me... I will make a normal map and give that a try... I will also send it to you and see what you think about it.  If it's good, I will do an update to the product.

Great! I look forward to trying it.

Taozen said:

Flirty Hair, default color, UHT Chestnut Brown TN. Looks great, IMO.

Edit: updated jpg to a better quality... 

uht_test_01.jpg
    950 x 950 - 263K
    edited July 2015

Oops, quoted instead of editing. (mods can delete this one if possible).

Argh, did it again. Think I need some sleep. 

Post edited by Taoz on
    Taozen said:

Oops, quoted instead of editing. (mods can delete this one if possible).

Argh, did it again. Think I need some sleep. 

LOL, I think we are all having trouble adapting.  I still haven't tried adding an image... That's going to be a mess.  Thanks for sharing your render.  I think I never bothered to use Flirty Hair in the past because I didn't like the way it looked (in 3delight), but now I will have to give it another go. 

edited July 2015
    Slosh said:

LOL, I think we are all having trouble adapting.  I still haven't tried adding an image... That's going to be a mess.  Thanks for sharing your render.  I think I never bothered to use Flirty Hair in the past because I didn't like the way it looked (in 3delight), but now I will have to give it another go. 

Adding images is simple - just click the "Attach a file" link under the editor, browse to the file, wait til it has uploaded, and then post. (will ok, that's as an attachment, don't know about inline images...).

Post edited by Taoz on
  • StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited July 2015

Hi,

I've been playing with the UHT Hair Shaders and decided to see if I could use them on a horse tail. I'm happy with the conversion. I've attached a test render. Thank you @Slosh for these great shaders! I'm going to attemp to attach the image (it truly is a test render). Edit: Okay, I couldn't get it to post the image. Sigh.

Another Edit: I think it wouldn't show because my gallery was private, so I changed settings and tried again. It showed up this time :)

Trish

Test Render with Horse Tail Using UHT Hair Shader

Post edited by Stormlyght on

Hi,

I've been playing with the UHT Hair Shaders and decided to see if I could use them on a horse tail. I'm happy with the conversion. I've attached a test render. Thank you @Slosh for these great shaders! I'm going to attemp to attach the image (it truly is a test render). Edit: Okay, I couldn't get it to post the image. Sigh.

Trish

Make sure that the image is fully uploaded (the icon shows the image) before you post.