Using the New Forums (In Progress) - Please Post Questions and Issues Here !

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

how do you bookmark link to a specific reply in a thread these days?

thanks

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Click on the time stamp and save the URL

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the timestamp?!  works, thanks!

how do i search the forum posts for a phrase?  i tried using quotes, double quotes, but it still breaks down into words

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited October 2015

There's no rhyme or reason for failed uploads. It's a forum problem. I don't have unique characters, or _ , or anything that would cause problems. It's the software and they need to get it fixed, it's been months and many people have reported having the problem. I shouldn't have to upload an image three to five times before it takes.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is putting the image in the post- the best size. Sure, the width can be 800, but if you have a HEIGHT of more than 600, many people will have to scroll to see the entire image. I recommend height of 600, width of 600/700 but up to 800. That way people can see your entire render.

As far as banners, if you read this thread, many people complained about the clutter and the size. 1024 goes quite a ways across. I don't like the 1024 though, unless it's neutral/natural colors. Very few people (I assume, based on the posts) like glaring neon yellows, blues, pink backgrounds in their face in between posts. RAMWolff has a nice example of a banner. McGyver has images to break it up.

Mine has bright letters, so I kept it very small. (I think something like 70 high by 545 long) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    Novica said:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is putting the image in the post- the best size. Sure, the width can be 800, but if you have a HEIGHT of more than 600, many people will have to scroll to see the entire image. I recommend height of 600, width of 600/700 but up to 800. That way people can see your entire render.

You set the image size in the parameter box that pops up when adding an image into the post. Make the Width 800 for a landscape leaving the height blank and make the height 600 for a portrait leaving the width blank. It doesn't matter how big the original is as these sizes will be used by the forum software to resize it. Clicking on the image in the post will then load the full size image if it is bigger.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Why does DAZ have us signed out of the forums so much?  Weird how paranoid they are about these temp cookies. I was really hoping that things would be better with this forum software but it's not the software, it's what' the programmers are deciding behind the scenes and I'm sorry but it's just plain paranoia.  I never have issues over at RDNA or Renderosity with this.  I sign in once and I'm signed in forever..  Please make our experience here a little less annoying DAZ, lighten up on the paranoia tactics.  it's old and yea, annoying as hell! angry

• Sky HndxSky Hndx Posts: 142
    MN-150374 said:

Setting the Target to New Window (_blank) will open a new tab. Click the image below.

It works. :)

A person that subscribed to one of my online galleries had a personal profile page loaded down with nothing, absolutely nothing, but cat and kitten GIFs.  So I know this is somewhat true.   ....and a little unsettling 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,213
    edited October 2015
    RAMWolff said:

Why does DAZ have us signed out of the forums so much?  Weird how paranoid they are about these temp cookies. I was really hoping that things would be better with this forum software but it's not the software, it's what' the programmers are deciding behind the scenes and I'm sorry but it's just plain paranoia.  I never have issues over at RDNA or Renderosity with this.  I sign in once and I'm signed in forever..  Please make our experience here a little less annoying DAZ, lighten up on the paranoia tactics.  it's old and yea, annoying as hell! angry

Yes, I feel your pain daily. Yesterday I got stuck in one of those sign out loops again. I hadn't seen the looping for quite a while, but I guess it hadn't really been fixed.

Post edited by barbult on
  • scathascatha Posts: 756

Have to agree, the constant signing out is VERY annoying

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If the login-looping is really that much of a problem, use only one device to go to the forums...the ONLY time I have to sign back in, is when I do a cold boot (or let my daughters on)...all I ever use to visit here is my desktop.  Each time you flip from one device to another you are messing with the session (temp) cookies...so yeah, that's going login-loop.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

I only ever do use one device to look at the forums, this PC, and it still happens, so that's not the answer.

CHEERS!

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464

In November 2009 TinyLimp released the full retail version of Windows 7.  On release day, I bought and installed Windows 7 Pro.  For well over a year I had run W7 Beta, and then for 5 months W7 RC.  I have been using the same hardware the entire time, with occasional upgrades and repairs, since mid 2007.  During that time I discovered that GENERALLY speaking, while Renderosity and RDNA were a bit different than DAZ, they were STABLE.  DAZ3D reaches stability, then changes it.  They are laughing at us.  I am seeing there are some people here that think some very nasty things of us, the user.  You know, the people that Pay The Bills.  They have trashed the old forums, stores, galleries, everything.   Seems they do not actually want anything resembling longevity in any of these.  Well, too bad.

edited October 2015

I found it is NOT POSSIBLE to create a NEW message and then POST it.  Therefore, there is actually NO "PM".   I keep getting a cryptic message and nothing happens.  There is no exit even.  Have to close the page completely.   No wonder there are now 57 pages in just 3 months.  Hey I bet we can't create new threads too!

Post edited by McGrandpa on
    edited October 2015

Utter pure crap.   How can I change my sig pic without the site showing ten pages of gibberish?  It appears I am relagated to the place of UNDesirable.  I cannot actually change any thing YOU can see.  I can't even change my user name.  Well, l guess that is just what DAZ wants.

Post edited by McGrandpa on
    edited October 2015

PM, go to Inbox and post a new message.  Start typing the screen name of the person you want to send it to and you will get a drop down list to choose from,, or if you want to send it from a page where you know the person is posting, simply click on their name under the avatar and then you will see "Message" at top right.

Signature Picture. Go to your profile and then to edit signature settings.  You will need to have a landing page for the thumbnail, which McGyver has helpfully supplied HERE 

So attach your signature image in a post in that thread, and post it, with some text to explain.  Once you have made the post, click on the attachment to open it and right click and then click "Copy Image Location"

Then go to the Edit signature settings and use the WYSIWYG tools to add the signature image.  max height for a sig image is 100 pixels.  adding an image is the little pic icon, next to the flag icon on the top line of the tools.

Oh and BTW, did you want just an image, or do you want it to hyperlink to something?

Post edited by Chohole on

I have no wish to hyper-link to anything.  So just the image.  The solution looks convoluted and twisted.  Just like DAZ eh.   Rocket the Racoon.  You know, the little guy in Guardians of the Galaxy who is always working on some THING destructive with what used to be useful.  And he sits and snickers at everyones discomfort with anything he does.  Then he gets so angry when the fingers point at HIM that he 'beats up grass'.   You know him.  So you've met DAZ eh?

I see no way to bookmark ANYTHING here.

edited October 2015

bookmark is the star next to the gear icon on the top post of the thread page, where it gives the thread title. Click it and it turns orange

Post edited by Chohole on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    mjc1016 said:

If the login-looping is really that much of a problem, use only one device to go to the forums...the ONLY time I have to sign back in, is when I do a cold boot (or let my daughters on)...all I ever use to visit here is my desktop.  Each time you flip from one device to another you are messing with the session (temp) cookies...so yeah, that's going login-loop.

As stated many many times, the DAZ forums and store are the only ones I have issues with.  With the Hivewire forums I don't have this issue but the store I havje to log on to my account but they have it set up smart to take you back to the last page you were on rather than to your account.  Renderosity, the logon for that place is just one logon, like here, like Hivewire but I have NEVER had to resign in unless I reload the entire OS or perhaps change to a new browser.  Here, I am constantly logging back in for seemingly no reason and then some understandable reasons but still, the temp cookies should be built smarter to recognize I have two computers that are logging in to this website.  My laptop at work and my graphics computer at home and on a few occasions my tablet but not really all that often.  Both of my main devices have no issues with the temp cookies for any other site like 'Rosity, Hive, Amazon... the list is long..  Makes no sense to me why the coders have these cookies set up as they do.  ANNOYING as HELL! 

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    mjc1016 said:

It actually can happen using just a single device; happens quite often to me.  (Unless of course somebody somewhere else in the world is also using my account while I'm away...)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Actually...yes, most of those other sites DO log you out when you switch...they just do it faster and without a notice.  I know that Amazon does it all the time. 

Most sites, by design DO NOT allow more than 1 login at a time from the same account.  Therefore when you switch machines/devices one will be logged out and the new one will be logged in.  Most of them do this silently.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    McGrandpa said:

....  I can't even change my user name.  Well, l guess that is just what DAZ wants.

Ehm ... your account: click on the little person in the upper right corner, "My account", click on the "edit" in the upper right corner of "Account Information" (top left box), edit your user name ...

https://www.daz3d.com/customer/account/edit/

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Barbult and I tested Firefox a few minutes ago- she was having problems with some of the images suddenly not opening in a new window- ones that had done so previously. She is correct, I tested in Firefox too.  Then I also tested in Chrome, and a few images had lost their "new window" ability.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,213
    Novica said:

Barbult and I tested Firefox a few minutes ago- she was having problems with some of the images suddenly not opening in a new window- ones that had done so previously. She is correct, I tested in Firefox too.  Then I also tested in Chrome, and a few images had lost their "new window" ability.

Even though they still seem to be coded correctly. If I edit the post and check image properties, it still shows the link as being targeted to a new window. It just doesn't work anymore for some images that it used to work for.

• For the first time ever I expierenced the sign out loop. But I figured out how to get past it, at least if you're using a computer. 

1. Click on the DAZ 3D icon to get back to the home page
    2. Re-login and let the "My Account" page load
    3. Return to forum

Since this worked for me, I'm sharing in the hopes that it will work for others who have had this problem.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,115

Is there a way I can block the huge images in a post? I would much rather just click the attachment to view the full size image than have them take over my entire screen while I try to scroll through a thread.

So sometimes the various sale pages don't show any products actually on sale.  For a while I thought it was just an error and somebody forgot to mark them with the sale percentage off.  However today I got suspicious and tried logging out and back in again, and either it was just fixed in that time period, or maybe sale percentages aren't showing up sometimes and that resets them?  Not sure.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602
    edited October 2015

...OK, we really need a better forum search engine than the one currently in use. 

There is no advanced way to narrow down a search either through filters or by date range (like we used to be able to do) as it pulls up any and every occurrence of a key word (or from a set of keywords) in every post from the newest to the oldest whether in the title or the text body. I just spent well over an hour looking for a certain image from a couple years ago with no success as one has to page through page after page after page....(ad nausea) of results, a total waste of time.

This is just one more reason the new forum software seems more of a "down-" rather than "upgrade" for in this respect, it does nothing to enhance the user experience, and if anything, makes it worse.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • KitanjiKitanji Posts: 33

With respect to 

Conversations/Messaging Another Member (Inbox)

Use the Inbox link on the Main Profile Cog (Shown Above in Previous Section)

I attempted to reply to a member today about a question they had but I'm unable to start a conversation.  There aren't any options for me to start a message to another member.  Also, of note, he message I received came to my email address.  

Thanks

Kitanji said:

With respect to 

Conversations/Messaging Another Member (Inbox)

Use the Inbox link on the Main Profile Cog (Shown Above in Previous Section)

I attempted to reply to a member today about a question they had but I'm unable to start a conversation.  There aren't any options for me to start a message to another member.  Also, of note, he message I received came to my email address.  

Thanks

Gear icon in upper right corner > Inbox > "New Message" button, then in the "Recipients" field start typing the recipient's username, it will give a list of matching ones and you can click to select one.

• KitanjiKitanji Posts: 33

I've attached snapshot of my Inbox.  As you can see, I only have an Inbox.  I have no New Message button or even a gear ion in the right corner to select.  What should I be seeing?

NoGearBox.JPG
    1889 x 626 - 83K