Using the New Forums (In Progress) - Please Post Questions and Issues Here !

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited September 2015

Anchors are useful if you make a very, very long post and want to create a table of contents at the top of the message. Make anchors in the appropriate places and link to them from the TOC.

Centering text test

Post edited by Kerya on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited September 2015

Centering text howto

Use "Source" button

write

<p style="text-align:center">YOUR TEXT HERE</p>

Post edited by Kerya on
  • MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited September 2015
    Kerya said:

Anchors are useful if you make a very, very long post and want to create a table of contents at the top of the message. Make anchors in the appropriate places and link to them from the TOC.

Well, actually I avoid to write texts that long. :-)

Kerya said:

Centering text howto

Use "Source" button

write

<p style="text-align:center">YOUR TEXT HERE</p>

Excellent! Thank you very much! :)

Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I found out the problem with a few of the images which wouldn't post- didn't see the black "file size too large" message that shows up in the bottom left corner for a few of them. That doesn't explain all of them though. I wish that warning was bright red or something, and a bit larger, not tucked in the bottom left corner.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

Maybe this has been covered somewhere in all those nice pages but uh, posting to one of the threads that would not let me edit the first post [didn't think it was that old but anyway] ... did NOT bump the thread. Very recent threads seem to be bumping okay so thought I'd mention this.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2015

a link to the thread would help  Paitience, but It is sorted out for you now

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

what's the best size for a sig banner?

thanks. 

edited September 2015

A few questions about uploads in the new forum:

1. Since we can attach different file types (Ds-Formats, Zip), what is the max. filesize?
    2. What are the minimum and maximum resolutions for images we can attach in the forum?
    3. Does the new forum have known problems with filenames and special characters (ö, ä, ü, é, à)?
    4. Are there any other limitations to image uploads in the new forum? Par example, min./max. characters for file names?

Last question is about the DAZ-Gallery, I remember the only limitation was the filesize, max.10MB. Is this still valid or have other limitations been added since the gallery went online? And the very last question,  we can attach Scene Files in the Gallery too, is there a different limitation to the filesize than 10MB?

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited September 2015

Not super important but, I thought I'd ask... 

Lately I've noticed a lot of blank posts here and there, and I've been wondering what's up with that... 

Last night I was writing a post with a quote, after a few words maybe a sentence or two, I had to leave, so I closed out Safari and plugged in the iPad to recharge... When I went to the forums this morning, I saw that the quote was posted, but the saved text was not... Which is weird, because even if I had accidentally posted it, why wasn't the stuff I wrote posted... That and I'm 99.96345% sure I did not hit post at all.

So, real weird... I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

If this is a forum bug, I'm thinking this could be a problem... What if someone who is a forum member is a super spy (probably one of the mods) and they like to use some dictation software (not a reference to dictator-like behavior) to make posts, and they accidentally leave their device on while in the middle of making a post, so they can take a classified phone call... Then they leave the the device on, it goes to sleep, the forum software posts the unedited text (with the classified conversation included) and BAM next thing we know forum members are dropping like flies...  Ya know... I'm just saying... 

Don't bother to thank me, I'm just thinking of everyone's safety here.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    MN-150374 said:
    1. Since we can attach different file types (Ds-Formats, Zip), what is the max. filesize?

I don't remember the max filesize offhand, however the most recent time I tried to attach a zip file that was too big (15mb? 5mb?), I got an error message listing the max size.  So just pick a giant file and try to attach it to a post and hopefully you should get your answer.  Note that the first time I did this I did NOT see the message though.  I'm uncertain if the message was a recent change, or if it's easily missed.

• sriesch said:
    MN-150374 said:

I don't remember the max filesize offhand, however the most recent time I tried to attach a zip file that was too big (15mb? 5mb?), I got an error message listing the max size.  So just pick a giant file and try to attach it to a post and hopefully you should get your answer.  Note that the first time I did this I did NOT see the message though.  I'm uncertain if the message was a recent change, or if it's easily missed.

Thanks, but I don´t have a specific file to upload now. Just a general question and no emergency. laugh

Could not find any answers to those general questions regarding uploads to the forum and the gallery with the forum search.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited September 2015

...the forum search is a usless piece of rubbish.

There are no filters at all to search by author, thread title, forum, date, specific phrase etc... I was looking for the Windows 10 is Here thread  only to wind up sifting through page after page of unrelated hits as the default seems to be set to "Search all forums", "Search by individual post" and "Match any word".  After wasting a good deal of time (because it would hit any and every occurrence of just "Windows", or "10" in only individual posts) I finally gave up and had to go paging through the contents to find it anyawy..

This could be one of the reasons why duplicate threads get opened on a topic because you can't narrow down the search parameters to target something more specific. The whole purpose of a search engine is to make the job of finding what one is looking for easier and quicker and not spending a lot of time paging/sifting through irrelevant results.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited September 2015
    kyoto kid said:

...the forum search is a usless piece of rubbish.

There are no filters at all to search by author, thread title, forum, date, specific phrase etc... I was looking for the Windows 10 is Here thread  only to wind up sifting through page after page of unrelated hits as the default seems to be set to "Search all forums", "Search by individual post" and "Match any word".  After wasting a good deal of time (because it would hit any and every occurrence of just "Windows", or "10" in only individual posts) I finally gave up and had to go paging through the contents to find it anyawy..

This could be one of the reasons why duplicate threads get opened on a topic because you can't narrow down the search parameters to target something more specific. The whole purpose of a search engine is to make the job of finding what one is looking for easier and quicker and not spending a lot of time paging/sifting through irrelevant results.

It would be a great help, if the search result would summarize the comments of one and the same thread. And would list those threads with the most hits on top. Instead you get the results as single comments sorted by date and you have to scroll through all the single comments of one and the same thread. Thats anoying if you already know, a specific thread matches the search term multiple times but is not really the topic you are looking for.

So who to contact to get answers to the following general questions about the new forum?  Someone at DAZ should know, dont you think?

MN-150374 said:

A few questions about uploads in the new forum:

2. What are the minimum and maximum resolutions for images we can attach in the forum?
    3. Does the new forum have known problems with filenames and special characters (ö, ä, ü, é, à)?
    4. Are there any other limitations to image uploads in the new forum? Par example, min./max. characters for file names?

Last question is about the DAZ-Gallery, I remember the only limitation was the filesize, max.10MB. Is this still valid or have other limitations been added since the gallery went online? And the very last question,  we can attach Scene Files in the Gallery too, is there a different limitation to the filesize than 10MB?

edited September 2015

file size AFAIK is 2 mb for forums.

Not sure about max res, but we do ask that if you link to an image, rather than attach it that you resize to 800 width in the upload screen, as shown

I would tend to avoid special characters

Haven't seen anything about name length.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Thank you, Chohole! Since we can use the URL of fullsize images in the DAZ Gallery, the only limitation in the gallery is still 10MB?

That one I am not certain about, let me see if I can find out for you

edited September 2015

That would be very nice. 10 MB is what I remember, but it was two years ago maybe more. Like Kyoto Kid I´m not very confident in using the forum search, maybe I missed some changes?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I need to ask.  I'm still confused at how to get an image to show fully in a post rather some little thumbnail.  Also when I have managed to get the full sized image into my posts they don't open in a new window as I want, they overwrite the current window so I have to hit the back button to get back to the forum posts!  I really wish the programmers would get this inline image thing sorted out and fixed as well as the log on thing were it takes me to my account rather than back to the last page I was at previously!  Such a PITA! 

edited September 2015
    McGyver said:

... Don't bother to thank me, I'm just thinking of everyone's safety here.

Thank you for that story! :-)

RAMWolff said:

I need to ask.  I'm still confused at how to get an image to show fully in a post rather some little thumbnail.  Also when I have managed to get the full sized image into my posts they don't open in a new window as I want, they overwrite the current window so I have to hit the back button to get back to the forum posts!  I really wish the programmers would get this inline image thing sorted out and fixed as well as the log on thing were it takes me to my account rather than back to the last page I was at previously!  Such a PITA! 

Over in the Art Studio McGyver has started a Thread

The idea of the thread is that you can attach your image there, right click on it and copy image location, then go to where you want to add the image and add it using the add image tool from the WYSIWYG tool box

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

Very handy I think I might give that a whirl, now they need to fix it so clicking the image loads a new tab.

CHEERS!

edited September 2015

Setting the Target to New Window (_blank) will open a new tab. Click the image below.

It works. :)

So it does, thanks for that!

CHEERS!

• My pleasure! The option Target New Window (_blank) works with Hyperlinks too.

Here you can test everything!

Cool, will do!

CHEERS!

• MistyMist said:

what's the best size for a sig banner?

thanks. 

1024 x 100 Pixel was suggested earlier.

edited May 2016

Quotes, Hyperlinks and a clickable Image

1. Quotes
    2. Create a Hyperlink
    3. Create a clickable Image
    4. About Attachments

Please make sure you read carefully the introduction post of this discussion Using the New Forum - Basic Navigation by DAZ_Ann0314. The following instructions will be easy to reproduce if you are familiar with the editor. The basic explanations provided by DAZ_Ann0314 will not be repeated here.

Translation into German Language is available in the German FAQ. / Übersetzung ins Deutsche gibt es in den Deutschsprachigen FAQ.

QUOTES

If you would like to quote a forum member, click on the button Quote at the end of the post.
    In the editor, you will see the text as a Block Quote. If you hover over the quote with your pointer you will see a red dotted line above and below .

Click on the angled arrow on the right end of the line if you want to insert a new row above or click below if you want to exit the Block Quote. To exit the Block Quote you do not necessarily go with the red arrow. It works to press the Enter Key twice in a row .

Back to TOC

CREATE A HYPERLINK

To create a hyperlink, you first need to write a text in the editor. With selected text a new PopUp appears by clicking the Link button.

In the Link Info tab, you have to paste the URL. Optional in the Target tab you can specify  the forwarding. If you choose New Window (_blank), the forwarding will open a new browser tab.

With OK the PopUp gets closed and with Post Comment you will send your post.

Example: New Forum Testing Area

Back to TOC

CREATE A CLICKABLE IMAGE

If you have attached an image to a post, it is possible to embed the image in the text as a larger preview.

After uploading the image with Attach a file, you must send your post first with Save/Post Comment.

By clicking on the thumbnail, the full size view of the image appears. Copy the URL from the address bar of your browser.

Go back to your post and select Edit in the gear menu.

Click the position in the editor where the image has to be inserted and click the Image button.

In the Image Properties PopUp, paste the URL of the full size view in the URL field.

In Width and Height you can adjust the dimensions of the image in pixels. Caution: Make sure the padlock is locked to keep the aspect ratio.

The forum allows a max. Width of 800 pixels. If the image dimensions are larger in full size view and you did not adjust the values yourself, it will be automatically scaled to fit the 800 pixels limitation. The aspect ratio will be maintained thereby.

With OK and Save Comment the image would be successfully inserted into your post. But until now only the image is inserted and the link to the full size view is missing.

To link the image to the full size view, go to the Link tab, there you have to paste again the URL and by setting the option Target => New Window (_blank) you make sure the forwarding will open a new browser tab.

With OK you close the PopUp and with Save Comment your changes to the original post will be visible in the forum.

The image is now available as a larger preview and with a click on it you will be forwarded to the full size view in a new browser tab.

Note: If you have already uploaded the image to your gallery, it is not necessary to attach the image to your post. You can get the URL of a full size view in your gallery.

Please visit the Image Upload Thread in the ArtStudio to store images there and to make use of the URLs everywhere in the Forum.

Back to TOC

ABOUT ATTACHMENTS

As Chohole told us, the max. Filesize for attachments in the Forum is 2 MB. There seem to be no other limitations.

Use the underline symbol ( _ ) instead of blanks in filenames. Blanks seem to be the cause of failed uploads.

Non-Native English Speakers be aware Special Characters (ö, ü, é, à etc.) in filenames may cause failed uploads too.

Back to TOC

Flowers.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 211K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited September 2015

OK, what's up with the forum subscribe star?  I am basically seeing most of the stared threads I'm subscribed to now white, as in no longer subscribed and when I try to click on the star I get a blinking cursor like the forum is in edit mode.

EDITED:  OK, fixed it.  It was on my end.  The Color This Site script I whipped up was at fault.  I've fixed it and the star is now showing golden when clicked on!  My bad.. sorry...  Script below in case your interested... it's Blue and Slate.....

txt
    txt
    CTS - DAZForums - Blue - Slate - GoldPiping.txt
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

The weird you are signed in, but not really thing is back...

Normally, when you click the little blue User icon/ Christopher Pike icon, you should see this...

But when you are semi-signed in, but not really... You see this...

And then there is this little nugget... "Invalid Password"... Then why am I able to access my account page?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Not sure, but there does seem to be a half-signed-in-but-not-really state inbetween signed in and signed out, perhaps that could be causing it. 

When you get automatically signed out and sign back in again, click a bookmarked link to the forum (not an email message link!) be sure you see the "signing in" message, THEN you are totally signed in and things will start working right (or at least for me.)  If you haven't seen the "signing in" message, you aren't all the way there yet.