Show Daz that Carrara users are a market worth supporting! How many Product Pages do you have?

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

57pages, growing pretty slowly here at DAZ since I quit the Platinum Club years ago due to very few new products useable in Carrara "as purchased" (TangoAlpha's Carrara format items being a recent happy exception) .  My overall collection of non-DAZ Poser format items, however, is still growing pretty quickly ... there's some very nice stuff out there, and on deep discount occasionally.  I've started adding lots of keywords to the very large directory with all the folders, so I can search with Windows Explorer.  The Poser format folder (not including Carrara, Vue, OBJ, Mocaps, etc.) is 174GB, with about 2800 separate product folders, more than my feeble mind can track.  And yes, I do find products I've forgotten I bought, thinking "that must have been a pretty good sale".

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223

Off the top of my head, I know three PC+ vendors at Daz whose products include Poser versions:

Jack Tomalin, Petipet, and Ravnheart, but I think there are more. I'm addicted to collecting from these three - but I also buy from all manner of Daz vendors - so long as they offer Poser versions. Merlin's stuff works great... wait... I better not do that... there are a lot of Daz vendors whose products work really well in Carrara - I could be typing for days! 

I really do have to take a break from all of my studies to A: Complete some of my products I've started and, B: Get some of my animation stuff done and published to the web and, C: Get my tutorials finished and published to the web.

Learning new stuff sure can consume a lot of time and focus power

Dartanbeck -

Okay, you see the glass as half full.  From my perspective (the products I like), its way more than half empty.  A quick check on the most recent additions to the DAZ Store: the first page has 60 items, not one is in Poser format (I didn't check past that, but I'm guessing it would take a while to find one).  A lot of my favorite DAZ vendors in the past have evidently decided to provide only DAZ Studio formats:  Stonemason, Maclean, The AntFarm, Predatron, Nightshift3D, First Bastion ...  I'm sure they know their business, it just no longer includes me.

We really are not disagreeing, I still shop here and have products from the vendors you list.  I just don't have the time to wade through all the new products since the vast majority are for DAZ Studio.  I generally just check the "Fast Grabs" for Poser (or Carrara - thank you, TangoAlpha) format and that's it.

• sadly it does not stop me, I find ways to import fix them.

I did start a thread on how its getting harder to do that though with predictable replies.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/145866/the-old-flogged-to-death-obj-and-fbx-export-subject#latest

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited February 2017

I really do have to take a break from all of my studies to A: Complete some of my products I've started

Come on Dart, get your finger out! My catalogue is already in double figures; you're severely lagging behind! cheeky

(which reminds me, I need to update my sig...)

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i've slowed down buying sets like i used to, til they fix that u wrap thing.

they cant say how to fix it from the ds side.   

sadly it does not stop me, I find ways to import fix them.

I did start a thread on how its getting harder to do that though with predictable replies.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/145866/the-old-flogged-to-death-obj-and-fbx-export-subject#latest

A noble effort and you have my sympathy.  I really avoid messing with import/export technicalities, mostly because its frustrating and it takes time away from what I want to do, make short animations.  That's why I stick to products which are highly likely to work in Carrara "as purchased". 

Steve K said:

sadly it does not stop me, I find ways to import fix them.

A noble effort and you have my sympathy.  I really avoid messing with import/export technicalities, mostly because its frustrating and it takes time away from what I want to do, make short animations.  That's why I stick to products which are highly likely to work in Carrara "as purchased". 

+1

I totally commend you, Girl Friend! I actually got Carrara so I wouldn't have to jump through so many hoops - and I still don't feel like jumping! LOL

Steve K said:

Dartanbeck -

We really are not disagreeing, I still shop here and have products from the vendors you list.  I just don't have the time to wade through all the new products since the vast majority are for DAZ Studio.  I generally just check the "Fast Grabs" for Poser (or Carrara - thank you, TangoAlpha) format and that's it.

I agree that we're not disagreeing! ;)

I was only shing some light on possible new opportunities to a fellow collegue (and friend)  - and I agree with the store pages being as you mention. I never look at them like that anymore - ever since Genesis 3 came out and no sign of compatibility.

So being a PC+ member, I often shop by clicking the PC+ box at the top of the store page, and then on the PC+ items and start browsing.

I also go to Shop > Vendor and peruse various vendors. I try to frequent the store enough to have a good idea of what's here - so I can wish list stuff I want. But it's changed... again, with the advent of Genesis 3 and our lack of support for it - as well, having RDNA come aboard with piles of Generation 4 stuff!!! 

Another habit I have - originating from checking for freebies, is to pick a category and then filter by Price: Low to High, and sometimes the other way around. I'll also go to People and wearables, pick clothing and then filter by V4 and M4 and whomever else I want to shop for. Amazing how much stuff I want but still don't have... and I can often find a lot of it for much less nowadays.

The last PC+ sale was incredible! They gave away gigantic bundles! Serious! Over three full pages of free goods went into my product library - plus a few items I was able to buy along the way.

MistyMist said:

Yeah... I'm actually quite afraid of that thing. If I have something with that issue, I must have got it for free and haven't seen it in Carrara yet.

I really try to not buy DUF-only products right now simply due to possible issues. One day I want to see if I can fix a DUF-only product by performing some simple CCT actions in DS and exporting as CR2 or whatever a prop file is in Poser to see if it becomes more compatible. Basically try going through what the authro didn't want to go through to make a Poser-compatible version.

As much as I don't lke jumping through hoops... some things are just worth the extra effort - I think!

I really do have to take a break from all of my studies to A: Complete some of my products I've started

Come on Dart, get your finger out! My catalogue is already in double figures; you're severely lagging behind! cheeky

(which reminds me, I need to update my sig...)

Agreed. Gotta git off me arse! ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited February 2017
    MistyMist said:

I wonder if there is a search and destroy that you can do in notepad (or similar) that could untick the u wrap values en masse?

perhaps you could make a small car scene, tick the u wrap and then compare it in notepad to one with the u wrap not ticked?

Post edited by Headwax on
    head wax said:
    MistyMist said:

I wonder if there is a search and destroy that you can do in notepad (or similar) that could untick the u wrap values en masse?

perhaps you could make a small car scene, tick the u wrap and then compare it in notepad to one with the u wrap not ticked?

someone posted a notepad hack after conveting the thing to .car 

last couple things i bought, had plans to do it, but never did.  runtime gathering dust.

it's not a shader setting, we cant share the work.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Products list to date is 70 pages... 

Wishlist is only 12 pages since I have most of the Carrara items available... still a few to get though.

MistyMist said:
    head wax said:
    MistyMist said:

someone posted a notepad hack after conveting the thing to .car 

last couple things i bought, had plans to do it, but never did.  runtime gathering dust.

it's not a shader setting, we cant share the work.

That was my buddy, Kakman. Can't remember which thread that was in though :(

• yes was find replace ABoo 23 with ABoo 3

yes was find replace ABoo 23 with ABoo 3

That's the one!!! Thanks Wendy!!! ;)

• Greetings everyone.   Anyone in need of new Carrara Shaders?

Ringo

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

Greetings, Ringo!

Glad to see you. 

After many growing pains, I have now switched from the V4/M4 generation figures to the Genesis 2 generation figures for most generic projects.  I am the proud owner and very appreciative of many of your shaders for the G2 products.  I recommend them to anyone.  Have not cracked the G3 in Carrara issue, so am satisfied with my current character shader collection for the moment.

In terms of that conversion category, for myslf, I would be interested in shader packs that provide one-click solutions for poducts that are Iray-only, such as some of the new sets and props.  However, I don't know that there is enough demand by other potential buyers of those sets for use in Carrara to justify it for a PA.  It would be hard for a PA to know which such sets I'd consider buying.

In terms of other generic shader packs dedicated for Carrara use, some categories that I am often interested in include more complex and detailed terrain shaders for medium sized scenes.  I'd also be interested in more specialized tree barks and other naturalistic shaders.  Have some, could always use more variety.

Thanks for all the great products.

Greetings everyone.   Anyone in need of new Carrara Shaders?

Ringo

Always in need of Your shaders, my friend! Welcome home!!! I was getting worried!

edited February 2017

Greetings everyone.   Anyone in need of new Carrara Shaders?

Ringo

need dragon shaders, brought most of the cr2 dragons over.

desperate for black skinned dragon shaders, still see details, but don't become tan dragons >.<

albino skin and hair shaders

Post edited by Mistara on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814

128   now 

still no love broken heart

I just realized if you go to the front page of the "Shop" tab and leave the "Hide Items I Own" checked, you can subtract the two numbers and get the number you own.  In my case, about 2100.  Although not going up much anymore since I stick with Carrara & Poser format, not much new here at DAZ (except for TangoAlpha, very good Carrara products).  OTOH, my overall collection is still mushrooming (don't tell my wife)  wink

looking for the carrara version dalek. one of the shiny m&m coated ones.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

nearly two years old, 23 pages and still SFA

just about answers it. 

I cant see why so suddenly en masse so many pa's dont put out poser versions as well

unless they are being pressured not too

daleks are unleashed from isengard

• pmart868pmart868 Posts: 37

Hi to All

1) 21
    2) Carrara
    3) Yes.

I purchased a made for Carrara product today also.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    head wax said:

I cant see why so suddenly en masse so many pa's dont put out poser versions as well

unless they are being pressured not too

For me:

1. It doesn't support replication / instances (essential for most of my sets).
    2. I don't have it.

Sorry Tango to be muddy.

Traditionally Carrara used poser format products.

Traditionally many daz pa's supported poser format products - eg Stonemason et al.

Ergo, those pa's were also supporting Carrara.

I know I can import eg Streets of London into Carrara (Stonemason) 

because I spent half a day on Sunday trying different ways (along with Build a Street) , but to be honest, it wasn't worth it.

Out of interest, the best way turned out via FBX export from Studio - though the textures had to be fixed in a few places.

head wax said:

Sorry Tango to be muddy.

Traditionally Carrara used poser format products.

Right, but Carrara format is even better, I can use the lights, cameras, etc.

head wax said:

... I spent half a day on Sunday trying different ways (along with Build a Street) , but to be honest, it wasn't worth it.

Right again.  I've given up on DS products (*.DUF format).  I've got plenty of content already and am getting more every week, just not much at DAZ.