The Streets Of Old London (commercial preview)

Comments

•  

From what I've found, test a render without it, then apply it and do another. You can simply CTRL+Z to 'undo', that way, if it turns out it's made things weird. :)

Sometimes, there's really no detectable difference.

Cool, thanks for the tip :)

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    kyoto kid said:

...there's also Stonemasosn's Iray Clouds.

I seriously need to start experimenting with that... It looks like just the thing for submerging planes and such in.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited January 2016

Thanks Kitty for the advice. Yes I noticed some things that need tweaking - like the sheen on the road.

I just used the HDRI skies I had bought from the store, it's a start.

kyoto kid, like the guy with the flame feet laugh

..thank you,  a play on a line from the original Batman film:

Tell me something my freind. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Getting the moonlight effect was really tricky.  Researched a lot of photos of moonlight nights.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Yes I noticed some things that need tweaking - like the sheen on the road.

That's one of the more common things that don't quite convert accurately, every now and then you'll come across something that abruptly becomes glossy as if it's been freshly waxed and polished.

Something else to watch out for is Displacement, due to the different way Iray does it. There are several possible fixes; increase the SubD setting, or move the Displacement map into the Bump parameter, or convert the Displacement map into a Normal map and apply it to the Normal parameter... it varies depending on exactly how the material is set up.

• Thanks a lot, I'll play with some of those ideas smiley

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

I have a few images using this dotted around the forums. I used the Iray Uber Shader on all the surfaces and never noticed anything wrong. The shiny street is because in the originaĺ it has been raining and the streets are wet, there are also puddles in the gutters in places. I'm 3000 miles from my computer ATM but going from memory you have to turn off Glossy and or Reflection to tone it down. I have also used the .jpg from the skydome in the Environment Map of the Iray Dome by making it Finite Dome and lowering the ?Multiplier? or ?Scale? setting (sorry can't remember what it is called)

• Ahh, wet streets makes sense. I did notice it was more noticeable from some angles - that makes sense.

Thank you :)

• david_macraedavid_macrae Posts: 109
    edited September 2016

Hi, I am interested in purchasing this set and just want to double check that the Obj and Mtl files are in the download. The same way was done with Chinatown. I am a poser only user. I was able to load all the Chinatown obj props into place in poser directly just by using obj import. And it looks faboulous. I heard that in later releases Stonemason included obj but no mtl files. Here in this thread it says they are there now. I would like to confirm this.

Thank you,

David

ps I am sad he no longer supports poser even though I completely understand why. And obj import works well enough with mtl files.

Post edited by david_macrae on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Includes mtl - see attachment. The jpgs are in a folder in Runtime\textures\Stonemason\sov ... as long as you tick off "centered" in the obj import options, things load correctly in place (apart from the decals - those are landing up in the air - and the streets - they are obviously not saved at 100%). Now I wished there were a python script to load all objs in one folder, there 96 obj ... LOL

StreetsOfOldLondonOBJ.jpg
    873 x 904 - 408K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,902

If you only use Poser, then you will have a lot of patience to set up the scene. Material files to .Obj files does not point to the proper paths to textures,

so you will need to find them yourself. There is no full scene ready assembled, so you will be on your own.

It is so much easier to use Daz Studio (free) for this set.

edited September 2016

I have tried and if you decide to install Daz Studio, even just for exporting scenes to the other formats, it will be much easier to proceed in Poser.

Below are a SuperFly renders from Poser 11 Pro of The Streets Of Old London exported from Daz Studio as a Collada file.

I have added Andy 2 for a scale comparison.

soL02pic01.jpg
    1085 x 942 - 243K
    soL02pic02.jpg
    1085 x 942 - 241K
    soL02pic05.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 522K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited September 2016

Poser 11 FireFly render.

soL04pic05.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 466K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • david_macraedavid_macrae Posts: 109
    edited September 2016

Thanks @Kerya that is the list I wanted to see.

@Artini  "I have tried and if you decide to install Daz Studio, even just for exporting scenes to the other formats, it will be much easier to proceed in Poser."

I have no problems editing files to point to the correct path I did it with chinatown (but there are a lot more here). But I am glad you showed me this I am at some point going to have to learn to do that. I have a friend who uses Daz to convert poser stuff for blender.

I am in the middle of a project right now but I already have the whole story for a victorian/ Black Butleresque anime that I cant wait to do next And this set will really work well for. And thanks for the renders.

p.s. nice renders :-)

Post edited by david_macrae on
  • IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159
    edited September 2016

I was working on a "penny dreadful" a while back and pulled the WIP back out because of this thread.

001.jpg
    973 x 598 - 548K
    Post edited by Ikyoto on
    edited September 2016

...is that in Iray?  I cannot get the roughness of the paving and cobblestones to look right. In all my attempts they look like a linoleum floor with a pattern in it.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited September 2016

I used the NVIDEA MDL Examples: Concrete shader from what I recall.

Post edited by Ikyoto on
  • Ikyoto said:

I was working on a "penny dreadful" a while back and pulled the WIP back out because of this thread.

That looks very nice !

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,578
    edited September 2016

Never get tired of rendering this set. I'll be a happy camper if I can ever get the volumetrics integrated . . .

- Greg

paint-yyz-800.png
    800 x 450 - 666K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

Nice illustration style! That Iray, or 3DL? I would imagine that the modification is your own.

Ikyoto said:

...so is that something available in the store?

• @algovincian that is another really nice npr render. In my next animation project after the current one I am working on I am planning on using a more painterly style for the backgrounds.

• kyoto kid said:
    Ikyoto said:

It's in the Default Resouces pack that comes with DS (if it's the one I think) - there are a bunch of sample Iray materials, using custom shaders, as well as the Iray Uber Shader.

• JOdel said:

Nice illustration style! That Iray, or 3DL? I would imagine that the modification is your own.

Thanks, JOdel. I render out multiple render passes using 3DL. These analysis passes are then used by additional software to understand the scene. The strokes are governed by fractal algorithms.

- Greg

kyoto kid said:
    Ikyoto said:

It's in the Default Resouces pack that comes with DS (if it's the one I think) - there are a bunch of sample Iray materials, using custom shaders, as well as the Iray Uber Shader.

Right you are.

edited September 2016
    JOdel said:

Thanks, JOdel. I render out multiple render passes using 3DL. These analysis passes are then used by additional software to understand the scene. The strokes are governed by fractal algorithms.

- Greg

YOU MADE ME THINK! STOP IT!

PM me with the process and I will try not to poop in your shoe.

Post edited by Ikyoto on
  • @algovincian that is another really nice npr render. In my next animation project after the current one I am working on I am planning on using a more painterly style for the backgrounds.

Glad to hear you like it, David - thanks! If you can post anything from your current, or future, projects, please do so - I'd love to see 'em!

- Greg

kyoto kid said:
    Ikyoto said:

...is that the folder labelled Nvidia MDL Examples?

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158
    edited September 2016

Never get tired of rendering this set. I'll be a happy camper if I can ever get the volumetrics integrated . . .

- Greg

that looks good.

I used a fog pane when i used Street of London set at the 4 minute mark in this animation for the fog volume , I used fog panes because it help speed up rendering  the scenes for animation. and gave me the foggy haze look i was looking for,  maybe something like a fog pane would work for you?

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Never get tired of rendering this set. I'll be a happy camper if I can ever get the volumetrics integrated . . .

- Greg

It looks great, Greg!  I love the painted effect!

• kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Ikyoto said:

...is that the folder labelled Nvidia MDL Examples?

Yes, Shader presets>Iray>Nvidia MDL Examples