Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited October 2017
    tkdrobert said:

Toying around with some different concepts for my main character.  I think I like the 2nd one better.

Alex Riker Concept 2 by tkdrobert

Alex Riker Concept 3 by tkdrobert

The second one does look awesome, but don't count out the first one yet. Sometimes its best to have your human character have a face (or part of it at least). You know how judge dredd became an icon despite not seeing his whole head? The helmet that exposed his jaw shows a variety of personalities Dredd.  

I could make the face plate on the 2nd helmet transparent when I need to.  I've seen that in some Anime.  Also, I think I'm going to try switching the helmet from the 1st suit to the 2nd suit and see how that looks.  Even if I don't use that 1st suit for my main character, I'm still going to use it, cause it's awesome.  I think I'm going to put it on my heavy weapons guy, but maybe with a different helmet.

My main character is an Ace Starfighter pilot, so these outfits are for when he is in space (flying or otherwise).  I will probably use the original look or some variation when he is not in space. 

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Finally got the dragon design completed! Yeah, the wing texture needs work, but the basic shape is there.

Figure is Dragon 3: the cool scales/spines on his back come from Zilladreki - The Monster Dragon HD. I think the basic shape is pretty good, and those zilla spine plates really add a lot of character to him.

NOTE: Since this is just a throwaway illustration, I didn't put a lot of work into cleaning it up or touching it up. From start to finish (figure set up to final post) I spent a little more than 2 hours on this (and most of that time was spent on discovering the horn and head options, and then selecting them). I probably only spent about 45 minutes on the illustration above... if that much.

I LIKE IT!  I watched the original Robocop again last night, so I had to use that quote.  ;-)

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2017

Finally got the dragon design completed! Yeah, the wing texture needs work, but the basic shape is there.

Figure is Dragon 3: the cool scales/spines on his back come from Zilladreki - The Monster Dragon HD. I think the basic shape is pretty good, and those zilla spine plates really add a lot of character to him.

NOTE: Since this is just a throwaway illustration, I didn't put a lot of work into cleaning it up or touching it up. From start to finish (figure set up to final post) I spent a little more than 2 hours on this (and most of that time was spent on discovering the horn and head options, and then selecting them). I probably only spent about 45 minutes on the illustration above... if that much.

Looks pretty god to me - now we need a flashback to his killing livestock, burning villages and gobbling up children days!

- Greg

Hmmmmm. I hadn't considered that, but it's an interesting idea.. I do have room on the page, and a scene of him blasting fire and swooping around could be vey cool! That may very well make it into the story. THANKS.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • VUgh, I've been busy so I'm way behind in this thread.  I'll catch up and comment, I promise.  I did work on a project today using 3DL and LineRender9000.  I did the lines with a filter in FF 5 and composited in Gimp.  It's just a preliminary image.  I still have plans for the background.  I just thought I'd share.

Very cute indeed! Great work!

Looks great, KM - any plans for a familiar for her?

- Greg

Thanks @Algovincian

I'm thinking about a familiar.  I haven't come up with a good idea yet other than possibly using Noodles and doing a morph to make him gain some weight.  Another option is to use Scratch from Puddles and Scratch.  I'm not sure yet.  I also have The Cat but he seems a little more scary than what I had in mind for this render.   I'll play with him, though, because I haven't rendered him yet.  I might be able to make him less scary.  And, I have Toonimal Kitty but I might have to seriously redo his materials to get something I'd be happy with.  There aren't that many other cartoon cats.

• Ugh, I've been busy so I'm way behind in this thread.  I'll catch up and comment, I promise.  I did work on a project today using 3DL and LineRender9000.  I did the lines with a filter in FF 5 and composited in Gimp.  It's just a preliminary image.  I still have plans for the background.  I just thought I'd share.

Thanks! i love it! Very cute, and the boots give her a nice, modern edge. Love the hat and the hair, btw. And the bold purple is a great touch! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks, MM.  I do love that outfit.  Hmm, that hat I had to use my use different shaders.  The hat had old Poser shaders that wouldn't work in DS.  However, one can never go wrong with @DestinysGarden shaders.  I thought I'd use the purple to go with and highlight the purple in her outfit.

VUgh, I've been busy so I'm way behind in this thread.  I'll catch up and comment, I promise.  I did work on a project today using 3DL and LineRender9000.  I did the lines with a filter in FF 5 and composited in Gimp.  It's just a preliminary image.  I still have plans for the background.  I just thought I'd share.

Very cute indeed! Great work!

Thanks, Sammy.  :)

head wax said:

Ugh, I've been busy so I'm way behind in this thread.  I'll catch up and comment, I promise.  I did work on a project today using 3DL and LineRender9000.  I did the lines with a filter in FF 5 and composited in Gimp.  It's just a preliminary image.  I still have plans for the background.  I just thought I'd share.

Thanks! i love it! Very cute, and the boots give her a nice, modern edge. Love the hat and the hair, btw. And the bold purple is a great touch! Looking forward to seeing more!

double that - it's a cute witch :)

Thanks, head wax.  I appreciate it.  :)

I like his lines and shading very much.  Very good even if it is a throwaway image.  Sometimes, those images we think are throwaways turn out to be pretty darn good. :)

edited October 2017

I like his lines and shading very much.  Very good even if it is a throwaway image.  Sometimes, those images we think are throwaways turn out to be pretty darn good. :)

Thank you very much. By "throwaway," I mean that it will not see print (unless it's in a backup feature or a filler on a text page) because this pose and scene don't fit into the comic story. Shading was pretty good, I agree (thanks for saying it). I decided to go with a three tone shading approach on it: Black, light gray and dark gray. The biggest flaw with it is the solid black wings. Visually, it actually looks okay... but it lacks the detail from the rest of the image.

edited October 2017

Adam Jenson Unleashed

Adam Jenson Unleashed by tkdrobert

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Thank you very much. By "throwaway," I mean that it will not see print (unless it's in a backup feature or a filler on a text page) because this pose and scene don't fit into the comic story. Shading was pretty good, I agree (thanks for saying it). I decided to go with a three tone shading approach on it: Black, light gray and dark gray. The biggest flaw with it is the solid black wings. Visually, it actually looks okay... but it lacks the detail from the rest of the image.

Lots of character in this one, especially the face. and the black wings add drama.

edited October 2017

Carrara job. 

The trees are in part from Philemeno's wonderous new plug in - available at Carrara forum.

No automatic alt text available.

One below is for a show at t an art gallery here in Oz. (I'm not part of it, just did it as an exersize)

Image may contain: 1 person

Post edited by Headwax on
  • head wax said:

Lots of character in this one, especially the face. and the black wings add drama.

Thanks. Visually, I like the black wings (I agree, they add weight and drama). But... stylastically, for the comic, it's not quite the right look. Nevertheless, I'm back at work trying to get the panel laid out. Scale, pose and framing are going to be an issue because it's a two page spread.

edited October 2017
    head wax said:

Carrara job.  The trees are in part from Philemeno's wonderous new plug in - available at Carrara forum.

One below is for a show at t an art gallery here in Oz. (I'm not part of it, just did it as an exersize)

Very cool combination of illustrations! Love that cool tree effect (can you tell us a little more about that?). And the cover is ver nice.

• tkdrobert said:

Adam Jenson Unleashed

Strong sense of movement. Normally, I would suggest adding some contrast to his britches, or using a lighter shade, but in this case, it really works. Well done.

head wax said:

Carrara job.  The trees are in part from Philemeno's wonderous new plug in - available at Carrara forum.

Very cool combination of illustrations! Love that cool tree effect (can you tell us a little more about that?). And the cover is ver nice.

thanks ! the new plugin is here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/200861/gmic-new-plugin-available-now-for-windows/p1

there is a little video tut as well - it basically means you can access these filters directly through carrara

big advantage appears to be in animation or tiering filters?

tkdrobert said:

Adam Jenson Unleashed

Strong sense of movement. Normally, I would suggest adding some contrast to his britches, or using a lighter shade, but in this case, it really works. Well done.

The paints did have a lighter texture to it, but I didn't like it, so I went with solid black.

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 319
    edited October 2017

This is a basic DAZ render with my latest Photoshop experiments. I'm mostly happy with my b&w results now but I'm stil working on getting a color version that I like.  (It's very difficult to get decent results with medium and dark skins).

NPR-1a.jpg
    600 x 600 - 321K
    NPR-1b.jpg
    600 x 600 - 335K
    Post edited by Crescent on
  • Crescent said:

This is a basic DAZ render with my latest Photoshop experiments. I'm mostly happy with my b&w results now but I'm stil working on getting a color version that I like.  (It's very difficult to get decent results with medium and dark skins).

Both are very nice. Have you considered rendering the figure as a separate layer (without the background) so you could combine the two? I'm thinking this would look stronger if you took the thicker-lined version of the figure and put it on the lighter background. It's a common illustrative technique to put figures in stronger lines to make them "pop." Just a suggestion for you to think about. I really like the overall effect you have achieved.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Adam Jenson Unleashed

The pants did have a lighter texture to it, but I didn't like it, so I went with solid black.

Good call. It worke here. I'm also impressed by how much their skin tones really stand out against the background. It provides us with the "Classic-Three" composition. Frankly, I'm surprised that such small patches of color work so well. If I were setting up the scene in my mind, I wouldn't have predicted such solid results. But it definitely works here! Well done.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Adam Jenson Unleashed

The pants did have a lighter texture to it, but I didn't like it, so I went with solid black.

Good call. It worke here. I'm also impressed by how much their skin tones really stand out against the background. It provides us with the "Classic-Three" composition. Frankly, I'm surprised that such small patches of color work so well. If I were setting up the scene in my mind, I wouldn't have predicted such solid results. But it definitely works here! Well done.

Thanks I tweaked the colors alot in postwork to make it stand out more.  I think it worked well.

• I think I finally settled on the costume for the hero from my story. I bought the top over at R'osity: Prae-Epoch for M4 by prae

I spent a little more than an hour on this, and since it's not going into the story, I'm just going to leave it as is (I see a few spots that need touch-up).

I got behind on the thread again, but glad to see you found an outfit to work with your character design! I enjoy seeing more examples of your style too.

There be dragons! Awesome - he needs more pixels to be displayed in all his glory.

I'm not on my main DAZ box at the moment so I can't open the scene and check, but I remember the DAZ Dragon 2 having all sorts of accessories when I made this image:

Should be able to pick it up on the cheap these days.

- Greg

I really have trouble believing that is a render and not a pencil sketch... very nice look! I love this a lot.

Big guy I did in a 3D render, but decided to go with style, and love the blue hair :)

The hair is nice, but I also really like the "ink" style lines on the scarf, very nice!

• It's been ages since I've posted anything in this thread. For some reason, Daz stopped sending me alerts to remind me to. Hope ya'll like my latest project ...

I do like it. A nice overall feel for it, and good tones in the hands and hair especially.

tkdrobert said:

Toying around with some different concepts for my main character.  I think I like the 2nd one better.

Alex Riker Concept 2 by tkdrobertAlex Riker Concept 3 by tkdrobert

I think this was already mentioned, but if you can easily make the second one have a transparent face mask at times to show the character, I think I like the textures on the second one more. Both give a similar overall effect though, I like the colors.

Ugh, I've been busy so I'm way behind in this thread.  I'll catch up and comment, I promise.  I did work on a project today using 3DL and LineRender9000.  I did the lines with a filter in FF 5 and composited in Gimp.  It's just a preliminary image.  I still have plans for the background.  I just thought I'd share.

Too cute! I like the purple. And the boots. Fun character! laugh

• I thought I keep the dragon series going, let me know what you guys think. The original and re-rendered piece.

Looks good. I like the effect of the texture and lines on the final version, it reminds me a bit of woodblock prints with watercolor painting over the ink.

Great dragon design, I'll be interested to see how the wings turn out if you do go for more texture. The multiple gray tones in this add a lot of fine detail too, really like checking it out at full size to see all of that. Very cool!

edited October 2017

Two Carrara jobs, post work in Topaz Impression and in Filter Forge combined with Carrara native render passes - eg Coverage (outline) shadow and diffuse as well as the normal pass

This was Inspired by a piece done by an artist I like a lot, Garth Graham GarthFT.  His peace is called Cyronic Beauty and is a sci-fi take on Sleeping Beauty.  My render is simular, but I swapped the genders for the fun of it.  Garth does the art for an online comic called Star Power.  I met him and his writer Michael Terracciano at a convention.  They inspired me to get back into art.

Sleeping Beauty Remix by tkdrobert

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    tkdrobert said:

This was Inspired by a piece done by an artist I like a lot, Garth Graham GarthFT.  His peace is called Cyronic Beauty and is a sci-fi take on Sleeping Beauty.  My render is simular, but I swapped the genders for the fun of it.  Garth does the art for an online comic called Star Power.  I met him and his writer Michael Terracciano at a convention.  They inspired me to get back into art.

Sleeping Beauty Remix by tkdrobert

Sweet! I'm liking this style a lot! Not only the attention to detail, but the shadows pop up from the characters (even the tank!). Awesome work!

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    edited October 2017

This was sent to a Deviantart Contest. Atomic Blonde

Atomic Blonde contest 2010size.jpg
    2010 x 2601 - 306K
    Post edited by Sammagi on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited October 2017

Here is a WIP for the Carrara pin up challenge.  Frahm in Glasgow.  wink

Reading some comments above, one thing that jumps out at me is that I need to soften the background lines.  Invite other suggestions as well.  Got this result by combining Carrara's NPR outline renderer with a GMIC pencil sketch filter.

Post edited by Diomede on

This was sent to a Deviantart Contest. Atomic Blonde

Nice.  I almost entered that contest.  

edited October 2017

I finally got those IRAY toon shaders (ground, rocks, bricks, etc) on sale.  I did a really fast render to test out.  The girl's skin and eyes are a seperate IRAY toon shader.  One has no postwork and the other does.

Iray Toon Test by tkdrobert

Iray Toon Test 2 by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    Diomede said:

Here is a WIP for the Carrara pin up challenge.  Frahm in Glasgow.  wink

Reading some comments above, one thing that jumps out at me is that I need to soften the background lines.  Invite other suggestions as well.  Got this result by combining Carrara's NPR outline renderer with a GMIC pencil sketch filter.

very nice Diomede, be good to see i t combined with a post work shadow pass?

edited October 2017

Carrara job - after Hans Bellmer - post work in Filter Forge and Oloneo HDR.  V4 slightly altered - custom displcement map etc

This discussion has been closed.