Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,534
    Artini said:

Looks great, tkdrobert. I like the style of your images.

Thank you.

edited September 2017

The Battleship Yamato:

Yamato II by tkdrobert

Post edited by Chohole on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Margaery Tyrell

What are you doing for these?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,929
    tkdrobert said:

The Battleship Yamato:

Yamato II by tkdrobert

that has a wonderful illustrated feel

Been working on this for the past day and a half. It's a panel from my upcoming comic book story. I need to put this into context of the entire page to make sure I have the thickness of the inking correct, but in general, I kinda like it. BTW: I wound up having to create the ring from scratch. I needed a ring that was really simple and iconic -- inasmuch as detail tends to get lost in this style, and comics is the art of simplification, I just wanted a huge diamond on a simple ring. I had the gemstone, so I created the ring out three toruses (torusi? My Latin is lousy!). I then scaled and placed the ring and the two ring mounts, created a group and parented it to her hand. The rest is as usual: V4 in Poser 11, clean-up in Photoshop and final work in Manga Studio 5 EX (aka Clip Studio Paint 5 EX).

terrific as usual, what do you do in Manga Studio? eg add that light flash.? more textures?

thanks for commenting on the Cow Chucking Device/

@AlmightyQUEST  thank you too. Carrara is good.

All right, so I got a chance to try a few adjustments to my previous render. I just focused on the jacket and left the background as it is for this one, but ended up with two variants. One just adjusting the outline to distinguish the jacket more clearly from the background, and one that additionally adds a little more detail into the jacket itself. I haven't decided whether the extra details distract too much, but am going to give it a few days to see how I feel before picking one for the gallery.

That said, thought some might be interested to see the versions compared to the original, and would be interested if anyone did have any feedback on the change.

Hey, coculdnt find the first one sorry, but the one in this lot with the extra Jacket details makes a big difference as those lines define the form.

Margaery Tyrell

the shadows sit nicely

• head wax said:

Been working on this for the past day and a half. It's a panel from my upcoming comic book story. I need to put this into context of the entire page to make sure I have the thickness of the inking correct, but in general, I kinda like it. BTW: I wound up having to create the ring from scratch. I needed a ring that was really simple and iconic -- inasmuch as detail tends to get lost in this style, and comics is the art of simplification, I just wanted a huge diamond on a simple ring. I had the gemstone, so I created the ring out three toruses (torusi? My Latin is lousy!). I then scaled and placed the ring and the two ring mounts, created a group and parented it to her hand. The rest is as usual: V4 in Poser 11, clean-up in Photoshop and final work in Manga Studio 5 EX (aka Clip Studio Paint 5 EX).

terrific as usual, what do you do in Manga Studio? eg add that light flash.? more textures?

thanks for commenting on the Cow Chucking Device/  [You're welcome! -- MM]

Thanks. I use Photoshop to do my initial clean-up: I trim extra lines (especially around her wings), white-out errors and then run the Adjustments>Threshold to convert everything to "pure" black & white.

Then I go to Manga Studio to do the rest of my finishes. I add extra weight to the lines around her body (like on her arms). This is easier in MS because the ink tool will automatically add a thin start and finish to my ink line (it simulates having a pressure-sensitve tablet and stylus). I then add the diagonal-line shading. And yes, the flash burst was a built-in texture that shipped with MS. I just dragged and dropped it, scaled it a little bit, and it was done. MS has lots of useful little textures built in. 

Another thing that MS does better than Photoshop relates to those diagonal lines I use for shading. You see, I can scale the image when I export it, and the lines stay exactly the same. That is, If I export the image at 100% or at 50%, the tone lines do not get closer together. If I tell the program that I want all my screens to use 60 lpi, the tones will remain at 60 lpi no matter what size I choose for final export. This is an awesome feature for print comics.

• Artini said:

Looks great, mmitchell_houston, and your tutorial is very interesting and I guess will require a lot of time to complete.

Yeah, it is detailed. There is a one-page version that sums it all up. If you're familiar with some of the early steps, you can skim over them: https://mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com/2017/09/noir-style-tutorial-pt-20-process-quick.html ;

• Margaery Tyrell

WOW. I really like this. Great skin tone and shadows, with just the right amount of detail on the hair. The shine on the hair looks very natural. What was your process/technique/filters on this? And what is the base figure?

• tkdrobert said:

Another go at my Twilek Smuggler

Twilek Smuggler by tkdrobert

This is a decent character design. Definitely someone you can spot from a distance, which is always a good thing. I do think the colors are too dark, though. And I don't know what other color to suggest, but her red outfit against her green skin is kinda making me think of Christmas. Maybe swap the colors? Brown outfit with red vest? just a thought. I like her expression, btw. Nice job.

HO HO HO! LOL!

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137

The shadows sit nicely

thank you :)

Multiple things. One is to experiement and work with artwork using Traditional, digital, and 3d rendering into one.

The horse I created was the mixture of of three styles (hairs were drawn along with Daz horse 2). I did the coloring with clip grab studios while finishing it with photoshop.

Margaery Tyrell

WOW. I really like this. Great skin tone and shadows, with just the right amount of detail on the hair. The shine on the hair looks very natural. What was your process/technique/filters on this? And what is the base figure?

Thank you mmitchell_houston ​! The process is fairly simple. I used genesis 3 female as a base along with full body and head morphs. After that, I begin the shading like this:

For video tutorials, pratical daz set up how to use manga styles in youtube

1.) Go to Surface and rendering. Select the entire surface of the model and apply manga style shaders. Use control click on the entire model to keep the images

2.) turn the first screentone 1 into sketchy 3, the second screentone is bare/empty while 3 and 4 are set to screentone "sketchy" 1

3.) I saved the face image of the character and upload to Photoshop, I turn the image to black and white while using filter gallery and torn edges. (the purpose is to create the brows, using the hair color as a primary and skin color as secondary.

4.) Once you're save and create your face image, create a new image of the same skin color you're using for the entire body (unless you're going to apply a tattoo, its not too hard). 

5.) In the tab for manga style, there are 5 colours, apply the image to colour- paper and colour-2 (for shadow effect, apply a gray colour).

check it out in render preview, whic will display a flat color. I save the render and send it to clip grab for coloring. :) 

for video tutorials, pratical daz set up how to use manga styles in youtube

• @AlmightyQUEST  Thank you.  I haven't gotten back to this yet.  Been busy on a writing project so haven't been rendering quite as much this month.  I tend to agree, after looking at it again, that the green grass might be just a tad too green.  I do like the saturation on the rest of it.  I'll keep those comments in mind when I manage to get back to it.  

tkdrobert said:

Another go at my Twilek Smuggler

Twilek Smuggler by tkdrobert

Love her! awesome work! :)

Love the screen tone in this. also likeing that you used manga studio for the postwork effect

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2017

I'm struggling with an issue of scale. I can't decide if the skull and rocks in this image interfere with the sense of scale i'm attempting. The spire in the middle is supposed to be huge -- but I'm thinking it needs something else in the image to help set the scale. Any thoughts or suggestions? And, BTW, this is an almost-unretouched render, so please excuse how sloppy it is.The lighting isn't even final on it, and I need to add some texture and fix a lot of things.

Also, this is the first page of my comic story. It's the establishing shot. Dialogue will be coming out of the top of the mountain and there will be a cave visible up there.

Test_NOSkull.jpg
    517 x 800 - 53K
    Test_Skull.jpg
    517 x 800 - 58K
    Test_Skull_NoRocks.jpg
    517 x 800 - 54K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • Been working on this for the past day and a half. It's a panel from my upcoming comic book story. I need to put this into context of the entire page to make sure I have the thickness of the inking correct, but in general, I kinda like it. BTW: I wound up having to create the ring from scratch. I needed a ring that was really simple and iconic -- inasmuch as detail tends to get lost in this style, and comics is the art of simplification, I just wanted a huge diamond on a simple ring. I had the gemstone, so I created the ring out three toruses (torusi? My Latin is lousy!). I then scaled and placed the ring and the two ring mounts, created a group and parented it to her hand. The rest is as usual: V4 in Poser 11, clean-up in Photoshop and final work in Manga Studio 5 EX (aka Clip Studio Paint 5 EX).

Love the screen tone in this. also likeing that you used manga studio for the postwork effect

Thanks very much! I'm pretty pleased with this panel -- it fits perfectly into the story and I think it really does a good job of telling the story that she's happy (nay, giddy) to find this ring amidst all the treasure.

• The shadows sit nicely

thank you :)

Multiple things. One is to experiement and work with artwork using Traditional, digital, and 3d rendering into one.

The horse I created was the mixture of of three styles (hairs were drawn along with Daz horse 2). I did the coloring with clip grab studios while finishing it with photoshop.

Margaery Tyrell

Thank you mmitchell_houston ​! The process is fairly simple. I used genesis 3 female as a base along with full body and head morphs. After that, I begin the shading like this:

For video tutorials, pratical daz set up how to use manga styles in youtube

1.) Go to Surface and rendering. Select the entire surface of the model and apply manga style shaders. Use control click on the entire model to keep the images

2.) turn the first screentone 1 into sketchy 3, the second screentone is bare/empty while 3 and 4 are set to screentone "sketchy" 1

3.) I saved the face image of the character and upload to Photoshop, I turn the image to black and white while using filter gallery and torn edges. (the purpose is to create the brows, using the hair color as a primary and skin color as secondary.

4.) Once you're save and create your face image, create a new image of the same skin color you're using for the entire body (unless you're going to apply a tattoo, its not too hard). 

5.) In the tab for manga style, there are 5 colours, apply the image to colour- paper and colour-2 (for shadow effect, apply a gray colour).

check it out in render preview, whic will display a flat color. I save the render and send it to clip grab for coloring. :) 

for video tutorials, pratical daz set up how to use manga styles in youtube

Thanks so much for taking time to elaborate in such detail. i'll definitely come back to this and give it a shot next time I'm ready to work in color, because I think you've really got something here (and I'm pretty sure I bought those shaders you referenced).

• tkdrobert said:

The Battleship Yamato:

Yamato II by tkdrobert

I like this one quite a bit (loved the old Star*Blazers series, by the way). If I may, I would suggest moving that colored nebula a little to our right, so that it lines up better with the conning tower. I think that would move our eyes more to the bridge of the ship and improve the composition a little bit. I would also suggest making the bottom ships brighter so they stand out against the background better. Just a few thoughts -- you know I love looking at your work.

head wax said:

thanks for commenting on the Cow Chucking Device/  [You're welcome! -- MM]

Thanks. I use Photoshop to do my initial clean-up: I trim extra lines (especially around her wings), white-out errors and then run the Adjustments>Threshold to convert everything to "pure" black & white.

Then I go to Manga Studio to do the rest of my finishes. I add extra weight to the lines around her body (like on her arms). This is easier in MS because the ink tool will automatically add a thin start and finish to my ink line (it simulates having a pressure-sensitve tablet and stylus). I then add the diagonal-line shading. And yes, the flash burst was a built-in texture that shipped with MS. I just dragged and dropped it, scaled it a little bit, and it was done. MS has lots of useful little textures built in. 

Another thing that MS does better than Photoshop relates to those diagonal lines I use for shading. You see, I can scale the image when I export it, and the lines stay exactly the same. That is, If I export the image at 100% or at 50%, the tone lines do not get closer together. If I tell the program that I want all my screens to use 60 lpi, the tones will remain at 60 lpi no matter what size I choose for final export. This is an awesome feature for print comics.

thanks for explaining that, you are very generous

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

Phantom: The Second Take

Carrara render.

The grain is from Carrara's sand filter plugin (free),

I used a distant light first on 2000 lumens, then rendered it out at 400 lumens. combined in post with Toon Pro render and also coverage render.

I took it into Corel Paint and ran a distress  filter over it

then tinted it blue in PS by adding a layer, filling it with blue and changing parameter to 'Colour'

edited October 2017
    head wax said:

Phantom: The Second Take -- Carrara render. 

The grain is from Carrara's sand filter plugin (free), I used a distant light first on 2000 lumens, then rendered it out at 400 lumens. combined in post with Toon Pro render and also coverage render.

I took it into Corel Paint and ran a distress  filter over it then tinted it blue in PS by adding a layer, filling it with blue and changing parameter to 'Colour' 

I really love the Phantom (big fan of his Charlton Comics series, moreso than the comic strip, if I'm being honest), and this is a great tribute to him. I really love the finishes, and really appreciate the detail you provided on your technique. I've got to ask a really blunt question, though (and I hope you don't mind): Is the Sand Plugin prividing an effect that you couldn't get in Photoshop with a grain or noise filter? I do like the distress filter -- it adds a lot of nice variance to the background noise. I really appreciate that it's done in-camera during the render process (I think that is SUPER cool), but the final output looks like a noise filter. I do really like the way your color fits in perfectly with his traditional purple costume, by the way. GREAT choice there. Overall, really cool work.

BTW: I was going to say that his "package" looked really impressive, but when I shrank it down for the quote, it actually doesn't look that... um... big. It looks pretty normal. I think it was just a matter of our line of sight falling right at his waist and the stripe drawing my attention to it. As I said, in the smaller image, it doesn't look as big. I also think your setting is really interesting. Something I haven't seen before. I like it. The whole thing has a nice pulp feel to it.

edited October 2017

Sorry -- Duplicate post!

Test2_Updated.jpg
    517 x 800 - 64K
    edited October 2017

What do you guys think. Do the added trees and scrub help convey the sense of scale I'm attempting?

BTW: This is an unretouched render. The only thing I did in Photoshop was add the gray fill for the sky.

• tkdrobert said:

MECH vs Kaiju.  I've been wanting to do a render like this for awhile.

Mech vs Kaiju by tkdrobert

You mentioned being concerned with the shadows (compared to the moon). I agree that I like the shadow direction and the way the figures are lit this way, rather than trying to switch them around to rim lighting from the moon and city, but I also like the moon in the shot. If you're concerned about a light source, it could always be a military base with a lot of artificial lighting, or a helicopter with a flood light. Those sort of things always seem to be around fights like this :) . If the lighting were warmer, it could be something on fire. I think I mentioned the metal on one of your images before, but I do particularly like the effect on the mech.

Looking for feedback, let me know what you think.

I still like the colors and the saturation, and still think if you were looking to alter anything it might be to experiement with stronger outlines, or possibly finer outlines to get a more painted look.

• Been working on this for the past day and a half. It's a panel from my upcoming comic book story. I need to put this into context of the entire page to make sure I have the thickness of the inking correct, but in general, I kinda like it. BTW: I wound up having to create the ring from scratch. I needed a ring that was really simple and iconic -- inasmuch as detail tends to get lost in this style, and comics is the art of simplification, I just wanted a huge diamond on a simple ring. I had the gemstone, so I created the ring out three toruses (torusi? My Latin is lousy!). I then scaled and placed the ring and the two ring mounts, created a group and parented it to her hand. The rest is as usual: V4 in Poser 11, clean-up in Photoshop and final work in Manga Studio 5 EX (aka Clip Studio Paint 5 EX).

Looks good, I really like the way the gray wash and the half tone lines work together to create a variety of textures in this.

Margaery Tyrell

Thanks for sharing about your process on this, I was going to ask that as well :D I like the overall soft, airbrush sort of feel you get from this.

• I'm struggling with an issue of scale. I can't decide if the skull and rocks in this image interfere with the sense of scale i'm attempting. The spire in the middle is supposed to be huge -- but I'm thinking it needs something else in the image to help set the scale. Any thoughts or suggestions? And, BTW, this is an almost-unretouched render, so please excuse how sloppy it is.The lighting isn't even final on it, and I need to add some texture and fix a lot of things.

Also, this is the first page of my comic story. It's the establishing shot. Dialogue will be coming out of the top of the mountain and there will be a cave visible up there.

Just removing the images to try to save space, since it's on the same page I think it'll be easy to keep track of (I hope).

If I'm reading the image right, is the skull about human-head sized, and near the front of the frame, with the tower in the distance? If that's the case, I think the small rocks near the skull help with the scale, but removing the rocks near the tower helps make it look much larger than the surrouding area. Maybe if there were a tone/texture starting in the middle ground to make it clear there is a dune/cliff/hill or some other "edge" near the frame that we are looking out past? I think that would help with the perspective. I think it's clearly reading as "big", but making it look further away would make it massive if that's the intent.

• head wax said:

Phantom: The Second Take

Carrara render.

The grain is from Carrara's sand filter plugin (free),

I used a distant light first on 2000 lumens, then rendered it out at 400 lumens. combined in post with Toon Pro render and also coverage render.

I took it into Corel Paint and ran a distress  filter over it

then tinted it blue in PS by adding a layer, filling it with blue and changing parameter to 'Colour'

I like the atmosphere in this picture, really good at setting the mood. I like this style of art, and I think the color is just right to be subtle but effective. I've shown my preferences towards the bold, black and white style, and I like how this is a bit softer to help enhance that mood. Really cool work.

What do you guys think. Do the added trees and scrub help convey the sense of scale I'm attempting?

BTW: This is an unretouched render. The only thing I did in Photoshop was add the gray fill for the sky.

I think this does do a better job scale wise.

This discussion has been closed.