DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.9!

Comments

• edited December 1969

It probably tried to install them before DS4.8 beta itself finished installing. For the Photoshop 3D Bridge you need to have the path to Photoshop set in the Settings > Applications tab.

Thank you, that did it:)
    I have it all installed now, not sure why it did not work first, I had to re start my iMac and after that it worked.
    Put the path in for Photosohop and that installed well.

Petra

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

It probably tried to install them before DS4.8 beta itself finished installing. For the Photoshop 3D Bridge you need to have the path to Photoshop set in the Settings > Applications tab.

Thank you, that did it:)
    I have it all installed now, not sure why it did not work first, I had to re start my iMac and after that it worked.
    Put the path in for Photosohop and that installed well.

Petrayah, there should be a note somewhere, lol. Install Studio first, then install all the other stuff. I had a similar error, because DIM tried to install the shader and lights stuff, before Studio had been dumped into the computer, lol.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

bohemian3 said:
    "... the biggest annoyance is just trying to find the map in the first place outside of Daz. It's like the endless clocking threw folders, camera hallway effect, lol.

I know the feeling - I use the DAZ Installer --> Show installed files all the time for this !

Curiosity ... wouldn't it be faster to go to the surface tab, click on the map that you want to change and right-click and Browse?

edited March 2015

Kerya said:

bohemian3 said:

One annoying detail: in 3Delight shaders, you can flip positive and negatives for displacement. So, for example, min displacement 5 and max displacement -5. This effectively inverts the map.

This doesn't work in Iray, which can be annoying.

Find the file, Open it in an image editor, invert it there, and save as Whatevername_N or something like that. Agreed, annoying when you just want to get something done.

I've had to do that with so much stuff (Spec maps, reflection strength maps, etc), the biggest annoyance is just trying to find the map in the first place outside of Daz. It's like the endless clocking threw folders, camera hallway effect, lol.

I know the feeling - I use the DAZ Installer --> Show installed files all the time for this !

Curiosity ... wouldn't it be faster to go to the surface tab, click on the map that you want to change and right-click and Browse?If I wanted to just select maps for that surface in Daz Studio, lol.

Doesn't work so well from within GIMP, for editing the maps :smirk:

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    bohemian3 said:
    "... the biggest annoyance is just trying to find the map in the first place outside of Daz. It's like the endless clocking threw folders, camera hallway effect, lol.

Curiosity ... wouldn't it be faster to go to the surface tab, click on the map that you want to change and right-click and Browse?If I wanted to just select maps for that surface in Daz Studio, lol.

No - select that map, browse to location - and you find the folder with all the maps, now you know where they are stored ... it leads you to your Windows explorer window where you can copythe adress bar, so you don't have to go "clocking threw folders" ...
    From that folder you can right-click on map and load in GIMP.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    bohemian3 said:
    Find the file, Open it in an image editor, invert it there, and save as Whatevername_N or something like that. Agreed, annoying when you just want to get something done.

I’ve had to do that with so much stuff (Spec maps, reflection strength maps, etc), the biggest annoyance is just trying to find the map in the first place outside of Daz. It’s like the endless clocking threw folders, camera hallway effect, lol.

Curiosity ... wouldn't it be faster to go to the surface tab, click on the map that you want to change and right-click and Browse?

If I wanted to just select maps for that surface in Daz Studio, lol.

No - select that map, browse to location - and you find the folder with all the maps, now you know where they are stored ... it leads you to your Windows explorer window where you can copythe adress bar, so you don't have to go "clocking threw folders" ...
    From that folder you can right-click on map and load in GIMP.Now where do I paste the path into? To save the map that was just inverted?

GimpSave_Box001.png
    778 x 683 - 37K
    edited December 1969

Oh - you mean saving in GIMP!
    But shouldn't GIMP offer to save it first to the folder where you opened the file from?
    (My version of GIMP is probably outdated)

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:
    ccbn213 said:
    Can anyone explain to me exactly how to convert my shaders to Iray?
    There is a preset in the Shader presets folder under Iray, called (Presuming you installed the Public Beta Content) !Iray Uber Base which will automatically convert your current materials to their Iray equivalent, using the same autoconvert that rendering an unconverted shader uses.

You can adjust them from there to your taste.

Oh. Okay. Thank you. I wasn't certain if that's what it meant. So, if I placed a shader on an object ( like a sphere etc) I could make a folder of preset Iray shaders?Yes

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    But shouldn't GIMP offer to save it first to the folder where you opened the file from?
    no, it goes to the last folder something was saved in, just like here using IrfanView.

I opened the map from the Daz Surface Select thing, inverted it, now to save it...

Ivier_SaveAs_001.png
    1827 x 1100 - 382K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...one thing I've noticed when working with Iray shaders and changing colours in the surfaces tab, is that the colour channels use a different scale (0 - 1.0) than the colour chart (0 - 255) that comes up when you click on them. This tends to add a level of confusion when trying to perform slight variances in colour of an item. I know one can place the cursor over a numeric value in the channel and change it by moving the cursor left or right. However, it requires an incredibly deft hand to do so, compared to using the up down controls on the colour chart.

As small issue but one worth noting.

Linear color, vs. Gamma corrected color. / click gives you the 0-1 range.
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    no, it goes to the last folder something was saved in, just like here using IrfanView.

I opened the map from the Daz Surface Select thing, inverted it, now to save it...

I got in the habit of keeping a pen and tablet handy so that I could write down where the original file is installed bit of a hassle but it works

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Now where do I paste the path into? To save the map that was just inverted?
    Doesn't the loaded-from location show up under 'Recently Used'?

That UI is foreign to me, unfortunately. In most OS's you can drag from the Finder/Explorer/Konqueror/Nautilus window onto a save window, and it'll reset its save-to path to whatever you dragged and dropped.

Or it should show up under Recently Used, like a good tool. :)

-- Morgan

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...one thing I've noticed when working with Iray shaders and changing colours in the surfaces tab, is that the colour channels use a different scale (0 - 1.0) than the colour chart (0 - 255) that comes up when you click on them. This tends to add a level of confusion when trying to perform slight variances in colour of an item. I know one can place the cursor over a numeric value in the channel and change it by moving the cursor left or right. However, it requires an incredibly deft hand to do so, compared to using the up down controls on the colour chart.

As small issue but one worth noting.

Linear color, vs. Gamma corrected color. / click gives you the 0-1 range.
    ...OK thanks.
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    (My version of GIMP is probably outdated)no, it goes to the last folder something was saved in, just like here using IrfanView.

I got in the habit of keeping a pen and tablet handy so that I could write down where the original file is installed bit of a hassle but it works

Agreed, and it's even more fun, working between many heard drives, lol. It's limitations of Gimp, IrfanView, and Windows. Rat-hole!

B.O.T. Swapping the displacement min max in Iray dose not work to invert a bump map. :shut:
    One annoying detail: in 3Delight shaders, you can flip positive and negatives for displacement. So, for example, min displacement 5 and max displacement -5. This effectively inverts the map.

This doesn't work in Iray, which can be annoying.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited March 2015

I've discovered my PC is only allocating a little more than 10% of my System RAM for the integrated graphics on my computer. That's roughly 1.69GB out of 16GB. :( I went looking into it because some scenes that render fine in 3DL choke when rendering with Iray. I think I'm running out of memory, which makes sense if DS/Iray has less than 2GBs available.)

I did some research online and found for some EFI/UEFI bios computers, you can go into the bios and allocate more. Sadly, HP has dumbed-down the bios considerably. When I talked to tech support about it over another issue, they informed me all of the bios functions can be controlled via Windows now, Windows 8. I bought this computer specifically because it came with Win7Pro.

So I got to thinking, Photoshop lets us tell it how much RAM to use via preferences. And I'm sure a lot of other programs do, too.

Wouldn't that be a nice feature for DAZ Studio? Especially with Iray, for those times when the scene is too big to fit on the video card's memory, or for users who don't have an Nvidia video card and have to rely on the CPU all the time.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • BellaBella Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

Daz 4.8 - in Window > Panes > ......

I can't find anymore ..... Look at my hair (free)

where is it?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

where is it?

I don't know, but my own "rule of thumb" is if something is there in 4.7 but missing in 4.8, I first uninstall it via DIM and then reinstall it.

Of course, if you aren't using DIM to install everything, you can still uninstall and reinstall manually...

edited December 1969

ACross said:

where is it?

I don't know, but my own "rule of thumb" is if something is there in 4.7 but missing in 4.8, I first uninstall it via DIM and then reinstall it.

Of course, if you aren't using DIM to install everything, you can still uninstall and reinstall manually...

Perfect, thank you! your rule worked for me too! :D (I used the DIM)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

If this is your first public beta then plug-ins and shaders will need to be reinstalled - the public beta has its own application folder, which is why it can co-exist with the production build, so anything that needs files inside the application folder - as plug-ins and most shaders do - has to be installed after the beta. Once that's done you won't have to do it again unless the plug-in or shader is updated.

edited March 2015

If this is your first public beta then plug-ins and shaders will need to be reinstalled - the public beta has its own application folder, which is why it can co-exist with the production build, so anything that needs files inside the application folder - as plug-ins and most shaders do - has to be installed after the beta. Once that's done you won't have to do it again unless the plug-in or shader is updated.

Thank you, indeed I couldn't understand why I had both 4.7 & 4.8 installed, I thought I got wrong somewhere! Thanks for the info Richard!

Post edited by Bella on
    edited December 1969

Note there are some plug-ins that due to things that need to be added in specific places, that do not work with the Beta. While what Richard said is correct in General there are exceptions.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

In 3Delight, I often found it useful to render at 2x normal size and then scale in post, because there'd be details that wouldn't render properly otherwise.

I'm finding that that's generally not as important in Iray, which is a good thing, because the memory load to do the big stuff would otherwise strain my computer. ;)

edited December 1969

Note there are some plug-ins that due to things that need to be added in specific places, that do not work with the Beta. While what Richard said is correct in General there are exceptions.

thanks, this was the first issue that I've found, I'll keep that in mind!

edited December 1969

In 3Delight, I often found it useful to render at 2x normal size and then scale in post, because there'd be details that wouldn't render properly otherwise.

I'm finding that that's generally not as important in Iray, which is a good thing, because the memory load to do the big stuff would otherwise strain my computer. ;)

I also had to scale my renders!

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

Is there any way to save lights and the environment together? It would be useful for making myself presets.

edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:
    Is there any way to save lights and the environment together? It would be useful for making myself presets.
    Edit -> Save As - Scene Subset.
    Opens a dialog window where you can decide what parts to save.
  • SapperBobishSapperBobish Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

where is the Mimic or Lip Sync in this New Daz?
    I Paid for Mimic Live, is it not going to Work in New Daz 4.8?
    will a Mimic or Lip Sync be in the Works?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Are environment maps for Iray spherical or lonlat?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

I'm still getting this for a render:
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.8 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.10 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout

Can anyone give me a clue what that is about?
    It's come up before when I tried using OptiX physics, but I'm not doing that now... and it's only doing it on this one particular project.

edited March 2015

Khory said:
    Are environment maps for Iray spherical or lonlat?
    Guessing spherical from other posts elsewhere. Some threads almost a year old (elsewhere), indicate that Iray is incapable of using 'latlong' environment maps. Sounds like time for a graph-paper test of sorts.

timmins.william, there was some chatter about timers and issuing to many chunks at a time. This may be related. The Iray code knows how long a chunk should take to calculate on the graphics card, and when that time is exceeded, well things complain like that. A thread or two back, there was some chatter about updating drivers, tho I suspect that my not be the only factor as windows desktop, and other stuff is also asking the Graphics card to do stuff as well (on some systems).

IF my 8600GT was capable of Iray, I'm sure I could force error codes like that by trying to run a game and Iray at the same time, lol. A simple webpage video (youtube for example) may even do it, lol.

The error is akin to the LEM 1201 and 1202 errors. It's saying that the Graphics card is to buisy to get all the tasks done in the 'Allotted time'. So the less important stuff is just being postponed or dropped at the end.

sapperizzish, I don't know. If reinstalling the stuff after installing the Beta didn't do the trick. I am aware that some things have never been fixed/updated, tho I don't have the plug-ins you speak of, so I'm not sure. (EDIT) Some things are not made by daz3d, and not the responsibility and/or feasible for Daz3d to fix or update them. That is up to the PA that made the stuff, for the most part.